Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Magnetic North posted:

I just played RFTG this weekend on BGA. I do like it, but it is tough to get back to after a while away. I accept that RFTG is the better game, but I like San Juan a whole lot more.

I find that I prefer RFTG at two players, where you get to use the rules about each picking two phase cards, but that at other player counts I enjoy San Juan a lot more. Playing race when you only get to pick one phase feels slow and plodding when you're used to the two phase rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Viper915 posted:

I find that I prefer RFTG at two players, where you get to use the rules about each picking two phase cards, but that at other player counts I enjoy San Juan a lot more. Playing race when you only get to pick one phase feels slow and plodding when you're used to the two phase rules.

I think that this is mostly a problem with the 3 player game, 4 or 5 players picks up the pace a bit more due to more different actions being selected, although it does also get more difficult to predict what action choices other players will make.

I do agree that 2P is where it's best though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I kinda stopped playing RFTG once I got a chance to play Eminent Domain. The games are fundamentally different in terms of core design but generally I prefer the lead/follow method, and the deckbuilding aspects of Eminent Domain are more interesting to me than tableau building.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

When I went to Spain a few years ago, there was this nice board game shop that had all these neat euro versions of games. The good T&E with wooden bits cheap for $20, super meeple Tikal before the reprint, all sorts of stuff I couldn’t bring back due to space constraints.

I bought the non anime version of that one board game based on Higurashi. They didn’t have the vaporwave Spanish version of RFTG. Said it was in between print runs :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

djfooboo posted:

What if Wingspan was in outer space and we called it “Race for the Galaxy” and it was a stone cold 10/10?

I’ve been looking for a good new animeeples game so yes please

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

vaporwave Spanish version of RFTG

Sorry, what???

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

RabidWeasel posted:

Sorry, what???

https://misutmeeple.com/2014/10/resena-race-for-galaxy/

This is awesome, and since I've already learned to decipher Race's hieroglyphs, it doesn't matter that I can't read Spanish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RabidWeasel posted:

Sorry, what???

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

The dislike for many popular games around these parts are equal portions "it being honestly overhyped" and "I'm too-cool-for-school" snobbery.

Boardgaming is a social activity, so while you might just choose not to play a mediocre over-hyped video game, if your board game group is obsessed with a 6/10 game then you're compelled to play it more times than you would like (or maybe give up on board games until it blows over). I don't think it's totally fair to call it snobbery.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yall best believe I'm still holding out for the French version of No Thanks at a reasonable price

Little cat print cards :3:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mr. Squishy posted:

Race still gets talked about a bunch, at least in the discord. Though mostly the discussion is along the lines of "I'd rather play Race" because it's been talked to death.
Honestly, I think it's got a fairly significant problem in getting new players involved. The main gameplay is "here are 5 unique cards, play the one that works by discarding the ones that don't". You have to read a bunch of info-rich cards, a lot of that information in unknown symbols. Then you must fully commit to a plan trusting you totally understood all the systems down the line . With the draw cards action, you have to do all this before everyone else can proceed to the next phase. And as it's a very old game, you're probably going to be sitting across the table from someone who's played the game, knows all the cards, and is making small talk about how it's a quick game really.

I mostly play Roll these days but it has similar issues with what you're describing insofar as when I started playing with people who know it and Race you saw guys spending most of the game fishing for the exact tiles/cards they wanted and to be honest it kinda bums me out because it's dull and very, very inside-baseball. I'm not very good at either game so maybe I'm way off with this assessment though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Chill la Chill posted:

I bought the non anime version of that one board game based on Higurashi.

Wait is this just a non anime version of Tragedy Looper or what? What ever happened to that When They Cry board game that was announced last year?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Viper915 posted:

You know what, that might be it. I don't think I've ever played RFTG (or Roll for that matter) two player. I have played San Juan a few times two player and it's alright. When you only have one person to select against and one tableau to monitor, that seems so much more reasonable.

It still involves drawing off the top of one huge shared deck, which is something that people complain about with thread punchingbag Terraforming Mars as well as Wingspan, but also Ark Nova which I believe some goons liked.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It gives you plenty of tools to dig deep and fast though, unlike those other big shared deck games. Later expansions give you a one time power to search the deck for exactly what you want as well, which really lets you execute strategies more reliably.

And 2p is probably the absolute best RftG, because of the two cards per turn selection. .

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hope all you card nerds have checked out Marvel Snap on your phones/Steam.

It's really good.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I would back the heck out of a Race 2nd. I don't know that the game needs any updating, but I love me some games built around giant decks of cards.

Infinitum posted:

It's really good.
Sir, this is a board games thread.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

It's really good.

Pokémon snap but marvel

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Sir, this is a board games thread.

What is a phone but a board on which you can play games?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

good thing I didn’t back Slay the Spire then, I hate rebuying games on different platforms

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

I would back the heck out of a Race 2nd. I don't know that the game needs any updating, but I love me some games built around giant decks of cards.

I would instantly back this if it had a rebalanced core deck (or just pick-and-chose from the existing card pool) and looked like this:

I am seriously impressed and surprised how much better the cards look in spite of using the same artwork. The generally drab tone of the original is definitely its weakest point outside of the "yes you need to learn what all of these icons mean" learning curve.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Isn't Snap just Smash Up but you have to pay for cards

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pokémon snap but marvel

A Marvels-inspired game where you're a photographer on the ground snapping pics of superheroics would actually kick rear end.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SkeletonHero posted:

A Marvels-inspired game where you're a photographer on the ground snapping pics of superheroics would actually kick rear end.

Wasn't The Pulse comic series similar? Seems like a layup.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Countblanc posted:

Isn't Snap just Smash Up but you have to pay for cards

That's why I called the Snap thread basically that.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I tried Marvel Snap and it just felt like Smash Up to me.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Infinitum posted:

It's really good.

Is it actually? It got advertised at me so obnoxiously I went out of my way avoid it, but I have also been Googling 'Good mobile games' a bunch recently. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've been getting a lot out of my purchases of Android games Railroad Ink and Onirim.

Pay for cards? No but thanks anyway.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Slice and Dice is a good goon-made mobile game that uses dice, and therefore can go in this thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

medchem posted:

I tried Marvel Snap and it just felt like Smash Up to me.

It is, but it turns out that six rounds and 3-4 minutes is within Smash Up's fun activity window.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rockman Reserve posted:

Wait is this just a non anime version of Tragedy Looper or what? What ever happened to that When They Cry board game that was announced last year?

Yeah it’s the non anime tragedy looper. I have it on the shelf next to anime tragedy looper

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best part of Marvel Snap is the developer having to go “NO, it’s not Smash Up, it’s different!!!” constantly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Got some games in the mail recently.

Santa Claus & Krampus Dice Throne expansion - it's more battle yahtzee
Flamecraft - Worker placement game about telling tiny dragons to work at various shops and you try to reap profit and reputation from shops so you're just a bunch of Toms from Office Space trying to prove who is the best at their job.
Curiosity - Cooperative deckbuilder with a campaign mode that has you unlocking new content and classes. Similar vibes to other coop deckbuilders that are centered around beating up big monsters trying to wreck you, like Aeon's End.

Also got some more dice in. Black Oak Workshop's been having a rough time due to pandemic shipping destroying a decent part of their customer base but they were finally able to get their series 2 Kitty Clacks dice out. I am satisfied with them and I look forward to getting the remaining 2 advent calendars from them before the year's end. :D

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 4, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Speaking of Aeon's End, has anyone kept up with the new not-Aeon's End coop deckbuilder by the same designers? I have so much Aeon's End still to play that I didn't look too hard at it, but I am still curious if it's any good.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

armorer posted:

Speaking of Aeon's End, has anyone kept up with the new not-Aeon's End coop deckbuilder by the same designers? I have so much Aeon's End still to play that I didn't look too hard at it, but I am still curious if it's any good.

I haven't heard of this at all, what's it called?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

S.J. posted:

I haven't heard of this at all, what's it called?

Actually looks like it hasn't released yet - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/352179/astro-knights

This was the kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibcgames/astro-knights

armorer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 4, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Thanks! I love Aeon's End and I had no idea this was coming out.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

Got some games in the mail recently.

Flamecraft - Worker placement game about telling tiny dragons to work at various shops and you try to reap profit and reputation from shops so you're just a bunch of Toms from Office Space trying to prove who is the best at their job.

My group of 4 has had a good time with Flamecraft. It is extremely cute and pretty, and the deluxe Kickstarter treatment includes a lot of nice, tactile stuff. The core goals are generally to gain resources to turn in for points, or get and fulfill secret-goal cards for points. Everything you do makes future turns more efficient and valuable, so it has a pleasing ramp up.

The only negative we've had is that some combinations of dragon shops disincentivize advancing the game clock and make everything take much longer. We had more luck after adding strict timers on the mid-game turns.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The absolute worst thing about flamecraft is that I got this

which is fine but came bundled with this cursed thing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i'm so upset i recognized tom vasel before i recognized the pun about the dice tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I hate that Tom Vasel is there, but I would play Shroomhaven