Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Prop Wash posted:

Uhhhhh

The thing about this is not so much that my units were stuck up there, because they ended up scrambling down that solid cliff face, but rather that the enemy was apparently under the surface of the earth and I couldn't fight them. I know they were there because the enemy lord kept slapping me with that slaanesh whip.

Just saw a video on this last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwqV1MBtohI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

lol I managed to win the fight, I'm better than Legendoftotalwar!

One of the comments has the right idea, the enemy is weirdly stacked all on top of each other in a central point. Even without the minimap you should be able to see the enemy marker when you hold tab or when you're casting a spell. In my battle I didn't have magic so I stacked my melee units up on top and they slowly were able to do attack animations and kill the enemies until eventually everyone got tired and ran away. But also, avoid this map!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah I must admit that did seem an odd thing to admit in an interview because at the outset when they announced what they were focusing on for Immortal Empires, one of the things was an expanded or more interesting endgame. So if they really were sitting around 2 weeks before IE release without having addressed that and then very quickly threw together the endgame thing then that seems less than ideal. Personally I think it worked out because the endgame stuff is decent enough and they can refine it but it does point to a slight issue with their development process if a supposed core pillar of a big milestone had gone completely untouched for that long with so little time before release.

Alternatively it could be one of those lionised "oh we just threw the idea round 2 weeks before release" tall tales you get from game development and really it's more like 4 or 5 weeks and some members of the dev team had personal builds mucking about with it before they brought it to the rest of the team but they thought the former sounded cooler.

This was probably a case of "we had these X ideas that we were testing out, and they just were not coming together, so we pulled out the B-list and went 'okay, ya, we can make this work on the timeline we have left and easily layer more features on top of it, lets go with it'." And it worked out. This probably existed as a one pager with some fiddling on it and water cooler talk for weeks if not months before that conversation happened. There is no way they magically had time for a completely new feature in their sprint planning that wasn't accounted for, and that these nerds aren't also playing Stellaris. My money is on Knew they Needed End Game -> First Passes Didn't Work -> Let's Try B-Plan -> Hey, This Works, Ship It.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was probably left until near the end because it wasn't an essential feature and pushing it to a future patch wouldn't have been a big deal.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I could use some unmodded Kugath advice. After being narrowly beating Ghorst multiple ogre factions declare on me and without towers my garrisons can't hold them off. I'm out of units I can recruit and took heavy loses against the zombies.

I plan on restarting, any advice is appreciated.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I could use some unmodded Kugath advice. After being narrowly beating Ghorst multiple ogre factions declare on me and without towers my garrisons can't hold them off. I'm out of units I can recruit and took heavy loses against the zombies.

Maybe take advantage of the fact that Ghorst isn't at war with you at the start of the game and go south to the islands down there? it's occupied by elves, so way more squishy than ghorst. you might have to give him a bit of cash to keep him on your side or give him a settlement, but then you'd have two island provinces and more money to support you.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Ogreblob can be really rough because there’s like half a dozen different factions and they often don’t have anyone else to fight so they roll deep against you with a lot of “1 lord and 19 bulls” stacks. I had some trouble with them in my Ghorst game because I befriended Cathay, but at least my zombies regenerated on their own.

I feel like Ghorst’s provinces are kind of a pain anyway because all they do is open up more angles for Imrik and Cathay to mess with you. I’d echo the advice to let him live but that doesn’t really leave you many other options for expansion. Maybe try to leapfrog Ghorst and head into Cathay?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I’ve done the first 50 a couple of times. Have Ghorst pay for a war with those rats on turn 1. This holds Ghorst a bit longer and you can peace out with the rats by turn 10 for tons of $$. Let Ghorst do whatever while you wipe the lizards. If Ghorst does well enough, Cathay, Ogres, and Imrik will declare on him. Use the province to the north as a thunder dome and catch caravans and Ghorst stacks in ambush to fund building your starter province. The province is so good that if you pour all your $$ into it you will be able to rock a couple of stacks to expand. Islands to the south is good, and presence in the dark lands will bring opponents so you just have to go slow and fight your battles. Get a bunch of heroes from that starter province, the exalted champs especially are good at taking out Ghorts’s carts and mortis.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
do ogres have a diplomacy malus against poxmakers?

I thought like tomb kings they are true neutral (factoring in anti-player bias) so you can buy them off

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Played a Thorek campaign on VH and it was a real clusterfuck. I made the mistake of expanding north and east simultaneously, I got into a hellwar on all fronts with Kroq-gar, Khalida, Skaven, Kairos and Queek. Thank god Teclis was on my side because otherwise it would've been campaign over. It took like 40 turns to sort out that mess, Queek can get hosed with his bullshit stacks that spawn in a turn. After that I went further east, destroyed Ku'gath and bailed out Imrik from Grimgor. Chaos invasion triggered and I joined the ordertide with Ungrim and etc. I ended up going the distance and winning the long campaign, crisis was just vampires and they died before I even saw them. Super fun campaign, Ironbrows stack is fantastic and I made fun armies with flame cannons and poo poo for my secondary stacks. The only lovely thing is clearing out Kairos in the south, the entire wasteland is red and replenishment takes forever. What a boring slog that part was. I don't know how Oxyotl keeps dying so early in campaign, I don't think I've ever seen him survive 30 turns.

After that I did a Settra campaign because it's been awhile. I was worried about Tomb Kings with their old growth problems but that's all fixed. Man they are in a great place right now, perfect balance and such a chill campaign where you can really feel the momentum building up. It was a very breezy campaign and a ton of fun, you really get to use all of their units at various tiers now instead of fielding chaff for 75 turns. I had a ton of fun with the chariots this time too. I got the pyramid crisis which felt appropriate and wow that was a real challenge.

I'm thinking of giving Ku'gath a shot, never played him before. I'm worried I spoiled myself by doing Festus first.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Thanks for the heads up regarding island to the south, I didn't even realize they existed.

My new attempt is going better. I rushed down the lizardmen, fighting their lords with their garrisons instead of baiting them out with ambush stance. It meant the fights were harder, lost the flies and furies, but was able to reach the rats before they were destroyed.

Ghorst declared war on me the instant he learned of my existence but I was able to move my two crap stacks (kugath, 1 death chaos sorcerer lord, 1 caster hero, 7 nurglings, 4 plague bearers, and a beast of nurgle split between two armies) to the Skaven minor settlement before Ghorst.

Had an awesome fight where the Skaven garrison assisted in defeating Ghorst's army plus an entire additional army of undead. Only lost two units.

I was leveling up my heroes and lords wrong! Kugath needed the -8 leadership aura before that fight, which meant skipping his unique skills. I had my nurgle lore hero take Rancid Visitation instead of Stream of Corruption for the first time and using it along with Spirit Leech absolutely wrecked the Mortis Engine and Corpse Carts. The death lore lord ended up being better than my previous attempts with a nurgle sorcerer specifically because you can stack both spells at once which causes a massive leadership penalty due to recently taken damage.

Ghorst was able to beat everything else I threw his way in my previous attempts due to his mortis engine aura and massive regen. Flies, toads, plague bearers, it didn't matter he'd inflict devastating losses that I couldn't recover from. But an early chaos sorcerer lord was able to duel Ghorst and win! Ghorst unsuccessfully tried to avoid my mounted lord and wasn't able to contribute to the front lines at all.

Ghorst still has two settlements to the east that I plan on giving to my new Skaven military allies, once that is done I'll sail south to beat up the elves. I'll do my best to avoid contacting ogres until I'm ready for them.

Do AI Skaven suffer food penalties? Would I hurt my friends if I gave them too many settlements?

I'm really excited to add skaven artillery and weapon teams to my armies. This is the first time I've felt optimistic while playing non Festus Nurgle.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
As far as I can tell Ogres might be a tough matchup for Nurgle because they do not seem to have any units with anti-large bonuses in their entire roster - maybe a hole you can try and patch over with allied recruitment?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cranappleberry posted:

do ogres have a diplomacy malus against poxmakers?

I thought like tomb kings they are true neutral (factoring in anti-player bias) so you can buy them off

They do have an attitude malus towards nurgle factions, aversion is -40 by default. They also have a negative events multiplier against them, so when a nurgle faction does something they don't like, theres a 1.5 multiplier to that action.

Heres the table for ogres

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2022

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Last playthrough they sent a full stack of bulls, 50% dual wield anti-infantry, before I could research the regen army ability.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

My most recent legendary Karl campaign was off to a great start, in that I got a random captain in an event who I sent south and to Lustria to make contact with other factions. I got a few high elf trading pacts out of it, but otherwise it was just a cavalcade of factions declaring war on me as soon as we discovered each other.

There's some metaphor for colonialism in here somehow.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

They do have an attitude malus towards nurgle factions, aversion is -40 by default. They also have a negative events multiplier against them, so when a nurgle faction does something they don't like, theres a 1.5 multiplier to that action.

Heres the table for ogres

ty

Pierre McGuire posted:

As far as I can tell Ogres might be a tough matchup for Nurgle because they do not seem to have any units with anti-large bonuses in their entire roster - maybe a hole you can try and patch over with allied recruitment?

this is one of their biggest issues in multiplayer, as well. Almost no anti-large. Poxmakers also have a really bad economy despite the fact that they can crapstack nurglings cheaply.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Cranappleberry posted:

ty

this is one of their biggest issues in multiplayer, as well. Almost no anti-large. Poxmakers also have a really bad economy despite the fact that they can crapstack nurglings cheaply.

In my situation the solution would be recruiting allied jezails, right? I've not played Skaven since 2 so I'm not up to date on their ogre solutions.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Haha, what the gently caress Be'lakor.

I didn't realize I could just make portal anywhere, even using a Hero, and then they're just there forever with no way to destroy and shut them. I can just plop a portal next to Altdorf, port it, and start sacking? That is wild.

Edit: Oh and also just get to use the Nurgle Gift to enable replenishment in foreign territories.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 31, 2022

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I gave up on my Skarsnik campaign 70 turns in after I essentially won the campaign on hard.
As usual I never reach the doom stack level since I always do the fast expansion approach and it takes forever to reach tier 4-5 units.
So how do I doomstack in a shorter campaign?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

So I gave up on my Skarsnik campaign 70 turns in after I essentially won the campaign on hard.
As usual I never reach the doom stack level since I always do the fast expansion approach and it takes forever to reach tier 4-5 units.
So how do I doomstack in a shorter campaign?

It depends on the faction as certain doomstack units are easier to get then others.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Haha, what the gently caress Be'lakor.

I didn't realize I could just make portal anywhere, even using a Hero, and then they're just there forever with no way to destroy and shut them. I can just plop a portal next to Altdorf, port it, and start sacking? That is wild.

Edit: Oh and also just get to use the Nurgle Gift to enable replenishment in foreign territories.

It's an insane and hilarious mechanic yeah. Using the rifts to teleport around was one of the few bright points of the RoC campaign and I'm glad they kept it in for Be'Lakor.

It also works as a nice trick for grabbing the sword of khaine early on - sail over to the top of the donut before the elves know what's coming and open a portal right next to the shrine. You get to sack the cities around it and then jump into the portal to the safety of your start island when they send armies to try and intercept you. As soon as you get the notification for it being picked up you can jump right back and crush them before they have a chance to amass too much power. As stated previously in the thread, Be'Lakor himself is actually not the best candidate for the sword himself, but if you put that one of your human lords that ascends to demonhood you can really roll over the rest of the world.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Didn't expect my Kislev campaign to be about beating up Chaos nerds with my best buddy Throgg, but here we are.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

not a bot posted:

Didn't expect my Kislev campaign to be about beating up Chaos nerds with my best buddy Throgg, but here we are.

You have to tell us more about this.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

not a bot posted:

KING OF TROLLS

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Not using any mods, finally got my first Daemon Prince in Kugath's campaign and a recent update took away the Swarming Masses and Acidic Ichor skills. I'm done with this campaign, bleh. What is even the point of Daemon Princes if they don't have their faction specific special skills?

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
Does anyone have advice on the early game for Skarbrand, in terms of where to go and roughly what army comp to use early on?
I find that the top knots' regions are annoyingly spread apart, and the swamps with Malagor suck to move through, leading to terrible momentum in the first 10 or so turns.
Tomb Kings to the south are also a no go.

Is there maybe a Skarbrand Oregon Trail that I can take, leaving the starting settlement behind to fend for itself while I set up in a new, denser part of the map?

For army comp, would it be advisable to stick to mortal units and dogs, and use few of the expensive bloodletters until later?
Their armour piercing isn't put to great use against most T1/T2 units and while they chew through the enemy, they don't have great defensive stats so they get pretty banged up.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Any tips for an Ogre campaign? I know that camps are where you get your real units, that I should keep one at my main recruitment hub, and to aggressively put them down in places where I will conquer/farm as I expand and to tear them down once I've taken their host provinces. I think I should be keeping some of them in key chokepoints, was it?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There are three basic ideas with camps, with special note for your first camp.

1) Safe, adjacent to core settlements. You need at least one camp to tier up to 4-5 or your roster will be shamefully scrawny. You can also do this any time to have more places to refuel and found good armies from and to absolutely lock down key provinces by forcing the enemy to fight two locked spots to dislodge you. You also want a way to load armies up with meat if they need to travel to drop a camp somewhere else. Camps also have easy access to gold generation so it's better to have redundant camps in safe land then to run like 3/8 camps up.

2) Choke points. Camps have easy access to upkeep reduction so you can basically spawn a "minor settlement" and custom garrison anywhere you want. Combined with double garrisons in your actual settlements and a Gnoblar chaff stack Ogres can become incredibly rooted once they take land, go figure.

3) Aggressive camps. Doesn't matter if they die in a few turns, though if you don't have an army nearby the AI will snipe them hard. They'll raid in territory that isn't yours for money and the circle they generate lets you fight and conquer within it without meat loss. If you float 1-2 camps just for this that's alright, meat attrition is very severe. I assume Ogres are Ogres and don't discriminate so be careful dropping a forward camp in neutral or friendly land, raiding is a steady reputation drop.

Ogres are generally easy enough that you can play it by ear as long as you have the one tech tree safe camp. Greasus' province alone in RoC provides income for 2-3 good armies.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is this a base game feature or something from a mod: there have been targeted V-Coast raids throughout my Oxyotl game that have been popping in armies as a sort of 'mini end game'. It hasn't happened too frequently, and I only noticed after the latest iteration spawned a metric assload of full stacks off the west coast of Lustria.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Is this a base game feature or something from a mod: there have been targeted V-Coast raids throughout my Oxyotl game that have been popping in armies as a sort of 'mini end game'. It hasn't happened too frequently, and I only noticed after the latest iteration spawned a metric assload of full stacks off the west coast of Lustria.

Pretty sure this is from the Dynamic Disasters mod, which does have a Norscan/V-Coast raids mini crisis as an option.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

In my situation the solution would be recruiting allied jezails, right? I've not played Skaven since 2 so I'm not up to date on their ogre solutions.

jezzails are your best bet.

You used to be able to get above tier 3 units even with a tier 1 outpost but I don't know if that's still true. If it is, you could get warp lightning cannons which could also help but they come with some down sides- lower ammo, tend to miss more (even though ogres are big units), more expensive but also have greater range and far more damage. Also they depend on the skaven building the proper building chain up to tier 4.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Dude Sweet posted:

Does anyone have advice on the early game for Skarbrand, in terms of where to go and roughly what army comp to use early on?
I find that the top knots' regions are annoyingly spread apart, and the swamps with Malagor suck to move through, leading to terrible momentum in the first 10 or so turns.
Tomb Kings to the south are also a no go.

Is there maybe a Skarbrand Oregon Trail that I can take, leaving the starting settlement behind to fend for itself while I set up in a new, denser part of the map?

For army comp, would it be advisable to stick to mortal units and dogs, and use few of the expensive bloodletters until later?
Their armour piercing isn't put to great use against most T1/T2 units and while they chew through the enemy, they don't have great defensive stats so they get pretty banged up.

In my experience with Skarbrand, you are generally best off using Chaos Warriors as your line troops and keeping the Bloodletters in reserve for use against high armor targets (they can also chew up heroes pretty good). Grab a couple Skullcannons for ranged support and you're golden. Don't forget that Skullcannons regenerate both health and ammo if you put them into melee, and aren't terrible combatants, so once they shoot their shot you can use them to tie up weaker melee units.

As far as where to go, the beauty of Skarbrand is that he's basically a horde army without horde mechanics. Just pick a direction and go - keeping your rage-o-meter high will let you global recruit on the move. Don't worry about securing territory that isn't a major settlement, just sack and raze everything - you will auto-colonize the ruins eventually. All your income comes from sack bonuses and post-battle loot anyways so your "infrastructure" mostly exists to wear down enemy armies with attrition before they crash against the rocks of your main fortresses.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Any tips for an Ogre campaign? I know that camps are where you get your real units, that I should keep one at my main recruitment hub, and to aggressively put them down in places where I will conquer/farm as I expand and to tear them down once I've taken their host provinces. I think I should be keeping some of them in key chokepoints, was it?

Keep one near your main province to use as a recruitment hub and use the rest as forward bases to reduce upkeep and for economy if you've safely cleared a front.

Are you doing Greasus in IE? Get rid of Ghorst ASAP. Ku'Gath is not a big deal but if you let Ghorst start rolling he will come up north and start creating issues. Sometimes you get lucky and he fights with Ku'Gath instead but most of the time I find he goes up north. He usually gets a NAP with Zhao Ming but if he doesn't then he might go that way instead which makes your life easier. Definitely do not get a NAP with Ghorst by the way, you will piss off almost every other faction and get unnecessary wardecs later on. You might have to deal with Grimgor and other threats so you really don't want your southern front being eaten by VC. After that you can deal with Ku'Gath to end the annoying plagues and reassess. Sometimes you might already be in a hellwar with Grimgor, he's all over the place with where he expands to.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 2, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Pierre McGuire posted:

if you have the DLC, the nurgle exalted heroes on their horse mount are a good problem-solver against ogres, who also struggle against large-sized elite targets. those heroes are also a good solution to assassinating ghorst and popping corpse carts, since once they get their mounts they're reasonably mobile and won't easily get trapped by plain old zombies.

ogres also have kinda bad MA and MD by default, so having a beast of nurgle on top of the pile really slows down their offense. once you can get them, chaos warriors with either set of weapons really take advantage of ogres' bad melee stats and generally bad AP.

toasterwarrior posted:

In addition to doomykins's good-rear end advice, ogres are an all hammers faction. Your basic Ogre Bulls are reasonably fast and have surprisingly decent charge bonuses. against very slow enemies, you can just charge then back off and charge again, forever. If the enemy start chasing one part of your army, charge with another part. If you think of Ogre Bulls as low-tier Questing Knights or Chaos Knights, you're not far wrong.

If you really need to pin enemies to charge, stack gnoblars on top of ogres. Gnoblar Spears are fine but Gnoblar Trappers are even better. Ironguts and Maneaters can, with gnoblar support, reasonably handle even anti-large units on their own if those units are lower-tier or defensively inclined. You'll want to flank charge with another unit if you can, of course, and you'll definitely have to against units like Silverins, Phoenix Guard, or Celestial Dragons. This is just so you don't immediately fold to a bunch of Jade or Empire Halberds.

Gnoblar Trappers are very good. Don't think of them just as archers or skirmishers, think of them as special spearmen that also have a missile attack. They have an aura that slows down enemies and blunts charges, so they're great to stack on top of ogres, to blunt AOE melee attacks and simply debuff enemies while contributing a little bit of damage. And, unlike spearmen, the enemy will cheerfully charge them to get tarpitted (although don't expect the trappers to hold very long on their own ofc.) You can also recruit them very easily all over the place, and they're cheap to recruit and upkeep. They're my go-to unit to replace gaps in armies, and you always want a bunch of them.

Unlike most of the armies in TWW3's base game, ogres really want to tech up to their higher-tier units. You don't really have a low-tier spammable unit that's always good like Kossars or most marked Marauders or Jades. (Gnoblar Trappers are the closest but they don't really win fights on their own.) Ogre Bulls are kinda too expensive for what they are and need gnoblar support to win most grinding fights. They lose pretty badly to spearmen, archers, and scary melee combatants with good MA and MD. Pretty much everyone has a hard counter to basic ogre bulls.

You have a pretty clear progression to upgrade your basic dudes. Bulls with dual weapons do okay against spearmen, bulls with ironfists (ironfists are shields btw) won't completely melt to archers as long as you don't let them get shot all game, and both of them have enough anti-infantry or MD to do better against more elite infantry like lower-tier chaos, dwarf, and elf stuff.

From there, you have two basic options for Better Bulls. Ironguts have actual armor and enough MA/MD that they don't feel bad the way bulls can sometimes. They aren't particularly outstanding at anything but they're also never strictly bad (except against armor-piercing ranged attacks.) Maneaters are elite bulls with actual MA and MD and they absolutely gently caress, but they still have poo poo for armor so they still get deleted by shooting, which feels really bad since they take forever to recruit and cost a shitload. Maneaters with pistols are probably my favorite despite their relative fragility because they are still an elite infantry unit on top of having very good shooting.

The ogre roster opens up at the higher tiers. You can put together a wicked gunline or support your ogres with some pretty great (if kinda overpriced) heavy cavalry. Maneater Pistols shoot almost as well as actual archers or handgunners. Leadbelchers are light cannon that come 16 per unit, and they're your first real hard counter to spear units and antilarge cavalry. (They will disappoint you against monsters, however.) Both of your artillery pieces are great, even after the nerfs. Both Mournfangs and Crushers are great in different ways: Mournfangs are cheaper but really need to cycle charge because of their disappointing MA and MD, while Crushers are more expensive but can be left in a fight if you want.

You'll probably want a specialist unit to kill artillery, and the options are kinda bad. Sabertusks are wolves but bad. Rampage sucks, and their better stats on paper never seems to translate to better results, I guess because of their lower entity count. Gorgers have Stalk but tend to get murdered every single fight because they're unbreakable units with trash defense stats. (If you've used Mournguls, they're basically the same unit.) Once you get your own artillery or cavalry, you can just use those, but bear in mind that neither likes to get shot by cannon and most cannon will outrange you. Your magic is also an option at higher levels, because Bonecrusher and The Maw both have 200m range.

Speaking of which, Ogre Tyrants are a waste of time. There are a few cool and good big names, but fishing for a Tyrant with both a good trait and a good big name takes forever and a ton of money, and you could just pick a Slaughtermaster of the Great Maw, who's always good. Bonecrusher is a more balanced (read: weaker) Foot of Gork, Trollguts is an overpriced but still-useful single-target heal that you mainly use to keep characters and high-tier elite units alive, and Braingobbler is a cheap leadership debuff you use to break wavering units or spam to heal himself with the casting passive.

Lore of Beasts is mainly useful for Flock of Doom to kill massed spearmen or ranged hybrid units (eg Kossars or Seaguard) and Transformation of Kadon to take out artillery, but Bonecrusher also does that while being generally more useful. You'll want a Butcher in every army for replenishment anyway, so it's not like it's an either/or choice, but the Great Maw healing is more useful on the Slaughtermaster, who is a passable melee combatant.

In addition to the Butcher, you'll want a Hunter in every army for the movement increase. He's not a really impressive melee combatant even with his Stonetusk, and his shooting won't wow you, but he just sort of sits there and does some work all game. A melee monster can be useful as a backup plan to help deal with ranged units or artillery, but he also tends to get shot to pieces if you're not careful. Don't bother taking his skills that buff Sabretusks; they aren't good even with the buffs.

Firebellies are probably the most marginal hero. Piercing Bolts of Burning is a very good spell, but it's a bit variable and serves basically the same role as Bonecrusher. You can get work done with Fireball and Burning Head too, but ogres don't tend to pack a lot of enemies into neat lines to make these spells really sing, and the rest of your units are already good at plowing through low-leadership chaff.

As for units to probably skip: Giants are redundant with the rest of your gameplan and too slow to keep up. You can use them to attract missile fire and heal them with Trollguts but if they die, it takes forever to replace them, especially with global recruit. Gorgers are kinda jank even though CA walked back some of the nerf, and are also too fragile for their cost and recruit time. Stonehorns cost a million billion gold, take forever to recruit, and specialize in wrecking non-spearman infantry, which is something literally every non-gnoblar unit in your roster is good at. Stonehorn Harpoons seem like they'd be as OP as ballista Stegadons were, but they're much more expensive, have much less range, and come online much later, so they will almost certainly disappoint you. Again you can heal either Stonehorn with Trollguts, but Trollguts costs a ton of winds and you already have plenty of good targets for it.

What do you do about...

Single entity monsters, especially lords like Imrik, Durthu, or Karl? They're a problem. Ogres can pin them with their mass, especially if you have Trappers to help slow their movement, but they're just going to get murdered or terror routed. All of your greatweapon units are antilarge (except Ironguts) and have good armor piercing and leadership, so your best bet is to meet quality with quality, especially if you can cycle charge with those units without letting the lord fly away. Unlike a lot of armies, your ranged units aren't a great solution, because your artillery is relatively inaccurate. Leadbelchers do okay, but they're mainly meant to be shooting units that their shots can penetrate, like massed infantry.

Cavalry, especially anti-large cavalry like Knights of the Realm? Basically the same plan as SEMs. Pin them with your ogres' mass, and cycle charge with GW elites or cavalry. Your ranged units are much hardier in a fight than most armies', so while you shouldn't let them get cycle charged or tied up for too long, they aren't doomed the way handgunners or artillery crews usually are. The AI loves to charge Maneater Pistols with cavalry, and while baiting with an expensive unit that takes forever to replace is risky, it works every time until you gently caress it up.

Hybrid shooting units like Kossars or Lothern Sea Guard? Your own shooting units beat them handily but they come online fairly late in the game. This is just a brutally bad matchup so I try to not gently caress with Kislev or Imrik unnecessarily, but Ogre Bulls with Ironfists are generally your best bet against these until you have some Scraplaunchers or Leadbelchers. This is one of the few times Flock of Doom is worth it.

Mortis engine tarpits like Ghorst and Kugath? Just leave. They are slow, you are not, so kite them. The AI will let you pick apart its units if you come close enough to almost make contact then back off. If you keep moving, you can usually catch the fast units separate from the rest of their army, then eventually separate the buff or mortis units from the main tarpit.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 13, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Flock of doom is such a loving good spell though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

Flock of doom is such a loving good spell though.

yeah fair, i'll walk that part of that post back a bit. you always want a butcher for the replenishment so you'll have both lores anyway.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Also you want a firebelly for the actual good spells!!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Senator dog posted:

Also you want a firebelly for the actual good spells!!

i always end up disappointed by firebellies! piercing bolts rules but bonecrusher is basically the same spell and heals all your ogres. burning head wants neat and orderly engagements, which ogres don't do, and fireball wants flank shots, and firebellies aren't really good flankers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What's wrong with tyrants? Just that you could have a caster lord instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sindai posted:

What's wrong with tyrants? Just that you could have a caster lord instead?

they don't do anything. their relatively poor defenses make them mediocre in combat, and they don't have the speed or mass to get out of bad situations. nothing they do for buffs is better than lord of the great maw healing. you can get some cool Big Names but which names you even have access to is very RNG-heavy, and fishing for good ones makes it difficult to also get a good trait like confident or disciplined or tough.