Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The "Slay the Spire" KS is live. I haven't done a boardgame KS in some time - but I'm in for this.

It looks like a very straightforward port, just with numbers simplified (eg. Iron Wave does 1 dmg/1 blk instead of 5/7 and 5/7).

I think it maybe could have used more streamlining - like, I think this is going to drag on a bit too much... but the core game is so good that I think this will still be better than the games it's competing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
What will the game bring that the video game doesn't and can't do better?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The power of friendship

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Link for the lazy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/contentiongames/slay-the-spire-the-board-game

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

jmzero posted:

The "Slay the Spire" KS is live. I haven't done a boardgame KS in some time - but I'm in for this.

It looks like a very straightforward port, just with numbers simplified (eg. Iron Wave does 1 dmg/1 blk instead of 5/7 and 5/7).

I think it maybe could have used more streamlining - like, I think this is going to drag on a bit too much... but the core game is so good that I think this will still be better than the games it's competing with.

This will live or die for me based on if they have some reasonable insert for setup. Like hell am I locating and separating 24 decks of cards and keeping them in piles on the table. What is this, deckbuilding in 1999?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Personally, the computer handling all the fiddly bits and state tracking is precisely what I enjoy about Slay the Spire.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Buying it so I can grief the table with 40 minutes long turns as Silent

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

Personally, the computer handling all the fiddly bits and state tracking is precisely what I enjoy about Slay the Spire.

Yeah... I do expect some frustration with slow play/fiddliness. I very rarely, like, puzzle out Ascension 20 Heart Runs. Much more likely I play normal, speed through choices, and if I don't get the right cards for Grand Finale (or whatever other dumb gimmick I'm feeling) then maybe I abandon run and reroll. My average run time is probably 25 minutes (on desktop, anyway).

But... also, I want to play co-op Slay the Spire (and also, play with "adults" as a "respectable activity when people come over") - and if a slower more deliberate run is the cost, I think I'm OK with that?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Sometimes you are torn between playing board games with friends and playing Slay the Spire by yourself. Now you can play Slay the Spire by yourself AND play a board game!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Full co-op.

I've played it. It's solid.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
oh gently caress the all-in pledge gets you the beta art versions of the cards

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Saw this on BGG:

Tabletop Gaming Retailer Noble Knight Games' Workers Announce Intent to Unionize.

Go get 'em :ussr:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
That kicks rear end

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

“Request for voluntary recognition denied.” Not very noble…

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I have a friend who they fired like a week ago. I wonder if this is related.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Jedit posted:

Full co-op.

I've played it. It's solid.

Could be good with the right group. Upkeep and set-up look a pain but I'll hold until we know more.

BGN Report:

Mysterium Park - like Mysterium, but a spooky carnival. It sucked and all five players hated it. I probably plainly don't like guessing games - something I'm learning - but beyond that the game is too difficult and the art too abstract for the whole conceit. I didn't like Codenames much either and haven't tried Dixit. I imagine these games are most fun when you're the one giving clues which to be fair I didn't do for Codenames or Mysterium Park. Either way this one is staying on the shelf for me.

Wingspan - finished the penultimate round before needing to wrap it up. I really enjoyed it except that turns were painfully slowly which gets extra painful when you're so limited in what you can actually do on your turn. We were playing with five though. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure what board game veterans dislike so much about it (this thread and the most regular and oldest BGN members at the LGS both). This thread said egg mode in later turns/rounds is too obvious and boring but you can only do it every other round up to the limit of eggs you can put on your board so I didn't experience it as a big problem. I had fun moving the rightmost bird around to improve my next turn, which is made more interesting by the no repeating turns rule.

Full disclosure I'm a fledgling (ha) birder and generally love birds, looking at them, knowing about them, and learning about them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wingspan - finished the penultimate round before needing to wrap it up. I really enjoyed it except that turns were painfully slowly which gets extra painful when you're so limited in what you can actually do on your turn. We were playing with five though. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure what board game veterans dislike so much about it (this thread and the most regular and oldest BGN members at the LGS both). This thread said egg mode in later turns/rounds is too obvious and boring but you can only do it every other round up to the limit of eggs you can put on your board so I didn't experience it as a big problem. I had fun moving the rightmost bird around to improve my next turn, which is made more interesting by the no repeating turns rule.

Is "no repeating turns" a houserule? The implementation on BGA definitely doesn't have it and the rulebook explicitly says you're allowed to take the same action multiple times in a row.

I do feel Wingspan is less than the sum of its parts. When I get interested in something on BGA I usually have a pattern of joining a game or two and then getting impatient a couple turns in and joining a bunch more to dive in and Wingspan is definitely the game I most regretted doing that with. The particular implementation of async play in a game with lots of interrupts was certainly a contributing factor there but ultimately I think it's just too tedious to play for its limited depth. It reminds me somewhat of Splendor, but worse.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh I have no idea. That's what I understood when the rules were explained to the table and as far as I saw nobody ever took the same action twice in a row, including the two players who'd played it before.

The rule made moving rightmost bird a tiny simple puzzle so I liked it. poo poo, maybe I was the only one not taking the same actions cause nobody else seemed to be struggling with food as much as I was.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
An accidental house rule making Wingspan a better game is pretty hilarious

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I think the dislike for Wingspan came from it winning so many awards for so many categories that people felt was really undeserved for a game that was very pretty and with a great theme but otherwise very unremarkable mechanically.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

I think the dislike for Wingspan came from it winning so many awards for so many categories that people felt was really undeserved for a game that was very pretty and with a great theme but otherwise very unremarkable mechanically.

Yeah, it kinda had to be some black magic amazing stuff to merit those awards, and then it just wasn't even great. I think all the components are lovely, and it's a really 'lovely' game to play, it all feels very nice to do all the things. But there's essentially no interaction with the other players, and so it comes to the end and you either feel good about what you've done because on a somewhat arbitrary scale, you've done well, or you feel bad because everyone else was better at doing the nice things than you. But, there's never a feeling of 'Oh, next time I'll do X differently!'. I don't really feel like my choices are especially meaningful playing it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh I have no idea. That's what I understood when the rules were explained to the table and as far as I saw nobody ever took the same action twice in a row, including the two players who'd played it before.

The rule made moving rightmost bird a tiny simple puzzle so I liked it. poo poo, maybe I was the only one not taking the same actions cause nobody else seemed to be struggling with food as much as I was.

That's the thing, there's no real way to track what everyone's last action was so a rule that makes it important to remember what you did a turn ago is pretty cumbersome for a 5-player game.

I do agree that the migratory birds are a fun minigame, but it's luck of the draw if you ever get a shot at one, and it's kind of a double-edged sword since if you ever play a bird on top of them they just turn into useless overpriced birds.

Bottom Liner posted:

An accidental house rule making Wingspan a better game is pretty hilarious

I'm not sure it would be a net improvement. It already gets pretty painful if you get stuck having to go to the feeder or the deck multiple times in a row, being told that you can't seems like it would make it worse.

I do wonder if it plays better in larger games where the feeder is less likely to get stuck for multiple turns without food you need. But I think that may be misleading, because there's also more players to snap up the food you need before you get a turn.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Could be good with the right group. Upkeep and set-up look a pain but I'll hold until we know more.

Now the NDA is lifted I can offer you a game on TTS sometime.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
That’s one of the the things “fixed” (broken) in the Oceania expansion. You not only can spend 1 food to reroll the dice before feeding, but the expansion also adds a “wild” food type that can be subbed for any other food type and is also worth bonus points if you play the most of it in a habitat.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Morpheus posted:

so, Everdell

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

The dislike for many popular games around these parts are equal portions "it being honestly overhyped" and "I'm too-cool-for-school" snobbery.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
no, it’s just fine

which is the probably the biggest criticism

it’s a 7 with zero standard deviation

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
One of my group loves Wingspan and has all the expansions and everyone else doesn't mind it so it gets to the table occasionally. I find it dry as oats but I'm not going to burst their bubble so I entertain myself by only playing birds that match an arbitary theme I decide at the start of the game (so far 'the stupid looking birds', 'only giant birds', 'only birds with something in their beak') and only play actions that allow me to build as big a collection on that theme as possible. It says a lot about the game that I can do this and absolutely not have any effect on how others are playing (I wouldn't purposefully disrupt people playing seriously) and also come out of it with some sort of reasonable score.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Magnetic North posted:

The dislike for many popular games around these parts are equal portions "it being honestly overhyped" and "I'm too-cool-for-school" snobbery.

Lack of interaction and just more compelling games (nebulous term, but essentially using the same mechanics for greater interaction) is what I've frequently posted or seen. The thing about milquetoast euros is that there's never any hunger to play them compared to Knizia tile layers or 18xx or abstracts like square on sale. Nothing that's exciting like playing better or imagining a better move as a thought that you carry into the next game. They're just mid.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

What if Wingspan was in outer space and we called it “Race for the Galaxy” and it was a stone cold 10/10?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

base for the galaxy is a respectable 8.5. gotta throw a couple of expacs in to make it perfect

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, I sometimes wonder why nobody in the thread talks about Race for the Galaxy anymore. I guess it's just age, but the game has aged very well, I think. Looking at more recent games, I feel like RftG blows most of them out of the water. They seem to still be making Terraforming Mars expansions and I'd play RftG over TM every time and never regret it.

Magnetic North posted:

The undisputed top of the heap for me is Insider.
I'm curious about this because 20 questions is already very easy to win most of the time. That raises some questions for me. If I'm the traitor/spy, why would I have to give anything away? Couldn't I basically just play "normally" and have a high likelihood of winning? What would happen if when asked to look at the answer, I just didn't look and played in the dark like everyone else? Is there something that makes it harder than 20 questions?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

I'm curious about this because 20 questions is already very easy to win most of the time. That raises some questions for me. If I'm the traitor/spy, why would I have to give anything away? Couldn't I basically just play "normally" and have a high likelihood of winning? What would happen if when asked to look at the answer, I just didn't look and played in the dark like everyone else? Is there something that makes it harder than 20 questions?

There's a thread asking exactly this on BGG and the answer was "the non-spies should be intentionally bad at 20Q to force the spy to help" which seems odd.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Jimbozig posted:

There’s a fairly tight time limit but if (big if) the word were consistently being guessed without the Insider having to meaningfully intervene, then other players might try to force the Insider’s hand by, say, disingenuously wasting time or being overtly distracting.

Adding a little chicken, basically.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
RftG is still my favourite game and has been for a couple of years at this point. It's not the most complex, difficult, or strategic game, but it's always fun to play, somehow still manages to throw up new interesting decisions after dozens of hours, and is lightning fast compared to anything else I've ever played of a similar weight.

The only expansion you need is Alien Artifacts IMO, I don't like the full "first arc" experience and if you're only playing with a single expansion then AA is miles better than TGS.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

In my experience, the clues can be quite arcane. Many are normal, and not impossible like "Mickey Mouse's Gloved Right Hand" or something, but it includes a quite varied selection of things, including non-physical nouns. Even if your friends have large vocabularies, they might just dance around that solution by not finding that one darn synonym. Or waste time repeating questions because they forgot. Or they may go off to Mars because it turns out the Master accidentally answers a question wrong because they only think they know what a pergola is.

I get those concerns. That in-the-dark play is something we're always threatening to do, and have done in error on occasion. It might work but your friends might cotton on after you do that once or twice, or they may notice if you're quiet in one game, or maybe you react just everso slightly to an accusation differently or some other nonverbal signal. We have had the occasional game end with no one winning and the Insider having looked at the clue because we were just SO LOST.

I don't think the answer to this is "social contract" but I accept this might be an unavoidable hiccup in this game.

I would still recommend it for basically every group. It's cheap, it's small, and it's terrific assuming your group will get on well with this type of social deduction. If you buy it and don't enjoy it, then I am sorry.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

djfooboo posted:

What if Wingspan was in outer space and we called it “Race for the Galaxy” and it was a stone cold 10/10?

hm yes so I spend a warp core to activate my row of warbirds and then I pay five federation credits to acquire a bird of prey

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
With Insider, it's less "being bad at 20q on purpose" and more "not trying to get the correct answer in record time".

It's a great game and part of it is also that the Insider might be hesitant to make good quesses, in fear of being revealed that way, which is also a clue for others. Why was person X so quiet this round? Or a non-insider can make a great guess by accident, and be the main suspect that way. The game master is also allowed to discuss the game after the word is guessed, which adds another layer.

The game is so much more than just it's basic mechanincs and I'd also recommend it to just about everyone.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Race still gets talked about a bunch, at least in the discord. Though mostly the discussion is along the lines of "I'd rather play Race" because it's been talked to death.
Honestly, I think it's got a fairly significant problem in getting new players involved. The main gameplay is "here are 5 unique cards, play the one that works by discarding the ones that don't". You have to read a bunch of info-rich cards, a lot of that information in unknown symbols. Then you must fully commit to a plan trusting you totally understood all the systems down the line . With the draw cards action, you have to do all this before everyone else can proceed to the next phase. And as it's a very old game, you're probably going to be sitting across the table from someone who's played the game, knows all the cards, and is making small talk about how it's a quick game really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I just played RFTG this weekend on BGA. I do like it, but it is tough to get back to after a while away. I accept that RFTG is the better game, but I like San Juan a whole lot more.