Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Anyone here want a TFCon 2019 exclusive MMC repaint?

R-37 Bedrock (Bulkhead) for $200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Check out TFWiki for excellent breakdowns of who’s in what size class for the toylines.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any actual gun model Megatron versions around that are any good? I know they changed to the tank for good reasons but it's an empty spot in my nostalgia cabinet

Edit - 3rd party is fine, of course

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Left to Right, Core/legends, Deluxe, Voyager, Leader, Commander

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

Are there any actual gun model Megatron versions around that are any good? I know they changed to the tank for good reasons but it's an empty spot in my nostalgia cabinet

Maketoys Despotron is extremely good, I like him better than MP-36. X-Transbots Apollyon is also pretty neat, but there is a scary spindly hinge involved in transformation. It's mostly there so that there is no partsforming, but this way you get the added stress of worrying if the long spindly bit will break when you transform it this time.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Hi thread! I sure do love Transformers. Haven't bought any in a while, but my birthday and Christmas are coming and why not. Could do with a bit of help focusing from others more knowledgeable, though! I'm mainly interested in the Masterpiece line, and every so often will remember this and check what's been released lately. However, I also bought a Kingdom Core Starscream a while back on impulse when in a toy shop, as it was adorable, and identifiably G1. I love how cool the transformation is despite the small size. I tried researching the line to buy more, but it's quite confusing as to what toys remain at small scale to look good beside Starscream. Ithink it may be specifically the War for Cybertron trilogy stuff but I'm not certain, even from the Wiki.

So, a few questions, if I may tap into your collective knowledge/garner a couple of opinions:

3. I see there are new MP seekers available. I always liked my MP 11 Starscream, Skywarp and Thrust, but these new ones do look great in robot mode. Not sure I like how smooth they are, but the overall shape is undeniably very nice, particularly for fans of the old animated film. Any goon thoughts on these new models and their quality control? More than a few people on TFW2005 have had issues, but hard to know percentages, particularly when reading comments of early purchasers. Is there likely to be a reissue, or if I want one should I make sure I get one now? Part of me is tempted to get all 3 seekers in the new mould; part of me thinks it would be ridiculous.
4. Is there a ghost of a chance of a reissue of MP 44? I held off due to the large number of QC complaints, and the fact that I really like MP 10, but am regretting it a touch now. If not, where is the best place to source one in the UK without selling my children?
5. Any opinions on MP Inferno/Grapple?

3. The quality control issues really came to a head with Hound, who I am kind of afraid to turn back into a jeep. That soured a lot of folks on the MP quality control, for good reason. At that price point? Come on, these things better have excellent QC. I do have the new Seekers, and mine are all pretty good quality-wise. The wings needed a little massaging to tab in properly, they basically turn inside-out for transformation.

4. It was like five hundred dollars new, that's one hell of a niche. What I did was get a knockoff that has considerably less paint overall but is still colored properly from Bababobo for about $100. That model apparently has "fixed" knees... but it just looks like someone clipped the offending tabs on his inner knee. Works fine though, didn't come with any of the Diaclone-esque figures, trailer, or Roller. An acceptable compromise for me.

5. It's good.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 2, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm a big MP (and 3P MP) collector.

For mainline stuff, I think everyone else has it covered, but the TLDR is - there are overall lines that last a couple of years. Those lines will have all kinds of various size classes (with associated price point).

Collectively, the stuff not based on the Bay movies or whatever the current cartoon is (although the recent Netflix shows got Generations releases), is referred to as "Generations", or sometimes "CHUG". This is the line that's basically "here's the vintage toy but updated" these days.

The recent toylines to fall under this are - Combiner Wars, Titans Returns, Power of the Primes, Siege, Earthrise, Kingdom, and now Legacy.

There's not a "core / small" line. Sometimes that size class is called Legends. All the lines above have the little dudes in it. Sometimes the "in scale-ish" small guys get releases here, but this size class also has no problem ignoring scale, to give you some of the big hitters like Starscream or Megatron or Prime or whatever. Once you get to Deluxe / Voyager / Leader / Titan, they try to be scaled more like you'd expect, and all those size classes work together.

The TFWiki that The_Doctor linked above is your best friend! Use it! :D

But turning to MP - really I think all of the Takara releases are good. Some better than others, some have QC issues, but they all look great together. Here's my thoughts on some you don't have:

- Prowl / Streak / Smokescreen - these are great releases. They're also cheap because they've been KO'd a bunch. So be careful if you're buying on eBay and it's from China. They also have "anime" colored versions that I prefer.
- Ultra Magnus - I love the transformation on this guy. He's pretty old, but I'd still recommend him. 3P is about to put out some new versions of him.
- Tracks isn't as bad as people say. Fun toy.
- Star Saber - We don't hit Japanese exclusive stuff often, so this is my jam. Simple, fun, great looking toy.
- Grapple / Inferno - This is one of those toys with "masterpiece moments". It was the first one to incorporate the ladder and hide it away. Pretty stellar.
- Wheeljack - great toy, although the wings still scare me, heh. Love the "anime" color version.
- Prime (MP-44) - It has some issues, but overall, I extremely love this release. So much stuff, the trailer is huge and has a ton of options and display / play value. Not everyone's cup of tea though. Long transformation, but intuitive. Kind of on MP Megatron (mp-36) level.
- Hound - Awesome sculpt, wonderful transformation. Unfortunately, one of the more notorious poor QC. The plastic likes to crack. Lots of KOs of this one around too, so beware (or get the KO so you don't cry if it breaks).
- The new Seekers - I think they're great. No waist swivel is weird. But, as you can tell, I love the anime / cartoon accurate looks. Really expressive, first toy to hide the tail wings and stuff into the transformation (although Deformation Space ended up coming out around the same time, or even slightly before, and did this too)

These you could pass on, for my tastes:
- Arcee - I hate this toy. Great car mode. But I think the robot mode is soooo far off animation model. The biggest common gripe is that her chest looks really screwy, but for me, it's just about everything in robot mode. Gross.
- Skids - This one doesn't really fit in. Skids was hardly even in the cartoon, so this is based more off the toy. It feels like a better CHUG figure, than a MP to me.

Someone earlier said MP collecting was a "dead-end", and I just can't disagree enough. Although, I really do recommend adding in 3P stuff. You'll double, if not triple, the amount of G1 friends to add to your shelf. If you're interested in some starters, let me know. Or I could drop some pictures. TFW2005 has a great pinned post too on 3P substitutions per-character per-season with links and poo poo.

I'm guessing you don't care about Beast Wars. That MP line is astounding too. Even has a few 3P contributions too now.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

xZAOx posted:

Someone earlier said MP collecting was a "dead-end", and I just can't disagree enough. Although, I really do recommend adding in 3P stuff. You'll double, if not triple, the amount of G1 friends to add to your shelf. If you're interested in some starters, let me know. Or I could drop some pictures. TFW2005 has a great pinned post too on 3P substitutions per-character per-season with links and poo poo.

:same:

With the sole exception of the upcoming 'lab Victory Saber (and I guess Deathsaurus later too), I only do MPs these days. I'm just not interested in the cheap looking, hollow and unpainted product that makes up the mainline stuff of late, it's not my cup of char at all. Would agree there have been a few missteps the last few years though (Arcee, Crumbling Hound, that revolting from all but one angle Bumblebee) but hopefully Trailbreaker will be more on the Inferno/Sunstreaker side of things.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The only "MPs" I collect now are Ocular Max's All Built In series.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

xZAOx posted:

Agreed. It is still the most exciting part of the hobby, even if it has slowed down in the last couple of years. Criticisms of the Takara official stuff are on point, and I did skip my first official MP release ever recently (Skids; the XTB version is good enough). The main retail line is better than it's ever been, but MPs remain the core of my collection and I don't see that changing. I can only assume the people who believe Siege Skyfire is an acceptable MP substitute have never handled a FansToys Phoenix.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

xZAOx posted:

- Skids - This one doesn't really fit in. Skids was hardly even in the cartoon, so this is based more off the toy. It feels like a better CHUG figure, than a MP to me.

Skids felt like a return to the mechanically simpler (but somewhat more robust-feeling) early MP carbots like Sideswipe and the Datsuns. Also he's got their "the G1 toy but better" styling, instead of Takara's later pivot to cartoon accuracy that started around Ironhide. And his plastic is so buttery.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Honestly, the War for Cybertron Trilogy, Studio Series, and Legacy have been absolutely amazing compared to previous toylines. Not that previous mainline stuff has been *bad*, per say, but I really do feel like they absolutely stepped up their game starting with Siege and Studio Series. MP figures and third party equivalents are still entirely within in their own league, for sure, but the mainline stuff has definitely given them a run for their money when you factor in the lower overall price point

Some of my favorite figures in the past few years have been stuff like Kingdom Cyclonus and Galvatron, which are probobly the legit best figures that these two have ever gotten (outside of some theoretical third party figure that I don't know about). The best has to be Studio Series 86 Hot Rod, which is a deluxe-sized figure at a voyager-class price point, and he honestly feels like a mini-masterpiece with all of his features and accessories.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Masterpieces have very high per-unit production budgets, but the R&D budgets do not reliably produce fun and durable designs. Generations is largely the inverse: kid-hand-friendly toys with high R&D budgets that are produced relatively cheaply per-unit.

For me, Generations much better suits my needs and desires, which is a large variety of characters with a variety of transformation schemes at affordable prices.

Commander Class and Haslab figures tend to be the perfect union of both - extremely well-engineered, kid-friendly but intricate toys with luxurious production budgets.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Maketoys Despotron is extremely good, I like him better than MP-36. X-Transbots Apollyon is also pretty neat, but there is a scary spindly hinge involved in transformation. It's mostly there so that there is no partsforming, but this way you get the added stress of worrying if the long spindly bit will break when you transform it this time.

3. The quality control issues really came to a head with Hound, who I am kind of afraid to turn back into a jeep. That soured a lot of folks on the MP quality control, for good reason. At that price point? Come on, these things better have excellent QC. I do have the new Seekers, and mine are all pretty good quality-wise. The wings needed a little massaging to tab in properly, they basically turn inside-out for transformation.

4. It was like five hundred dollars new, that's one hell of a niche. What I did was get a knockoff that has considerably less paint overall but is still colored properly from Bababobo for about $100. That model apparently has "fixed" knees... but it just looks like someone clipped the offending tabs on his inner knee. Works fine though, didn't come with any of the Diaclone-esque figures, trailer, or Roller. An acceptable compromise for me.

5. It's good.

Thank you. Agree completely on QC, considering the prices of these things. I did hear about Hound being particularly problematic. Good to hear your MP 52s are all in good order.

xZAOx posted:

I'm a big MP (and 3P MP) collector.

For mainline stuff, I think everyone else has it covered, but the TLDR is - there are overall lines that last a couple of years. Those lines will have all kinds of various size classes (with associated price point).

Collectively, the stuff not based on the Bay movies or whatever the current cartoon is (although the recent Netflix shows got Generations releases), is referred to as "Generations", or sometimes "CHUG". This is the line that's basically "here's the vintage toy but updated" these days.

The recent toylines to fall under this are - Combiner Wars, Titans Returns, Power of the Primes, Siege, Earthrise, Kingdom, and now Legacy.

There's not a "core / small" line. Sometimes that size class is called Legends. All the lines above have the little dudes in it. Sometimes the "in scale-ish" small guys get releases here, but this size class also has no problem ignoring scale, to give you some of the big hitters like Starscream or Megatron or Prime or whatever. Once you get to Deluxe / Voyager / Leader / Titan, they try to be scaled more like you'd expect, and all those size classes work together.

The TFWiki that The_Doctor linked above is your best friend! Use it! :D

But turning to MP - really I think all of the Takara releases are good. Some better than others, some have QC issues, but they all look great together. Here's my thoughts on some you don't have:

- Prowl / Streak / Smokescreen - these are great releases. They're also cheap because they've been KO'd a bunch. So be careful if you're buying on eBay and it's from China. They also have "anime" colored versions that I prefer.
- Ultra Magnus - I love the transformation on this guy. He's pretty old, but I'd still recommend him. 3P is about to put out some new versions of him.
- Tracks isn't as bad as people say. Fun toy.
- Star Saber - We don't hit Japanese exclusive stuff often, so this is my jam. Simple, fun, great looking toy.
- Grapple / Inferno - This is one of those toys with "masterpiece moments". It was the first one to incorporate the ladder and hide it away. Pretty stellar.
- Wheeljack - great toy, although the wings still scare me, heh. Love the "anime" color version.
- Prime (MP-44) - It has some issues, but overall, I extremely love this release. So much stuff, the trailer is huge and has a ton of options and display / play value. Not everyone's cup of tea though. Long transformation, but intuitive. Kind of on MP Megatron (mp-36) level.
- Hound - Awesome sculpt, wonderful transformation. Unfortunately, one of the more notorious poor QC. The plastic likes to crack. Lots of KOs of this one around too, so beware (or get the KO so you don't cry if it breaks).
- The new Seekers - I think they're great. No waist swivel is weird. But, as you can tell, I love the anime / cartoon accurate looks. Really expressive, first toy to hide the tail wings and stuff into the transformation (although Deformation Space ended up coming out around the same time, or even slightly before, and did this too)

These you could pass on, for my tastes:
- Arcee - I hate this toy. Great car mode. But I think the robot mode is soooo far off animation model. The biggest common gripe is that her chest looks really screwy, but for me, it's just about everything in robot mode. Gross.

I'm guessing you don't care about Beast Wars. That MP line is astounding too. Even has a few 3P contributions too now.

Great post - thanks for the recommendations. Good to hear an opinion on the new seekers. Definitely vacillating on them. Their shape is great, though MP 11 looks more robotic in a way, like there's more detail on him. Plus buying all 3 would be expensive and what the hell do I do with the old ones, considering I cannot be bothered to sell them. I guess find a different shelf/separate them from the main display, like my pre-MP 10 figures (minus MP 09, who works quite well as Rodimus Prime).

Magnus looks great, though I never cared that much for him as a character. I think I will go for Inferno, and maybe a couple of cars. Wheeljack is a great shout. Then maaybe the seekers. And maaaaybe MP 44. gently caress.

quote:

Yeah, I'm really only about the G1 MP line. I love Transformers, but I have quite a few hobbies and interests, as well as responsibilities, and only so much display space, so I can't get sucked too far into this hobby. As someone who grew up in the 80s who now has disposable income, just give me the expensive rear end, complex G1 MP toys for my man cave, and maybe a couple of the tiny Core figures for my desk.

The MP line has always been enough for me without being tempted by 3P; also I part of me is resistant to the "impurity" of going that direction. Maybe that'll change, but plenty enough to sink my teeth into with the Takara stuff for now. Though, if they don't do a Galvatron soon, that might be the one that makes me break my no-3P rule.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 2, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dabir posted:

For shrunken down big guys, the big four Decepticons are all available and all good, plus Starscream has been repainted as Skywarp and will be repainted as Thundercracker. Megatron is the weakest, but he's still fine, just has little things like how he can't point his fusion cannon directly forwards. There's a G2 repaint of him too. As Autobots go, you've got a very good Optimus and Ratchet (with Ironhide inevitably on the way) a tragic Hot Rod and a not great Bumblebee that's way overpriced because it comes with a half sucked jelly baby they're passing off as Spike Witwicky in an exo-suit. There's also a full size Core-class Spike Witwicky in exo-suit, but it's hopelessly out of scale with just about everything.

Oh yeah, the other current line is Studio Series. Studio Series hits the same price points as the main lines, but they're movie-based toys designed to be as screen accurate as possible for the price. The relevant subset for you is Studio Series '86, which is stuff based on the G1 movie (even characters that got about ten seconds of screen time). Core Ratchet and Spike are from SS86.

They also have a kind of super-subline that I don't understand at all floating around called Buzzworthy Bumblebee, which seems to sort of latch on to other toylines and implant a Bumblebee in them. Or one of Bumblebee's friends. Or a character that has nothing to do with Bumblebee. And sometimes it's a standalone thing. The not great Core-class Bumblebee with sucked jelly baby Spike are Buzzworthy Bumblebee.
Actually that's a good call, if you can find the Buzzworthy first episode Bumblebee that turns into a little VW Beetle-esque UFO then you should definitely get that. It's roughly core sized.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Official MP collecting is a dead end. 3P is an endless wonderland of wallet-emptying robotic joy.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I miss when leaders were bigger then Voyagers, it's sad that TR Blitzwing is a head larger then Legacy Blitzwing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sentinel Red posted:

:same:

With the sole exception of the upcoming 'lab Victory Saber (and I guess Deathsaurus later too), I only do MPs these days. I'm just not interested in the cheap looking, hollow and unpainted product that makes up the mainline stuff of late, it's not my cup of char at all. Would agree there have been a few missteps the last few years though (Arcee, Crumbling Hound, that revolting from all but one angle Bumblebee) but hopefully Trailbreaker will be more on the Inferno/Sunstreaker side of things.

Yeah, I'm the *only* collector in my large circle of TF friends who is MP-focused. To each their own, of course. More options are good. For people who love the mainline approach, they're swimming in a great collection though.

I do dabble in mainline, but just for oddball stuff (like G2 Sandstorm in those unreleased colors, the new SG Wheeljack to use as Slicer because I love ActionMaster homages and it's better than the old FunPub one, etc) and most of the city bots (I sold G1-based Metroplex because aesthetically it's way off, and I got like $350 for it at the time, I think it's even more now). And Unicron. Some other odds and ends, but the focus is def MP.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

and what the hell do I do with the old ones, considering I cannot be bothered to sell them.

I have a few like that - I display them in their alt mode. Like MP Arcee...I went *back* to FansToys Rouge instead, but MP Arcee ain't worth anything, so I kept her in her car mode and display both (that's her good mode anyways).

MP Soundwave also ain't worth poo poo, but is still a great toy. So when I got FT Soundwave, I put the FT in robot mode, and the official in tape deck mode.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

but I have quite a few hobbies and interests, as well as responsibilities, and only so much display space, so I can't get sucked too far into this hobby. As someone who grew up in the 80s who now has disposable income, just give me the expensive rear end, complex G1 MP toys for my man cave, and maybe a couple of the tiny Core figures for my desk.

I feel ya. I have a big display area (my basement / office / toy room), but still, there are limits.

If you're into MP / 3P, you get a lot *fewer* releases, but they're generally larger and more impressive looking.

If you're into the mainline stuff, you get a lot more releases, much quicker transformations for fiddling, but a lot less paint, never any diecast, and more hollow bits.

And the truth is, both are spending the same amount per month these days. Hell some of my mainline collecting friends spend more than me! I just prefer lesser, but higher quality, and they take up less space!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Legacy Blitzwing’s Hulk hands are terrible too, the pegs inside them are so short he can barely hold them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anora posted:

I miss when leaders were bigger then Voyagers, it's sad that TR Blitzwing is a head larger then Legacy Blitzwing.

There are lots of big leaders still. Studio The Fallen, SS86 Dinobots, they're all huge and excellent! It's just that the price point is also used for enhanced toys of Voyager-size characters.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Medullah posted:

I have the Wei Jiang NE-01 gigantic Megatron and it's been a fantastic display piece for however many years it's been in my cabinet. It's not super fun to play with since it's a complex transformation, but it seems solid as a rock. It really is loving huge though, it goes with their oversized MPP 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adWzd6tPf0o

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

That's an issue that's very easy to fix! :haw:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can’t collect MPs because they’re too expensive. They also have a very dissatisfying range of characters available. If you want a new toy of someone like Bomb-Burst or Hot Shot, MP and 3rd parties aren’t going to give it to you. It’s just those first few years of characters, over and over again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

I can’t collect MPs because they’re too expensive. They also have a very dissatisfying range of characters available. If you want a new toy of someone like Bomb-Burst or Hot Shot, MP and 3rd parties aren’t going to give it to you. It’s just those first few years of characters, over and over again.

That is why Fans Hobby exists. To do the characters nobody else really gives a poo poo about.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s where the first part comes into play. Expensive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I completely forgot about the leader dinobots, and yeah, they fit much better in the scale!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

So Core-class, Leader-cass, Voyager-class are scale designations? With Core the smallest?

Probably late on this but to be pedantic no, they're size (and/or price point) designations. Looking for scale in Transformers is a fool's errand.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/Segway/status/1547268367072968704

This was posted in July

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Paul Autoblart: Mall Cop

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Good Listener posted:

Paul Autoblart: Mall Cop

Blartobots, blart out

e: Segways are legit fun though

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Ladies and Gentlemen, AARNHIIDE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hot tip! If you carve through 86 Ironhide's diaper flap with a hobby knife along the sculpted lines, it instantly becomes way less obnoxious with no evident downside. My guess was that it's a dummied-out feature that didn't pass drop testing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Joe Fisto posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, AARNHIIDE

Autobot Enforcer.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

Hot tip! If you carve through 86 Ironhide's diaper flap with a hobby knife along the sculpted lines, it instantly becomes way less obnoxious with no evident downside. My guess was that it's a dummied-out feature that didn't pass drop testing.
Carve through where, to do what? Disclamer if it's obvious in hand: I don't have the figure yet.

I did get the Orion Pax/Alpha Trion pack today. I didn't realize how extensively remolded Alpha Trion got, he's got a new head, torso, upper arms, thighs, basically he just shares the lower bits of each limb and the soapdish shell with Scourge. I do wish they had found some way to differentiate his vehicle mode a little, since he basically looks like a purple Sweep with a different middle bit, and him sharing a vehicle mode with a creation of Unicron seems a bit off. But it's not like he's going to be in that mode all that often. Oh, I also wish they had used the Sweep hands instead of Scourge's, since he kind of has claws.

Speaking of hands, I did think Hasbro messed up somewhere along the line in using a dark Optimus blue paint on Orion Pax's hands compared to the much lighter blue for his head and feet, I figured they probably changed the plastic color somewhere in the design process and forgot to update the paint to match, but then I looked up a picture of Orion Pax and

Weird choice by the G1 designers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Knormal posted:

Carve through where, to do what? Disclamer if it's obvious in hand: I don't have the figure yet.

If you cut through the sculpted lines on either side of the center of his crotch plate, it becomes three separate perfectly secure pieces, so you don't have to lift the entire flap to accommodate moving just one of his hips.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Dabir posted:

If you cut through the sculpted lines on either side of the center of his crotch plate, it becomes three separate perfectly secure pieces, so you don't have to lift the entire flap to accommodate moving just one of his hips.

Can confirm.

Use a fresh sharp blade and go carefully, it totally works.

It looks a bit rough as I'm out of fine sandpaper, but the plastic is the exact right sort of soft and it'll buff up and blend in no problem.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Excellent tips!

I don’t know how mobile Ironhide needs to be. Most bots from space Texas walk straight legged all the time.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Joe Fisto posted:

Excellent tips!

I don’t know how mobile Ironhide needs to be. Most bots from space Texas walk straight legged all the time.

...and sometimes they DANCE!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moai Ou posted:

Got some bots in today that I forgot I preordered!

The color schemes really make them feel like completely different toys. It's nice to finally have a screen-accurate Alpha Trion. Between these, Jhiaxus, Star Saber and now Deathsaurus, this has been a great year for a lot of my dream figures.

Vector Sigma is just a hollow plastic ball, but it's a nice accessory. The key can't really be held though, so you kinda have to wedge it in Trion's hand and hope for the best. And a word of warning DO NOT wedge it all the way into Vector Sigma. The fit is very tight and I had a hell of a time trying to get it back out without breaking it. Where I have it in the above picture is about the safe limit.

Nice pics! Mind if I ask what setup you use?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dabir posted:

That's what I was thinking, but I don't think I have the steady hand to cut around that pin without it getting all uneven. I guess I'll see how much the hip flap bothers me once I actually have the figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Anora posted:

Legacy Blitzwing was a strange choice for that picture when the SS Dinobots exist. Edit: I see that was realized.

Yes, classes really refer to plastic mass these days, but there are Leaders that are the size one would expect from the class.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 3, 2022