Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Anyone that recommends pentamelding outside of early savage prog or max level crafting/gathering needs to be examined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

or they have some materia to sell :mmmsmug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Is there even a meaningful market for combat materia low enough to meld onto level 50 gear? Is... is this guy trying to create one?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ARR relics chew through a ton of them.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I was teaching my sprout friend about gearing and where to buy Poetics and stuff, and some jackass lunatic barges in and legitimately suggests using pentamelded IL115 crafted instead of Ironworks???
Even if that is stronger, it'd have to be by like, what, 1%? Not to mention if you get level-synced down it just ignores your materia entirely and gives you stats based off the duty's max item level instead, which would be everything until Snowcloak when they'll have outleveled it all anyway!
Needless to say I chewed him out and shut down any notion that you should go and spend hundreds of thousands of gil on crafted gear and materia melding instead of using the effectively free tomestone gear that's better in at least 99.99% of all situations :nallears:

and then everyone else in chat stood up and clapped

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The only information anyone in the newbie thread needs to know about melding is "As a newbie, you do not need to care about melding".

Any materia you can get as quest rewards, either take to an NPC to just slot it immediately; slot it yourself if you've levelled a crafter; or just immediately toss it into the market board. Keep it out of your inventory.

Possible exception: You are actually levelling gathering/crafting and need that little extra boost. In this case maybe you want to hold onto those crafting-related materia but you'll probably set your mind at ease just chucking those materia, as above, and buying more off the market board once you actually need it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

granted i havent gotten into current extremes but i just hit 90 on all my combat classes and the only melding i have done whatsoever is for the blue mage final battle

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's cool if someone wants to learn about materia and experiment, because they can always pull the materia back out and reuse/resell it. Definitely not a thing you *need* to know or care about below level 90.

It can be helpful for mid-level crafting if materia lets you hit certain stat levels that allow for shorter/better macros (the guides will tell you, though).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vitamean posted:

and then everyone else in chat stood up and clapped
KPW is a good person who gives away absurd amounts of gear and materials and help and information to any sprout with even a modicum of interest in getting better and learning more about the game. I am fully ready to believe they were having this conversation in front of the Limsa market board/aetheryte and some dipshit chimed in to remind everyone why you don't get advice from the people who hang out around the Limsa marketboard and aetheryte.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
You mean I won't get a 5% discount by putting in FF14GOLD on my purchase of gil on a sketchy website? The people at the Aetheryte?

Why would someone lie to me on the Internet?!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bewilderment posted:

The only information anyone in the newbie thread needs to know about melding is "As a newbie, you do not need to care about melding".

Any materia you can get as quest rewards, either take to an NPC to just slot it immediately; slot it yourself if you've levelled a crafter; or just immediately toss it into the market board. Keep it out of your inventory.

*looks at retainer with an entire page full of materia* This is gonna take a bit.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

When you're putting materia on the market board compare the default price the game sets (this is what you'd get from selling it to a vendor) to the price people are selling it for.
Remarkably often people will list materia on the market board for the same price or less than a vendor would buy it, if that happens you can right-click -> "have retainer sell this item" to immediately vendor it from the same screen you'd lose to create a listing for it.

Edit: as a rule of thumb materia vendor for about 130gil so if you're ever listing materia on the market board for less than 200 you're probably better off vendoring it

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

KPW is a good person who gives away absurd amounts of gear and materials and help and information to any sprout with even a modicum of interest in getting better and learning more about the game. I am fully ready to believe they were having this conversation in front of the Limsa market board/aetheryte and some dipshit chimed in to remind everyone why you don't get advice from the people who hang out around the Limsa marketboard and aetheryte.

While it was in Limsa, it was actually off in a secluded corner where it was literally just me, my sprout friend, and this weirdo who thought he'd interrupt our conversation with this great advice. But yeah, as mentioned upthread: if you can meld materia, great! But over-/penta-melding is strictly for the most cutting-edge content and absolutely not something you're expected to do otherwise, especially not for leveling :negative:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's the deal with considering crafting jobs basically entirely distinct from the disciplines of War and Magic? Is it not like other MMOs where the crafters make items useful to the player and you kind of need to be the same level in both to make things useful to you?

Is the idea to just sort of participate in the larger economy and buy and sell within that and not so much craft for your own direct use?

Also, I have a character that was very close to finishing ARR before I dropped off; I was playing several jobs and want to at least maintain one tank, one DPS, and one healer, is that going to be reasonable going into later expansions assuming I do some, but not all, side quests? I tend to be someone that does quests, other things like world events and dungeons I'll do either incidentally as I encounter them (and if I haven't done them lately), same with dungeons, I'll run them once per job and then do the duty finder only a little.

Incidentally my biggest ARR quest disappointment is that Archer leads to bard. The final quests for archer are very well staged, in terms of cinematography, and come off as a component episode from an action tv show. And then I'll be a performer, a minstrel? I didn't really mentally sign on to become a Bard, so I'm just going to let the class go..

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is the idea to just sort of participate in the larger economy and buy and sell within that and not so much craft for your own direct use?

More or less, yes. You can make things that are useful to you, but usually not as a first time through thing; I often make HQ leveling sets for myself for new jobs I'm leveling up, for example. Once you get to max level, it's also often a lot cheaper (if more time consuming) to mass craft your own potions and foods for raiding if you're into that sort of thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Incidentally my biggest ARR quest disappointment is that Archer leads to bard. The final quests for archer are very well staged, in terms of cinematography, and come off as a component episode from an action tv show. And then I'll be a performer, a minstrel? I didn't really mentally sign on to become a Bard, so I'm just going to let the class go..

If it helps there's still a lot of archery in the Bard job. You're keeping (eventually) three songs rolling over the rest of the stuff you're doing, but the rest of the stuff you're doing is shooting arrows of various types. Including my personal favourite, Refulgent Arrow. Right out of your robot anime of choice.

But if the name's a dealbreaker for you, fair enough.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is my biggest gripe about ARC/BRD too. I have very little interest in the performance/song stuff, I just wanna shoot arrows at things.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I too was skeptical about bard until I realized that singing let me machine gun bloodletters

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I should specify that I say this as someone who has BRD up in the 80s. I like archery, still not super sold on the song stuff.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the songs are just your buffs i don't get it. if it was straight archer it would be the same thing except three of your attacks would have green feather effects instead of music notes or whatever

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's not about the mechanics, I have no idea how Bard plays because I ended the Archer quest line and said "Nah I don't want my WoL to be a bard for RP reasons." I personally navigate a little head cannon for all the jobs I go into, and why, and Archer fit for me in a way Bard doesn't. It's 100% subjective and personal and someone else could have made the transition with zero problem.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm a bit like that with Lancer and Dragoon. Courageous spear man good, spiky dragon fetishist bad.

Quite liked the Bard class story in ARR. Jehantal is sad because people want him to teach them archery when he's a musician now.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's not about the mechanics, I have no idea how Bard plays because I ended the Archer quest line and said "Nah I don't want my WoL to be a bard for RP reasons." I personally navigate a little head cannon for all the jobs I go into, and why, and Archer fit for me in a way Bard doesn't. It's 100% subjective and personal and someone else could have made the transition with zero problem.

This is basically my take on it, but I powered through it anyway. Will definitely not be sticking with it for entirely subjective reasons.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Did the bard trainer break your wol's kneecaps?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Look at all these poor fools who don't understand the true power of the fancyboy

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You see if they just stuck with the multiple-job-stones-per-class idea they'd begun with we wouldn't be having this conversation, people that don't like bard could be hunter and still be shooting mad arrows. And since the XP would be shared like with SCH/SMN, if they decided they wanted to start singing it would be ready to go any time.

That's only half serious criticism, yoshi-p has said that system was actually terrible and I believe him. I do wish we could get Corsair leading into Machinist, though. There's guns on the Marauder HQ flags for a reason! :ocelot::yarr:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I also prefer the fantasy of a very cool archer over a bard, but on the other hand Bard gave us Guydelot and Sanson so who can say if it’s bad or not.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Back in the day you had to get Archer to 15 to become a Black Mage, and then to 34 to get an important aggro management cooldown, so I have ARC 34 sitting on my class attainment card with no corresponding BRD job stone.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Jack B Nimble posted:

:same: kinda.

I've been avoiding most of the casting and healing classes because my WoL is a "likes stabbing things" kinda gal (special exception made for RDM and SGE, the stabbiest of the magic classes), though for the classes that I really want to play even if they clash with my character conceit (DRK and RPR) I just do the quests but write off their content as non-canon in my head.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean I’m the same but in reverse, my girl is a caster only and I’ve only leveled PLD, SAM, and BRD on her for my ability to do role quests and consider them “noncanon”.

With the exception of 50-70 BRD which I went “uhhhhhh Vorsaile asked E-Sumi for a conjurer under the table to keep Sanson alive and E-Sumi recommended someone who has left the guild (because my WoL was now a White Mage) so she did all those quests as a White Mage”. I had no choice because I love BRD 50-70 a lot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My WoL simply just plays every job

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

My WoL likes new adventures and putting everything not nailed down into her inventory. Job stones are different flavored adventures that can be put in your pocket.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Regy Rusty posted:

My WoL simply just plays every job

Heya every job person, I need to get back to playing so I can do the MSQ and see the new story, and also level everything for the new crown.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GloomMouse posted:

My WoL likes new adventures and putting everything not nailed down into her inventory. Job stones are different flavored adventures that can be put in your pocket.

:hmmyes:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Not meant to be derogatory in any way, but I simply play the jobs I want to because I treat the video game as one... and like, I get all the stuff about headcanon, but I don't really feel it's prudent to limit myself in that way if I'm interested in something. If you and your WoL share that distate, then sure, but make it about your distaste first, I think. Apologies if this got on anyone's nerves.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh, yeah, I'm not maintaining an elaborate mental construct, *I* don't think Bards are very cool.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I only get mad about people who roleplay in ways that are against canon. A little cross classing never hurt anybody though.

But if you don't want to play a class and you rp a reason why that's fine. There's tons of other jobs out there, have fun.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bards ARE cool, but that's also only what I believe, not a hard and fast fact. Don't let Edward get you down.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Even ignoring RP stuff, the change from archer to bars is likely jarring for many. "Bard" in rpgs tends to be more of a support role, especially so in the Final Fantasy series. People familiar with the series might assume Archer would turn into Ranger, but then when they hit 30 and get Bard it feels like you're going from "ranged damage dealer" to "party support" which is a wildly different experience.

Obviously that is NOT the case, you're still a ranged damage dealer, but new players likely won't know that. Furthermore the lv 30 ability is a song called "Mage's Ballad" - yes it buffs dmg, but the name gives the impression that you'll be in a support role. So you swap to bard, which you're primed to think of as a support, then get a mage song that's a party buff, and I bet a lot of people just think "oh I guess I'm a party support now, that sucks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Clearly they need to take Bards in a more Tenacious D direction with songs that cause peoples' heads to explode.