Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Rationale posted:

Gonna make goatse donuts next time I fry
Voting thread a 5 in anticipation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

If you make a goatse donut you can have all my 5s!!! Take them goon sir

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Well what sort of donuts then

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I got the tude now posted:

Square has tablets now, it doesn’t scale well but it’s probably your best option at first

A nearby coffee place uses Gravity Payments, and that company’s CEO was in the news recently for having to resign after bizarre behavior. So maybe that means their systems are discounted?

moana posted:

My kid says you should call the shop "Donut Touch" and my husband says you should call it "Go Nuts Donuts" which sounds great out loud and we are all cheering for you.

Call it “What the Pho?,” maybe confused Vietnamese soup seekers will buy donuts.

Rationale posted:

My dude puts circuit boards on his siloscope and solders randomly til them shits are good again.

It rubs the circuit boards on its siloscope or else it gets the hose again.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Rationale posted:

No 5s for you

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Name your shop Meme-nuts and have each pastry themed around some dumb internet meme.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Weatherman posted:

It's sad (for comedy) that when OP runs his business into the ground he's going to either abandon his forums account completely or just ignore this thread and all calls for him to return to the thread

either that or lie about it

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I met with a pro and he said probably 200k which blows but he said we can get all our permits and drawings from him for 3500-5000 and then contract or do the work ourselves.

Going to have to insulate all five sides and it’s a big building. I guess in the old days you could just go down to the river and skim a little coal

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Find another location. Even an ex Uhaul with a brick fire oven in the back.

Alternatively if you must. Raze it.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

cursedshitbox posted:

Find another location. Even an ex Uhaul with a brick fire oven in the back.

Alternatively if you must. Raze it.

but then the c o n t e n t would end. Go on, get a loan, you can do it! I'm sure it's salvagable!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

beep-beep car is go posted:

but then the c o n t e n t would end. Go on, get a loan, you can do it! I'm sure it's salvagable!

Plus he said it's a big building, he could sell his house and move into it. Think of the savings!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, time to sell off the property and invest in a hotdog cart I guess.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

EasilyConfused posted:

Plus he said it's a big building, he could sell his house and move into it. Think of the savings!

If the building is big enough he might have enough room for Eclairs and Longjohns!
even after he fills it with debt

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 4, 2022

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah I’m not going into debt and I’m not going to quit and I’m not even going to sell anything except excess auction loot.

For now I think I’ll pay the designer get the stamp have my guy run some temp power and get to work. I’m gonna see about shooting foam into the block cavities rather than shrinking the building by 7-1/4”. If it’s not any cheaper or even legal then I can do a bunch of the carpentry myself.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

:munch: you got this. Don’t let the man get you down. I’m sure that quote was padding quite a few pockets. I bet you can get the building fixed for 10 or less.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Structural expanding foam can't melt goon dreams

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rationale posted:

Chocolate filled obviously

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Structural expanding foam can't melt goon dreams

but will it fry?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Maybe the cart idea isn't half bad, could you do enough to get a working kitchen in your building and then just sell donuts from the cart? Maybe you could post up in the parking lot of this high school where teens are just ravenous for donuts.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah it might make sense to open up a donut kitchen first but I’m going on 4x10 through winter so we’ll see what all we can do to it with an extra day.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

That sounds like loser talk! You can get this building rehabbed on the cheap if you just roll up your sleeves and give it your all! I’m sure it’s not that hard. You’ll be up and raking in those donut dollars in no time!

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Thank you I don’t know what got into me

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I can't wait all winter for these delicious donuts, man

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rationale posted:

Thank you I don’t know what got into me

Low blood sugar from lack of donuts.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
You should try meth

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
You should try that thing you’re scared to try

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I got the tude now posted:

You should try math

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I have a vision for this working out. Assuming you can figure out how to make good donuts, which seems possible given that you are a plumber and are not an idiot, just follow the model that works for all the Chinese-run mom and pop donut shops.

1. Spend nothing to make the space nice, just pass whatever you need for permits.

2. Sell cigs and lotto tickets.

3. Drop the espresso dream to start

4. Build a personal relationship with each of your clients

5. Do everything yourself for the first 6 months

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I have a vision for this working out. Assuming you can figure out how to make good donuts, which seems possible given that you are a plumber and are not an idiot, just follow the model that works for all the Chinese-run mom and pop donut shops.

1. Spend nothing to make the space nice, just pass whatever you need for permits.

2. Sell cigs and lotto tickets.

3. Drop the espresso dream to start

4. Build a personal relationship with each of your clients

5. Do everything yourself for the first 6 months

Is this a bit? Half of the advice is truly awful (1 and 2) and the other half may or may not be good (3) or is actually good (4 and 5).

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Genuine advice from what I have seen work for a handful of places. Having at least a benched table by a window (does this building have windows?) is a good move to keep a handful of geriatric regulars happy. Cigs and lotto tickets are free money, and only come at the cost of bad vibes, which I think this place will already be serving aplenty.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Is this a bit" asks the goon in a well white knight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Hi.

Having had one of the longest running basket case building repair threads in the forums for the past 11 years and counting, I am here to give you advice.

Do not.

Raze that building to the ground and either sell it immediately (STRONGLY recommend this) or build fresh on your fresh bare lot.

Do not loving waste your time on that decrepit blight-shack of a building.

I recommend taking the advise given on your business plan as well but I don't think you're going to listen to me either so... Have fun I guess.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
We need photos of the building. Inside and out.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Should we sell some rentals or just open later

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

"Is this a bit" asks the goon in a well white knight.

better name call posters that disagree with me, that'll show em! tell everyone that doesn't do it the way it ~should~ be done, or gets started before they really know how that theyre doomed. thatll make me feel better

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Genuine advice from what I have seen work for a handful of places. Having at least a benched table by a window (does this building have windows?) is a good move to keep a handful of geriatric regulars happy. Cigs and lotto tickets are free money, and only come at the cost of bad vibes, which I think this place will already be serving aplenty.

"greasy spoon" and/or "bad vibes but cheap" restaurants have been on the outs for at least a decade. Seems like consumer trends and tastes are crystal clear here, and the cost and profit difference is minimal at inception.

kastein posted:

Having had one of the longest running basket case building repair threads in the forums for the past 11 years and counting, I am here to give you advice.

God drat when kastein says don't do it tho...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

better name call posters that disagree with me

"Name call", this isn't elementary school. I'm telling you that your posts in this thread have just confirmed that you're as dumb as a bag of hammers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

"Name call", this isn't elementary school. I'm telling you that your posts in this thread have just confirmed that you're as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Apparently it is because you keep name calling. Teachers gonna put us on timeout.

Businesses fail when people give up on them or they run out of money. If someone sets a goal, is making progress toward their goal betting against them or tearing them down is just petty naysaying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Apparently it is because you keep name calling. Teachers gonna put us on timeout.

Businesses fail when people give up on them or they run out of money. If someone sets a goal, is making progress toward their goal betting against them or tearing them down is just petty naysaying.

There has been zero progress made in this thread. Just hoarding, wasting money and generally doing the 5% "fun parts" of opening a business without any care or attention to the 95% grind parts that are required to have even a small change at being successful. You have duly demonstrated you don't know anything about this, so yeah....of course you think he's doing great.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Motronic posted:

Lol, I like your style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

There has been zero progress made in this thread. Just hoarding, wasting money and generally doing the 5% "fun parts" of opening a business without any care or attention to the 95% grind parts that are required to have even a small change at being successful. You have duly demonstrated you don't know anything about this, so yeah....of course you think he's doing great.

Who hurt you? It wasn't me friend, we've never met.

As I've said, I also don't think he's doing "great". Great would be a launched business with returning customers. I agree he's doing the fun parts of starting a biz without the hard work. That's what happens a couple months in, IME. I interpret those facts differently than you do. For reasons my hammer brain cant grasp, you find that upsetting and are name calling because of it. You do you. Theres often a romance period before a marriage. Maybe they make that transition from enamored lust to love, maybe they don't.

I do know a little about starting a small business. Currently 3 yrs in 10 employees, steady MoM revenue growth, profitable. How are your business(es)? Is anyone's health insurance for their newborn dependent on Motronic's business? Did you have customers for that business within 3 months of deciding you want to take steps toward starting it?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 4, 2022