Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prowler posted:

Eunie and Taion are able to get some decent character growth outside of the main story. Lanz is consistently able to be more than a one-note character (and is given moments of brilliance that are logical and not the standard "jock knows theoretical physics out of no where" cliche). Sena.

Lanz knows the best party composition and everyone else is just jealous. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aside from her acension quest I don't really get the whole thing about Sena never getting development.

She seems to get similar focus to the rest of the cast. Maybe a tad less but not by that noticeable an extent.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Sena is cool and my friend. She is invited to my wedding.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sena feels like she's just kind of there as a hanger on for much of the game, but that's like, explicitly a character trait that other characters comment on and we even get flashbacks about. They could have gone harder into her connection/similarities to that other character though.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

TurnipFritter posted:

Sena feels like she's just kind of there as a hanger on for much of the game, but that's like, explicitly a character trait that other characters comment on and we even get flashbacks about. They could have gone harder into her connection/similarities to that other character though.

Yeah, the last part is where I'm at. They had ample time to mine that connection further and kind of left things mostly unsaid when (Chapter 5) adding just a few lines in and around the prison with Sena mentioning how hellish the front lines of Agnus/Keves were for the rank and file (or her specifically), or making a passing reference to interest in art in the City, rather than just being kind of a doormat would have added a fantastic layer of depth.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 2, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, her passivity/people pleasing/etc. is very much a thing. She cares about people to her own detriment, tries to emulate others instead of being herself, and downplays her own accomplishments. There's a lot of good characterization there, but one of the problems is that those character traits explicitly keep her away from the spotlight. And it culminates in Sena's story being about Ghondor. It doesn't help that I really, really don't like Ghondor, but I wanted to see more of Sena and have the spotlight focus on her for a while and go deeper into her past and what helped to shape her into the person she is in the game.

And to be fair, some of Sena's moments of characterization were very good. I liked her one on one chats with Lanz. They both fell into that role of being the "muscle" for the group and not really having that much strong will of their own. Eunie and Taion have their support/tactics/healing role, while Noah and Mio are the officers that they're assigned to protect. There's definitely that inferiority complex thing they have going where they just don't recognize that they are as much of a part of the team as anyone else.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
The cool thing about the ending is that when Eunie says Taion is her 4th most favorite guy, she might have been giving him a coded complement due to the fact that Eunie loves collecting fourtune clovers and knows Taion knows that. She already turned Taion into a stammering, blushing mess when she mentioned having a reliable guy.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sylvian Wastes posted:

The cool thing about the ending is that when Eunie says Taion is her 4th most favorite guy, she might have been giving him a coded complement due to the fact that Eunie loves collecting fourtune clovers and knows Taion knows that. She already turned Taion into a stammering, blushing mess when she mentioned having a reliable guy.

she calls him her best bud, not friend or favorite guy. it is the only time she refers to anyone as a bud in the entire game. i don't think it's really a maybe.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ManSedan posted:

Sena is cool and my friend. She is invited to my wedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAHONEXHimM

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Nov 2, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alright, through the Chapter 5 end but now starting the cutscenes at the beginning of Chapter 6.

A complaint I have about this game, that I've had for the rest of the series as well, is that the script would really benefit from a few editing passes for brevity. Too many cutscenes go on for too long, with characters reiterating the same points, that when something really impactful happens, half the time I've already tuned it out. I like the plot, I like the characters, I just wish the cutscenes were more focused.

Like so many cutscenes will follow this pattern endlessly:

NOAH: I just feel like the purpose of life... Is to live.
MIO: To live... *stares down pensively*
EUNIE: What the spark are you talking about? Of course it's to live!
TAION: To live... An interesting theory. I shall have to test it. Logically, it would seem to be correct.
LANZ: Then I'm gonna live every snuffin day to the fullest!
SENA: Huh, to live? I can kinda see it.
NOAH: Yes. That's what I think. We're here to live... And that's why we have lives.
RIKKU: Noah think rightly!

With several seconds of pausing between each line, it really drags!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's basically this, yes

(This isn't to say I didn't enjoy XBC3, I think it's amazing, but wow it is frequently subtle as a hammer)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I don’t know if the long pauses in so many lines are normal in Japanese and had to be kept in the dub for lip-syncing purposes, but they do feel really bizarre in English

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tender Bender posted:

Alright, through the Chapter 5 end but now starting the cutscenes at the beginning of Chapter 6.

A complaint I have about this game, that I've had for the rest of the series as well, is that the script would really benefit from a few editing passes for brevity. Too many cutscenes go on for too long, with characters reiterating the same points, that when something really impactful happens, half the time I've already tuned it out. I like the plot, I like the characters, I just wish the cutscenes were more focused.

Like so many cutscenes will follow this pattern endlessly:

NOAH: I just feel like the purpose of life... Is to live.
MIO: To live... *stares down pensively*
EUNIE: What the spark are you talking about? Of course it's to live!
TAION: To live... An interesting theory. I shall have to test it. Logically, it would seem to be correct.
LANZ: Then I'm gonna live every snuffin day to the fullest!
SENA: Huh, to live? I can kinda see it.
NOAH: Yes. That's what I think. We're here to live... And that's why we have lives.
RIKKU: Noah think rightly!

I feel like this is way worse in 3. I don't remember anything quite like juniper's intro quest in 1, X or 2.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Imo Juniper's intro is definitely the lowest point of the game, writing wise. I think I've become largely immune to repeated conversation syndrome, though. Some games like Persona are way, way worse, to the point I've barely noticed it in this game. Also, the first game has Dunban repeat the same line like 50 times in the last few chapters.

Narratively, there's something to be said about Noah trying to keep the party focused on their collective goal because their plot victories are hard fought and often costly, but I also think repeated conversations are deliberate to keep the player focused on the party's motive, assuming they are playing the game more episodically in 2-3 hour chunks, and also maybe just a quirk of JP scripts in general.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 2, 2022

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I thought the weird pauses and slow deliveries were worse in XB2, but it's still noticeable in this one. I don't remember it being that bad in 1, but 2 seemed jarring in comparison when I first got it. I forget about X, tbh I skipped a lot of scenes in that one.

The other thing that drives me crazy is characters repeating back what they just heard as a question. That's more of a genre complaint than an issue in XB3. I enjoy these games a lot, but it's rare for JRPGs to have anything close to tight writing.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Tight writing...?!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Mea Tulpa posted:

The other thing that drives me crazy is characters repeating back what they just heard as a question.

:same:

Ah, exposition time. Good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mea Tulpa posted:

I thought the weird pauses and slow deliveries were worse in XB2, but it's still noticeable in this one. I don't remember it being that bad in 1, but 2 seemed jarring in comparison when I first got it. I forget about X, tbh I skipped a lot of scenes in that one.

The other thing that drives me crazy is characters repeating back what they just heard as a question. That's more of a genre complaint than an issue in XB3. I enjoy these games a lot, but it's rare for JRPGs to have anything close to tight writing.

It’s funny you say that’s a JRPG thing when I’m pretty sure the thing most know for that is Metal Gear solid

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s funny you say that’s a JRPG thing when I’m pretty sure the thing most know for that is Metal Gear solid

Metal Gear?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

A Writing to surpass metal gear.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

any game that’s translated from Japanese is gonna have at least a bit of awkwardness because Japanese is just a really different language from English.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Glad I'm not the only one feeling this. I will say I run into this across gaming, I think the lack of runtime restrictions or other limits plus undervaluing of writers means a lot of scripts end up way longer and more rambly then they need to be. It bums me out because I really like this game but twenty minutes into a cutscene when something dramatic happens I'm just tired.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Idk if it's just games these days. 20 years ago games like Golden Sun were doing the same thing but with dialogue boxes. GS was special because of those stupid emoticons that slowed everything down.

Augus posted:

any game that’s translated from Japanese is gonna have at least a bit of awkwardness because Japanese is just a really different language from English.

Localization should clean some of that up, but there's no real fix for rambling text.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I think the writers might have gotten too enthusiastic about writing this party of people who have a perspective on everything thats about 30 degrees off the norm.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I don't even care about long rambling dialogue, outside of that one ascension quest. Some of the conversations in 3 just seem like they're written by chat bots, like half the time when someone starts talking about an abstract idea they stop having a conversation and just start delivering a series of non sequiturs that are generate via markov chain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

I don't even care about long rambling dialogue, outside of that one ascension quest. Some of the conversations in 3 just seem like they're written by chat bots, like half the time when someone starts talking about an abstract idea they stop having a conversation and just start delivering a series of non sequiturs that are generate via markov chain.

Yeah when a character goes off into a billion platitudes I tune the gently caress out.

There was also some weird localization stuff where characters broke into modern slang in ways that were very ill-fitting

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
On the other hand a lot of the characterization was some of the best any Xenoblade has had and the main cast were lovely so anime is a land of contrasts

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Despite all that, I'm at the start of Chapter Six, and the game has cured me of wanting an immediate XCX remake since I'd rather spend the time with this crew in another sprawling 100-hour adventure :unsmith:

To compromise, the menu theme can be the NLA Day theme.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I'm loving the fact that people are noticing Noah's mantits get really well defined and noticeable in the flash fencer outfit and the lost vanguard outfit. People are already trying to mod out Noah's undershirt so the boob window in the flash fencer outfit works. Normally its covered by Noah's undershirt.
https://twitter.com/Pachipower417/status/1579118769867137025

Its becoming a meme that Mio quite likes when Noah's in outfits that emphasize his chest and rear end.
https://twitter.com/Byx_Xeno/status/1579302731621494785
https://twitter.com/Aegis_Asu/status/1579143562251636736

Just look at what the Lost Vanguard outfit does to Noah's rear end.
https://twitter.com/Gmaniacalt/status/1561733388763103234

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Tender Bender posted:

I had similar complaints early on and people here jumped on me so it’s good to see others agree. I don’t know if it’s just cultural differences or what but dialogue in cutscenes are straight up awkward and not how any natural conversation flows. I bet a large part of this is due to only having so much time to localize, record and edit what I’m sure is dozens of hours of media under duress of due dates, so I try to take that into consideration. Maybe it’s me but the writing and interactions amongst characters from the City onward seems much better and is making the game more enjoyable.

Quick question. I seem to be locked into a hero quest (Side Story: Lanz) and can’t leave the Cadensia Region through walking or location skipping. I’m only level 50 and can’t beat the consul for whatever reason, anybody have a recommended team build or tips for the fight?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"the characters aren't actually having a conversation they're just saying unrelated sentences near each other" is just how Xenoblade games sound. it's more apparent here because there's way more voiced dialogue than before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, i think the conversations flow pretty naturally? characters ramble a bit about vague philosophical ideas but if i was in this situation id also do that

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just got Soul Hacker and spent half an hour warping to every grave to beat the poo poo out of undead uniques. Am I understanding right that some of these skills, to upgrade, require you to just beat the same monster 15 times?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tender Bender posted:

Just got Soul Hacker and spent half an hour warping to every grave to beat the poo poo out of undead uniques. Am I understanding right that some of these skills, to upgrade, require you to just beat the same monster 15 times?

Are you referring to "kill n monsters with this skill set" requirements? I got confused about it too.
It's skill set, not skillset. A party member must equip the skill then go kill poo poo.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

There are some skills or arts that require you to beat the same unique 10-15 times for the upgrade. I don't remember any of the really good ones requiring that, so don't bother unless you're trying to upgrade everything for completion's sake.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Omobono posted:

Are you referring to "kill n monsters with this skill set" requirements? I got confused about it too.
It's skill set, not skillset. A party member must equip the skill then go kill poo poo.

No, talking about this one: it says 2/15, which matches up with the number of times I've killed it (first naturally, then going back to get the skill). There's a couple like this.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tender Bender posted:

No, talking about this one: it says 2/15, which matches up with the number of times I've killed it (first naturally, then going back to get the skill). There's a couple like this.

Yeah, there are a few, but it's not that many and those skills generally are forgettable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

You are correct. That is a decent move for a Soul Hacker Tank, and that unique is only like lv 8 or something so go hog wild.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tender Bender posted:

I had forgotten about those.
Just sneeze on the unique monsters 15 times in a row when at level 99 and fall asleep from boredom during the process I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah all of the ones with this so far I can beat on autopilot, just seems like an incredibly ancient jrpg-rear end grind in this jrpg-rear end series. I love Xenoblade.