Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Owlbear Camus posted:

One interesting observation the Civilized Age podcast made about the costuming, hair, and their little princess leiDa is that this could be read as a rough AU sketch of Anikan and Padme's domestic life if she lived and stayed in the Senate and he never got disfigured.

Yeah, I thought that was a neat observation, I could definitely see that. Also Perrin would absolutely appropriate the look and culture of a group of warrior monks to feel cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What's the Vegas line for Luthen surviving the show?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jinnigan posted:

what if karn does a false flag op in order to make the empire take the rebellion more seriously

Just lol if you think Karn needs to run a false flag op to get attention. That dude is about to turn the charm up and have Dedra going weak.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Madurai posted:

I'd cover 2:1 against him being alive by the end of the show's run without a second thought.

I'm interested to learn what his whole deal is at the pace the show wants to lay it out, and think and hope everyone saying "Jedi in hiding" is wrong because that's a super boring answer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lobok posted:

Only back in your cubby hole! What about while working!

I wish the assembly hall had big hamster water bottles for each table. Take a little sip during the brief hand's off moment when the new part cycles in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has Star Wars always been this fashionable?

Some of these outfits are on point. The outfit Kleya wore to meet Vel, Mothra's outfits the past few episodes, even Dedra's ISB jacket and hat are legit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The Republic of Fashion, being subverted and destroyed by geezer wizards who just want to wear bathrobes all day

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lando and his capes look like he's some rube from sticks that "got dressed up" for a job interview by tucking in his blue button down by comparison

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

What's interesting is the throughline of "everyone's fighting their own rebellion" and the ways in which we are shown how and why people become radicalized into violent rebellion, Kino of course being the latest example. The diversity of the motivations is also very interesting, I'm not sure you have two people who are choosing revolution for the same reason. Mon Mothma is a bleeding heart, we don't exactly know what Luthen's motivation is but it seems to be retribution, Andor's a thief, Lev and Cinta seem to be young and angry style of college leftists, one bougie one not, with Nemik being the intellectual style of college leftist. I like that there are motivations which are noble, motivations which are greedy, motivations that are ideological, and motivations that are personal.

Wasn't it mentioned that stormtroopers murdered everyone in her family? I think that's a bit more than angry college leftist.

Sash! posted:

I sort of wonder what the flavor is because I assume it is vanilla. Which might as well be no flavor.

Introducing a brand new flavor. It tastes like... level 2 :v:

Also what the gently caress vanilla is a great flavor. You are now sentenced to 100 cycles of labor for dissing vanilla.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Madurai posted:

Isn't Andor introduced to Jyn in Rogue One as head of Intelligence?Which is kinda like what Luthen is good at? Andor inherits the mantle?

Or according in the hopes of AMC; He drops his fake accent and and finally talks in his natural southern drawl, puts the sky kyber into a lightsaber and confronts Palp in a last ditch effort for Mon to escape. He was Rael Aveross all along!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I literally think that their dynamic is that she has only very, very thinly veiled resentment toward him. One thing to read between the lines is that she is a single mother and dad is never mentioned. Whether he was never in the picture and she blames him for being an obligation in her best years; whether there was a divorce and he blames her for driving him away, there's something going on there.

She says openly in this exchange that she sees him as an investment upon which she expects a return, not a cherished child to whom she owes an obligation to nurture. Nothing he can do will please her long term. When he says he got a promotion this does mollify her, but there will be a regression to the mean if he doesn't ladder climb.

Nothing he can do will please her. Remember the exchange about having an "open invitation?" It's likely she would have declined the more explicit invitation on some other grounds, and delights in the fact it was never extended so she can torment him with the ambiguity.

She's a maternal Palpatine, scheming and tormenting and creating rifts in their little two person familial empire.

It's no wonder he struck out on his own on the galaxy's periphery. One really interesting acting choice that was pointed out on the More Civilized podcast (pro recommendation from this thread) is that she has an accent that he seems to have very scrupulously trained himself out of.

Really it's no wonder he's so hosed up.
I'm kind of dense so this is probably obvious to everyone, but when she was asking him about his "prospects," I don't think she was just talking about his career opportunities.

Not only is he a loser and a poor "investment," he hasn't given her grandkids yet and probably never will.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ash1138 posted:

I'm kind of dense so this is probably obvious to everyone, but when she was asking him about his "prospects," I don't think she was just talking about his career opportunities.

Not only is he a loser and a poor "investment," he hasn't given her grandkids yet and probably never will.

I don't think he'd share it with Mother, but I do have to wonder how she'd respond to "Actually I DO have a girlfriend, I touched her arm and everything and she's an ISB supervisor!"

I could see it going either way:
- "Oh, highly placed! A career woman, a very good match Cyril!"
or
- "A careerist? No no no, cyril, you need someone more traditional, who will stay home and prepare two meals for you and help you start a family."

Probably the latter, simply because she cannot be pleased. And if he said he'd dumped her for an aspiring tradwife, she'd completely 180 and say she liked the other one better.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Karn is so perfectly encapsulating the foot soldier of fascism, some loser wiener kid who has no social skills and misinterprets no one liking him as a they problem, not me problem. They latch themselves onto authority because they mistake power over people as respect, and are angry and confused when they have those positions and they don't elicit the respect and admiration they think they deserve.

His simping for Dedre is probably half "omg she thinks just like me, cares about standing between order and chaos and" and half "omg a woman actually talked to me, and knows my name AND DID SOMETHING NICE FOR ME" even though it was not anything more than her most basic job. Its like those incels that think because a woman said good morning to them, that they're going to get married and she will become his trad wife. He is so socially and emotionally stunted that even this professional contact with a woman has given him all the wrong ideas. Dedre is evil and a monster and is fully committed to the most evil regime imaginable, but she doesn't deserve to have some creepy dude stalking her.

Kino being "nope, keep your head down, do you job and you'll get out" and as soon as he hears the reality of the situation, is instantly "gently caress this" was great. He thought that the Empire would play by its own rules, that this was an honest game that they were in. Lol nope, like all fash they'll give the hope of life and freedom to their victims. As Cassian points out constantly, no ones listening, they don't care, they just care the parts are coming out of the rooms and the rooms are meeting their quota, they don't give a poo poo about whats being said or anything. A big theme of this is the Empire is completely complacent and arrogant, that they cannot imagine their power would be challenged. Which is why Dedre is scary because she's not complacent and sees a bigger picture. The Empire thinks that their prison is so clever, that is very nature will keep the prisoners complacent and pacified, working mindlessly thinking that escape is hopeless and they just need to do their jobs. Breaking out next week is going to be fantastic.

One thing I am a bit confused by, is that they use "fry" to mean both just shocking the prisoners and killing them. We saw the slowest table get fried in this episode, but they clearly aren't dead, but they said that floor 2 got fried and they were all dead. its just confusing vernacular.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

One thing I am a bit confused by, is that they use "fry" to mean both just shocking the prisoners and killing them. We saw the slowest table get fried in this episode, but they clearly aren't dead, but they said that floor 2 got fried and they were all dead. its just confusing vernacular.

They explained it when Andor first arrived in episode 8. There's 3 levels to the electrocution. The lowest level is the punishment for being too slow and what was demonstrated on them when they arrived. I assume the highest level is what floor gets set to at night and what they used on level 2.

e:

Jinnigan posted:

yeah they need to differentiate between fried and toast

also i hadn't realized that the floor can selectively fry people (or sections?), i'd thought it was an all or none collective punishment

iirc Kino told the slowest table to get in the box this episode, so presumably there's a designated section of the center of the room for the punishment.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 3, 2022

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
yeah they need to differentiate between fried and toast

also i hadn't realized that the floor can selectively fry people (or sections?), i'd thought it was an all or none collective punishment

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
it’s stir fry vs deep fry, how crispy the end result is

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

level 2 had the Low Ground and got the Full Anikan

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I'm curious to see where the Cyril Figgus-rear end torture doctor ends up. This doesn't seem like the kind of show that would say information produced by torture is A-1 prime intelligence so if the ISB jumps on what Bix or the rebel pilot divulged I can see that backfiring. Maybe the doctor and his research get eliminated because it doesn't actually get results.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I don't think he'd share it with Mother, but I do have to wonder how she'd respond to "Actually I DO have a girlfriend, I touched her arm and everything and she's an ISB supervisor!"

I could see it going either way:
- "Oh, highly placed! A career woman, a very good match Cyril!"
or
- "A careerist? No no no, cyril, you need someone more traditional, who will stay home and prepare two meals for you and help you start a family."

Probably the latter, simply because she cannot be pleased. And if he said he'd dumped her for an aspiring tradwife, she'd completely 180 and say she liked the other one better.
"Next time, on Syril Can't Win..."

twistedmentat posted:

Kino being "nope, keep your head down, do you job and you'll get out" and as soon as he hears the reality of the situation, is instantly "gently caress this" was great. He thought that the Empire would play by its own rules, that this was an honest game that they were in. Lol nope, like all fash they'll give the hope of life and freedom to their victims. As Cassian points out constantly, no ones listening, they don't care, they just care the parts are coming out of the rooms and the rooms are meeting their quota, they don't give a poo poo about whats being said or anything. A big theme of this is the Empire is completely complacent and arrogant, that they cannot imagine their power would be challenged.
Yep, the guards overlooking the factory floor probably aren't even laughing at the prisoners like they think. They probably don't even care.

Also "The Empire doesn't consider a small, one-man fighter to be any threat. Or they'd have a tighter defense."

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Lady Empire FBI sees Crispen Glover as an asset and I can't loving wait for it to backfire on her in spectacular fashion.

"Well, Mr. Rael, you can't say Coruscant doesn't love you!"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

zoux posted:

lol. They're both wire mommies tho.

Feels like this show really broke out on social media this week. Seen more discussion about it on twitter and reddit this week than ever before. It's interesting that it was for this episode, which, while being excellent, was still a set up episode with no HUGE moments but a lot of good medium moments. I think this show is going to do very well in its second season and hopefully that will encourage Disney to greenlight more projects that don't involve the core SW poo poo that is in everything else.

It wasn't because this episode in specific imo, it just is word of mouth in general that has been slooowly accumulating since episode 3 onwards, week by week. And now finally it is reaching enough audience to generate good amounts of internet hype and discussion.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

twistedmentat posted:

Kino being "nope, keep your head down, do you job and you'll get out" and as soon as he hears the reality of the situation, is instantly "gently caress this" was great. He thought that the Empire would play by its own rules, that this was an honest game that they were in. Lol nope, like all fash they'll give the hope of life and freedom to their victims. As Cassian points out constantly, no ones listening, they don't care, they just care the parts are coming out of the rooms and the rooms are meeting their quota, they don't give a poo poo about whats being said or anything. A big theme of this is the Empire is completely complacent and arrogant, that they cannot imagine their power would be challenged. Which is why Dedre is scary because she's not complacent and sees a bigger picture. The Empire thinks that their prison is so clever, that is very nature will keep the prisoners complacent and pacified, working mindlessly thinking that escape is hopeless and they just need to do their jobs. Breaking out next week is going to be fantastic.

I really liked that they didn't (and didn't need to) give Kino some big hokey speech about his change of heart, either. His reasons for changing his mind were perfectly evident from the events of the episode, and his change of heart didn't need to be conveyed any other way than he starts answering Andor's questions.

Heck, they didn't even really give Andor a big cheesy recruitment pitch, it was just 'this place is a nightmare, help us get out' on repeat.

It's so well done.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

evenworse username posted:

I really liked that they didn't (and didn't need to) give Kino some big hokey speech about his change of heart, either. His reasons for changing his mind were perfectly evident from the events of the episode, and his change of heart didn't need to be conveyed any other way than he starts answering Andor's questions.

Heck, they didn't even really give Andor a big cheesy recruitment pitch, it was just 'this place is a nightmare, help us get out' on repeat.

It's so well done.

Rogue One's famous line is "rebellions are built on hope" so its interesting to contrast that Kino's obedience is also built on hope. Once that hope is gone, well,

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
The whole episode I kept expecting someone to get their hand crushed by the machinery. I'm sure it's just an easy way to keep up the fiction that they are working on some industrial the whole time, but there were the bits were Ulaf couldn't raise his hands anymore and I was so sure we'd see a tired old man get his hand mauled. This probably isn't the show to do that, just a bit to gorey and borderline slaptick-y, but I couldn't stop dreading it everytime someone said "Hands clear".

Dedra's actress really sold me on how hyper aware that Karn encounter made her. It just felt like she suddenly realized that she is surrounded by people like Karn, especially inher own staff. The bit where her assistant buts in with the whole "He was clean shaven" was just like Karn's whole "It was a grey green cloak", just the most useless, tenious piece of evidence they have convinced themself is important because it's what they can bring to the table. Then greeting her at the door like a puppy with his new lead, looking for that head pat from Dedra, right after the stalking scene and her own sudden awareness of who he reminded her of.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
How does transferring people work though? I get there was mix up and the worker who was released from Level 4 was sent to Level 2. But wouldn't the worker talk anyway about being released and then taken to another work site instead?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not sure there are many coherent wise things you can say about hope at this point. "Wanting things you think would be good to happen" is mostly too broad and cross-cutting of an emotional category to ascribe only to events or people you like

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Gilroy, please give me a scene of Karn's Mom and Dedra.

I beg of you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dexo posted:

Gilroy, please give me a scene of Karn's Mom and Dedra.

I beg of you.

The real dinner party

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Denim Avenger posted:

The whole episode I kept expecting someone to get their hand crushed by the machinery. I'm sure it's just an easy way to keep up the fiction that they are working on some industrial the whole time, but there were the bits were Ulaf couldn't raise his hands anymore and I was so sure we'd see a tired old man get his hand mauled. This probably isn't the show to do that, just a bit to gorey and borderline slaptick-y, but I couldn't stop dreading it everytime someone said "Hands clear".

my friend commented that ulaf's stroke was probably a compromise between "workplace death" and "no gore on Disney+"

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

"andor is the star wars show for adults" oh yeah well then how come they don't have the balls to show a degloving accident

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 3, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Burning_Monk posted:

How does transferring people work though? I get there was mix up and the worker who was released from Level 4 was sent to Level 2. But wouldn't the worker talk anyway about being released and then taken to another work site instead?

I think they were meant to be transferred to a floor of one of the other prisons instead of another floor of the same

They instead of rotating them in amd out forever it's probably like one prison, if you surive that you got to another one, after that you're probably killed or/and set free but I doubt many make it through two sentances.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 3, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

my friend commented that ulaf's stroke was probably a compromise between "workplace death" and "no gore on Disney+"

I thought it was strange because it's by far the most mundane way someone has ever died in star wars, I didn't even know you could get strokes over there

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

zoux posted:

I thought it was strange because it's by far the most mundane way someone has ever died in star wars, I didn't even know you could get strokes over there

I dunno, Yoda died of old age. That's pretty normal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah and then he vanished into thin air.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Burning_Monk posted:

Narkina 5 is a “low security” prison. The inmates are kept in line by only “mild” punitive measures and the hope of seeing their countdowns tick down day by day knowing that they’ll be released eventually.

Low-sec prisoners “released” under PORD are probably being shipped to prisons with much more active and harsher enforcement and obedience countermeasures where the inmates are already lifers or living with the mantra of “obey, work or die” instead of Narkina’s “obey, work, and one day freedom.”

And yes, Narkina has lethal enforcement too with the floors, it sucks, but it’s still the “nice” prison.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whether or not they are allowed to do gore I think the stroke gets the narrative to where it needs to be in neater fashion rather than have some big SNL-style spraying of blood everywhere that disrupts everything. With the stroke he just dies undignified in a prison hallway barely even noticed by the guards.

It also helps that dying by "natural" causes hammers home how they're all stuck there for the rest of their lives. Accident or no, they're going to die there. Kino doesn't have 200 days left before he's free. He has 200 days left before his next 10,000 days begin.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think the hands thing was there to make us dread and anticipate a maiming happening, then when they have poor Ulaf go down to a stroke it’s just that much more unexpected.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm unclear if the prisoner recycling was always how it was done or if it was just done because of the new laws passed in the wake of Aldhani. I'm pretty sure it's the latter because I imagine the first dude to get recycled would be like "uh, guys, guess what just happened to me".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

You are blessed to not have a mom like this.

I have a mom like this. Everything about Karn's home life is incredibly triggering. And true to life.

Yeah. Really familiar poo poo. You got to realize that everything they're saying and thinking is thru the lens of "will this benefit me in some way", and that their children are really just ways to burnish themselves.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

"andor is the star wars show for adults" oh yeah well then how come they don't have the balls to show a degloving accident

They are teasing us with severed fingers every single time one of those parts rises out the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Im pretty sure its implied to be due to PORGs. All their sentences got doubled when pord dropped and now theyre just recycling prisoners too.

The Empire is going full mask off