Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Other people will have advice on Business and Finance, I've offered my advice on Career, because you're ultimately spending an incredible amount of your own money to buy yourself the poo poo job I had ten years ago

Also I'm a woman

Hey, sorry, possums are boys to me for some reason. One time I was in a real tight crawl space where I could only roll over between joists. While I was working a possum came home, noticed me, and froze. They were between the door and I. I was stuck down eye level with the critter and every time I’d move it’d hiss and yaw. I couldn’t shoo it off and I was afraid to turn my back so I periodically hollered and kicked the floor til Elmer came and rescued me. Called me zarigaya for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How are you planning to handle point of sale payment processing and accounting?

I plan to use use like, clover or whatever. Bunch of iPads. When the heavy rush is on someone could chilfila the line to catch us up

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

I got the tude now posted:

Also that spro machine will 100% be an albatross around your neck. You do not have the intellect or discipline to run a good espresso program

Maybe some things are harder for you than for others

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rationale posted:

I plan to use use like, clover or whatever. Bunch of iPads. When the heavy rush is on someone could chilfila the line to catch us up

what's it gonna cost ya

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Looks like about $800 per point and then a bit of each credit card sale

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

I got the tude now posted:

Also that spro machine will 100% be an albatross around your neck. You do not have the intellect or discipline to run a good espresso program

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
For $435 I’ll find out

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How are you planning to handle point of sale payment processing and accounting?

Easy. You tell people what it costs , and then you take payment. What’s there to worry about ?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rationale posted:

Maybe some things are harder for you than for others

Much like some with the voice of experience.

Good luck op. A beat personally owned building in a bad location with no business strategy, documentation, planning, and auction-grade used food processing equipment with no maintenance history, documentation, and lackluster parts support? Woof.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm going to sit back and wait for OP to come back with the next step forward. I want to see stuff moving into this store and the interior shots next. :)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

For $435 I’ll find out

It’s going to cost a lot more than that

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Rationale posted:

So I went and got a commercial mixer at an astonishing discount and dude’s still acting like I’m not…serious enough? I don’t know. Maybe focus less on my disdain for your “go take some classes about it” vibe and more on the advice that I am taking from goons and implementing in the real world.

What you guys present as fatal flaws are what I call “challenges” that can be “overcome”.

I mean...it seems like a lot of those other goons have a decent amount of firsthand knowledge and experience in this and related areas.

Even businesses that are incredibly well planned out down to the last detail typically fail. And the lesson from that isn't that planning is useless, the lesson should be: if you don't have a rock solid plan down to the last detail, there will be almost no chance for success.

Sometimes something will seem like a solid idea, but with small business ventures the risks are just too great. You HAVE to be willing to just walk away if things look like they won't work. There is a lot of poo poo you can't just push through with hard work and perseverance (even though you need that too).

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

Square has tablets now, it doesn’t scale well but it’s probably your best option at first

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’m in a bad mood bc I got into an argument about cookies today lol

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Don't run him off just yet, I can't climax until I see photos of his setup.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My kid says you should call the shop "Donut Touch" and my husband says you should call it "Go Nuts Donuts" which sounds great out loud and we are all cheering for you.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Robots all the way, especially used ones so they’re on the cheap. They’re just a bunch of wires and motors anyway ain’t no thing for a skilled tradesman or his buddies.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
as a roboticist they're no harder to fix or maintain than an espresso machine, which OP has declared they're very capable of servicing.

Rationale posted:

On the one hand I’m certainly capable of espresso maintenance/repair but on the other hand I’m also capable of voiding the warranty or electrocuting myself. The ol’ diy roulette

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tnuctip posted:

What about increasing automation? If you could find some sweet used Fanucs or Kukas then you wouldn’t have to work as hard. Work smart not hard. Robot donuts would actually be a cool catch and help differentiate your shop. People might even go out of their way to be served donuts by a robot.

I'm assuming you know this but they make specialized donut machines that are hilariously cheaper than a used Kuka arm.

No idea of takt time or whatever of this but:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314085643502

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

cursedshitbox posted:

as a roboticist they're no harder to fix or maintain than an espresso machine, which OP has declared they're very capable of servicing.

okay hold up. He has an espresso machine that needs service? Legit, those are dangerous. Don't gently caress around with high pressure steam please.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Tnuctip posted:

Robots all the way, especially used ones so they’re on the cheap. They’re just a bunch of wires and motors anyway ain’t no thing for a skilled tradesman or his buddies.

My dude puts circuit boards on his siloscope and solders randomly til them shits are good again.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm assuming you know this but they make specialized donut machines that are hilariously cheaper than a used Kuka arm.

No idea of takt time or whatever of this but:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314085643502

Yeah that’s the duck donuts model. Those are pretty good OP

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

okay hold up. He has an espresso machine that needs service? Legit, those are dangerous. Don't gently caress around with high pressure steam please.

No he’s really smart. Op flush your lithium down the toilet, fire up the boiler and start tinkering

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

beep-beep car is go posted:

Probably the nastiest burn I ever got was poking a hole in the plastic on a tv dinner

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Specialized donut equipment is maybe the choicest racket I’ve seen in food. The margins on that poo poo has to be insane

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I think the French fry guy at the fair is the real margin bandit

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
It seems like you can open a donut shop for like $5000 if I just wanted to do it. A couple stand mixers + a $2500 robot and some $20 coffee makers.

And whats a glazed cake donut cost to make like 25 cents?

Imma put up some barn wood poo poo and some chalk writing on blackboards and be in business.

TY for the inspiration.

Will WE make money in donuts and coffee

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Those robots are really cool but a regular open kettle affords a lot more flexibility.

I bet a donut robot could make a killing on a food truck if people could watch it

E: id have to find a way to run yeast dough through it because I’m a snob now

Rationale fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 2, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
These are neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8goV7KsEMk

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
What the actual gently caress have I just read?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The result of nobody being able to close the thread or probate anything. :haw:

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Some kind of weirdo midlife crisis in action

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The ground floor of what will become a forums legend?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
It’s business, baby

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's sad (for comedy) that when OP runs his business into the ground he's going to either abandon his forums account completely or just ignore this thread and all calls for him to return to the thread

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
drat now I’m all that and a coward too

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

drat now I’m all that and a coward too

I missed it - did you ever answer whether or not you bought that avatar? It's absolutely epic and if you didn't buy it, someone gave you a kickass av.

E: VVVVV Thanks Epitope!

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 3, 2022

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got u

Rationale posted:

E: thank you whoever for my new avatar I feel like I’m in the clique for real now

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Gonna make goatse donuts next time I fry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rationale posted:

Gonna make goatse donuts next time I fry

Please name your shop The Donut Hole, and brand accordingly