Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Driving your COO and Ops teams out is one of the most boneheaded moves you can make in any company if you are attempting to hold confidence in the product itself, and not something you could even dream of trying to accomplish a few days, even in the smallest of companies.

The lettuce will outlive Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DeathSandwich posted:

The comedy option - fired for gross negligence because they sold the company to a known dipshit.

:ironicat:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

going great!!!

btw I'm screenshotting and linking now under the assumption that things could be deleted due to a musk meltdown, etc

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 2, 2022

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Imagine having all that money, and still being such a thin skinned lil' bitch 😆 the mind boggles.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Musk tried to troll AOC, and came off like a power mad SA forums mod,,. basically "gently caress YOU GIVE ME $8/month"

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1587911540770222081

Honestly, if I ever spent $44 billion on something, I'd appoint a CCO. Corporate Clubbing Officer. Their job would be to follow me everywhere, taking any steps needed up to and including whacking me upside the head when I take actions that would damage the equity I had.,

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Wow Twitter is really going places huh
https://twitter.com/MBrassenstein/status/1587919904426299392?t=Msml_jso3YJrAeVlE9FwQg&s=19

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

So proud of his photoshop that he watermarked it

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BlueBlazer posted:

Driving your COO and Ops teams out is one of the most boneheaded moves you can make in any company if you are attempting to hold confidence in the product itself, and not something you could even dream of trying to accomplish a few days, even in the smallest of companies.

The lettuce will outlive Twitter.

Oh it went a bit further. One of the reasons that the ad networks all got spooked and moving away is not just the bad optics of N-word use spiking. Nope, he fired their primary Twitter point of contact. And they all found out from that point of contact's twitter. They haven't heard anything from Twitter and the person who should be making reassuring noises is on the outside. He saw what Yahoo/Version did to Tumblr and yelled out "Hold my beer!'

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

blunt posted:

So proud of his photoshop that he watermarked it

After that Carpe Donktum guy got to go to the White House you need to be building that meme brand 24/7.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Looking forward to Musk inventing the flying Tesla...

https://twitter.com/jangelooff/status/1587856375824076800

...so one on autopilot can plow through a drone ad and kill two birds with one stone.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doggles posted:

...so one on autopilot can plow through a drone ad and kill two birds with one stone.

"You know what we need? More light pollution" said nobody ever.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a channel we wish were dead"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Doggles posted:

Wasn't something like this parodied in the Hitchiker's Guide series, or something similar, where they were going to do a deliberate supernova to settle the Cola Wars once and forever?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

How the hell is that legal so close to an airport

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SirFozzie posted:

Wasn't something like this parodied in the Hitchiker's Guide series, or something similar, where they were going to do a deliberate supernova to settle the Cola Wars once and forever?

There's a Heinlein story, "The Man Who Sold The Moon", in which the protagonist sells, among other things, advertising rights on the moon's surface. He points out to the owners of not-Cocacola that the not-7UP logo would fit tidily on the moon, and they might want to stop that. So not-Cocacola pays Harriman for advertising rights to the moon, and run ads saying "We are preserving its pristine surface for posterity."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Doggles posted:

Attaching a net to a couple quadcopters bought with cash in a town that isn't where you live could shut this poo poo down pretty quick

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EMP the fuckers.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mourning Due posted:

Imagine having all that money, and still being such a thin skinned lil' bitch 😆 the mind boggles.

I'm just amazed he's jumping on NPR and PBS' turf with the "for one cup of coffee" thing.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

That's not the kind of dev I do but it sounds completely off the wall to me to try and push a user-facing change like this in about a week. And with monetization on the line?

So since this news came out posters haven't even bothered to read the article quoted. Really goes to show what tiwtter does to your brain.

In the article it says the paid blue checkmark has to launch in 90 days, or the team responsible for it gets fired. Still a super short time frame, but I'd like to hear where you got a week from.

Now to follow up, after elon dropped the price randomly, I don't get what's so bad with twitter charging for blue checks? If you're influential enough to be verified you should be able to afford a subscription, and I definitely don't get this dumb free speech thing from AOC.

Plus, the old twitter verification system was garbage anyway. Tons of "journalists" from 1000 visitor sites, as well as conspiracy theorists of all shapes and sizes were verified. At least this way Twitter has a subscription model that people will take part in because we all know the tweeting politics zombies will champ at the bit to get or keep their blue checkmark, regardless of how much they complain about Musk buying the platform. Those people are addicted to hitting that tweet button, their tweets/day ratio is in the 5 digits lol, no way they're giving up their dopamine.

ETA: my bad i misread. Twitter definitely broke my brain. Nov 7th deadline is hillariously short.

Terebus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 3, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yep. And it sounds like it's basically that all over:

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1587236643215286272

quote:

Other employees are being encouraged to go build something — anything — and show it off to Musk. In one Slack message we saw, an engineering director urged his team to come up with new products and features and share them directly with their new CEO. “At best: you will get some feedback. You may be asked to ship it asap,” the director wrote. “At worst, you will be asked to stop and work on something else. Even in this case, at least you worked on something you love.”

some Twitter director posted:

I encourage you to rotate more on coding and shipping, and less on documentation, planning, strategy etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, that message is nothing egregious. Most employees at large companies would love the opportunity to fire off a proposal at their CEO. People at startups brag about having that kind of access.

The only problem here is the director is probably severely understating the risks of sending out a dumbass proposal that Musk hates.

As for spending less time on planning and more on coding, well, it’s always been hard to balance the two. Inevitably the pendulum swings the other way. You think Tesla managers aren’t spending a ton of time on planning? This is all Week 1 acquisition rhetoric.

Honestly I’d hate to be in such an unstable situation as an employee, but it’s pretty clear that Twitter, of all the large tech companies, most needs a kick up its rear end. Looking at all this from the outside is pretty fascinating.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vegetable posted:

Honestly I’d hate to be in such an unstable situation as an employee, but it’s pretty clear that Twitter, of all the large tech companies, most needs a kick up its rear end. Looking at all this from the outside is pretty fascinating.

Does it? There's literally dozens of social media companies barely hanging on. Suddenly charging for a, lets be honest, pretty minimal service, that used to free?

Particularly when that service seems like it's about to become a lot worse as looks like they're going to be scaling down even the small amount of moderation they had.

Like Twitter fills a niche for some business and what not, but in such a minimal way, it's pretty easy to see people move on from it pretty quick.

Twitter's a large'ish social media company that seems to make around billion a year for not doing very much. Feel like by changing everything so rapidly they're really killing the goose that lazy the golden egg here.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Terebus posted:

So since this news came out posters haven't even bothered to read the article quoted. Really goes to show what tiwtter does to your brain.

In the article it says the paid blue checkmark has to launch in 90 days, or the team responsible for it gets fired. Still a super short time frame, but I'd like to hear where you got a week from.

Now to follow up, after elon dropped the price randomly, I don't get what's so bad with twitter charging for blue checks? If you're influential enough to be verified you should be able to afford a subscription, and I definitely don't get this dumb free speech thing from AOC.

Plus, the old twitter verification system was garbage anyway. Tons of "journalists" from 1000 visitor sites, as well as conspiracy theorists of all shapes and sizes were verified. At least this way Twitter has a subscription model that people will take part in because we all know the tweeting politics zombies will champ at the bit to get or keep their blue checkmark, regardless of how much they complain about Musk buying the platform. Those people are addicted to hitting that tweet button, their tweets/day ratio is in the 5 digits lol, no way they're giving up their dopamine.

ETA: my bad i misread. Twitter definitely broke my brain. Nov 7th deadline is hillariously short.

Verification check marks came about because Twitter was sued (multiple times i think?) for allowing imposters to make fake celebrity accounts. It's a liability thing so famous people don't constantly sue them. It is directly in their interest, in a "you-will-be-liable-for-damages-if-you-don't" kinda way, and I don't think "well you have the option to pay us $8/mo or have your celebrity brand ruined" is particularly convincing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The only problem here is the director is probably severely understating the risks of sending out a dumbass proposal that Musk hates.

I'd be much more worried about the risk of sending a proposal that he likes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Twitter Blue: $8/mo, has whatever benefits verified and/or Twitter Blue users already get

Twitter Red: $50/mo, all the above plus you can still interact with lower-tier users who have blocked you

Twitter Black: $200/mo, all the above plus guaranteed protection against being banned for inappropriate tweets

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

I dunno, that message is nothing egregious. Most employees at large companies would love the opportunity to fire off a proposal at their CEO. People at startups brag about having that kind of access.

As for spending less time on planning and more on coding, well, it’s always been hard to balance the two. Inevitably the pendulum swings the other way. You think Tesla managers aren’t spending a ton of time on planning? This is all Week 1 acquisition rhetoric.

Agreed, I don't think twitter has been a technological giant despite being around for a long time. They've open sourced their platform and they launched bootstrap, but they're no google or amazon. They're not even part of the FAANG crew despite their user base and data volumes.

Twitter wasn't able to do that well monetizing their userbase of terminally online lunatics either. At least this way they're offering a service that the twitter crackheads care about and would probably pay for.

idiotsavant posted:

Verification check marks came about because Twitter was sued (multiple times i think?) for allowing imposters to make fake celebrity accounts. It's a liability thing so famous people don't constantly sue them. It is directly in their interest, in a "you-will-be-liable-for-damages-if-you-don't" kinda way, and I don't think "well you have the option to pay us $8/mo or have your celebrity brand ruined" is particularly convincing

There was only one baseball duded that tried to sue twitter and it was settled and the article says he wasn't likely to win anyway. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/tony-la-russa-twitter-lawsuit-63155/

I doubt Musk is going to fire the legal team and people have been impersonating ted cruz on there for ages. I don't think thats a worry about lawsuits from celebs at all. Anyone trying to make it big online will definitely pay for the checkmark, so this is a pretty good move for the company.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The thing is, "verified" users are a mix of corporate and branded accounts and "personal" accounts of prominent people, such as celebs and journalists.

The former gain value from using twitter as a platform, and probably should pay for it. The latter add value to twitter as a platform by producing content people sign up to read, and therefore twitter scaring them off by forcing payment is a bad move.

How you split the difference between the two is tricky, especially with many accounts being a mix of the two.

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

SirFozzie posted:

The second Red Dwarf book.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yep. And it sounds like it's basically that all over:

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1587236643215286272

I hope this plan does well, because as a manager I would love for "Don't wait for an opportunity to be handed to you" to be the new style.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
A subscription service however doesn't make them.any real money. Musk loaded Twitter with 1 billion a year debt payments, a subscription will at most give hime a couple million a month. On top of that he's got advertisers pissed off, and digital ads already were going down in price. Musk right now is literally shooting himself in the foot with every action and the clip isn't empty yet.

Twitter blue at best with 8 dollars for everyone is like 1.8 mill a month. Before you have people refuse or leave because of his other actions. He'd make enough to basically do nothing by doing this. But anyone that could tell him the finances is gone because he fired them and put a Tesla autopilot yes man in place

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

UCS Hellmaker posted:

A subscription service however doesn't make them.any real money. Musk loaded Twitter with 1 billion a year debt payments, a subscription will at most give hime a couple million a month. On top of that he's got advertisers pissed off, and digital ads already were going down in price. Musk right now is literally shooting himself in the foot with every action and the clip isn't empty yet.

Twitter blue at best with 8 dollars for everyone is like 1.8 mill a month. Before you have people refuse or leave because of his other actions. He'd make enough to basically do nothing by doing this. But anyone that could tell him the finances is gone because he fired them and put a Tesla autopilot yes man in place

You think there are only 225,000 people stupid enough to spend 8 dollars a month for a blue checkmark? Have you never heard of NFTs?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Dietrich posted:

You think there are only 225,000 people stupid enough to spend 8 dollars a month for a blue checkmark? Have you never heard of NFTs?

i dont think twitter turning into even more of a crypto shill platform is going to do much for its long term health

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Terebus posted:

Basically no one cares enough about the checkmark enough to pay for it. Moreover, making it something anyone can pay for completely ruins its value.

There are only two ways in which it provides value to a person's tweeting experience, except that it makes it easier to tell them apart from impersonators, and signifies that they were significant enough to need to be protected from impersonation. Elon handing out blue checks to anyone willing to pay makes both of those things completely irrelevant, rendering the checkmark completely worthless.

Vegetable posted:

Nobody wants that message when it comes a few hours "oh, by the way, literally half the company is going to be laid off by Friday". The clear implication is that you'd better drop all your important work and spend your week coming up with a shiny thing to impress the new CEO if you want to still have a job next week.

And Twitter isn't a tech company. It's a communications company. Fundamentally, the job of most Twitter employees is to solve social problems, not tech problems. Twitter's biggest problem right now isn't coming up with glitzy new features, it's figuring out how to decrease the levels of toxicity and harassment on their platform that's overrun by neo-Nazis.

Elon, who's pulling Twitter employees off those social problems for code reviews and "get it done in a week" new features while being openly sympathetic to the neo-Nazis, clearly does not get Twitter's business at even a basic level. Chasing off all the advertisers while thinking he's gonna make back that money by charging the userbase for things is an obvious loser to anyone who's actually looked at the numbers.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the only thing musk has spitballed that might (might) work is relaunching vine. the chattering class and government is freaking out about tiktok so much its actually possible that they implement some kind of preferential treatment for a us-based version. however him laying off 50 percent of twitter employees as well as him clearly not understanding the business model or appeal of social media makes it doubtful he'll manage to actually manage to execute on the idea.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Vine is dead and bringing it back is a boondoggle lol. That's not even counting how the code is massively outdated and they have no actual userbase, and how are they going to siphon from tiktok

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

basically

1) musk relaunches vine (actually just a tiktok copy with new codebase)
2) an unholy alliance of china hawks, corrupt big-tech stooges, and NSA spooks rams through a law/regulation that cripples US-based tiktok
3) he catches some of the migration

i really, really doubt any of this is actually going to happen but i dont see any other way he can possibly make up for the 300 million shortfall in interest payments.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Fundamentally Twitter is doomed because Musk's takeover has saddled it with so much debt that it can't possibly raise revenue enough to control it. There's just no way to make the math work.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I dunno, that message is nothing egregious. Most employees at large companies would love the opportunity to fire off a proposal at their CEO.

In what way does being forced to justify your existence to a moron who spends all day shitpostong a great opportunity?

The director of my project is competent and already gets updates from each group, he doesn't need to bully people into dropping what they're doing to hype something fresh every week.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Morrow posted:

Fundamentally Twitter is doomed because Musk's takeover has saddled it with so much debt that it can't possibly raise revenue enough to control it. There's just no way to make the math work.

Exactly. All of the cost cutting and monetization ideas are being pushed in the hopes of reducing how much Twitter loses.

The company is now Twit “R” Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I don't understand finance poo poo; how is Twitter in debt for being bought out? My layman's assumption is that selling things nets the seller money