Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like the arrow keys because I tend to use the left side of the numpad with my pinky, the insert/delete/home/end/pgup/pgdn with my ring and middle finger, ctrl with my thumb and shift with my index finger.

It works for me :shrug: at least for FPS games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Slayerjerman posted:

Thanks for this insight. I've been thinking about trying Pimax 8kx cause Im hunting for something "better" than the Quest2, but this sounds like it's not "better", just different aside from that very desirable 200fov I'm dying to try. I probably should just wait for Quest3... But I am not onboard with Meta or having another set of narrow fov goggles.

If that Pimax 12k actually materializes, it could convince me to try Pimax... I'm not thrilled about the costs or base station needs, but I can get past that.

I've said it before but the 200 FOV is a curse in the same realm as utrawide gaming monitors; once you get a taste it's hard to go back and you'll have to deal with limited selection and lack of support going forward.

The 8K[X] focal distance might bother you, it is way differenct than the 5K and I'm not the only one who noticed. Reddit/Pimax forums peg the 5K at about 1.7 to 2 meters, while the 8K is estimated around 0.5 to 0.75 meters. A few people there said that switching to a custom thinner cushion can solve the problem but I never had one so I returned the 8KX.

And again one big boon to Pimax is that they pair with lighthouse 1.0 and 2.0 bases/wands/knuckles all flawlessly and Steam VR handles is all, so the quirks of the HMD itself and it's drivers are all you need to worry about and that kind of limits the extent of how bad it can go. For a bigass headset I find them quite comfy (more than Quest Pro for sure) and they're easy to counterbalance. If they could get a drat wireless module out on the shelves

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020
Honestly have no idea how you deal with the distortion with Pimax. Of it wasn't for that I'd be on it like grommit but is it literally hurt my friggin eyes.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DoctorRobert posted:

Honestly have no idea how you deal with the distortion with Pimax. Of it wasn't for that I'd be on it like grommit but is it literally hurt my friggin eyes.

I've heard that a bunch but I don't know what people are talking about. I have 20/20 vision and there's only distortion at the very edges of the lenses, same as on the Quest Pro actually. Maybe you had a different model than me, and/or Pimax adjusted their software rendering to better match the physical lenses? The IPD and how far you have the lenses from your eyes both matter a lot as well. That's why I say only get them from Amazon so you're not taking a chance.

Again, if you mean the focal distance on the 8K versions, yes that was causing me physical pain. But the 5K OLED was comfy and undistorted (bordering on photo realistic) for 15+ hours of Alyx.

There's a lot of variables for sure and everyone's mileage will vary. I'm realizing one of the reasons I might be disliking the Quest Pro is that I have long hair now and it makes the headset way more slippery than it maybe would have been with a short haircut. No clue why they didn't put a top strap on it still.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

For those who used the PSVR headset, how excited are you about the PSVR2? Do you think Sony will do a good job of pushing VR gaming Forward?

only if it doesn't cost $1000, and have you seen what they're charging for hardware these days?

i really liked psvr at first until the overall jankiness of the hardware made me box it all up and shove it in the closet, and psvr2's hardware looks actually suited to the job but it ain't gonna be cheap. having no backwards compatability with the psvr software i already have is also a huge letdown. so, i dunno, but i'm not feeling it yet

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Has anyone here tried Paradiddle? It looks great but note detection on a VR kit is obviously kinda wonky and why I always preferred Ragnarock because it wasn't trying to do anything more than a simple 4 lane note highway. I like FEELING like I'm playing a real drum kit with real beats so this might be something I would want to check out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EightFlyingCars posted:

only if it doesn't cost $1000, and have you seen what they're charging for hardware these days?

i really liked psvr at first until the overall jankiness of the hardware made me box it all up and shove it in the closet, and psvr2's hardware looks actually suited to the job but it ain't gonna be cheap. having no backwards compatability with the psvr software i already have is also a huge letdown. so, i dunno, but i'm not feeling it yet

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/11/02/playstation-vr2-launches-in-february-at-549-99/

Launching in February for $550

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That is a timely update!

I still can't find PS5s in stores. I don't even want to think what this release will do to availability for the PS5 or the VR set.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

it's like they heard me lmao

i wonder how much of a pain it'll be to get it working on a pc. they figured it out for the first psvr's bizarre frankenhardware and this might be a lot more straightforward

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's open source drivers for RiftS and WMR with functional SLAM tracking, no 6DOF controllers yet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah it's hard to see there being a robust pc driver any time soon if the headset just streams the raw IMU/camera data over USB and leaves the host to do all the heavy lifting

in the outside chance that PSVR2 has an onboard processor which handles the tracking then it would be easier, but i doubt that's how it works

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

your pinky has fewer options.

That's a good thing, my little finger isn't accurate enough to use that many buttons.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

repiv posted:

yeah it's hard to see there being a robust pc driver any time soon if the headset just streams the raw IMU/camera data over USB and leaves the host to do all the heavy lifting

in the outside chance that PSVR2 has an onboard processor which handles the tracking then it would be easier, but i doubt that's how it works

inshallah

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Just unboxed and updated my Quest Pro.

Left controller is stuck in 3dof mode even after rebooting both the controller and the HMD. Off to a great start! :cheers:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I just found out that after all these years of RE7 sitting unplayed in my Steam library (because Capcom lied about PCVR support and I didn't want to play it for the first time in 2D), some modder put in VR and allegedly the motion controls are even better than PSVR. Gonna try to bash it all together into a working package with the Quest Pro and see.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What is the current best flight simulator for VR?

I was under the impression that MS flight sim didn't have proper VR support yet so it looks like its either X-Plane 11 or Aerofly FS 2. I'm really looking for a flight sim that is ideally 1:1 real world like MS flight sim should be. It would also be great if there was a helicopter to fly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Check out DCS. The base is free with a couple craft. You buy aircraft and maps and such. The different aircraft provide different levels of fidelity, some of them extremely in depth. Then join the DCS thread, then the discord, and then start wondering where all your money went.

Of the two free birds, one is low fidelity, the other is more or less 1:1, I forget which. The hornet and viper are basically 1:1, right down to adjusting the air vents. Lots of variety for types of craft to fly, including helicopters.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 3, 2022

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

MarcusSA posted:

I was under the impression that MS flight sim didn't have proper VR support yet so it looks like its either X-Plane 11 or Aerofly FS 2. I'm really looking for a flight sim that is ideally 1:1 real world like MS flight sim should be. It would also be great if there was a helicopter to fly.

VTOL VR is really good too. Helicopter's DLC, but it's worth it. If you really want to go full "realism" mode you can disable all of the flight assist stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wait, what's not proper about MSFS's VR support?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

Wait, what's not proper about MSFS's VR support?

:shrug: I dunno when I google best flight sims for VR a lot of them say something like this for MS flight sim VR

quote:

It isn’t an easy experience to get into and it wasn’t designed in VR first, so there are a lot of hoops to jump through, but for many people, it doesn’t get any better than this one.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Huh. I mean it did not run particularly well for me but I didn't take a lot of time to really dial in the settings. Other than that though it seemed fine to me, although I guess you'd definitely have problems doing stuff like interacting with the dials and knobs so I can kinda see that. Probably what they mean about it not being designed for VR first.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think that its either going to be AEROFLY FS4 or MS Flight sim for me maybe. I don't think DCS has like the real world locations I want to fly around in like the others do but its free so I'll give that a shot anyway.

I already have a warthog flight stick setup as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
MS flight sim works perfectly fine in VR. You have to tweak graphics settings to get it to perform well, but once it's dialed in it's fantastic. And they have enabled VR motion controls as of about a year ago. Its VR implementation is on par with x-plane, but the world itself just looks so much nicer than x-plane.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
You can pop off and flip the rear padding on the Quest Pro and it significantly increases FoV and comfort. FoV increase in particular feels massive - much more of a boost when compared to swapping in a low profile face cover on my Quest 2.

Really strange that they didn’t make it this way by default.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kaedric posted:

I had an old man moment with rainbow six because literally everyone who plays still uses WASD (which is... correct, and seems right) but then when I watch how they actually use those keys they have like, their middle finger on W, and index on D and I'm like... how the gently caress did you program yourself to do this

Luneshot posted:

is…is this not how everyone does WASD? that’s how I’ve always done it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think I need to see a video of you playing a FPS because I cannot picture what you are doing

Bad Munki posted:

I also need more details, I don’t understand how one would use WASD in any other finger layout.

The home row is ASDF. Your middle finger rests on the D key, not the S key. Why would using the middle finger for W/S be normal or even intuitive?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaedric posted:

The home row is ASDF. Your middle finger rests on the D key, not the S key. Why would using the middle finger for W/S be normal or even intuitive?

Easier to access Shift, Ctrl and Space with your left thumb and pinkie without moving your hand off the movement keys. And get at the number and Function keys quickly for weapons/abilities.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

repiv posted:

That's the part that's been worked out, for 6DOF tracking of the HMD at least. https://monado.freedesktop.org/ I haven't tested it to see how robust it is, though.

Are controllers are more difficult problem? I would have assumed that SLAM is the hard part, it's just that they needed to get that done first to provide a ground truth for controller tracking.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Kaedric posted:

My pinky isn't as dexterous as my ring finger, so I'd rather have my ring finger on a vital movement key and not my pinky.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Easier to access Shift, Ctrl and Space with your left thumb and pinkie without moving your hand off the movement keys. And get at the number and Function keys quickly for weapons/abilities.

I mean, I'm sure there's 'logic' behind it, but I'm saying, in a vacuum you open up a game and see the controls are WASD. Who then thinks to themselves to unlearn home row muscle memory (and then go back to it every time they want to type in game) and just shift over to the left? ESDF I can get behind, at least.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MarcusSA posted:

FS 2020 is fantastic in VR, I've been playing it on and off for months and it's a great time. Graphics are quite a hassle to set up properly tho, even if they did implement dlss recently. It's free on game pass, I'd definitely recommend trying it out as the world is breathtakingly beautiful.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

FS 2020 is fantastic in VR, I've been playing it on and off for months and it's a great time. Graphics are quite a hassle to set up properly tho, even if they did implement dlss recently. It's free on game pass, I'd definitely recommend trying it out as the world is breathtakingly beautiful.

Ok thanks! I know it’s pretty cpu limited even though I have a 3080 I’m sure I’m going to have to dial things back quite a bit

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also MSFS is on Gamepass, so you can try it out for ten bucks and see if it meets your needs.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MarcusSA posted:

Ok thanks! I know it’s pretty cpu limited even though I have a 3080 I’m sure I’m going to have to dial things back quite a bit

I'm using a 3070 so with a 3080 you'll definitely get a pretty good visual fidelity out of it at 30 to 50 fps depending on your settings. If standard settings don't quite cut it you could try out fiddling with the openxr toolkit which allows custom up and down scaling , which gave me significant fps boosts. That's a bit finicky though, maybe just start with standard install and see how it treats you.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Leathal posted:

Just unboxed and updated my Quest Pro.

Left controller is stuck in 3dof mode even after rebooting both the controller and the HMD. Off to a great start! :cheers:

In horizon worlds if you’re using a quest pro with face tracking turned on you’ll get made fun of because it looks like you’re stroking out

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I was in a room today where this girl joined with face tracking and everyone just circled her asking why her face was glitching out. The implementation there is really bad

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FS2020 is really pretty in VR, it's worth tweaking your settings for optimum performance. Just flying around cool places like, say, Rome or New York is a great experience. They took all their Bing Maps satellite coverage and ran it through an algorithm so you can start a flight literally anywhere and get buildings, trees, and real terrain. A lot of cities have their photogrammatic coverage, which uses the "street view" imagery to add detail, plus they keep adding hand-crafted points of interest to add fidelity. They also have dicovery flights, bush flights, and landing challenges so there's actually stuff to do.

I'll also throw in IL-2 Sturmovik for VR flight sims. It's a WW2 combat sim at heart, but you can do a lot of just plain flying around in vintage warbirds. One area where it really shines is WW1 though, stringbags with lousy machine guns makes for intense up-close dogfighting,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKverX9vvk

You need the Stalingrad set as the base game, everything else is DLC for that. You want the Rise of Flight DLC for WW1. If you want to shoot gun at plane, this is the standard for that. It's gorgeous and very well-tuned, with an excellent flight model.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

akadajet posted:

I was in a room today where this girl joined with face tracking and everyone just circled her asking why her face was glitching out. The implementation there is really bad

:lol: literally The One place where it needs to work well.

I've seen someone drive facial tracking on a VRChat avatar with just an iPhone while playing on desktop, and it was eerie in a fascinatingly-accurate way watching small facial and eye movements.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

You can pop off and flip the rear padding on the Quest Pro and it significantly increases FoV and comfort. FoV increase in particular feels massive - much more of a boost when compared to swapping in a low profile face cover on my Quest 2.

Really strange that they didn’t make it this way by default.

What. In. The. gently caress, this is like a completely different headset now. Flipping the padding let me turn that lens distance wheel all the way up to my eyes so the FOV is bordering on Pimax levels, somehow the chromatic aberration on text is reduced and yet the flipped padding is more secure and comfortable with my long hair, it's cupping my head better so my nose doesn't whack against the lenses.

lol ok I see one reason they didn't do it this way be default. That lovely pogo dock won't charge the headset at all if you don't prop something under it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Does it affect being able to wear glasses under it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kaedric posted:

because your middle finger is the longest one. it will naturally rest on w, and forward movement is the main input.

Only registered members can see post attachments!