Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Plan R posted:

Such a jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zugzwang posted:

Twitter hired 2x as many people as they needed because they just plain wanted to provide high salaries to as many people as they could. But Elon knows that’s no way to run a business.

to be fair twitter has like 2000 developers or some poo poo, they could probably run a similar website with 10% or less of that
maybe they'd have to run fewer big projects for 0.05% improvements in ad targeting effectiveness

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My department lost a little less than 1/3rd of it's developers over the course of a few months a year ago and we're still hurting bad. Even if Twitter is bloated (it almost certainly is), a massive layoff is going to mean losing some load bearing devs, even if it's just because they left rather than being forced out.

I also imagine that advertisers aren't going to want to pay the same rates if they see Elon gutting the site to operate with a skeleton crew.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Elon Musk Thread: I never thought I'd see the day the richest man in the world is a shitposter

Elon isn't a shitposter, he's a poo poo poster.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

to be fair twitter has like 2000 developers or some poo poo, they could probably run a similar website with 10% or less of that
maybe they'd have to run fewer big projects for 0.05% improvements in ad targeting effectiveness

1900 of those devs have to be focused on projects that Westworld-esque 'exploit the enormous pile of data' projects, rather than running a website.

Either that or it's like every other white collar job on the planet where everyone just looks at their phone 7 hours a day.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's not called "doomscrolling at work" it's called "dogfooding" and it's a software engineering best practice!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"dogfooding"

I am extremely happy I have made a career out of tech-work-at-non-tech-places

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Sorry if either of these articles have already been linked. I haven't kept up with the thread as my interest in Musk waned after his penis stopped getting the pubic public attention it deserves.

"He dissolved its board. A Saudi prince owns a key share. What’s next for Musk’s new-look Twitter?"
https://www.theage.com.au/technology/elon-musk-owns-twitter-now-what-20221031-p5buc5.html

And linked from that article:

"Musk tweets link to an unfounded conspiracy theory on Pelosi attack"
https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/musk-tweets-link-to-an-unfounded-conspiracy-theory-on-pelosi-attack-20221031-p5bu8c.html

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
So if some one tries to start a union today and gets fired on Friday is that a lawsuit?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Plan R posted:

Such a jackass.

I wish people would bombard him with this.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

"The left" or whoever should flood twitter with Elon satanism conspiracies and misinformation about his ritualistic cabal.

Get in on that Free Speech

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Its crappy and I don't care because it reminded of good south park

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Instead of buying Twitter, Musk could have given 50$ to every American citizen and actually have gotten the praise he desires. It would have been cheaper, too!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

I like the flow of memes just dunking on Elon

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
That latte for $8 tweet has *1.3 million likes*. What the gently caress.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Roblo posted:

Well according to Elon's numbers, 80%of them are bots.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Roblo posted:

I have no idea how you would truly measure such a thing, but he's gotta have the highest engagement of any social media presence right now, right? Like, across the whole internet? From the lovers to the haters to the journalists to the people who just want to know what's happening with the site.

And he can't even make a decent post.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Roblo posted:

Cause it accurately describes the people complaining about Twitter having an actual good monetization policy. One that will milk the terminally online that can't go a second without tweeing about a topic theyre cluless about.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeesh

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Zil posted:

Well according to Elon's numbers, 80%of them are bots.

This might be accurate for Elon’s posts because so many replies are Cryptoscams. The scammers know a good audience of marks when they see them.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Roblo posted:

consider that even if every single 1.3 million of those people sign up for the $8/month thats still only 10.4 million per month.
at that rate it would take 4,150 months to make back the 44 billion purchase price. thats only 345 years!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Yaldabaoth posted:

He's going to end up like Howard Hughes.

how did that end?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Roblo posted:

Considering that he owns Twitter, I take any outward measures of support with a massive grain of salt.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

DrPossum posted:

how did that end?

Locking himself in a movie theatre naked while pissing in milk bottles for weeks.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

You'd think the richest man in the world could afford a razor.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588081971221053440

Just how Trump is a dumb person's idea of a rich man, Elon is a dumb person's idea of a smart man.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Just how Trump is a dumb person's idea of a rich man, Elon is a dumb person's idea of a smart man.

He's going to try to do something really weird like hype up the many advantages of twitter before dumping his shares through a blockchain share offering (that may not be legally binding).

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Entorwellian posted:

Locking himself in a movie theatre naked while pissing in milk bottles for weeks.

But replace the obsession with movies with an obsession with Twitter.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

IBroughttheFunk posted:

They're the bizarre flailing of a man who suddenly owes a shitton of money to a bunch of banks and a Saudi Prince.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

crime weed posted:

so i initially assumed this was just musk being a dumbass, but my Uncle Who Works At Twitter pointed out that maybe he's trying to get justification to cut Amir's severance lmaooo

(OKR reports are just means for middle managers to justify their existence, and everyone lies on them)

Even the tiniest no-HR places with the worst most narcissistic managers I've worked at have never had them just blast employee discipline stuff out on social media.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

IBroughttheFunk posted:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Considering that he owns Twitter, I take any outward measures of support with a massive grain of salt.
eh, i don't think it's anything like that.

he's just *the* tech mogul of the moment. he's tony start.

all of our media, popular imagination, thinktanks & marketing campaigns exist to uplift this type of guy in the public mind.

all the bots, all the normies, all the brainbroken chuds, crypto scammers, delusional sycophants, celebrity worhsippers, and attention cravers are drawn to him.

crowning him the idiot king is what society has been building to this whole time.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

crime weed posted:

eh, i don't think it's anything like that.

he's just *the* tech mogul of the moment. he's tony start.

all of our media, popular imagination, thinktanks & marketing campaigns exist to uplift this type of guy in the public mind.

all the bots, all the normies, all the brainbroken chuds, crypto scammers, delusional sycophants, celebrity worhsippers, and attention cravers are drawn to him.

crowning him the idiot king is what society has been building to this whole time.
Tony Stark could actually make a car though

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Elon’s going to make Twitter staff compete in physical challenges to keep their jobs

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i wish he'd tony stop

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

That DICK! posted:

i wish he'd tony stop

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

NotPerfect posted:

This reminds of the sentiment that many had about SA pertaining to Let's Players in the early 2010s. They bought a lot people to the forums but were antagonized by management and the LPers left taking a bunch of people with them. Now imagine that with actual famous people.

Speaking as someone who made an account for LP originally. Those were mainly Dangan Ronpa people from tumblr back when that one fan-translation LP that single-handedly caused them to bring the game to the west was here and the drama was they were mad that they couldn't do things like account-share or that they had to pay $10 for lifetime access. They weren't really intent on being part of the community and the forums were better off not having them as part of the community anyway. If you treat the most basic rules of a community as unbearable burdens it's a very good sign for how you'll treat all the other rules and expectations.

GBS 2.0 is a much better analogy because it was caused by Lowtax getting mad about perfect punctuation, informational monologue posting that was prevalent in GBS at the time, changing GBS so it was a FYAD-lite, 2 weeks of people openly posting slurs and extremely bigoted poo poo, and then when everything settled down it drove away enormous swathes of people in favor of people endlessly posting im gay and slam whale holy grail for 3 years until they got bored and left too.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

bobjr posted:

Elon’s going to make Twitter staff compete in physical challenges to keep their jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Tony Stark could actually make a car though
and thats why people believe teslas are good & the stock's market cap is 10x overvalued yeah