Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

all I wanted was a conversation between Nemik and Saw Gerrera

*scribbling* "power grows...from the barrel of a gun..." interesting, interesting, got anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I want a lightsaber but in the hands of a normie, just some lady that uses it to cut open locks and do property damage and occasionally cuts people up, no force at all ever brought up. Just uses a lightsaber cause she thinks its cool

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

I want a lightsaber but in the hands of a normie, just some lady that uses it to cut open locks and do property damage and occasionally cuts people up, no force at all ever brought up. Just uses a lightsaber cause she thinks its cool

I want the opposite: Jedis, but no lightsabers. All the telekinesis and other psychic powers, but technology has made them obsolete because if you just shoot them with a laser then they die, same as everyone else.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I want the opposite: Jedis, but no lightsabers. All the telekinesis and other psychic powers, but technology has made them obsolete because if you just shoot them with a laser then they die, same as everyone else.
basically Chirrut Îmwe/Donnie Yen in Rogue One

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

An Indiana Jones moment where the Jedi master does all these cool lightsaber moves and someone just shoots him in the head with a blaster

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the expanded universe had "slugthrowers" i.e. "actual guns" which were still dangerous to the space wizards because best case scenario they'd still get hit with high velocity molten metal

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they carry AKs in andor

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Justin Tyme posted:

This is John Boyega in TFA, minus the property damage. Just a dude who lucked into owning a lightsaber.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I don't want more starwars of anykind

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Antonymous posted:

I don't want more starwars of anykind

the real triangle of sadness was the sequel trilogy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I like empire. the first one is OK

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I just want a jedi that kills people with fire axes

no force powers, just have a jedi run up and bury an axe in some motherfucker's face

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why not just one war

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FFT posted:

the expanded universe had "slugthrowers" i.e. "actual guns" which were still dangerous to the space wizards because best case scenario they'd still get hit with high velocity molten metal

This would literally just be the part in The Matrix where Neo puts up his hands and the bullets freeze.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

In fiction theres all kinds of dumb reasons why only force people use lightsabers, like talking to the rocks inside them or some stupid poo poo. The only one that ever made sense to me was that you needed magic space powers to not fumble the massless, inertia-less sword that effortlessly cleaves flesh and accidently cut your own head off. I could see having a pocket saber that only comes out two or three inches though, that would be cool.

In general though, Star Wars either needs to fully embrace the wizard monk angle or ditch it entirely to be good. Everything in between those extremes sucks.

C-Euro posted:

This is John Boyega in TFA, minus the property damage. Just a dude who lucked into owning a lightsaber.

The sequels would have been so much better if it had been Boyega as just 'really good with a lightsaber' versus the Empire. It would have been a story about a child soldier redeeming themselves, taking vengeance on their oppressors, and not needing space magic to save the day. Ridley could have filled the Han Solo slot. Poe would be Chewbacca.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

galagazombie posted:

This would literally just be the part in The Matrix where Neo puts up his hands and the bullets freeze.

Kylo does that with a laser gun because the sequels needed to make sure you knew that space magic is the strongest thing there is and anyone not a space wizard might as well not exist

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
andor is really loving good so far and it has zero space wizard bullshit (so far)

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

They should have given Odysseus a gun instead of all that supposedly epic “no one else can draw the bow” poo poo.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

vader stopped a bullet with his hand but that's cause he's a robot

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why not just one war

no star war but class star war

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Antonymous posted:

vader stopped a bullet with his hand but that's cause he's a robot

and yet general grievous was a robot and obi-wan just blew him away

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

josh04 posted:

and yet general grievous was a robot and obi-wan just blew him away

It was a space wizard that blew him away, not a regular guy with a gun. Looking back I kinda admire the prequels for how much they leaned into the fantasy elements. Space wizard fights an evil robot octopus. Sure why not?

The prequels would have been a lot more fun if they'd ditched any ties to 'realism' at all and just gone gonzo with space wizardry and pushed the politics further into the background. King space wizard fights a muppet space wizard in the middle of the senate floor and actually throws senate seats at him in an unsubtle metaphor: fun; thirty minutes of expository laden scenes in the actual space senate: boring poo poo.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

please, more slop

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I am that dork who still thinks lightsabers are cool :shobon: I get why people might not like them and the Jedi as a concept could definitely be used in more interesting ways, but I still love the look and sound of lightsabers.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

again, not to change the subject from the star war, but I'm kind of surprised this isn't talked about more. I knew this show existed, but I didn't know it's blatantly an ad for his presidential campaign.

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1508889254201643016?s=20&t=qMfyDLbkYNJMEyPYzCoDgg

he's doing a zelensky, and just like zelensky, he's basically got no real policies except generic platitudes and toe the line neoliberalism.

edit: I just had a premonition. he frasier reboot season will be a dueling ad for kelsey grammer's own dumb presidential campaign, and they will attack each other through bad sitcoms.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 14:22 on Nov 3, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

I am that dork who still thinks lightsabers are cool :shobon: I get why people might not like them and the Jedi as a concept could definitely be used in more interesting ways, but I still love the look and sound of lightsabers.

Imagine if they'd let Donnie yen recreate his SPL alley fight with lightsabers in rogue one. But nope, can't have that

Edit it even has a move like when Rey does the amazing!!! Dropping a weapon from one hand to another!! Except wu jing throws it like a frisbee from one hand to the other. Just say that uh, he has a short lightsaber and yen just had one of those electro things that doesn't cut, or whatever mando has

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Nov 3, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

C-Euro posted:

lightsabers are one of the coolest things about Star Wars and there should be more of them without worrying about Jedi/Sith nonsense. the one animated short about the person hunting saber users was awesome, sword fights are cool, laser swords are cool, the force adds a whole other dimension to fight choreography, get some good combat actors and just go to town

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

seems like an easy out would be to go way back in the history to before jedi and have the proto-force users doing cool poo poo or whatever
no rules
just little nomadic outposts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going :ssj: remembering that yayan ruhian, iko uwais and Donnie yen have all been in star wars and the first two didn't even get to have a fight scene and yen was given awful action partners

What's the best fight scene in the TV shows? Is it where 70 year old Giancarlo gets told to go all out against the stunt guy who can't see out of the helmet?

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Nov 3, 2022

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

seems like an easy out would be to go way back in the history to before jedi and have the proto-force users doing cool poo poo or whatever
no rules
just little nomadic outposts

A long, long, long, long time ago......

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nichael posted:

again, not to change the subject from the star war, but I'm kind of surprised this isn't talked about more. I knew this show existed, but I didn't know it's blatantly an ad for his presidential campaign.

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1508889254201643016?s=20&t=qMfyDLbkYNJMEyPYzCoDgg

he's doing a zelensky, and just like zelensky, he's basically got no real policies except generic platitudes and toe the line neoliberalism.

edit: I just had a premonition. he frasier reboot season will be a dueling ad for kelsey grammer's own dumb presidential campaign, and they will attack each other through bad sitcoms.

The line between politics and pop culture is already paper-thin (at least in the US) so I guess we might as well completely obliterate it. Also the Rock would handily win a general election because he has a veneer of nice guy charisma, compared to something like Trump's douchebag charisma.

mastershakeman posted:

What's the best fight scene in the TV shows? Is it where 70 year old Giancarlo gets told to go all out against the stunt guy who can't see out of the helmet?

I remember liking Ashoka vs Spear Lady in that same season of Mando.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not sure it's necessarily setting up for a presidential run; The Rock just does a lot of blatant self-promotion stuff sometimes

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

I'm not sure it's necessarily setting up for a presidential run; The Rock just does a lot of blatant self-promotion stuff sometimes

The wrap around plot of an otherwise period sitcom is him running for POTUS in 2032, as characters around him praise him for his vision.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nichael posted:

The wrap around plot of an otherwise period sitcom is him running for POTUS in 2032, as characters around him praise him for his vision.

well then lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

"Wow! I guess the adversity you faced as a child really shaped your adulthood and makes you the perfect leader to unite a nation!" Hire me, Nahnatchka Khan.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Daniel Radcliffe is publicly breaking from JKR, right before a high-profile non-Potter movie he's doing is released

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1587552515284877312

The reactions are about what you'd expect (she owns his soul forever)

https://twitter.com/MOVIEGOER282828/status/1587552690598514690

https://twitter.com/starchanton/status/1587612905742163968

also this one is funny

https://twitter.com/OkBiology/status/1587881673429221376

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ9xUyqVKdU

This feels so unnecessary, but I've probably been saying that for the past 10 years.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the Rock is too physically big and muscular to run for president. he'd need to drop like 60-75lbs (and he'd still be a hulking brute compared to most humans)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why not just one war

Class War :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

the Rock is too physically big and muscular to run for president. he'd need to drop like 60-75lbs (and he'd still be a hulking brute compared to most humans)

nobody ever lost a race because they were too large

except fetterman i guess