Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zet posted:

They're going for more DRM with online games again: https://www.gog.com/news/gog_2022_update_5_about_the_games_we_can_play_with_others

https://github.com/michelpereira/awesome-open-source-games is a list of open source games. Can't guarantee quality, but they are free.

Thanks, this should do nicely. And thanks everyone else, but a lot of the suggestions are still a bit much for this patient. I'll gladly get myself back to more GoG games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm going to suggest Dorfromantik

https://www.gog.com/en/game/dorfromantik

It's a super chill game, it's hex-based and you just lay down terrain tiles and you can try to minmax and do everything optimally, but you don't have to. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can't expand any more and the game ends. You get a high score and can start over. It even has a Creative mode where you get unlimited tiles and can just go ham.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 2, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

evilmiera posted:

Thanks, this should do nicely. And thanks everyone else, but a lot of the suggestions are still a bit much for this patient. I'll gladly get myself back to more GoG games though.

This is probably beyond scope, difficulty, and interests of your patient but I wonder how well modern IF comp games (which are supposed to be less punishingly difficulty than the old school kinds) would work with voice recognition.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ilitarist posted:

I'd recommend a completely free game Battle for Wesnoth. You can comfortably control it with just a mouse or trackball. It is turn-based and you don't have more than a dozen units at a time, so you can take as much time as you want. FreeCiv is similar: if you don't raise the difficulty it's just a turn-based game about placing cities and researching stuff.

I understand you've asked about something without complex thinking and I'm giving you strategy games, but other games you can get by with by using just mouse are twitch-based and turn-based nature of these games might make them much easier to digest.

HBS’s BattleTech from a few years ago is another turn-based game that I’m pretty sure you can manage every little bit with a mouse. I don’t play that way because I have the hotkeys in memory, but I know you can move the camera around and perform all actions with any speed you wish..even if you leave in the middle of a turn for a meal and come back an hour later the game doesn’t advance at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Gog has several free point and click adventure games, I can personally recommend Beneath a Steel Sky. If signing up for an account is too much, it wouldn't be hard for you to do it and just download the installers to a USB stick and I don't think it really counts as piracy to do that with something that's been free on their site for over a decade.

There are detailed walkthroughs or this hint website http://mobile.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/steelsky if they get stuck on something

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Flight of Amazon Queen is also alright even if the end area is way too large.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Q_res posted:

I'm going to suggest Dorfromantik

https://www.gog.com/en/game/dorfromantik

It's a super chill game, it's hex-based and you just lay down terrain tiles and you can try to minmax and do everything optimally, but you don't have to. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can't expand any more and the game ends. You get a high score and can start over. It even has a Creative mode where you get unlimited tiles and can just go ham.
Is this literally just Carcassonne?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

a lot of the suggestions are still a bit much for this patient.

I'll just say it in case there's some chance you haven't thought of it, but Klondike solitaire is a classic. For a good free web-based one, I like FRVR. And if Klondike (Patience elsewhere) isn't that person's cup of tea, there are a ton of old and new solitaire variants. It's been a while but I'll admit I got really into Faerie Solitaire once upon a time.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

evilmiera posted:

What about a more "idle" game? Something light and browser based like Progress Knight, Trimps, NGU Idle, stuff like that?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Commander Keene posted:

Is this literally just Carcassonne?

No. It's a tile-laying game about building countryside, but it doesn't have the worker system and uses a completely different ruleset for how you score points.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 3, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Townscaper has a free limited version you can play in your browser found here:

https://oskarstalberg.com/Townscaper/

It's mouse-only. Even the full game has very little gameplay and is more of a toy, and limiting it even further for the free version is extremely limited, but it's also pretty relaxing and you can just treat it like an art toy and enjoy it for quite some time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Filament and Rising Storm 2: Vietnam are up on EGS

Alba - A Wildlife Adventure and Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun next

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/

Vermintide 2 free until 7/11, apparently.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I have hundreds of hours in VT2 and heartily endorse it. S-tier melee combat, sad there aren't more games that feel like VT2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Well there'll be exactly one more at the end of this month...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

big cummers ONLY posted:

I have hundreds of hours in VT2 and heartily endorse it. S-tier melee combat, sad there aren't more games that feel like VT2.

Really feels like you need at least 3 people to play it, sadly, because of the genre's insistence on grabber monsters.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Really feels like you need at least 3 people to play it, sadly, because of the genre's insistence on grabber monsters.

The bots aren't great but they do a decent enough job as do pubbies in random matchmaking.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tagichatn posted:

The bots aren't great but they do a decent enough job as do pubbies in random matchmaking.

I don't remember it having bots at all, weird.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The bots are okay but there is also a mod you can download thru steam workshop to make them even smarter (while still being fallible). You can do 4 of the 5 difficulties with bots, pretty easily

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I have codes for Slain - Back to Hell and Family Man(A game I enjoyed and finished earlier this year)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'd like to give Family Man a go.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

fit em all up in there posted:

I have codes for Slain - Back to Hell and Family Man(A game I enjoyed and finished earlier this year)

I'd love Slain!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Send me a PM, and I'll gift you codes for Monster Slayers Complete Edition and some DLC.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Nerdook made some drat good flash games back in the day. Cool to see they're still making games

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Dagon: by H. P. Lovecraft free on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1481400/Dagon_by_H_P_Lovecraft/

Seems to be a visual novel / interactive experience sort of thing. Supports VR. Has overwhelming/very positive reviews.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
This week's Epic freebies are up: Alba - A Wildlife Adventure and Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (a repeat).

Next week is Dark Deity and Evil Dead: The Game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Evil Dead is gonna be free already? lol

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I had a bunch of youtube evil dead videos recommended to me at launch (I sometimes watch highlights of a couple dead by Daylight players) but they disappeared after a couple weeks. I'm excited to play it when it goes free, since I'm sure there will be a surge of other new people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

site posted:

Evil Dead is gonna be free already? lol

I thought it got slightly above average reviews? But it's just kind of yet another 1v4 multiplayer game

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
4-player coop too, by the looks. My group tends to be 6 players, and it's frustrating how few games support more than 4. It's not like everyone is playing these things local with split-screen.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Witcher Enhanced Edition free on GOG

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Is it? Showing as 9.99 to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Looks like the giveaway ended?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

Seems so: https://www.gog.com/news/the_witcher_15th_anniversary_claim_the_game_for_free_and_prepare_for_its_remake

Well it's not the first, nor probably, will it be the last time it was given away for free.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I assume it was part of their Made In Poland sale, which doesn't seem to feature discounts for Witcher 1 or 2.

I got Witcher 1 and 3 in previous giveaways so even though 2 is frequently on sale for $3 I'm holding out for it to be free to complete the set. It's my white whale!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

direct claim unknown game link posted:

{"message":"Giveaway has ended"}

I guess it doesn't really tell you if it worked but it's pretty clear when it didn't!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

2house2fly posted:

I assume it was part of their Made In Poland sale, which doesn't seem to feature discounts for Witcher 1 or 2.

I got Witcher 1 and 3 in previous giveaways so even though 2 is frequently on sale for $3 I'm holding out for it to be free to complete the set. It's my white whale!

Yeah I got all three in 2018 in a gog giveaway, followed by all three Shadowrun games a month later.

Good times…🙄

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JammyB posted:

Next week is Dark Deity
There's an ongoing LP of the game right now and it's... pretty bad.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Alba: a Wildlife Adventure is very cute and chill and good. Taking pictures of animals and picking up garbage and saving the nature preserve from the evil hotel developer. Reminds me of A Short Hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
lol, that pristine wildlife has a lot more to fear from a sprawling SFH residential developer