Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I’m sort of half-assing a new character and ran up to the dragonkin in the early section of Siofra expecting to easily kill him. I don’t remember ever having trouble with those, except the rot one anyway. Well I got stuck on its loving belt. Not sure what the hell was wrong with me, I just couldn’t pick a good spot to melee and kept getting caught on it. Whiffed dozens of swings like a straight-up mole.

Then I fought the ancestor spirit and basically did the same thing. Took me like 15 minutes. Maybe I should switch from this hammer to a fist weapon and play like this on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

So I’d like to respec for faith with maybe madness or dragon spells for ng+. Any fun builds? Weapons? Not looking for min max necessarily, just good times.

Saw you could do fun stuff with the erdtree shield for instance, but is that just gimmicky or actually viable for a play through?

I got a lot of mileage out of Winged Scythe; Blasphemous Blade trivializes everything. I was all set to write up a bunch of stuff about minimum requirements and late unlocks before I realized this was for NG+ lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, that double-chop at the end of the dual-katanas combo is incredibly satisfying, especially since it hits like a truck.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SLOSifl posted:

I’m sort of half-assing a new character and ran up to the dragonkin in the early section of Siofra expecting to easily kill him. I don’t remember ever having trouble with those, except the rot one anyway. Well I got stuck on its loving belt. Not sure what the hell was wrong with me, I just couldn’t pick a good spot to melee and kept getting caught on it. Whiffed dozens of swings like a straight-up mole.

Then I fought the ancestor spirit and basically did the same thing. Took me like 15 minutes. Maybe I should switch from this hammer to a fist weapon and play like this on purpose.

Every run I stumble on some boss or enemy type that fucks me up, even though I didn't have problems with them before. Just a weird quirk.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Dragonkin have a really weird, hosed up hitbox in the middle of their bodies where attacks will just whiff even as you watch them pass through their model. It's stupid. The answer is to park yourself between their back legs and watch them try in vain to turn around and hit you only to move you out of harm's way because you're stuck between their legs.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Dragonkin have a really weird, hosed up hitbox in the middle of their bodies where attacks will just whiff even as you watch them pass through their model. It's stupid. The answer is to park yourself between their back legs and watch them try in vain to turn around and hit you only to move you out of harm's way because you're stuck between their legs.

I like using fist and claw weapons because being Wolverine is dope, but this kind of thing is easily the worst part of those builds. So many enemies are like, curved in such a way that you autowhiff if you try to attack them while locked on.

Having to unlock just to punch things at point-blank range was a weird lesson to learn.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Inzombiac posted:

Every run I stumble on some boss or enemy type that fucks me up, even though I didn't have problems with them before. Just a weird quirk.

the changing in timing from weapon to weapon, or with a new set of spells or whatever, can make certain bosses totally different. instead of 1 2 3 dodge its 1 2 3 dodge or 1 2 3 dodge and now that big overhead is timed perfectly when you finish your reflexive roll

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I was personally thrown off by the fact that some weapons bonk off walls if you have one too close on your right side, and some just, like, don't

So many times I ran around a corner where I knew an imp was waiting in ambush and tried to whack him before he could do it, only for my sword to bonk harmlessly off the wall and leave me wide open to eat poo poo

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I like using fist and claw weapons because being Wolverine is dope, but this kind of thing is easily the worst part of those builds. So many enemies are like, curved in such a way that you autowhiff if you try to attack them while locked on.

Having to unlock just to punch things at point-blank range was a weird lesson to learn.

The erdtree guardians or whatever the erdtree minibosses are called are the worst. Standing right in front of them, walking into them and fists still wont hit during some animations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Hoarah loux: I'm just going to punch the ground with my fists, and if you get hit, it's your own fault!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SPARE YOUR MAIDEN
NO MORE BURNING PEOPLE

Shabriri: Oh they got that all wrong..

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh, crap. I shouldn't have said "may chaos take the world!"

Oh, crap. I certainly shouldn't have said "may chaos take the world!" a second, louder time

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Vyke: So that's it after 2 Great Runes? Burn it all down, and good luck?

Shabriri: I don't recall saying "good luck."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

on second thought, I can make actual images

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Hi, my name is Godrick. Drinking has ruined my life. I’m 31 years old!

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 3, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Who controls the Elden Crown?
Who keeps the zombie people down?
We do! We do!

Who keeps the Snowfield off the maps?
Who keeps the Omens under wraps?
We do! We do!

Who holds back the Tarnished prawn bars?
Who keeps trying to enslave the stars?
We do! We do!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Who robs Irina of sight?
Who rigs the Malenia fight?
We do, weeeee doooooooooo

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Augus posted:

“Hi, my name is Godrick. DrinkingGrafting has ruined my life. I’m 31 years old!

No Dignity posted:

SPARE YOUR MAIDEN
NO MORE BURNING PEOPLE

This one is killing me.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 3, 2022

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No Dignity posted:

SPARE YOUR MAIDEN
NO MORE BURNING PEOPLE

Beautiful.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
https://i.imgur.com/SlKdlNl.mp4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“You call eyeballs ‘grapes’?”
“Yes. It’s a regional dialect.”

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So I got distracted from this shortly after release and I’m thinking about picking it up again.

Whole lot of balance changes. Anything of note for someone hybridizing between str/dex/faith without a clear gameplan?

Kinda want to beeline whatever’s easy to snag with low-ish reqs if that’s possible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

So I got distracted from this shortly after release and I’m thinking about picking it up again.

Whole lot of balance changes. Anything of note for someone hybridizing between str/dex/faith without a clear gameplan?

Kinda want to beeline whatever’s easy to snag with low-ish reqs if that’s possible.

Starting out as dex/faith with the Winged Scythe is solid, and shifting to str/fai or pure faith around midgame is super easy because you get loads of great weapons that are str/fai while dex becomes the complement to int. This is all somber stuff tho, non-somber stuff can all be made to scale however you'd like on the fly. I'd suggest a minimum of 12 faith up to 25 if you want the full range of buffs but don't plan on being a caster, and pick one of the others to take to softcap while the other only stays as high as you need for whatever weapons you wanna use.

Int was like that for my str/fai guy, had it at like 20 because a lot of my favorite weapons required a bit to use

Winged Scythe you get in Weeping, and even before that you get a great holy ash for anything in between, but at that level almost all of your weapon damage is going to come from weapon upgrades so the scythe and a non-somber is the best setup, like the Uchi or nightrider flail

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Augus posted:

Maiden: Good lord what is happening in there!?
Vyke(horribly burned): A.. aurora borealis.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Augus posted:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Augus posted:

:allears:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If only we’d listened to that caravan, instead of walling them up inside the abandoned frenzied flame proscription

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

For a paladin build, try to have twice as much faith as you have strength and dex. They're useful for unlocking better gear as you go through the game, but Faith will be your primary offensive stat both for casting and in melee. A humble morning star or flamberge with Sacred Blade and a 100% physical shield (plenty of options here, with the Brass Shield being the best once you have the strength for it) is all the close combat gear you need. Your other main stats alongside Faith should probably be Mind, Vig, and End - having more health, stamina, and magic juice is always useful, and they also give you useful secondary effects, like the ability to equip heavy armour without impacting your mobility. Int and Arc are only really useful for upping your resistances and meeting the minimum stat requirements for incantations - speaking personally, I did the same as with Strength and Dex and levelled them at half speed.

One thing about every caster build is that you'll be relying heavily on guides - collecting new incantations where and when you can is one of your main methods of gaining power, and it's really easy to skip really useful ones by missing optional areas, optional items, and optional sidequests. If you want to go into Elden Ring blind without having to worry about constantly optimising your equipment, I'd suggest a physical build like a samurai.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a mod that lets me have a spirit out all the time?
I want to do a Pokemon run.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lmao

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
God I'm slow.

Level 40 and I haven't left Limgrave yet. Part of the issue is I never have a ton of time to play, so whenever I fire it up I usually nope out of a dungeon/boss and go grind for a few minutes. Found out that the troll outside the third church of Marika is easy pickings and 1000 runes... so now I'm way overleveled. Oh well, there's worse things!

Though I did just beat Agheel. Took less time than I thought... I mean, I died several times, but once you figure out the patterns it's easy. Not sure being lower level would have been easy, I kept downing flasks because glintstone pebble either does a tiny bit of damage, or misses because its range always seems shorter than I think.

and gently caress, Yuri is useless here, doubly so since I can't use Torrent if I summon him. He just follows me around and never really attacks. Doesn't even draw aggro very well either. Much rather have Torrent available to sprint around.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Have you done the Tibia Mariner yet? If not, I'd recommend it; if so, talk to D to get a warp point to a much better grinding area with much easier kills for about that same number of runes.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeah killed that guy way back... Super easy boss.

Not sure I got anything from D? I got directions to the beastial sanctum. Not sure if that's what you're referring to? There's that big winged fucker outside that I'm not sure I want to harass...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah killed that guy way back... Super easy boss.

Not sure I got anything from D? I got directions to the beastial sanctum. Not sure if that's what you're referring to? There's that big winged fucker outside that I'm not sure I want to harass...

Yep, that's the place. Wandering around that building's front yard are a bunch of Vulgar Militia who can be easily stealth-killed for a grand a pop. Easy grinding spot once you learn their spawn points. Do not bother the gargoyle.

Anyway I think it's time you killed Godrick lol

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Yeah don't mess with that big guy, he's the bouncer. Have fun with Stormveil Castle! Amazing legacy dungeon, probably my favorite level design in the game.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Oh yeah I should definitely be a lot further along. There's still a couple dungeons in limgrave I haven't done yet, and I haven't even entered the weeping peninsula.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Sheesh you're overleveled hah! Well weeping peninsula is a bit lower level than the castle if you feel like exploring even more before the big dungeon. I feel like if you're the thorough explorer type then you absolutely never need to grind runes in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

If you do the platforming section behind beastial sanctum and get to the bottom you can get the first dragoncrest shield talisman. Since it increases all physical damage resistance I find it a powerful generic talisman to get early on.