Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
He should have dived into a cave instead of climbing a cliff wall. Then we'd have speluncan' idaho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Eason the Fifth posted:

:hmmyes: shame we never got the Drunken Idaho scene from the book

Even more shame we didn't get thufir being dressed down by Jessica

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Pumpkin Spice Idaho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

He should have dived into a cave instead of climbing a cliff wall. Then we'd have speluncan' idaho.

He should have played electric bass, then we’d have funkin’ Idaho

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blumpkin Idaho.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Crunkan Idaho, the Kwisatz Haderach of hip hop.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Duncan Idajones

...I don't really have a follow up joke, can someone help me riff on that please

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

We named the chairdog "Duncan."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dunkin' Idaho, dipping his spice cookie

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dun can what Ida hon’t

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunkin Idachinos

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Dunkin' Idaho, dipping his spice cookie

Dunkin' Idaho? God can't we just keep that poo poo restricted to Boston

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
And that is why, in Togo, biscuits are called "Duncman."

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Malky! Duncan! I liked it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Buddy, they won't even let me Dunc the Idaho

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
DUNC!

I da Hoe planet!

:tutbutt:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crossposting...the future is now

flavor.flv posted:

Hey. Hey! No!

You do that outside!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

1 year to go, folks. hope you got some posts stored up for this long winter

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
i drank two litresliterjons of phở the other night and all i could think about was that delicious spice blend

this one probably shortens life, though

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

for a long-term project I'd really want to go all in on a fremen costume. and then show up to the premiere in it. that's my dream anyway

I can probably get supplies cheap this coming Black Friday if I plan super far ahead into the future like some sort of fat psychic worm. but I've also never before done cosplay to as deep a level as I'd like to go with this, and I know nothing about arts and crafts. r.i.p. me

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

I can probably get supplies cheap this coming Black Friday if I plan super far ahead into the future like some sort of fat psychic worm.

As goons, we only need to work on the "psychic" part

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

kalel posted:

for a long-term project I'd really want to go all in on a fremen costume. and then show up to the premiere in it. that's my dream anyway

I can probably get supplies cheap this coming Black Friday if I plan super far ahead into the future like some sort of fat psychic worm. but I've also never before done cosplay to as deep a level as I'd like to go with this, and I know nothing about arts and crafts. r.i.p. me

Don't forget the thigh pads, which you will need to process your urine and faeces

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

In a good working order, stillsuit of goon manufacture should withstand a trip to the cinema AND a full dinner with sides and fixins plus coke IN THE BOTTLE

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
For authenticity roll around in poo poo and pee pee and skip showers for a few weeks before the premiere. If any perfidious harks try to stop you from entering, well,

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kalel posted:

A Villeneuve stillsuit shouldn't be too hard to make. Most of it in the film looks like textile motorcycle gear. The greebly bits around the torso and the belt/codpiece might be difficult but all of it looks soft, like even the shoulder pads look like they're just straight EVA foam. I didn't realize how much work cosplay was when I commissioned a friend to build me a Doomslayer getup, at least you probably won't have to do any vacuum forming of hard plastic like that.

I wonder if Part 2 is going to open with narration again, and if so, whose. I thought Chani's narration in Part 1 was a good sign that Villeneuve understands that the story is as much hers and Jessica's as it is Paul's; picking it up with more exposition from her (or Jessica) talking about Fremen culture would be interesting and a great setup for the "history will see us as wives" line (which will probably have to be modernized but I don't see Villeneuve missing out on such a big opportunity to give us a feminist take). Irulan narration setting up her father's empire would also be an interesting choice, a nod to the book and Lynch's film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

I wonder if Part 2 is going to open with narration again, and if so, whose. I thought Chani's narration in Part 1 was a good sign that Villeneuve understands that the story is as much hers and Jessica's as it is Paul's; picking it up with more exposition from her (or Jessica) talking about Fremen culture would be interesting and a great setup for the "history will see us as wives" line (which will probably have to be modernized but I don't see Villeneuve missing out on such a big opportunity to give us a feminist take). Irulan narration setting up her father's empire would also be an interesting choice, a nod to the book and Lynch's film.

Starting with Irulan voice over might work well to get the viewer into the mindset of surprise when the universal hegemon is suddenly upended by slaves in the basement.

I dunno, it's fun to think about the possibilities. Villaneuve is both pragmatic and experimental which is why his particular vision of these age old properties is so exciting. I've long held that Ridley Scott might be the only director who could accurately translate The Forever War, but now I'm not so sure.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Villaneuve is both pragmatic and experimental which is why his particular vision of these age old properties is so exciting.

100%.

Someone remind me what the deal is with the Museum Fremen in the later books? They preserve Fremen customs or something, but it's such a bizarre name for a people - and IIRC the only context they're mentioned is kind of in a derisive way - that it sounds like someone intentionally raised them to live out the Old Ways, as a joke.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

100%.

Someone remind me what the deal is with the Museum Fremen in the later books? They preserve Fremen customs or something, but it's such a bizarre name for a people - and IIRC the only context they're mentioned is kind of in a derisive way - that it sounds like someone intentionally raised them to live out the Old Ways, as a joke.

Yeah, that’s it pretty much. Leto maintains a population of them on reservations so people in his empire can see how “real Fremen” live. Now, they’re obviously kind of pathetic and clueless about “real Fremen” because they’re being kept like zoo animals. But given that Leto is planning to desertify Arrakis again, he also has a vested interest in making sure there’s a population of people who know at least the very basics of desert living—that’s the museum Fremen. The big Chapterhouse Report section also reveals that they’re all being paid off by the Bene Gesserit to report on conditions on Arrakis.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
sup, feelin prescient.

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1590072589460082688?s=20&t=vok1BmPFQQ6SujD71rmpvQ

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

that's not what a sietch looks like denis wtf are you doing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sietch Petr

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
yo they stole that set piece from Indiana Jones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

skasion posted:

Yeah, that’s it pretty much. Leto maintains a population of them on reservations so people in his empire can see how “real Fremen” live. Now, they’re obviously kind of pathetic and clueless about “real Fremen” because they’re being kept like zoo animals. But given that Leto is planning to desertify Arrakis again, he also has a vested interest in making sure there’s a population of people who know at least the very basics of desert living—that’s the museum Fremen. The big Chapterhouse Report section also reveals that they’re all being paid off by the Bene Gesserit to report on conditions on Arrakis.

Yeah, the whole point with Duncan meeting them is that he sees a sick parody of the Fremen he used to know in what amounts to a theme park. And I'm pretty sure it's implied that they are all aware of this.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Feels a little disrespectful to film a spice orgy here but art must go on

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Speaking of Dune, I noticed last night that in Chapterhouse, Odrade muses that the Bene Gesserit will have to adopt the practice of deathstills found on Dune - and what stood out to me was the deliberate inclusion of turning the remains of the bodies into pot-ash which in turn is useful as a fertilizer.
It always bothered me that that was never mentioned in first book, since it's an ecological necessity - but I guess I'm just more surprised that it took until the last book for it to get mentioned.

Also, did Villeneuve in DUNC reference the Honored Matres leader being called Spider Queen by Bene Gesserit? Seems like the best explanation for that scene.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

yo they stole that set piece from Indiana Jones

they stole it from An Idiot Abroad

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It actually already was in Dune, you museum fremen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Also, did Villeneuve in DUNC reference the Honored Matres leader being called Spider Queen by Bene Gesserit? Seems like the best explanation for that scene.

Villeneuve has previously juxtaposed spiders and women and motherhood, in Enemy. I kind of doubt he’s read Chapterhouse but you never know. It’s not like it’s the most original idea of all time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I 100% believe he's read Chapterhouse but I also don't believe he put any kind of foreshadowing into the movie for something set that far in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
There’s spider imagery in Arrival too. Guy just likes spiders.