Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

as soon as it came out that the writers dislike the games and books I figured cavill wasn't sticking around long

he obviously knows the trash they've been putting out and hes likely just as disappointed - he did the best he could with what he had to work with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

roomtone posted:

this idea of making witcher season 4 a complete farce is perfect. get gareth marenghi to write the whole thing. season arc is geralt fighting giant crabs.

At least have it build up to Geralt facing his first drowner in White Orchard.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

eXXon posted:

At least have it build up to Geralt facing his first drowner in White Orchard.

lol i was scared as poo poo for the first few hours of witcher 3

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
i can't believe nobody mentioned the real reason why cavill is no longer going to be on the show. immortal empires came out for total warhammer and he's playing it too much to want to work as much.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

This show sucked so much rear end! Lol

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Ardent Communist posted:

i can't believe nobody mentioned the real reason why cavill is no longer going to be on the show. immortal empires came out for total warhammer and he's playing it too much to want to work as much.

LOL, it's this. Y'all are ascribing some really deep thoughts to a guy who got distracted from a publicity interview by someone else mentioning they painted Warhammer figurines as well.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This time around he didn't answer the phone and missed the call to talk about season 4. WoW almost cost him the Superman role, painting warhams 40k minis cost him Geralt.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

LOL, it's this. Y'all are ascribing some really deep thoughts to a guy who got distracted from a publicity interview by someone else mentioning they painted Warhammer figurines as well.

Mr. Cavill is a national treasure.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

The only reason I was watching this show was for Cavill. There is no way I'm sticking this out for Lesser Hemsworth.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm very curious of season 3 will be good enough to even warrant wanting to watch season 4, Cavill or no Cavill. I've generally enjoyed both the first seasons. Every single scene adapated from the books is better in the books and most changes from the books are also for the worst, but I do still really enjoy the show. I'll still, likely, give season 4 a shot just to see how good/bad it is. I don't think Hemsworth is going to do a bad job in the role. But it might just be different enough to be completely jarring.

It reminds me of back when Kilmer replaced Keaton in Batman Forever. You can say a lot of negative poo poo about that movie, but Kilmer's performance itself was never a bad thing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm really curious how they're going to do Season 3 because it has an obvious endpoint where a lot of poo poo hits the fan all at once and I'm curious if Netflix will use that moment to clean house.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

there was a peculiar lack of bewbs in season 2 so they'll have to bring that stuff back to hold people's attention with Henry gone

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Gresh posted:

there was a peculiar lack of bewbs in season 2 so they'll have to bring that stuff back to hold people's attention with Henry gone

nah if they want to keep my attention after Henry leaves, they're going to need folks hanging dong left and right

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Aye Doc posted:

nah if they want to keep my attention after Henry leaves, they're going to need folks hanging dong left and right

I heard Cavill left because he's more ding than dong

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Having read the books and seen the two seasons of the show, I honestly prefer the show to the books. The show does a better job presenting Yennefer so she's equally as important as Geralt. Their on-screen romance felt more like a on-again, off-again fling than the teenage YA love story presented in the books. Netflix Ciri is way less annoying than Book Ciri. I think Lauren Schmidt Hissrich deserves a lot of credit for the liberties she's taken with the show. I'm not a fan of her other work (The Defenders, The Umbrella Academy) and, if this was because of creative differences, I'd really like to know what it was, but we probably never will.

It probably was Immortal Empires, anyway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Panama Red posted:

Having read the books and seen the two seasons of the show, I honestly prefer the show to the books. The show does a better job presenting Yennefer so she's equally as important as Geralt. Their on-screen romance felt more like a on-again, off-again fling than the teenage YA love story presented in the books. Netflix Ciri is way less annoying than Book Ciri. I think Lauren Schmidt Hissrich deserves a lot of credit for the liberties she's taken with the show. I'm not a fan of her other work (The Defenders, The Umbrella Academy) and, if this was because of creative differences, I'd really like to know what it was, but we probably never will.

agreed. just like game of thrones, the divergences from the books are the best part. i love lovely crap for idiots.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Giving Yennefer to more to do was good but -

Cahir as a raging gestapo lunatic?

The Game of Thrones politics but with each character being entirely one note and ungrounded from the world

Writing of all the clever dialogue and Geralt-Ciri bonding out if brokilon?

Francesca and Fringilla acting like giggling schoolgirls as they run an elf humanitarian mission (awful to watch, but just tolerable if you take it as gaunter o'crone literally bending them into a fairytale fantasy)?

That said I do think it's more a problem of the tone, cleverness and philosophical navel gazing of the books being lost than the things added being so terrible. I mean read A Shard of Ice, it's like a fever dream and at times hard to tell what's even happening.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Panama Red posted:

I want to make fun of this take but the reality is that most mainstream media has sort of trained people into accepting this level of garbage so I can't really fault you

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I cannot imagine anyone preferring show Ciri to book Ciri. Book Ciri is a goddamn adorable nightmare child that gets put through the loving ringer big time.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Henry cavill plays 40k?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Legends say he likes the Adeptus Custodes

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Henry cavill plays 40k?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlkzcreCKrU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

He's been to Warhammer World a ton, I missed seeing him there by 2 weeks 😭

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So what we clearly need is a 40K film with Cavill as the lead

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zzulu posted:

So what we clearly need is a 40K film with Cavill as the lead

He talked about that, said if it ever happened he doesn't know if he could take the role as there's too many characters he would want to play, and being any one of them would lock the others out. He could be an amazing Eisenhorn though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ijyt posted:

He talked about that, said if it ever happened he doesn't know if he could take the role as there's too many characters he would want to play, and being any one of them would lock the others out. He could be an amazing Eisenhorn though.

Emperor in a Horus Heresy film

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Emperor in a Horus Heresy film

Horus Heresy one man show.

Just Cavill and a chair playing all the primarcjs plus empie

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

ijyt posted:

Servetus posted:

Horus Heresy one man show.

Just Cavill and a chair playing all the primarcjs plus empie
Just do it like a Klumps movie and let Cavil play every part. :colbert:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

ijyt posted:

He could be an amazing Eisenhorn though.

Oh man, screw you for putting this into my head now. Watching Cavil go from a charming roguish young Eisenhorn to...well you know...would be absolutely amazing.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Strategic Tea posted:

and philosophical navel gazing of the books

That's what made me almost put the books down, honestly. People blame the English translation but I failed to see how a change in language would have made the books feel less meandering and disjointed. The sequence wherein the various factions are deliberating what to do with Ciri just felt bad to me. Ciri's constantly in mortal peril and Geralt says he's gotta find her but it just felt to me like an RPG where every 3rd character is like "YOU GOTTA SAVE THE WORLD" and all you, the player, do is gently caress around saving some woman's pet rats.

My fiancé and I read it at the same time and felt pretty similar about it.

The series could've been 2 books shorter and it would've benefitted from it. Or just stayed a series of short stories.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nah. The books are good and perfect.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Hamhandler posted:

Yeah I don't think they are motivated by hostility towards the fans, or even that a lack of reverence towards their source material is really in itself a problem. The issue is more that they did a bad job. They had easy paths to a straight adaptation, or a goofy, funny likeable adult Hercules reboot and they kind of just hosed around and made something that doesn't really succeed at much of anything and is at best acceptable content for the content machine.

Bit disappointing to see a dash of "those conniving hollywood writers just hate everyone and everything" here. Thought I ditched that with reddit but oh well.

I will offer up that, while I'm apparently a tasteless smoothbrained show enjoyer, I did not like the characterization of the witchers at Kaer Morhen and that was a sequence in the books I enjoyed. It was wholesome and homey, but that wasn't enough drama for Netflix so all the witchers had to be grumpy assholes, but I see no reason to read in maliciousness there; they just didn't think 3+ episodes of Full House: Ciri and Her 5+ Adoptive Uncles Edition would sell because we're in the post Red Wedding era of television and every episode of every fantasy show needs a "shocking" scene of someone getting suddenly stabbed.

Not malice; just bad writing. Same poo poo as when reddit/right wing twitter/youtube all freak out that a show/movie was bad because there was a black/asian/gay/etc actor/character. Bad writing's gonna be bad.

Could've been like episodes 24/25 of Demon Slayer (please keep your rock hurling for me being a filthy anime watcher to a minimum, I swear, besides Ghibli movies, it's all I watch) where it's just a training sequence with some light humor and the occasional "but there are bigger things afoot and we can't stay forever", but, again, we're in the post Red Wedding era of fantasy drama. Somebody's gotta get stabbed.

chaosapiant posted:

Nah. The books are good and perfect.

Then I'm bad and dumb, but I'm just gonna go enjoy my Superman/Mormonism fanfic, and gay space necromancers because those didn't make me roll my eyes the way a video game does when I'm told for the umpteenth time that [main quest issue] is dire and urgent, and then encourages me to sidequest my rear end off anyway.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Strategic Tea posted:

That said I do think it's more a problem of the tone, cleverness and philosophical navel gazing of the books being lost than the things added being so terrible. I mean read A Shard of Ice, it's like a fever dream and at times hard to tell what's even happening.

"A Shard of Ice" lacked any punch for me precisely because Yennefer had just been introduced purely as Geralt's romantic interest. Istredd was such an undeveloped character I didn't connect him to the show's version of him. Whereas the books give you glimpses of Geralt's and Yennefer's relationship, the show fills out Yennefer's and Istredd's backstory and gives us a reason to care.

As to philosophy, I didn't really see anything special beyond the boilerplate cynicism of your typical Dark Fantasy crapsack world setting. I don't think this needs to be harped on; it's pretty obvious without having to ruminate on human nature and so forth. The stories/episodes themselves convey this without needing Geralt to provide exposition. I don't even know what Geralt as "amateur philosopher" would look like on the show, short of him taking to a podium and giving a lecture on "shades of gray" morality. I thought it was a more interesting choice to explore why Geralt is sworn to a code of non-involvement in many conflicts but still tends to get involved anyway, which the show does.

As to Ciri, I can't see why anyone would prefer the whiny version from the books versus the more resilient one from the show.

Hissrich is a woman showrunner in an industry dominated by men and it sucks to see yet another woman getting a barrage of abuse from a toxic Internet community because she dared to diverge from the "sacred" show material. (Never mind all the cases like "Westworld," "Battlestar Galactica," the "Watchmen" TV series that improved on their source material.) Especially when we don't even know for sure if Cavill left over "creative differences" or for some other unrelated reason.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i honestly dont blame hissrich specifically. i blame netflix in general

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Panama Red posted:

As to Ciri, I can't see why anyone would prefer the whiny version from the books versus the more resilient one from the show.

I love the show, for the most part, and I love the portrayal of Ciri in the show.

That said: book-Ciri is a much more nuanced character. She’s whiny because she’s a spoiled young brat and that’s how a spoiled young brat would act. Ciri’s stay in Kaer Morhen in the books is much more wholesome than the show version. Especially when Triss gets involved and “educates” The Witchers on how a woman’s body works.

And while I greatly prefer the books, I’m not making GBS threads on the show, or Lauren. That said, I don’t think anyone in this thread/community has disliked the show because Lauren’s a woman. That doesn’t make her take on The Witcher any better or worse.

And ultimately, even with Cavill gone, I’ll tune in and hope for the best. I really want the show to do good because there’s a LOT of book scenes I want to see brought to life. Especially when Geralt meets a certain mage and gets a bit “educated.”

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Decon posted:

Then I'm bad and dumb, but I'm just gonna go enjoy my Superman/Mormonism fanfic, and gay space necromancers because those didn't make me roll my eyes the way a video game does when I'm told for the umpteenth time that [main quest issue] is dire and urgent, and then encourages me to sidequest my rear end off anyway.

Like, this was a major theme in the books. Geralt was increasingly growing frantic over every second, minute, wasted. It was a recurring theme.

Panama Red posted:

Because the one from the show is 'generic chosen one badass', while the one from the book is 'girl who has an actual personality'

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Also you can laud the show for the Yennefer and Istredd story, but I would much rather have had Yennefer training Ciri at the Temple instead.

But, then they couldn't do the thing where they had Yennefer betray Ciri for base reasons and ruin the character

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Kaedric posted:

Like, this was a major theme in the books. Geralt was increasingly growing frantic over every second, minute, wasted. It was a recurring theme.

I mean, you can say that, but I just didn't feel it when I was reading. :shrug:

I read the books. I know the situation wasn't as simple as "run in a straight line towards Ciri till you find her" because she can magically teleport and had limited control over that power of hers, but I just still felt dissonance between the purported urgency of finding Ciri and the actual actions Geralt's crew took.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Calling Witcher boilerplate dark fantasy is kinda missing the forest for the trees. The fantasy elements of the setting are more akin to black comedy takes on fairy tales with an ironic postmodern twist on the morality lesson than they are a case of "everything sucks for everyone all the time" that you get with your less introspective "dark" fantasy stories. Geralt's amateur philosophy musings get called out constantly by his more level headed friends who get increasingly fed up with his nihilism and the bullshit facade that he doesn't care when he obviously does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Arc Hammer posted:

Calling Witcher boilerplate dark fantasy is kinda missing the forest for the trees. The fantasy elements of the setting are more akin to black comedy takes on fairy tales with an ironic postmodern twist on the morality lesson than they are a case of "everything sucks for everyone all the time" that you get with your less introspective "dark" fantasy stories. Geralt's amateur philosophy musings get called out constantly by his more level headed friends who get increasingly fed up with his nihilism and the bullshit facade that he doesn't care when he obviously does.

Yeah I gotta take the book's side on this one.

My gripe's with the length and a feeling of disconnection between word and action after a point. But I did enjoy the way that Geralt's friends stopped taking his affected aloofness seriously and started telling him to grow up.

Unfortunately, like many a male character that can fight good and has a gruff demeanor, this seems to have been missed by many fans; Geralt is at least as soppy as Aragorn, but pretends he isn't. We'll see how the show does with it, but, imo, I think it's done well with showing that Geralt's nihilism isn't sincere.