Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Roadie posted:

Forcing through Multiculturalism at the game start date has almost zero impact on your gameplay beyond boosting immigration, so why would I assume that other laws actually do things?

*sucks air through teeth* Well,

e: im not joking either, just embrace the fun of hitting poo poo, watching your numbers freak out, and trying to deduce what happened like an amnesiac cop trying to solve their own serial murder crimes. i, in a fit of bored benevolence, accidentally cosigned the all of Wales to a pit of cannibalistic destitution. still dont really know how i did that. 2.3 standard of living to all the welsh folk.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Roadie posted:

Forcing through Multiculturalism at the game start date has almost zero impact on your gameplay beyond boosting immigration, so why would I assume that other laws actually do things?
If a law changes a production method you should probably check that production method. That's how abolishing serfdom and enforcing secular administration works too.

You didn't know that, and now you know. It's fine. No reason to get defensive, and no reason for other people to call you out.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I’m not sure making the AI more likely to get involved in diplo plays was the best idea, in a fresh game currently the only active fighting in the opium war is in Spain.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

You're playing Vicky and don't know what a workers coop is? C'mon

I can't believe I have to spell this out, but I'm being sarcastic because "you can figure out the unlisted mechanic around the change of dividends by looking up the definition of a real-life worker cooperative" is incredibly stupid.

Eiba posted:

If a law changes a production method you should probably check that production method. That's how abolishing serfdom and enforcing secular administration works too.

You didn't know that, and now you know. It's fine. No reason to get defensive, and no reason for other people to call you out.

Roadie posted:

This entire line of conversation started with how stupid it is that all this stuff is buried in nested tooltips and relies on you already understanding how upper class jobs work (including stuff like the investment pool contributions, which aren't even mentioned in the Aristocrat/Capitalist tooltips) just to have a rough idea of what's going to happen when you pass that law, instead of, say, having even a single paragraph that summarizes the high-level effects.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 2, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

Actually related to this, what does abolishing serfdom do? By the production method it seems like the only change it makes is that peasants get slightly higher SOL because of the one extra point of subsistence output. I mean obviously the big thing about the law is the massive boost it gives to the landholder IG, but as far as I can tell there's no penalty to social mobility for peasants with serfdom enabled, they can still gain qualifications and become factory workers or whatever as fast as your education system will allow. Unless having a SOL of 4 is a big break point of some kind for gaining qualifications? Which is possible but I'm not sure how I'd find that out.

Unrelated, but on the topic of Standard of Living, what's the highest people have managed to get their pops to? The range goes from 1-100 but I know that maxing out is something the devs think is probably impossible - in my experience I seem to hit the upper limit around 40 or so.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Arrath posted:

Yeah, it's very strange to make a trip through my roster of generals and find they're all 85+ boomers and despised by the public/their IG members. Then they die as soon as they get the sack.
A lot of people's health go south the moment they retire, so that part at least makes sense.

Eiba posted:

Well there's no contradiction between feminism and imperialism.
There is when you consider that imperialism relies on hierarchies of worth, the argument for which will also put woman below men in basically any society that values violence - like an imperialist one. That said, I do agree that it is easier to paper over this contradiction than it is for multiculturalism and imperialism.

Eiba posted:

I'm not saying imperial utopias are cool and good. But I don't understand why it's important for the game to prevent them in this case.
Because the game shouldn't whitewash imperialism. An "imperial utopia" is just straight up propaganda that makes no loving sense, and even a slightly less utopian variant just plays into the notion that empires were far more value-neutral than they actually were - their leaders just slightly conservative types rather than genocidal maniacs. The most positive outcome of empire should be no genocides or ethnic cleansing, not anything approaching respect and understanding. Like, just look at the discourse in post-imperial states like Russia and the UK to see what an absolute number imperialism did to their collective understanding of their close neighbors, even now a hundred years later in the case of the latter.

If you want a utopia, it should at least be one that is internally consistent.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actually related to this, what does abolishing serfdom do? By the production method it seems like the only change it makes is that peasants get slightly higher SOL because of the one extra point of subsistence output. I mean obviously the big thing about the law is the massive boost it gives to the landholder IG, but as far as I can tell there's no penalty to social mobility for peasants with serfdom enabled, they can still gain qualifications and become factory workers or whatever as fast as your education system will allow. Unless having a SOL of 4 is a big break point of some kind for gaining qualifications? Which is possible but I'm not sure how I'd find that out.

Serfdom actually does totally block qualifications growth for a lot of professions by peasant pops.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Stux posted:

if u cant possibly concieve of what a workers co-op being forced in every single building in your country might do without looking it up, you may i n fact be too stupid for the game.

Yeah I think I’ve figured it out now:
1. game is too easy to recognize the effects of my own decisions.
2. you’re a pretty huge rear end in a top hat.

Ck is easy too, but it’s definitely more interesting at this point.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
As an aside, for anyone who's ever legally changed from a monarchy to any other government type - are there any events when doing so denoting the gravity of what's happening? Reading up on things like the Risorgimento or the Springtime of Nations, efforts to swap out the monarchy were almost always tense, involved a lot of stand-offs, frequently had flaring bits of violence even if things didn't quite break out to a full-scale civil war, and usually involved a very great deal of reluctance on the part of the monarch. Do any of the debates that pop up when trying to swap out of a monarchy capture that sense of barely contained chaos? It feels like that kind of thing should be a much bigger deal than, say, changing from per capita taxation to proportional taxation even though the mechanics for doing so are entirely the same. Swapping to a Council Republic or Theocracy should be a pretty big deal as well really.

Unrelated, one weird thing about the game, I think? Opium. This age is famous for the Opium Wars, where Britain fought a war to convince China that they should be allowed to sell them opium. Except why on earth would you do that Britain, you dummy, you stupid? Why would you sell anybody else your precious, precious opium when you need all the opium you can possibly shove in your pipe to supply your field hospitals and combat medics? Hell, if you want China as a market you can just open up a treaty port and then drop all furniture you can produce into their laps or whatever, it's fine, it's great even. But opium? That's a critical strategic resource and there's no good reason to let anyone else have it especially if your own people will smoke what the military doesn't, so why sell it?

Roadie posted:

This entire line of conversation started with how stupid it is that all this stuff is buried in nested tooltips and relies on you already understanding how upper class jobs work (including stuff like the investment pool contributions, which aren't even mentioned in the Aristocrat/Capitalist tooltips) just to have a rough idea of what's going to happen when you pass that law, instead of, say, having even a single paragraph that summarizes the high-level effects.

This part isn't even mentioned anywhere at all, as far as I can tell.

I don't really disagree that the game would be well-served by including a better high-level summary of what the law does - just noting that the information IS there, even if you do need to go digging and then put pieces together. With regards to the dividends there's no one-stop-shop for that information - instead, you need to read up the tooltips about dividends, then ownership shares, then notice that ownership laws are all about swapping out who actually owns the building (and realize that the icons on the buttons are what denotes who owns the buildings since the tooltip doesn't explicitly say), then notice how various economic laws provide an investment pool bonus for various pop types and then realize that such pop types ONLY contribute what the economic laws say they do to dividends and not a penny more, and then finally put all the pieces together to understand that communists don't have investment pools but DO spread the wealth.

So yeah, could be better.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 2, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fray posted:

Serfdom actually does totally block qualifications growth for a lot of professions by peasant pops.

Hmm, I was definitely still getting people moving from peasants to labourers/farmers/other lower strata jobs pretty quickly even with serfdom. Although I did notice that it took a long time to get people for my naval bases.

Tomn posted:

Unrelated, one weird thing about the game, I think? Opium. This age is famous for the Opium Wars, where Britain fought a war to convince China that they should be allowed to sell them opium. Except why on earth would you do that Britain, you dummy, you stupid? Why would you sell anybody else your precious, precious opium when you need all the opium you can possibly shove in your pipe to supply your field hospitals and combat medics? Hell, if you want China as a market you can just open up a treaty port and then drop all furniture you can produce into their laps or whatever, it's fine, it's great even. But opium? That's a critical strategic resource and there's no good reason to let anyone else have it, so why sell it?

I think opium currently suffers from the same "the AI underdevelops its territory" problem as a lot of other resources. Because unlike oil, there is a lot of potential opium on the map. Like it does use arable land so it has to share with other farms, but you're still looking at like potentially tens of thousands of units from a single state if you go all in. So it's supposed to be a cash crop, but it ends up being way, way rarer than it should be because the AI builds like 5 opium plantations and goes "actually I'm good now".

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 2, 2022

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I feel like that patch did something to gently caress me because yesterday I was on an upward track and playing today I have been in an economic downturn that I cannot escape from, everything's shutting down, SOL has dropped to 11.5 in 1896, half the country is radicalized whereas 0.3% of the country is loyalist, and nothing I have tried including free market economics, hardcore austerity, or various levels of welfare and subsidies to try and get the economy circulating again has worked. But at least I can confirm that angry pops very much can and will foment revolution :v:

Been trying for 15 years to unfuck this situation and can't, so I think I might bug out of this game rather than slogging through the last few decades.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tomn posted:

Unrelated, one weird thing about the game, I think? Opium. This age is famous for the Opium Wars, where Britain fought a war to convince China that they should be allowed to sell them opium. Except why on earth would you do that Britain, you dummy, you stupid? Why would you sell anybody else your precious, precious opium when you need all the opium you can possibly shove in your pipe to supply your field hospitals and combat medics? Hell, if you want China as a market you can just open up a treaty port and then drop all furniture you can produce into their laps or whatever, it's fine, it's great even. But opium? That's a critical strategic resource and there's no good reason to let anyone else have it, so why sell it?

have you noticed how much opium can actually be produced if you're smarter than the AI and actually develop it? gujarat alone has over 400 arable land that can be devoted to opium. you could get the entire world hooked on heroin from the output of two states

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hmm, I was definitely still getting people moving from peasants to labourers/farmers/other lower strata jobs pretty quickly even with serfdom. Although I did notice that it took a long time to get people for my naval bases.

Yeah, you’ll still get growth for the lower qualifications. In fact laborer isn’t even a qualification, literally anyone can take that job. But more educated stuff is heavily penalized or totally blocked. As Zulu I got bottlenecked really bad on clerks until I got serfdom repealed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Tomn posted:

With regards to the dividends there's no one-stop-shop for that information - instead, you need to read up the tooltips about dividends, then ownership shares, then notice that ownership laws are all about swapping out who actually owns the building (and realize that the icons on the buttons are what denotes who owns the buildings since the tooltip doesn't explicitly say), then notice how various economic laws provide an investment pool bonus for various pop types and then realize that such pop types ONLY contribute what the economic laws say they do to dividends and not a penny more, and then finally put all the pieces together to understand that communists don't have investment pools but DO spread the wealth.

Hey, finally something more obscure than figuring out how combat width works out for the first time!

Tomn posted:

As an aside, for anyone who's ever legally changed from a monarchy to any other government type - are there any events when doing so denoting the gravity of what's happening? Reading up on things like the Risorgimento or the Springtime of Nations, efforts to swap out the monarchy were almost always tense, involved a lot of stand-offs, frequently had flaring bits of violence even if things didn't quite break out to a full-scale civil war, and usually involved a very great deal of reluctance on the part of the monarch. Do any of the debates that pop up when trying to swap out of a monarchy capture that sense of barely contained chaos? It feels like that kind of thing should be a much bigger deal than, say, changing from per capita taxation to proportional taxation even though the mechanics for doing so are entirely the same. Swapping to a Council Republic or Theocracy should be a pretty big deal as well really.

Nope. In my experience it's basically a non-event as long as you have your IGs at least halfway managed.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 2, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Roadie posted:

Wow, what a convenient gameplay loop, pausing to read Wikipedia first so you can find out how the hidden mechanics work

the words "worker co-operative" by themselves should explain whats going to happen even if youve never heard of it before somehow

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yeah I think I’ve figured it out now:
1. game is too easy to recognize the effects of my own decisions.
2. you’re a pretty huge rear end in a top hat.

Ck is easy too, but it’s definitely more interesting at this point.

gonna cry?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gaius Marius posted:

You're playing Vicky and don't know what a workers coop is? C'mon

honestly this is pretty funny to watch.

heck I’d even agree wondering what the specific gameplay ramifications would be deserves to have it easier to read. But someone melting down because they never heard of a coop? :kiss:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Jazerus posted:

have you noticed how much opium can actually be produced if you're smarter than the AI and actually develop it? gujarat alone has over 400 arable land that can be devoted to opium. you could get the entire world hooked on heroin from the output of two states

This is true, but that being said opium DOES share arable land with other plantation types and if you have large late-game army all using field hospitals you can smoke a TON of opium, I mean drat.

Mind you, I am also speaking as someone Not British who had to painstakingly fight the naval invasion mechanics to first puppet and then annex Siam to get opium provinces and who got into the colonization game a bit late anyways, but still. If you aren't British, by the time you're in a position to trade with China (probably because the British forced a free market on them), you're probably better off using as many of your tropical plantations as possible feeding your luxury industries and selling THOSE to China instead of raw opium, which is more valuable for acting as an upper limit on the size of the army you can have before running into good shortage penalties. At least, in my own experience - I possibly could have gone harder on colonizing opium provinces but shortly after my initial spree I was fixated on dye instead, and later oil.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think opium currently suffers from the same "the AI underdevelops its territory" problem as a lot of other resources. Because unlike oil, there is a lot of potential opium on the map. Like it does use arable land so it has to share with other farms, but you're still looking at like potentially tens of thousands of units from a single state if you go all in. So it's supposed to be a cash crop, but it ends up being way, way rarer than it should be because the AI builds like 5 opium plantations and goes "actually I'm good now".

Yeah that's true, the game is honestly more difficult in a number of ways because the AI just isn't that good at it. It'd be fascinating to go full free trade if the AI actually made competitive economies.

Stux posted:

gonna cry?

Dude, you're kind of being a dick right now. Chill.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

To be fair, you can totally understand what a worker co-op is and how a communist economy works and not get it because the investment/dividend pool and how that works is a complete invention just for this game to give the player agency over how their countries industries and economy develops.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Tomn posted:

...though thinking about it, perhaps I'm overfocusing on your specific use of words and we're actually talking about the same actual concept?...
Yeah I think this is it, I should have been clearer. This "basic wage to sustain level" value is really only used as a starting point for calculating wages. So that tooltip is only accurate directly after the factory is first built. From that moment on, the value that tooltip shows should be called "basic wages we currently want/are able to pay here in this factory". As you correctly showed, from the moment the factory exists the wage decouples from the wealth present in the state. I never meant to claim otherwise, again, should have been more clear there. The point I was trying to make is that massive differences in wages paid by different factories can be traced back to this initial wage, in cases where the the labor market was rather calm so factories did not have to adjust the wages paid to remain competitive.

Now the calculation of this initial basic wage, here is my theory. Standard of living (=average wealth) in a state is set for each of the three income stratas. When the factory is built, it needs to calculate and set a basic wage that, after multiplying it with the worker type factor, attracts enough workers from each strata. So lets say we are in a state where capitalists currently make an average wage of 600. Then our newly built factory needs to offer at least a basic wage of 100 so capitalists can be paid 100x6=600. If machinists get paid on average 390, than the basic wage would need to be 130 so 130x3 = 390. Finally, if laborers in the same state get paid an average wage of 150, then the basic wage would need to be 150. I believe what happens now is that these three values are averaged, so (100+130+150)/3 =~ 126 initial basic wage (to sustain current wealth level).

Now using this starting point, the factory starts hiring, and immediately the connection to the calculated starting basic wage starts to fade. Should the set basic wage not be enough to attract workers from every strata, it will be adjusted upwards until every strata can be hired. This is where wealth comes in again. If our factory wants to hire laborers at a basic wage of 100, but all unemployed laborers available in the state have enough wealth that they need a basic wage of 120 to sustain their level, they will not take the job until either the wage offered is raised or their wealth level drops down to the point where 100 is enough to not drop further. However, workers in other factories with a lower wage level will readily switch over. On the other hand, if the factory runs into trouble, it will lower wages/fire current employees and try to hire at the new, lower wage level. This means that the workers hired initially at the higher level either get fired outright or get a cut in wages, and their wealth starts to deteriorate. If they do not have the option to switch to another, better paying job in the state, they are stuck. I think workers never quit by themselves, they either get fired or switch to better paying jobs. So they keep working their job while getting poorer, which is what happens in your example.

Tomn posted:

With regards to colonies specifically, it does seem to be true that relying on the lower starting wage granted by colonial exploitation can allow some wild wage differences between plantations, but then the question becomes "What are you using your colonies for?" Using them for profitable factories is something of a waste since being unincorporated, you can't actually get any taxes out of them and you only loosely benefit from their dividends and consumer demand. Much more likely that your colonies primarily exist to service your vast need for raw materials, and in that case fiddling over the individual profitability of a given building isn't as important as just building every last oil rig and opium plantation as you can. Overall, trying to control buildings based on manipulating wages as you describe seems to me to likely not be really worth the effort compared to just slamming down what you need, as you need it, at least in the mid-to-late game - you may be on to something regarding how to manage the early game.
I just think it's a fun thing you can do, and a possible way to get some use out of colonial exploitation. Putting down a massively profitable industry in a unincorporated territory does not give you taxes, but it does give you investment fund contribution, which I can see being helpful when you are growing. Another application would be something like steel industry in territories. The low wages would allow them to stay profitable and productive at a much lower price point for steel. This then lowers input costs for your steel using industries, as well as your construction sector. But again, that's just fun min maxing/tinkering opportunities.

Tomn posted:

Again, your explanation of how factories choose to decide wages and how individual workers make the decision to move from one factory to another seems to make sense - but I would argue that wealth isn't really the deciding factor here, raw wages and needs are (though thinking about it, perhaps I'm overfocusing on your specific use of words and we're actually talking about the same actual concept?) The question is always going to be how much money can the pops actually make, and how easily they can fill their basket of needs with that income - wealth is just a way of keeping score, as it were. I do note, however, that if your model is correct it is MUCH easier to reduce wages than it is to raise them - all you need to reduce wages is to crash the profitability of a given building, which isn't that hard to do if you fiddle with supply of the input goods, while conversely to raise wages you specifically need to create a labor shortage in the state - much more difficult to set up and sustain, though possible if you have massive migration and truly spectacular building practices. I'm not sure if I'd call that a problem in the simulation or accurate and working as designed, to be honest.
One more thing about wealth, as I understand it wealth determines which needs a pop actually has. So it goes a bit beyond a way of keeping score, it determines what is in the pop's basket of goods. That's also what drives it's relation to wages. As the wealth level goes up, the amount and type of goods the pop wants to buy goes up as well, which is why it's wage demand goes up. As for actually using this knowledge in game, again, it's mostly for fine tuning/min maxing certain decisions. Like say you want to increase your income tax revenue, so you decide to build a new textile mill to employ more people. Now, in order to get the most income tax revenue, you want to put that new mill in a state where the standard of living (=wealth) is already high, since that determines the initial amount of wages paid, and therefore the initial amount of taxes gathered. On the other hand, if you want to have a very profitable textile mill, for investment fund money or to boost industrialist influence so they eclipse other IGs or something like that, then you want to put that mill in a poor state instead.

Schnitzler fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 2, 2022

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

Yeah that's true, the game is honestly more difficult in a number of ways because the AI just isn't that good at it. It'd be fascinating to go full free trade if the AI actually made competitive economies.

I feel like the fundamental issue is that the AI doesn't really do much speculative development. And I can understand Paradox wanting to be conservative with AI construction to avoid the whole "capitalists won't stop building clipper factories my country is dying" problem from V2, but there are a lot of goods where the demand doesn't materialize until the supply exists, unless you're the player and will recognize "I'm going to need oil soon so I should start building a lot of pumps". Opium particularly is an odd one because as a consumer good, it can be substituted for other goods, so there is literally zero demand in countries that don't have access to opium, but do have liquor/wine/tobacco - until you start shipping them some and then it will end up competing against those other goods and enter into the pop need equation. I think the AI isn't currently set up to think about trade that way and instead only looks for routes that will be profitable from the moment they're created, and if it can't find any it just doesn't bother developing the resource beyond its own domestic needs.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

To be fair, you can totally understand what a worker co-op is and how a communist economy works and not get it because the investment/dividend pool and how that works is a complete invention just for this game to give the player agency over how their countries industries and economy develops.

With how much of the game is complete nonsense (see, for example: opium being something you don't want to allow anyone else to get your limited supply of, or half your army instantly teleporting home because a front split in two) it would be a stretch right now to base literally any game decisions on actual history. And that's before even getting to the stuff that's an invented abstraction, like the dividend and investment pools.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the fundamental issue is that the AI doesn't really do much speculative development. And I can understand Paradox wanting to be conservative with AI construction to avoid the whole "capitalists won't stop building clipper factories my country is dying" problem from V2, but there are a lot of goods where the demand doesn't materialize until the supply exists, unless you're the player and will recognize "I'm going to need oil soon so I should start building a lot of pumps". Opium particularly is an odd one because as a consumer good, it can be substituted for other goods, so there is literally zero demand in countries that don't have access to opium, but do have liquor/wine/tobacco - until you start shipping them some and then it will end up competing against those other goods and enter into the pop need equation. I think the AI isn't currently set up to think about trade that way and instead only looks for routes that will be profitable from the moment they're created, and if it can't find any it just doesn't bother developing the resource beyond its own domestic needs.

The endless oil/rubber shortages in late game that make a lot of production methods entirely pointless feel like an extension of this problem.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 2, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i understood it perfectly, with zero issues. and the games brand new, so i had no outside resource to look up. must be a personal problem on your behalf

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Paradox should have play tested this game a bit

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

The opium thing is it's own weird problem due to AI not understanding demand.

Opium states can produce so much loving opium. If they bothered to really build you can run ww1 level armies on it and flood China several times over.

But there's no demand the AI can see so it doesn't bother.

That and opium states don't generally develop out enough industry to actually run industrial scale heroin production.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Paradox should have play tested this game a bit

But if they did that, they would have missed the opportunity to release the game with typos in the defines

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Stux posted:

the words "worker co-operative" by themselves should explain whats going to happen even if youve never heard of it before somehow

To be as fair as possible, standard English usage does its best to keep "soviet" as something weird and foreign, and leap from "worker's cooperative" to just "cooperative" and further switch the definition of that to a buyer's club. I can see someone thinking in a vacuum that it means they're converting to froo-froo grocery stores.

Except, of course, it's not in a vacuum. Even if one's history education was lacking, it being in the government column in opposition to a president or a parliament should make one think for a moment.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
One idea I've been kicking around in my head wrt greater friction for social movements is splitting up more IGs. Specifically, having the existing IGs split into "sub-IGs" based on political ideology, such as Socialist Trade Unions vs. Liberal Trade Unions vs. Fascist Trade Unions. They would be drawn from roughly the same professions/strata of people for their membership but pursue different political goals based on their ideology. Getting the bonuses/penalties from an "IG group" would be based on totalling up the clout and support of all ideological subgroups of the same IG. Your Trade Unions may be politically divided against themselves based on ideology, and therefore not contribute their associated bonus or penalty. On the other hand, a particular ideology could be dived against itself along IG lines, forcing the player to balance more between pushing political goals vs. appeasing IGs. You could even add in a new Authority action allowing the player to influence a particular IG group towards a specific ideology in order to consolidate support among that IG.

Another possible mechanic that could be derived from this could provide a middle ground between aimless Radicalism vs. full-blown Revolution; IGs could be given tools to directly gently caress with and fight each other independently of player interference. The radicals might not be coalescing around particular movements and thus not open to creating a revolution, but maybe they are banding together as IGs and/or ideologies and causing mayhem and violence against each other in your provinces?

The biggest gap in this that I can think of is how to determine which pops choose which ideological version of the same IG. Maybe more laws should have associated Institutions that the player needs to balance to proactively affect different ideology onboarding rates i.e. Multiculturalism law could enable a Cultural Acceptance institution that increasingly pushes pops away from reactionary and fascist IGs towards liberal and socialist ones with increasing investment.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

has someone curated a list of best mods so far before my next campaign

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Schnitzler posted:

Yeah I think this is it, I should have been clearer. This "basic wage to sustain level" value is really only used as a starting point for calculating wages. So that tooltip is only accurate directly after the factory is first built. From that moment on, the value that tooltip shows should be called "basic wages we currently want/are able to pay here in this factory". As you correctly showed, from the moment the factory exists the wage decouples from the wealth present in the state. I never meant to claim otherwise, again, should have been more clear there. The point I was trying to make is that massive differences in wages paid by different factories can be traced back to this initial wage, in cases where the the labor market was rather calm so factories did not have to adjust the wages paid to remain competitive.

Now the calculation of this initial basic wage, here is my theory. Standard of living (=average wealth) in a state is set for each of the three income stratas. When the factory is built, it needs to calculate and set a basic wage that, after multiplying it with the worker type factor, attracts enough workers from each strata. So lets say we are in a state where capitalists currently make an average wage of 600. Then our newly built factory needs to offer at least a basic wage of 100 so capitalists can be paid 100x6=600. If machinists get paid on average 390, than the basic wage would need to be 130 so 130x3 = 390. Finally, if laborers in the same state get paid an average wage of 150, then the basic wage would need to be 150. I believe what happens now is that these three values are averaged, so (100+130+150)/3 =~ 126 initial basic wage (to sustain current wealth level).

Now using this starting point, the factory starts hiring, and immediately the connection to the calculated starting basic wage starts to fade. Should the set basic wage not be enough to attract workers from every strata, it will be adjusted upwards until every strata can be hired. This is where wealth comes in again. If our factory wants to hire laborers at a basic wage of 100, but all unemployed laborers available in the state have enough wealth that they need a basic wage of 120 to sustain their level, they will not take the job until either the wage offered is raised or their wealth level drops down to the point where 100 is enough to not drop further. However, workers in other factories with a lower wage level will readily switch over. On the other hand, if the factory runs into trouble, it will lower wages/fire current employees and try to hire at the new, lower wage level. This means that the workers hired initially at the higher level either get fired outright or get a cut in wages, and their wealth starts to deteriorate. If they do not have the option to switch to another, better paying job in the state, they are stuck. I think workers never quit by themselves, they either get fired or switch to better paying jobs. So they keep working their job while getting poorer, which is what happens in your example.

I just think it's a fun thing you can do, and a possible way to get some use out of colonial exploitation. Putting down a massively profitable industry in a unincorporated territory does not give you taxes, but it does give you investment fund contribution, which I can see being helpful when you are growing. Another application would be something like steel industry in territories. The low wages would allow them to stay profitable and productive at a much lower price point for steel. This then lowers input costs for your steel using industries, as well as your construction sector. But again, that's just fun min maxing/tinkering opportunities.

One more thing about wealth, as I understand it wealth determines which needs a pop actually has. So it goes a bit beyond a way of keeping score, it determines what is in the pop's basket of goods. That's also what drives it's relation to wages. As the wealth level goes up, the amount and type of goods the pop wants to buy goes up as well, which is why it's wage demand goes up. As for actually using this knowledge in game, again, it's mostly for fine tuning/min maxing certain decisions. Like say you want to increase your income tax revenue, so you decide to build a new textile mill to employ more people. Now, in order to get the most income tax revenue, you want to put that new mill in a state where the standard of living (=wealth) is already high, since that determines the initial amount of wages paid, and therefore the initial amount of taxes gathered. On the other hand, if you want to have a very profitable textile mill, for investment fund money or to boost industrialist influence so they eclipse other IGs or something like that, then you want to put that mill in a poor state instead.

Fair enough, though personally as I said I suspect the starting wage calculation is much simpler and merely a case of taking the average SoL of a state (which you can see yourself in the population tab of the state) and working out a wage that works for that. It won't pay the upper class as much of a wage as is necessary to meet their needs but it doesn't have to, since the upper class gets dividends on top of their wage and can make a royal killing as long as the building is reasonably profitable. That would likely involve fewer fine calculations than calculating per job type and strata (which wouldn't quite work anyways - not everyone in the same strata gets the same wage factor, i.e. machinists are lower class but make 1.5x basic wage, while laborers make 1x.) This should be relatively easy to test next time a new factory is set up, I'll just have to remember to actually, y'know, do that.

Your model about how workers decide to get new jobs is interesting, but I can't help but wonder if something is missing - in particular, in this beleaguered chemical factory of mine, the factory is out of reserves, wages have cratered, the capitalists have gone into debt and are actively jumping out windows, and yet somehow it's at near full employment and nobody's left to work at the subsidized, growing, and high-paying railway which is sucking up workers left, right, and center all over the province. Possibly I just caught it on a bad tick, though, maybe if I ran that save a little longer while paying attention it'd start bleeding as well. I admit that this was a save from right before I finished the campaign so I was past the point of really caring too much about the fine economic control of the province, I just wanted everyone halfway happy so I could race for the finish line and wasn't really paying attention anymore.

Regarding colonial industry, I'm a little uncertain of the investment bonuses. True, a highly profitable colonial factory might mean high investment pool income, but that's balanced out by the lack of income tax - and when it comes to construction, both really achieve the same thing through different means, but taxes are more flexible (though I suppose they do take more out of the SoL of your pops). Trying this trick early on doesn't necessarily mean THAT much investment either, as interventionism only draws a relatively small part of capitalist income to the investment pool compared with laissez-faire fuckery. Mind you, using colonies for cheap raw resource plantations could actually work perfectly with this setup, since interventionism DOES include aristocrats contributing a little the investment pool so you can hit multiple notes of fulfilling your rare raw resource needs AND bringing in a small but steady stream of profitable investment income. The use of colonies to ensure cheap industrial input goods is much more interesting, though - correctly planned, that could have a lot of potential for fueling more advanced industry. Though, then again, while the wider economic impact would be good, I still have to wonder how the math works out regarding the loss of direct tax income, and of course covering Africa in steel mills and electric power plants to feed European industry is ahistoric nonsense but that's Paradox for you.

Actually come to think of it, this might be an interesting experiment: One of the specific bonuses of Colonial Exploitation is "-25% reduction to starting wages" in unincorporated states. I wonder if wages will remain what they are if you change the law or incorporate the state? If your model is correct it might theoretically be almost universally better for the economy as a whole to try and simultaneously plant multiple different industries in a colonial state at the same time and then incorporate it to become a full industrial powerhouse. For that matter, the same would apply to states conquered in war - this could get really weird, really fast looking for edge case exploits.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Honestly, I agree. Feels a bit weird to be smug about "Why don't you understand what co-ops are, you dummy" when the point is that it's hard to guess in advance how good the actual model is at depicting what a co-op actually does since everything must necessarily be gamified and balanced out and who's to say that Paradox had the same vision in mind as you did when they designed it or that they got the balance right? Like, you can play multiple kinds of communist states in HoI4, including states that started as something other than communist, but how many of your economic decisions are significantly changed by that, and can you correctly guess ahead of time what the actual in-game effect something like "Remilitarize the Rhineland" will have? For all anyone knows before checking Paradox could have dropped the ball and made Worker's Councils a largely aesthetic change.

Yes, yes, "It's in the tooltips" but speaking as someone who has recently written WAY too much fuckin' stuff about things you can find in the tooltips over the past week or so, that poo poo's not always easy to find or parse. I don't see that it's unreasonable for the Council Republic law specifically to have a high level summary explaining what actual effects it has in plain English, especially since you get tooltips doing so for most concepts in the game.

Honestly the more I pry into the game the more it really is genuinely ripe for DLC of all kinds - the foundation I think is still fascinating and engrossing, but there's all sorts of systems that could benefit from greater depth or more flavor. Like at a basic level, flavor packs for various countries that give them their own unique IGs with unique ideologies, like what Qing and the Shogunate currently have for their landowner stand-ins but with more depth, and possibly even unique approval bonus/penalties like the dev diaries suggested would be in the game at launch. Or a system that ties diplomacy to domestic politics, that's a big one - right now you can have a pacifist party in power and yet happily conquer half of Europe in an end-game badboy orgy of bloodletting with no real domestic political consequences. I can very easily imagine a more in-depth system for controlling and investing in your vassals spun out into a full DLC-style gameplay system too. All kinds of things!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it was easy for me. ergo ipso facto qed.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
drat

maybe you should play multiplayer*

*a forty person game mostly works if you slap that rehost every hour

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Waifu Radia posted:

has someone curated a list of best mods so far before my next campaign

So far it's basically just all the "make the UI less lovely" ones plus Anbeeld's Revision of AI.

Realistic Population Growth & Resources may also be promising to try and make population numbers and resource availability better reflect real life.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 3, 2022

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The mediterranean architecture mod is the most important one. It will break your savegames

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Roadie posted:

So far it's basically just all the "make the UI less lovely" ones plus Anbeeld's Revision of AI.

Realistic Population Growth & Resources may also be promising to try and make population numbers and resource availability better reflect real life.

i dont care about realistic resources i want resources in fun and interesting places informed by history

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The mediterranean architecture mod is the most important one. It will break your savegames

a small price to pay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

maybe theyll enable a historical mode like hoi4. or maybe itll be left like eu4 to be vaguely historical sometimes but 80% of the time u look over at europe after looking at africa/asia for 250 years and wonder what happened.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Stux posted:

maybe theyll enable a historical mode like hoi4. or maybe itll be left like eu4 to be vaguely historical sometimes but 80% of the time u look over at europe after looking at africa/asia for 250 years and wonder what happened.

well, right now you look over at europe after being zoomed in on south america for 50 years and wonder why hasn't anything happened at all, so i would honestly welcome eu4 style "brittainy owns all of france and an irish opm is the holy roman emperor now" over the current state of things.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i did that and france had split into two apparently stable nations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

drat

maybe you should play multiplayer*

*a forty person game mostly works if you slap that rehost every hour

How is the multiplayer desync wise? Meant to join a mapgoons game but never got around to it.