Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

repiv posted:

Is it an iPhone 12 or newer? If so you want something designed for their magsafe system

Ohhh yeah good point. She did just go from an 11 to 13. Good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
You don't really need a magsafe charger, regular qi charging will work fine. Magsafe is nice because you'll know it's lined up on the correct spot. If you do get a magsafe charger make sure she has a magsafe compatible case or it won't work great.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I think iPhones will only wireless charge at their highest speed with a magsafe charger

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

magsafe wireless charging seemed "better" compared to the samsung (fast) wireless charger that i tried with my Fold 4

the latter got pretty warm and was much slower than wired charging so a bit of a disappointment

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I am pretty sure cross posting SA mart threads is frowned upon but maybe since the item is pretty much free now, it will be ok.

I have a Devilcase for the Sony Xperia 1 IV available if anybody needs it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013641

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

iPhones do 7.5w max on normal Qi charger (if it the charger supports it) and 10w with Magsafe.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

iPhones do 7.5w max on normal Qi charger (if it the charger supports it) and 10w with Magsafe.

Can a Pixel 7 get 10w out of a magsafe charger?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I bought one of these Lenovo smart clocks with the charging base for my mom.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6481518

She basically just uses it as a bedside time keeper and some place to set her phone at night. And it has a USB port on the back that she plugged her apple watch charger into. The charging dock is only 10 watts Qi certified, but as a place to put a phone over night, it's fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Can a Pixel 7 get 10w out of a magsafe charger?

I don't think so, probably 5w.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

How are the latest Sony phones? The prospect of being able to integrate with my Sony alpha cameras seem enticing, but I don't know anybody who actually owns a Sony phone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

KinkyJohn posted:

How are the latest Sony phones? The prospect of being able to integrate with my Sony alpha cameras seem enticing, but I don't know anybody who actually owns a Sony phone.

I have a 5ii. great hardware and user experience day to day, but the update policy sucks and the camera is not good as a point and shoot

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The latest ones overheat at the drop of a hat.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So Google Chat still doesn't let you attach more than one photo/video to a message at a time. This is supposedly an exciting new feature coming soon. The same limitation exists through gmail on a browser. I tried to use Hangouts instead but I guess the shutdown is complete because I can't get past the 'Upgrade to Chat!!' screen anymore. I also don't see a button to attach a photo from Google Photos in browser gmail, just a generic upload file button. The gently caress, Google?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

eXXon posted:

So Google Chat still doesn't let you attach more than one photo/video to a message at a time. This is supposedly an exciting new feature coming soon. The same limitation exists through gmail on a browser. I tried to use Hangouts instead but I guess the shutdown is complete because I can't get past the 'Upgrade to Chat!!' screen anymore. I also don't see a button to attach a photo from Google Photos in browser gmail, just a generic upload file button. The gently caress, Google?

Send pictures in a conversation in Google Photos.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Photos: The other other other chat.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Further update for anyone interested: though I used the phone less today on the 4G signal, it did seem to drop measurably less quickly than using it on 5G.

I do seem to enjoy the slight reduction in screen size on the 7, but I think it's going back at this point.

Last update that no one asked for on battery life. I had a long day in work last week and left after 14 hours off charge with under 30% battery left with hardly any screen on time.

Today I left after 8 hours with little screen on time and it was 76%. Basically all I did was turn WiFi off and let it sit in 5G and battery life was dramatically better. So it seems that the work WiFi and the phone were slapping hands and tiring my battery out.

Here endeth the saga. See you all next year.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Last update that no one asked for on battery life. I had a long day in work last week and left after 14 hours off charge with under 30% battery left with hardly any screen on time.

Today I left after 8 hours with little screen on time and it was 76%. Basically all I did was turn WiFi off and let it sit in 5G and battery life was dramatically better. So it seems that the work WiFi and the phone were slapping hands and tiring my battery out.

Here endeth the saga. See you all next year.

Interesting-I've noticed that I've had trouble keeping connected to wifi since getting a 7. It loves hopping on 5g for a minute, then moving back. Think I'll give taking it off wifi a shot and seeing if that helps. My battery has been worse than my 5 (for which I have never had any capacity issues or draining problems not connected to bad apps/updates) so I've been a bit disappointed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I havent noticed any problems with wifi on my P7, fwiw. I also get fine standby time on battery. Took my phone off the charger at 7am today, 815pm now at 63% SOT 3.5 hours in past 24 hours, AOD off. I was on wifi all day except for an hour on a grocery store run.

Did you folks restore from a backup that might have had settings the phone's not vibing with? Maybe try a factory restore and set up as new?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
What settings would those even be coming from a Pixel 5? Genuinely curious because I'd be happy to change them.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

effika posted:

What settings would those even be coming from a Pixel 5? Genuinely curious because I'd be happy to change them.

i have no idea, but whenever poo poo on iOS ain't running right on new phones, lots of times it's because the user is using a crudded up backup from multiple old phones.

i mean if your phone's not working properly a factory reset's not the worst idea, regardless

effika
Jun 19, 2005
That did prompt me to look through the developer options, and I remembered that I turned off Mobile Data Always Active on my 5! Turned it off today on my 7 and we'll see what happens.

I've not had issues with MMS arrival or wifi calling this morning, but those can be issues to watch for.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My Pixel Buds Pro are slightly out of sync with each other causing an echo effect, the firmware is up to date. I am going crazy. This is a $200 product lmao.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

smoobles posted:

My Pixel Buds Pro are slightly out of sync with each other causing an echo effect, the firmware is up to date. I am going crazy. This is a $200 product lmao.

Mine sounded funny the other day, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was doing. I'm pretty sure they were doing what you are describing, though. Try flipping the Noise Cancellation/Transparency mode around? I don't remember what fixed it, as it was pretty brief.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I am enjoying my Pixel 7 very much. The overall hardware package seems very solid and refined.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

smoobles posted:

I dropped $170 for the first gen pixel buds and in 3 months they stopped being able to properly sit in the charging magnets making them connect to my phone randomly while in the case

also this was an inherent flaw that affected every model which google refused to acknowledge

BoosterDuck fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 4, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IMO, Pixel Buds are trash and I'd spend the money on any number of better headphones

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Buds Pro aren't trash though and I HAVE at least one or more of the "better" options and still actually prefer the Buds Pro most of the time. The release of the equalizer is enough to quite the most vocal complaint about them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You're a lot more knowledgeable on the topic, so I'll differ to you, but as a slightly more informed than average consumer rando, I have no interest in giving the Pixel Buds another go and I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
My pixel buds A are better than the first true wireless pixel buds. I had the seating issue before big time, but so far the A has been great.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The latest ones overheat at the drop of a hat.

I have a 5IV. Previously a 1III. i'm a huge fan of sony phones.
The 5IV and presumably the 1IV have relatively poor heat dissipation for snapdragon 8 gen 1 but the overheating is overblown. Mine overheated when setting up (downloading a couple hundred) apps but since then never once.
can overheat with extended 4k video shooting.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Have folks that did have connectivity issues on the Pixel 6 line seen improvements if they upgraded to Pixel 7 (I know it's not everyone but a friend is having issues and figured I'd ask, since she's thinking about upgrading after cracking the crap out of her screen)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Have folks that did have connectivity issues on the Pixel 6 line seen improvements if they upgraded to Pixel 7 (I know it's not everyone but a friend is having issues and figured I'd ask, since she's thinking about upgrading after cracking the crap out of her screen)

it's probably an extremely subjective experience given the range of carriers and coverages but my calls sound a lot clearer than they did on the 6a. i don't notice any difference on call quality that i experience on my iphone 13 pm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CalvinandHobbes posted:

but the overheating is overblown. Mine overheated when setting up (downloading a couple hundred) apps but since then never once.
can overheat with extended 4k video shooting.

Well, a phone shouldn't overheat (to the point of displaying a warning) even when downloading a few hundred apps during setup. Get warm and potentially throttle a bit yes, but not throw up a thermal warning.

All of the reviews with specific examples suggest it takes far less than extended 4k shooting to cause the phone to start disabling features. Michael Fisher said that his 5 IV overheated the very first day he was testing it on a not very hot day while a stiff breeze was blowing and that it wasn't an experience he's been able to replicate on any other device.

I would say it is a valid concern if you are buying a Sony to use the cameras the way they were meant to be used, with careful setup and framing, necessitating them be active for longer than a phone that extensively uses computational photography.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of what Sony does for their devices. I've even considered buying one to try out. But Sony really needs some marked improvement in:

1) Thermals. Whether or not someone individually may find it to be an issue, there's no denying that they overheat at a far greater rate than pretty much any mainstream phone on the market and that's especially bad when it's those pro features that are going to bring that issue to the forefront the most.

2) Computational photography. Yes, I know the reason to buy a Sony phone is for the extensive manual modes that give you full control and I'm not suggesting that should be neutered in any way and they can give truly great results when used to their full capability. That said, sometimes you just want a snapshot quickly in less than ideal conditions and the phone just isn't capable of hanging with even most of the mid tier in that respect. The autofocus is on point and probably the best that's out there, but you need robust stack and align computational photography in order to allow you to whip out your phone in lower light and snap a pic in the moment and Sony just doesn't have it. I would also argue that Sony is in the rare position in that if they invested in computational photography prowess for their mobile division, they could cross pollenate those results to their camera division and create something magical. Imagine something with good optics and a large sensor with good computational photography.

If they paired excellent computational photography with their pro interface, think I would gladly spend the price for their phones. But I have camera that can do those pro settings (multiple in fact, two of them Sony) so if I'm in the mood I can put one of those in my pocket. My phone is something I capture moments with and I need something that's going to give me something good within seconds of pulling it out of my pocket, pro mode would be a bonus, not a defining base feature.

I'm happy they exist, but I'm constantly hoping they get better to give us a real serious 3rd android option because Moto just isn't cutting it and Asus is also not quite there.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

withoutclass posted:

My pixel buds A are better than the first true wireless pixel buds. I had the seating issue before big time, but so far the A has been great.

I have the buds 2 and the buds A and the A's are better in pretty much every way. First pair of Buds 2 I had the left one just wouldn't' connect. Replacement set just stopped charging.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think preference in earbuds is going to be even more individual and subjective than with headphones, which are themselves highly variable from person to person. I generally don't like earbuds but when I take out my contacts at night and switch to glasses my preferred over-the-ear headphones press on the glasses, so I switched to earbuds for those times. I've tried out JBL, Skullcandy, and Soundcore earbuds, and have finally landed on the third type of Soundcore earbuds I've tried as my preferred for gaming (and bought a second pair of them for redundancy). The others all have pluses and minuses, ranging from the fit not being as good, or the noise cancellation being worse, or the battery life being terrible. Wireless charging is nice and is a feature on my preferred Soundcores, but is not a decision point for me.

I guess what I'm saying is that earbuds are a land of contrasts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Me, I got a pair of Oppo buds with my watch by redemption and they've been pretty good and don't slip out of my wonky-shaped ear holes so I can't complain

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The pixel buds they gave me free with the 5a and 6a don't even have a way to control the volume. I think the official instructions say to use google assistant and tell it to decrease the volume lmao

The sound quality is ok, but they are trash overall

effika
Jun 19, 2005

effika posted:

That did prompt me to look through the developer options, and I remembered that I turned off Mobile Data Always Active on my 5! Turned it off today on my 7 and we'll see what happens.

I've not had issues with MMS arrival or wifi calling this morning, but those can be issues to watch for.

Update: that wasn't it. Screen on time of 3hrs 17m after leaving the charger at 100% 11hrs ago and I'm at 35%. My 5 would have been above 50%. Guess I'll try a reset with nothing brought over when I have time. :sigh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

The pixel buds they gave me free with the 5a and 6a don't even have a way to control the volume.

Volume controls are actually a thing a lot of buds don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The wireless earbuds I got for $7 on aliexpress have volume control, seems weird that ones that cost more than that wouldn't. I'm happy with my purchase for the average of 30 minutes a month I use them but I'm clearly not a big earbud enthusiast.