Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't remember what was the deal with the piece of the soul king that was with YWACH? Was that something YWACH had under his control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't remember what was the deal with the piece of the soul king that was with YWACH? Was that something YWACH had under his control?

Technically 2 pieces, Hand Quincy was one of the Soul King's hands and Thor Quincy was the Soul King's heart.

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021

The Hand was the one that governs progression and change. Presumably the main body being stuck in crystal keeping the current order going no matter what sat poorly with it. Meanwhile the Heart we don’t have as much on the portfolio or its role within the body, but I’m pretty sure a decent part of the Soul King just wanted to die for obvious reasons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I did it. I finished Bleach and the one-shot. Hearing about how much of a miserable slog Bleach eventually becomes and how it started going down the crapper after Soul Society probably helped a lot, because the only part I thought was a flat-out slog was the Fake Katakura fights. Like don’t get me wrong, large swaths of Blood War were a mess and i wouldn’t blame anyone for disliking the execution, but by the time poo poo hit the fan hard with stuff like Ichigo’s sword breaking near instantly it was also rushing towards the end so it wasn’t like there was a training arc to refix it.

Lol that the one-shot is basically a sequel hook to get everyone out of hell, instead of just a neat lil story. Also RIP Yachiru, I’m guessing most people weren’t really surprised that the random nameless child that suddenly appeared that was the only thing besides fighting Kenpachi had any genuine fondness for was his guiding moonlight, but she was a cute/funny character so it sucks that she’s just a sword/axe most of the time like all the other stands that can talk perfectly fine but don’t.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

As earlier, his separate parts developed their own minds over time. One bonded itself to Ukitake to keep him alive despite having Blood Cough his entire life, others joined up with Ywach because gently caress Shinigami.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
A reminder of the importance of the doubletap.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The idea of each piece of a guy's horribly mutilated body becoming sentient enough to bear grudge against the society that mutilated him in the first place is a good one and I wish Kubo exlpored it more.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's both kinda unique and kind of infuriating that of the Big 3 Bleach is the setting that both sucks the most (in terms of how the status quo is, not talking about the powers/backstories/etc.) and also does not meaningfully alter its state by the end of it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Death is inevitable and cannot be avoided. One can do nothing to change that fact. This theme is explored deeply in the anime series "Bleach" and in this essay I will

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So what happens to souls that die in the Soul Society? Do they go to the Super Soul Society? :v:

…Okay, but really: Rukia’s sister (and maybe her childhood friends) prove that you can still perma-die from disease, starvation, and plenty of other mundane, non-sword-related causes. How is that in any way better than life if you’re one of the many who don’t have what it takes to be a Soul Reaper?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

god drat they know how to end an episode

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont like rangikus haircut this arc

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

if they fix the problems in the ending of the arc, the anime might just make the thousand year blood war arc the best one lmao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd take a whole lot to overcome the long stretches of ywach sitting around being omnipotent while everyone else runs around in circles accomplishing nothing.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

So what happens to souls that die in the Soul Society? Do they go to the Super Soul Society? :v:

…Okay, but really: Rukia’s sister (and maybe her childhood friends) prove that you can still perma-die from disease, starvation, and plenty of other mundane, non-sword-related causes. How is that in any way better than life if you’re one of the many who don’t have what it takes to be a Soul Reaper?

The originally given answer was that when you die in Soul Society you reincarnate into the Human World - thus, the Cycle of Souls. There was another theory advanced later on, stating that they're absorbed into the spiritual matter that makes up Soul Society, and it is definitely the case as of the end of the series that powerful dead Captains at least are dumped into Hell because their souls are too big/strong/whatever to go through the usual results any more.

The actual answer is that there's a number of big holes in the setting explanation no matter which given one you go with, so don't think about it too hard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense on a basic level because every passing second, there are more humans than ever before. nothing about the system as presented creates new souls to put into circulation. rukongai and hueco mundo mostly just serve as stockpiles to remove souls from the cycle. then there are when dead people reproduce and their ghost baby spends their entire non-human life in the afterlife. idk where to even get started on that poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think there was also a plot point early in the Quincy arc where a ton of people were just vaporized or something without a trace?

And it turned out to be Mayuri, who was doing it to balance the world because the Quincies were killing off so many hollows (when a Quincy kills a hollow the hollow doesn't enter the cycle of reincarnation) so Mayuri decided he had to kill off the poors permanently or something to bring balance. And then Yamamoto's like, yeah, that's good, I would've told you to do the same, just keep me updated next time.

Or something.

Look it's been a while.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think there was also a plot point early in the Quincy arc where a ton of people were just vaporized or something without a trace?

And it turned out to be Mayuri, who was doing it to balance the world because the Quincies were killing off so many hollows (when a Quincy kills a hollow the hollow doesn't enter the cycle of reincarnation) so Mayuri decided he had to kill off the poors permanently or something to bring balance. And then Yamamoto's like, yeah, that's good, I would've told you to do the same, just keep me updated next time.

Or something.

Look it's been a while.

I'm pretty sure the anime already dropped that, right before the quincy invaded.

Also, I cannot get over how nice the anime looks. Matsumoto, Hitsugaya, and Omaeda look a bit off-model but I think that's just Hitsugaya being a bit taller than I'm used to seeing him animated. Omaeda seems taller and less corpulent, and Matsumoto also seems taller and her hair is different.

I know i've said it before, but Pierrot is doing the best work on a series I've ever seen from them.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm pretty sure the anime already dropped that, right before the quincy invaded.

Also, I cannot get over how nice the anime looks. Matsumoto, Hitsugaya, and Omaeda look a bit off-model but I think that's just Hitsugaya being a bit taller than I'm used to seeing him animated. Omaeda seems taller and less corpulent, and Matsumoto also seems taller and her hair is different.

I know i've said it before, but Pierrot is doing the best work on a series I've ever seen from them.

its really amazing seeing kubo's designs animated so wonderfully

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

i dont like rangikus haircut this arc

I thought she was just a bit roughed up from the fight

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I went back and started reading the manga again and it's just a tad bit out of order if the next episode's title matches the manga chapter, but the anime has such better pacing which makes me believe that the side things are going to end up getting expanded on just a little better.

At the pace of the Anime, The "Fear" against Renji and Byakuya could be a stand-alone episode instead of being chopped up over several chapters which makes the fight later on much more easier to digest

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it'd take a whole lot to overcome the long stretches of ywach sitting around being omnipotent while everyone else runs around in circles accomplishing nothing.

i only casually followed the ending clusterfuck, doesn't ichigo spend most of the finale climbing up and down stairs

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 2, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

:golfclap:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1588245106884112384?t=bSNLUCF4OOsRyvIpCh26wA&s=19

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Already deleted, what was the gist of it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tweet has gone to Soul Society, what did it say?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, maybe it was the dub announcement?

https://twitter.com/vizmedia/status/1588245101628620800?s=46&t=r-gLbT-4NSaMUdU8pKnvDA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was an announcement that Chad had been recast in the dub since Jamieson Price was stepping down.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Waffleman_ posted:

It was an announcement that Chad had been recast in the dub since Jamieson Price was stepping down.

yeah that makes sense

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1588245521688190976

https://twitter.com/JamiesonPrice/status/1588271213356277760

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From the man himself:

https://twitter.com/JamiesonPrice/status/1588271214513922048
https://twitter.com/JamiesonPrice/status/1588271216833372166

e: beaten

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah, that's actually pretty cool. Glad it wasn't another union issue like Mob.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Jamieson aint getting jobbed out vs some statues. Respect it tho

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Presumably Chad will get... something to do in the anime? I hope??? We've already gotten a little bit of fight fluff with some of the early captain vs quincy battles and the next episode previews look to have even more expanded content, so hopefully they give Chad at least like one proper fight.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Sydin posted:

Presumably Chad will get... something to do in the anime? I hope??? We've already gotten a little bit of fight fluff with some of the early captain vs quincy battles and the next episode previews look to have even more expanded content, so hopefully they give Chad at least like one proper fight.

Anything to make the Karakura guys more interesting

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Why's Price stepping down? Too busy?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Literally a few posts above you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

He didn't really say why though.