Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Iron Crowned posted:

My dad just played a shitload of StarCraft and would get mad at the computer for "cheating"

He got on Battle.Net once and never used it again because he got Zerg Rushed hard

This was me.

I remember the only game I ever played on battle net.

I was like... dutifully massing together a Lil platoon of fire bats, marines, and medics, like I liked to do, when a loving MASS of battle cruisers emerged from the dark.

Lol.

gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the first online interaction I ever had was joining a red alert 2 lobby and people kept saying "lol" and I asked what it meant and they said "laugh out loud" and I didn't get it and thought they were laughing at me because I didn't know what "lol" meant and didn't figure out what "lol" meant until much later

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Icon Of Sin posted:

The computers always cheated, but they weren’t any good at it. I forget exactly how, it’s been forever since I even played the original (or the remastered version).

Speaking of Blizzard, are they still spiraling? Sounds like Overwatch 2 had some issues at launch this week, and they’re already pulling the servers offline twice tonight for some fixes.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/6/23391741/blizzard-overwatch-2-servers-offline-fixes-updates
Yes but they are going to be acquired by Microsoft soon in the merger that also involves their parent company Activision

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Icon Of Sin posted:

The computers always cheated, but they weren’t any good at it. I forget exactly how, it’s been forever since I even played the original (or the remastered version).

Speaking of Blizzard, are they still spiraling? Sounds like Overwatch 2 had some issues at launch this week, and they’re already pulling the servers offline twice tonight for some fixes.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/6/23391741/blizzard-overwatch-2-servers-offline-fixes-updates

https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1578390742027870209/photo/1

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What right does a potential customer have to not buy a product?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bobjr posted:

The big push I saw was for virtual meetings, when zoom and other similar service already exists, and offices are going back to in person anyway.

Plus it doesn’t seem like there’s much stopping rude teens coming in and making jerkoff motions disrupting everything

As someone who has worked remotely for more than a decade, I hated Zoom/Teams meetings vs. conference calls. I cannot express how glad I am that the metaverse nonsense hasn't gone anywhere, I don't want to be more engaged in time sinks like that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hawowanlawow posted:

the first online interaction I ever had was joining a red alert 2 lobby and people kept saying "lol" and I asked what it meant and they said "laugh out loud" and I didn't get it and thought they were laughing at me because I didn't know what "lol" meant and didn't figure out what "lol" meant until much later

Hell yes RA2, The first good multiplayer RTS I played online that wasn't just massing the same unit over and ove- oh right just remembered everyone would just build loving mirage tanks and hope the other guy couldn't apm high enough to shoot back at them.

:negative:

If I could actually engage in the early game before that became a problem, though, it was some real poo poo. Being able to stage orders and execute at once was phenomenal, especially for terror drones etc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, speaking of RTS: Not-company uncircling from the drain

Look at the post date.

Look at the view count.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Antigravitas posted:

Well, speaking of RTS: Not-company uncircling from the drain

Look at the post date.

Look at the view count.

TA's various successors have had people playing for quite some time, unclear what this means?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FA has been somehow gaining in the last ~2-3 years with a bunch of development activity. I'm just happy to see it, considering how the company that made it was thoroughly flushed down the drain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I still play TA for a few hours every other year or so. I was never good at it from a pvp perspective (at least against anyone who is experienced enough to counter a flash rush ) but I have a good time with the campaign or just fighting the computer on a giant map. The spiritual successors/spring have all failed to click with me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

lol

I learned what alt-f4 did because someone in battle.net told me I could use it to activate cheats in Diablo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

lol

I learned what alt-f4 did because someone in battle.net told me I could use it to activate cheats in Diablo.

I've known about this trick for so long that it honestly feels like a lifetime ago, because it was. Couldn't even begin to consider when I first learned.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Shooting Blanks posted:

As someone who has worked remotely for more than a decade, I hated Zoom/Teams meetings vs. conference calls. I cannot express how glad I am that the metaverse nonsense hasn't gone anywhere, I don't want to be more engaged in time sinks like that.

Lol Microsoft are just gonna scan you into a virtual meeting through the magic of holoportation. No one escapes teams.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

lol

I learned it in StarCraft, where someone said “it helps your lag!” in a lobby, and then I was mad the game closed :laffo:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

If any of you guys want I can dupe your stuff NOT A SCAM!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Professor Shark posted:

If any of you guys want I can dupe your stuff NOT A SCAM!

Yeah, I fell for that one, :rip: to The Tower

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ll take two Rings of Jordan, my new good friend

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1473332385005674499

https://twitter.com/Geoff_Weiss/status/1579523959594582016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Didn't they make it harder for smaller people to use that service now? I remember there was a change earlier this year that I think led to them being in this position.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RIP

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1580229556245364739?s=46&t=OMCa3i-yU27CJbafAz_1Vw

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That blows.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't they make it harder for smaller people to use that service now? I remember there was a change earlier this year that I think led to them being in this position.

From what I understand they basically are trying to get rid of dollar pledges.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Rick posted:

That blows.

From what I understand they basically are trying to get rid of dollar pledges.

Imagine having a business model that is skimming a single digit percentage off the guitar cases of all the buskers in the world and still losing money.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

xarph posted:

Imagine having a business model that is skimming a single digit percentage off the guitar cases of all the buskers in the world and still losing money.

From what i understand its less that its losing money and more that venture funds giving them money are mad that its not making infinite money yesterday, which leads to attempts to squeeze users, causing people to leave, reducing income and increasing the desire to try and squeeze more out of the rest. Capitalism!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Meta's earnings report came out today and it was a disaster. The company has dumped $9 billion into the metaverse/VR poo poo alone which is insane.

This article goes into more details about the specifics of how badly the company has been skidding in the last year-

https://twitter.com/derektmead/status/1585414654830206977?s=20&t=rxO5rEA8dYlYcbI-iKfAfg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s amazing how much money has been wasted for so little progress on something nobody wants

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

It’s amazing how much money has been wasted for so little progress on something nobody wants
I don't see why they can't plagiarize from VRChat then lawsuit them into oblivion when they try to fight back. Or are VRC's investors too rich for that to work?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Maxwell Lord posted:

But enough about goon penises.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Maxwell Lord posted:

Right? It's like trying and failing to poo poo your pants.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Croccers posted:

I don't see why they can't plagiarize from VRChat then lawsuit them into oblivion when they try to fight back. Or are VRC's investors too rich for that to work?

Becuase they’re too busy making Second Life with the serial numbers filed off to make VRChat with the serial numbers filed off.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

Becuase they’re too busy making Second Life with the serial numbers filed off to make VRChat with the serial numbers filed off.
They're not even close to the features that Second Life had. Even Second Life had legs!

This is what's getting me about how piss-poor it is. Sunk BILLIONS into it and it's still.... nothing. Hire some furries, pay them with a fursuit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You would think these morons would learn that no one really liked the Xbox semi realistic avatars the 360 did and the more expressive and cartoony Wii/3DS Mii's were more popular because they could be funny and didn't look like weird homunculi.

But I'm not a techzillionaire so who knows.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The awful techbros are claiming this is the reason meta is down https://twitter.com/gurgavin/status/1585257698463207425?t=kCrD3P6r6RIGTChvtA7HPw&s=19

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Twitter is gonna spiral here shortly. Who wants to pay $20/mo for the privilege of posting with a blue check mark? Oh by the way, employees need to have it ready by next week otherwise they’re getting fired.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/30/23431931/twitter-paid-verification-elon-musk-blue-monthly-subscription

e:

quote:

Musk is keen on growing subscriptions to become half of the company’s overall revenue.

lol

Icon Of Sin has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Nov 3, 2022

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Behind the times, it's 8$ a month now and they are firing half the workforce by Friday. Oh and violating the warn act and various California laws in doing so

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm gonna fire half the staff on Friday and then demand everyone else work through the weekend so we can launch a completely undefined product to our 300 million users on Monday. Nobody else would do this because they're not as smart as me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1588115310124539904

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

greazeball posted:

I'm gonna fire half the staff on Friday and then demand everyone else work through the weekend so we can launch a completely undefined product to our 300 million users on Monday. Nobody else would do this because they're not as smart as me.

The undefined product is a feature for people to have to pay to look at user - specified pics and videos which, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I've been on the fence aboutTwitter.

on the one hand people will lol and say, "who gives a poo poo" and that it won't matter..

On the other hand, I deffo don't agree with what's happening.

But.

After consideration, I'm gonna delete/close my twitter.