Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

Why is it that you think Audi will waltz in and start winning?

becuz it's the four rings baby!

Real talk: I don't think they will waltz in and start winning. It's going to depend on a number of factors including the success of the engine development programme, how much money/resource sharing they're willing to dump into Sauber, the drivers they choose, integration between PU and chassis, etc.

I think the fact that they already have a successful development facility at AudiSport in Neuberg is a good sign that they have the facilities and the staff (I heard a rumour that a bunch of the shuttered LMDh team have moved to engine development) to make a good run at a decent engine, and the fact that they've already started on the engine with a 4 year lead time is also promising.

People dump on Sauber, but the truth is they still knows how to built a quick car. They were right up there at the beginning of the season and were consistently scoring points up until Canada. They're currently 6th in the constructors right now, which for a team that is basically a billboard is pretty good. Sauber has been teetering on the edge now for so long that they probably don't have the most up to date facilities (I think their wind tunnel is still pretty good?), but given that Hinwil and Neuberg are only a couple hours apart it's my hope that Audi can fill in some gaps.

I don't expect them to come in and blitz the 2026 season, but my hope is they can come in somewhere near the top and work from there. If I'm honest I don't think Alpine is going to get much better than they are until they ditch Mecachrome, if McLaren remembers how to build a fast car again they have a chance with Lando, but I don't think Mercedes will want a customer team beating them so I wouldn't put it past Toto to start giving out sub-par engines to certain teams, the best AM can hope for is "best of the rest" as long as Lance is in the seat. Dude is a solid midpack driver and no more. Haas probably only has a few seasons left of bumbling around at the back before Gene gets sick of it and throws in the towel, Alpha Tauri will never be allowed to beat RBR. I genuinely don't know what to think about Williams, if Dorilton dumped a truckload of money in the front office, they could probably be up there with McLaren and Alpine, but I don't see them getting much further as long as they have a Merc engine in the back.

[edit] what a lovely snipe

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think if you were in the sport for the long term Sauber would be the best team to buy with the best potential to move to the front of the grid. But I think Audi kind of wants to come in and win within 2 years which is not going to happen with Sauber.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

I think if you were in the sport for the long term Sauber would be the best team to buy with the best potential to move to the front of the grid. But I think Audi kind of wants to come in and win within 2 years which is not going to happen with Sauber.

Porsche trying to buy Red Bull and then refusing to look anywhere else I think is a better example of that than Audi shuttering their LMDh program, building up their facility more, and buying into your next best team after McLaren told them to gently caress off. If Audi only has plans for going 2 years and then dropping, then they're taking a very Honda approach to it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Frond posted:

BMW won approximately one time with Sauber. Y’know, the exact same number of times the Honda works team did.

Hey now, Honda have won three whole grands prix as a works team.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dudley posted:

Hey now, Honda have won three whole grands prix as a works team.

They also made a chassis that self immolated if you looked at it wrong too though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

italian quid posted:

They also made a chassis that self immolated if you looked at it wrong too though

its tragically funny that Honda already had a perfectly fine, safe-by-60s-F1-standards car with a regular driver but Soichiro Honda demanded an air-cooled car so they made the magnesium deathtrap

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also it was made by guys who mostly had experience with domestic formula cars - which were by and large death traps.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

HELLO LONDON! WE'RE MAGNESIUM DEATHTRAP!

Yep, totally a band name.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
their pyrotechnics are lit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Is that magnesium car, perhaps…an air fryer?

We’ve come full circle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You really need an actual deep fryer for the real fried Jo Schlesser crunch

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I fill my air fryer with nitrogen for a more high performance crunch

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

becuz it's the four rings baby!

[edit] what a lovely snipe

I don't have any idea why you think that would be a lovely snipe but okay?

I'm assuming Audi will bail on the whole project sometime in 2024.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
If Leclerc gets two more poles he will surpass Bottas (who surpassed Arnoux - his record stood for over 30 years) in having the most pole positions without a WDC.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
A fun record is Teo Fabis - 3 poles, 0 laps led.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I just got my winter tires put on my car today and all I can think is it must feel awesome to change into softs.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Alaois posted:

its tragically funny that Honda already had a perfectly fine, safe-by-60s-F1-standards car with a regular driver but Soichiro Honda demanded an air-cooled car so they made the magnesium deathtrap

When I think “magnesium deathtrap”, I think of a different contemporary F1 manufacturer personally.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I am actually crying from laughing at that, jesus christ :xd:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I literally cried at this earlier
Cried out loud
Cried my butt off

Only registered members can see post attachments!

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

italian quid posted:

But I think Audi kind of wants to come in and win within 2 years which is not going to happen with Sauber.

idk how much they want to spend when it's still alfa romeo stickers on the car, but i would guess audi aren't subject to the cost cap and might have an advantage in getting themselves up to speed over the next few years.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing that will be waltzing are the $$$$$$ from Audi’s account.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

if you add up all of Nick Heidfeld's second place finishes that must equal at least one and a half extra wins

:shuckyes: I agree.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Finished the Super Formula season. Tomoki Nojiri with Mugen-Honda won again. 7 different winners and good racing. Of the Tier 1 open wheel series it probably has the closest racing. On a slight downside the results sometimes can be completely random due to luck (2016 Champion Yuji Kunimoto had/has never finished higher than 8th in any other season or even won a race outside of his championship year.)

Somewhat baffling is the complete lack of success for Kamui Kobayashi - 17th overall, 3 points finishes with a best of 5th. His Toyota WEC stablemate Ryo Hirakawa came 3rd overall and won twice, something Kobayashi still has not managed to do.

Also Alesi’s son is in it. In a top ride (TOMS-Toyota) he had 1 points finish and came 20th overall, 16 places and 61 points behind his teammate.

Frond fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 2, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Cried out loud
Cried my butt off

lol

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Frond posted:

If Leclerc gets two more poles he will surpass Bottas (who surpassed Arnoux - his record stood for over 30 years) in having the most pole positions without a WDC.

I believe in him, he can do it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I don't have any idea why you think that would be a lovely snipe but okay?

I'm assuming Audi will bail on the whole project sometime in 2024.

Given they didn't want to commit to "Literally slap their badge on a Porsche engined Multimatic LMP2" level of expenditure it seems likely.

acidx posted:

idk how much they want to spend when it's still alfa romeo stickers on the car, but i would guess audi aren't subject to the cost cap and might have an advantage in getting themselves up to speed over the next few years.

Engines are never cost capped. There's probably not a lot they can do for a car without going through Sauber and it being capped. If the FIA let them get away with using unlimited wind tunnel time etc and then just handing it to Sauber then Red Bull will immediately form Red Bull Wind Tunnel Fuckery Ltd and do the same.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B535h6btGQ

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There are limits to how much time and money new engine manufacturers get ahead of 2026, that’s the entire reason Red Bull have been tap-dancing around technicalities as to if they’re a new entity for 2026 purposes or not.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm a fan of these videos now. A Chavo reference in 2022 made me happier than I expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf7P643ixqs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

acidx posted:

Uhhhh Sauber is still subject to the cost cap lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

not that the cost cap is even remotely seriously enforced but idk where you nerds got this idea that because Sauber is being bought years down the road they now have some magical ticket to spend unlimited money until that happens

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

italian quid posted:

not that the cost cap is even remotely seriously enforced but idk where you nerds got this idea that because Sauber is being bought years down the road they now have some magical ticket to spend unlimited money until that happens

Because Alfa are Italian they could funnel billions through the catering budget and nobody would bat an eyelid. The only reason Red Bull got caught was because nobody thought it was remotely credible that a British team was spending so much on boiled horsemeat cucumber sandwiches and fizzy nazi piss water.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Cried out loud
Cried my butt off

With Hulk almost assuredly getting his spot I wonder if he'll get another chance. He wasn't a terrible driver.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I want Tom Segura to take over that boring official F1 podcast now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0n1cb049Rc&t=41s

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Frond posted:

Somewhat baffling is the complete lack of success for Kamui Kobayashi
He’s no Taku

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Kirios posted:

With Hulk almost assuredly getting his spot I wonder if he'll get another chance. He wasn't a terrible driver.

He wasn’t terrible but also hasn’t showed all that much either. Of the 2020 F2 class, I’d say Tsunoda is the best.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Charles Leclerc posted:

I want Tom Segura to take over that boring official F1 podcast now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0n1cb049Rc&t=41s

I want Danny to stick around as long as possible.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

Uhhhh Sauber is still subject to the cost cap lol

Yeah, the entire reason Audi is doing this now is to have time to truly properly prepare the engine development and to spread out any capital expenditure investment over the longer period of time to keep it under the cost cap.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Relatively new to following F1 (drive to survive convert) but it’s a bit of a bummer getting into the sport at the tail end of an uncompetitive season - keen to know the likelihood of anyone catching up to Red Bull next year or is it likely to be another procession in 2023?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Raffles posted:

keen to know the likelihood of anyone catching up to Red Bull next year or is it likely to be another procession in 2023?

lmao