Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cessna posted:

I could easily be tempted to start a Sisters of Silence army.

Right? Reading the Watchers of the Throne duology hasn't helped quench the notion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Okay.... serious question. How do you, or did you, pick which legion or army to play?

I cannot decide for the life of me. I honestly can't. I have the starter and I specifically bought a nice 3d printer for this game. I adore the setting, love the game and was a rabid 40k player for years.
I can't pick and it's driving me insane. I have tickets for the LVO 30k event and need to get my rear end in gear painting and all that.

I always loved Imperial Fist and want to do the reverse colour scheme. The new paints available now vs last time I did a yellow army would make it so much easier!! Yellow shoulder pads and heads with black armor?
That's hot!!
Then I see the rules. Wtf..... how did that legion rule get through??
I don't want to be "that guy" playing them but I've always loved them as well

Okay, Iron Warriors have my favorite black library novel so I'd be good with them. They look, potentially, strong. Evil with lots of shooting

Deathguard have a cool paint scheme. Line em up, march up the field playstyle

Word Bearers?? The true villains of the whole horus heresy and I get to do script and poo poo all over the models??? That's bad rear end sounding!!

But am I playing for fun/ theme or moreso trying to win more matches then I potentionaly lose if all things otherwise are equal? And if so, am I better off taking a specific legion?
I don't want to be that douche bag player but i also don't want to handicap myself either too much if I can avoid it

First, the Imperial Fists Legiones Astartes benefits are not gamebreaking. It’s easy to get their benefit, and access happens in the listbuilding stage rather than in a situation in-game, so their upsides are more obvious than some other Legiones Astartes. But a completely normal Legiones Astartes Imperial Fists list is not remarkably powerful or obnoxious until you start adding Rites of War.

With that out of the way: I personally did a double-elimination bracket based on the 8-9 things that were most important to me. (I knew immediately that two Legions were too idiotic for me, so they did not make the bracket.) This process wasn't dispositive, but thinking through it helped me figure out what I wanted from the game. After working through most of the double-elimination brackets, I ended up with a shortlist of five: Word Bearers, Sons of Horus, Alpha Legion, and Ultramarines.

I eliminated Ultramarines because I knew I would get tired of blue way too quickly. I also didn’t like their models as much as the eventual winner’s.
I eliminated Word Bearers because their character sculpts (pre Argel Tal) were too lame, and they were just a little too cartoonishly evil.
I eliminated Alpha Legion because “convert every model in the army” was a hope/dream of mine and I felt like their fluff would make me struggle with the idiosyncrasies.
I eliminated Space Wolves because at the time [right after Book V], they didn’t have rules, and I knew I liked the eventual winner too much, and I had a slight preference for Traitor.

I picked Sons of Horus because
-At the time, they were the third- or fourth-worst Legion, and I’m a lovely snowflake
-At the time, the only way to do their color scheme was by mixing paints, and I’m a lovely snowflake
-Their fluff gave me lots of idea for how to make each model a lovely snowflake just like me
-They’re bad guys, so I don’t feel bad about my models dying
-I loved (and love) the color mix I picked
-At the time, they had more Legion-specific stuff than anyone else, and it all fuckin owned
-Their fluff supported my ideal playstyle

(Then their rules got updated and the SoH paints came out from Forge World, and while they stopped being my perfect lovely snowflake legion, the changes also supported my playstyle perfectly, so I called it a wash.)

This is a long-winded way of saying:
-Almost every Legion can support almost every model, so don’t worry about playstyle, except with regard to the unique units
-Think about whether you actually want to own Legion X: have models standing around cupboards and shelves, piles of bits on your desk, and the army itself.
-Think about what you enjoy painting and modeling, and what you don’t.
-Think about whether you actually think the guys are cooler than most of their peers.
-Probably play Imperial Fists, because it seems like you already know you want to play Imperial Fists.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I picked Word Bearers because I liked The First Heretic and gal vorbak rule.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

parabolic posted:

First, last, and only reason.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

New night lords upgrades finally shown. I think these ones look pretty good actually. 🤔

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Commissar Canuck posted:

For me, coming from games like Bolt Action, I've found focusing an army/legion on a specific event helps both keep me focused and help build out a thematic force. I was originally thinking of doing White Scars themed around them doing sick wheelies over the Lion's Gate Spaceport during the Siege of Terra, for example.

But I love the doomed heroics of Istvaan III more so I went with loyalist Emperor's Children. I'm also working on a very small allied detachment of some Luna Wolves that have thrown away the whole Sons of Horus name on account of the virus bombing. Trying to give them a chipping away white paint scheme but with the SoH green underneath is a fun experiment, too.

Edit: might as well post some recently completed minis

Nice work on these

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mr Teatime posted:

New night lords upgrades finally shown. I think these ones look pretty good actually. 🤔

Yeah, these are good. Nice job incorporating the skull over the beak.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Teatime posted:

Nice. I can buy that and pop them on a bunch of regular Marines and call it a Terror Squad. :toot:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
First off I'm not quoting nearly enough people here. So many people gave great advice and I really enjoyed learning from others how they picked. Thank you everyone

parabolic posted:

So I haven't read First Heretic but I've heard nothing but great things about them. It's really between this and Imperial Fist. I think that's the 2 I am firmly down to. Love the lore, the models and rules look good

Mr Teatime posted:

These do look pretty good. I l like em and I would use them honestly. not enough to sway me to them, I couldn't do the Nightlords justice.....I would want flayed skin and lightning everywhere

Sulecrist posted:

This is a long-winded way of saying:
-Almost every Legion can support almost every model, so don’t worry about playstyle, except with regard to the unique units
-Think about whether you actually want to own Legion X: have models standing around cupboards and shelves, piles of bits on your desk, and the army itself.
-Think about what you enjoy painting and modeling, and what you don’t.
-Think about whether you actually think the guys are cooler than most of their peers.
-Probably play Imperial Fists, because it seems like you already know you want to play Imperial Fists.

I can't lie, I am absolutely leaning on Imperial Fist. I am going to do a test model of how I want to do Word Bearers and a Imperial Fist beaky. See if I hate myself after painting either one or if one just clicks with me more. I feel that I would be happy with either one of these Legions

Biggest reason I lean so heavily on IF? My first ever army was a Epic 40k(I believe 3rd edition, it was before Armageddon) and it was Imperial Fist
It was such a poo poo paintjob + trying to learn to paint on 6mm mini's and all that.......I still loved them. I still think fondly of them and love brighter colour armies at time.
No matter what game system I'm in....I love me some yellow armour because of that. gently caress yo stealth. I'm right here!!! Dakka Dakka

Edit: Oh I should look up the alt stuff for the Imperial Fist and Word bearers in terms of shoudlers and heads. What I can buy or print. That is a big deal....I want to kitbash some stuff

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Please james. Where are the mk6 choinswords and bolt pistols

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Imperial Fists are the poster boys of the new edition of 30K. They're also, frankly, bland.

Word Bearers - and Lorgar in particular - saw the writing on the wall (or, the tank's hull) and knew that the Imperium would become a hellish theocracy that worshiped the empire and. Unfortunately for them they saw it too soon and were damned for it. Plus, you can use the cool new Possessed as Gal Vorbak or conversion parts and Sisters of Battle bits (like books and torches) to dress up their vehicles.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ristolaz posted:

Please james. Where are the mk6 choinswords and bolt pistols

I think it’ll be new bodies too. Some of the poses don’t really work unless you’re holding a two handed gun.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Also don’t count out mk2 and mk5

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cessna posted:

Imperial Fists are the poster boys of the new edition of 30K. They're also, frankly, bland.

But better than 40K, at least. I've got a friend who plays them and sighs when reminded that their successor chapter is better than they are by an order of magnitude.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

But better than 40K, at least. I've got a friend who plays them and sighs when reminded that their successor chapter is better than they are by an order of magnitude.
Well being the poster boys for Rogue Trader and the 3rd edition Marine codex helps.

:corsair:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Siivola posted:

Well being the poster boys for Rogue Trader and the 3rd edition Marine codex helps.

:corsair:

?

The BTs and Imperial Fists weren't in the old Rogue Trader book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cessna posted:

?

The BTs and Imperial Fists weren't in the old Rogue Trader book.

I think they mean the Crimson Fists? (Vote for Pedro! I'm careful with that meme as it's an antique.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, I'm referring to the Other Fists. I know your friend didn't mean them, but they were the first thing that popped to my mind. :v:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dawgstar posted:

I think they mean the Crimson Fists? (Vote for Pedro! I'm careful with that meme as it's an antique.)

Ah, of course. The "3rd Edition" part threw me.

Sorry about that!

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

TTerrible posted:

I think it’ll be new bodies too. Some of the poses don’t really work unless you’re holding a two handed gun.

yeah I'll take a 10 man mk6 box with options for double pistols, chainswords, volkite pistol upgrades, and optional jump packs :thanks:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I definitely would like a box of mk6 melee dudes with better poses. Ideally it comes out at the same time as the Alpha Legion upgrade kits - I’m stockpiling bits to make a bunch of Consuls.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I think we're more likely to get a dedicated Despoiler Squad box in either Mark II or Mark V armor, with the melee weapon options, and then a box of ten jump packs you can buy separately. And then maybe a box of combi-weapons and nemesis bolters designed to only work on the arm poses for either the existing Tactical Squad box or the new Despoiler Squad box, but not both.

(Also the Despoiler Squad body poses, of which there will be only five, will be super distinctively dynamic.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 28, 2022

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Okay, I started listening to "The First Heretic" and holy gently caress......I'm sold on the World Bearers now. Full stop, good to roll with them.
gently caress the Emperor and Gulliman is a douchewaffle. I knew I always hated Ultramarines for a good reason w/ out knowing why

Thank you for the earlier suggestion of grabbing the new Possessed models and a box of Chaos Space Marines for lots of kitbashing off the jump. I'm stoked to get this going. Gotta specifically make sure I get some robed like bits. Need robes!!!

edit: Holy poo poo this book is amazing......if you haven't listened to it or read it. Do yourself a favour......and get it. Read it. It's really well done so far and gives such great backstory.

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 29, 2022

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Okay, I started listening to "The First Heretic" and holy gently caress......I'm sold on the World Bearers now. Full stop, good to roll with them.
gently caress the Emperor and Gulliman is a douchewaffle. I knew I always hated Ultramarines for a good reason w/ out knowing why

Thank you for the earlier suggestion of grabbing the new Possessed models and a box of Chaos Space Marines for lots of kitbashing off the jump. I'm stoked to get this going. Gotta specifically make sure I get some robed like bits. Need robes!!!

edit: Holy poo poo this book is amazing......if you haven't listened to it or read it. Do yourself a favour......and get it. Read it. It's really well done so far and gives such great backstory.

The ranks of the Aurelian swell :getin:

TTerrible posted:

I've done 15 of them with Berzerker pistols/swords and while the hands look odd up close I think they work over all, honestly.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Holy poo poo they’re rereleasing Aevos Jovan and the missing auxilia rapier teams. Jovans currently rarer than hens teeth and costs a fortune if you wanted him. I just paid far too much for a complete auxilia transfer sheet, I wonder if that’s coming back too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

Holy poo poo they’re rereleasing Aevos Jovan and the missing auxilia rapier teams. Jovans currently rarer than hens teeth and costs a fortune if you wanted him. I just paid far too much for a complete auxilia transfer sheet, I wonder if that’s coming back too.

I am pretty sure we were bidding on the same sheet lol, I really hope they release it again I have a whole army I can't finish until I get more :(

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mr Teatime posted:

gently caress yewh

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How is NOVA wrt 3rd party or 3D printer figures?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking of 3rd party figures do people actually like those tortuga bay figurines? I see them all the time on heresy Instagram but to me they look like the legions of the Michelin man.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Mr Teatime posted:

Speaking of 3rd party figures do people actually like those tortuga bay figurines? I see them all the time on heresy Instagram but to me they look like the legions of the Michelin man.

It's less exaggerated with the Mk II ones. I have some for my Veterans and Havocs.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
I'm a big fan of the Tortuga stuff. I prefer my Astartes to be bigger than Kasrkin (seriously what the gently caress are those guys being fed), and I tend to finish Heresy models with sponge chipping which helps make the edges look sharper than they actually are - it worked very well on the mkIIIs with the goofy round banding. The normally-scaled heads and shoulders on larger legs give me Paul Dainton vibes, and he's always been my favorite Warhammer artist so it works out for me!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really like mine, but not all their armor marks look good imo. Their MK2 and MK3 seem the best proportioned. Some of the later marks are a bit too thicc for me

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So a box of 40k Chaos Raptors with the Night Lords upgrade pack would make decent Night Raptors, right?

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Flaming Hot Cheetos: Heresy edition

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those are so good

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Might finally dip a toe into HH because some other people at the LGS are interested in trying it out. Now I just have to decide what legion to go with. Really hard choice between Death Guard and World Eaters, which are my two favorites but also presumably have completely opposite playstyles.

Anyone got any insight that might sway me one way or the other? Is zooming up the board and getting into melee ASAP actually a fun playstyle here? The new DG praetor models look rad as hell, and both armies have really cool terminators, so I'd thoroughly enjoy painting up both armies.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

There isn’t a melee upgrade set for the new Mkvi marines yet so if you want mass despoilers it’s a lot of expensive forgeworld resin despoilers and chain axe kits.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

There isn’t a melee upgrade set for the new Mkvi marines yet so if you want mass despoilers it’s a lot of expensive forgeworld resin despoilers and chain axe kits.

Or :filez:

Speaking of which.....

I have a box Chaos Space Marines coming in tomorrow so I can, finally, start assembling my army. I'll use all the bits to Chaos up different people here and there and just add some "flair" to the army.

I would really like to try to find some good STL's of some Chaos'y or Rune inscripted shoulder pads. Does anyone have any suggestions or seen anything good floating around on Patreon or Cults3d? Thanks

On the army building side, I'm still going back and forth on which Special Character to include besides a Herald w/ the Unswerving Devotion trait
I'm going back and forth....am I better off w/ 2 20 Man Squads (1 Tactical + 1 Despoiler) or say.....3 10 man squads in Rhino's?
The other "core" of the army, in my head at least, is a 5 man Recon Squad w/ Nemesis Bolter & a 10 man support squad w/ Warpfire Blasters w/ Augury scanner

That "core" of 2 20 man blobs, Sergants w/ PF + Artificer armour, the recon + support squad is 956points
Toss in the HQ's, a heavy support squad for my anti tank,decide if I want Ashen Circle + Gal Vorbak(or just one or the other) and yeah.

Bam that's 2k easy. No idea if it's "good" but that fills up quick. Not sure if I want a more "mobile" Rhino based force or not

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Crossposting from the painting thread

Lucinice posted:

Finished up the body of this contemptor dread for my HH Iron Warriors army.

Since it was so big I tried to do edge highlighting for the first time. It didn't go so great but it was fun to practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm going back and forth....am I better off w/ 2 20 Man Squads (1 Tactical + 1 Despoiler) or say.....3 10 man squads in Rhino's?

In my experience, those formations are two very different playstyles. I tend to see mounted squads as a reactive force, since ten models is fine but might not be enough to be on the front line, while the Big Beautiful Blobs are more of a 'gently caress you, I'm doing this thing' kind of force. Both are psychologically distracting in different ways - the Rhinos keep their riders out of sight and out of mind at the cost of turning focus to your really expensive poo poo, while the Blobs are visually arresting and can start to short-circuit the enemy's target priority (especially if you're running Dark Brethren and there's a point of Favor or two coming down the pike).

For what it's worth, the XVIIth is excellent at the Big Beautiful Blobs strategy. Dark Channeling keeps them from breaking, and a single point of Favor or boost from Eater of Wisdom turns those Despoilers or Assaults into some absolute murderers.

And you mentioned special characters - he's expensive as gently caress, but Zardu Layak is excellent at buffing BBBs and can still take a Command Squad due to some rules chicanery.