Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I just peaked my head on to see how bad it has gotten and literally with in 30 seconds I saw hate speech. I know it was a dumpster fire before but this is wild. I didn't even bother reporting. Feels really bad that there is nothing that can be done about it and this is just going to fester and be seen as acceptable speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Terebus posted:

Yeah, no one else has tried to clone the SiMplE concept of twotter because it so easy and it will eadily be overtaken by this other platform that will appear out of nowhere.

I mean the point is if twitter does it will be replaced. People are acting like twitter dying kills the concept

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Terebus posted:

Yeah, no one else has tried to clone the SiMplE concept of twotter because it so easy and it will eadily be overtaken by this other platform that will appear out of nowhere.

No one could replace twitter because twitter had all the users. If they actively run the service into the ground someone else will take over

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Maybe Elon can start charging $10 to be unbanned. However Donald Trump would probably not pay that

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I feel like if some one announced tomorrow that they are making twitter but with a focus on content moderation people would wind sprint to this new platform. I also think the large mainstream publications would pick the winner if all the journalist and news people who drive engagement moved then people would likely follow.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vire posted:

I feel like if some one announced tomorrow that they are making twitter but with a focus on content moderation people would wind sprint to this new platform. I also think the large mainstream publications would pick the winner if all the journalist and news people who drive engagement moved then people would likely follow.

I did this and it's so moderated no one can post. You can send $100 to possum@possum.legit to join

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Terebus posted:

there was no point to clone twitter before because there was still twitter

if twitter becomes a poo poo pile then yes, someone will absolutely make a similar service

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vire posted:

A lot of these already exist. What will happen is the existing Twitter competitors will be joined by another couple of dozen and people will scatter from Twitter among them until one achieves a critical mass of users and then Twitter dies fast while nuTwitter devours it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

kazil posted:

there will almost certainly be a new twitter that will take the place of current twitter when elon runs it into the ground

Yeah but with the new place you have like a year before the echo chamber makes the community completely toxic and insufferable

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Today's smart new business idea to drive traffic: The Hate Speech Olympics!

How many retweets and likes can you get before the mods suspend you?

The winner gets a free subscription. For one month.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Hate to hand it to matty g but I think this is essentially correct

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1588193355019714563

The rest is mostly dumb per his usual style

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So Elon and Zuckerberg are 'Doing a Trading Places wager' right?

Like they've bet a crisp new 1 dollar bill against each other that they can ruin their company before the other person does.

It's the only possible explanation now.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Deptfordx posted:

It's the only possible explanation now.

what if they're both just chucklefucks

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Social media is saturating and imploding, which is absolutely fine by me. But it's going to make people with dying platforms like Zuck do some dumb stuff to try and define the next wave of social media hype, and he's put all of his eggs in the AR/VR basket. I don't think Musk had a plan beyond "get them to stop making fun of me for losing my wife to a chick and then offering horses for HJs". I guess Zuck at least had a plan, even if it sucks.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Social media is saturating and imploding, which is absolutely fine by me. But it's going to make people with dying platforms like Zuck do some dumb stuff to try and define the next wave of social media hype, and he's put all of his eggs in the AR/VR basket. I don't think Musk had a plan beyond "get them to stop making fun of me for losing my wife to a chick and then offering horses for HJs". I guess Zuck at least had a plan, even if it sucks.

psure elno has been left holding the biggest bag in history

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

DrPossum posted:

And he demanded it, no less. The only guy in history to rug-pull himself.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
apparently a bunch of ppl are gonna quit in solidarity with all the ppl who are gonna be purged tomorrow :munch:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

crime weed posted:

apparently a bunch of ppl are gonna quit in solidarity with all the ppl who are gonna be purged tomorrow :munch:

There’s going to be even more people who quit later out of low morale from being treated as expendable and getting extra work piled on the.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

crime weed posted:

Jokes on them, I love doing the work of multiple people while constantly being threatened by my boss in between his twitter meltdowns

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Goddam, it hasn't even been a week yet!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I can’t believe he’s actually pitching the n-word slider to Ad execs, lmao

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Outrail posted:

Elon's new model is based entirely on the assumption that because everyone uses twitter therefore everyone has to use twitter, so everyone will have to accept any zany rules he puts in place. He thinks he's a dictator in an authoritarian state, but he's just a business owner in a capitalist system.

There are only like 2-300 million active accounts worldwide on Twitter. Many of these are bots or alts. Something like 10% of users account for 90% of posts, and there have been fewer active posters since 2020.

"Everyone" is not using twitter. The only reason it's considered important is that news outlets never figured out how to operate on the internet and twitter filled that gap. Giving every shmuck who wants one a blue checkmark and making verified posts sort to the top is going to make it significantly worse at the one thing it did well.

I don't think it'll be replaced by a lookalike. When Facebook died, we didn't get a new iteration of Friendster/Myspace/FB, people just stopped using that type of social media.

DrPossum posted:

Raising Grimes and Chelsea Manning's kids? :classiclol:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

kazil posted:

Jokes on them, I love doing the work of multiple people while constantly being threatened by my boss in between his twitter meltdowns

And sleeping at the office? Less gas expenses :smugdog:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You have to wonder how much of the panic has leaked past his idiot self-confidence.

I mean it's a matter of time before even he can't deny "Oh I've hosed up and I'm hosed" at which point we're going to see a meltdown for the ages.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

big black turnout posted:

Hate to hand it to matty g but I think this is essentially correct

You do not under any circumstances have to hand it to matty and I don't know what any of that meant

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I hope that every engineer that goes into a code review with him brings nothing but a printout of an ASCII goatse, dickbutt, or middle finger.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Deptfordx posted:

You have to wonder how much of the panic has leaked past his idiot self-confidence.

I mean it's a matter of time before even he can't deny "Oh I've hosed up and I'm hosed" at which point we're going to see a meltdown for the ages.

I think he realized it several months ago when he tried to back out of the purchase deal. This is all window-dressing at this point

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deptfordx posted:

He’s literally on Twitter begging for money

We are already here

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A deep lol at his "journalism is bigoted against big tech!!" stance, when even the most cursory of investigations shows Big Tech as inbred robber barons.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rating scale E through N I assume

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

How will content moderation work with black Twitter? Will there be a way to verify yourself as black so your soft-a n-word tweets don't get treated the same as some klansman tweeting a hard-r?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There’s going to be even more people who quit later out of low morale from being treated as expendable and getting extra work piled on the.

the only thing better than that is the hundreds of unqualified rocketfuckers lining up and getting jobs to fill the gap

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Zugzwang posted:

I hope that every engineer that goes into a code review with him brings nothing but a printout of an ASCII goatse, dickbutt, or middle finger.

he won't make it past the first one when he tries to get someone to explain to him what "import" means

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

worm girl posted:

There are only like 2-300 million active accounts worldwide on Twitter. Many of these are bots or alts. Something like 10% of users account for 90% of posts, and there have been fewer active posters since 2020.

"Everyone" is not using twitter. The only reason it's considered important is that news outlets never figured out how to operate on the internet and twitter filled that gap. Giving every shmuck who wants one a blue checkmark and making verified posts sort to the top is going to make it significantly worse at the one thing it did well.

I don't think it'll be replaced by a lookalike. When Facebook died, we didn't get a new iteration of Friendster/Myspace/FB, people just stopped using that type of social media.

Facebook claims to currently have three billion active accounts

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DrPossum posted:

the only thing better than that is the hundreds of unqualified rocketfuckers lining up and getting jobs to fill the gap

Watching them try to spin everything as genius Elon moves super success has been one of the funnier parts of this adventure

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
E: whoops wrong thread

King Carnivore fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 4, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Machai posted:

How will content moderation work with black Twitter? Will there be a way to verify yourself as black so your soft-a n-word tweets don't get treated the same as some klansman tweeting a hard-r?

They’re going to be treated the same regardless so there’s really no need to come up with a solution

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

worm girl posted:

musk will probably start selling special verified corporate twitter checkmarks

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Jillian poo poo posted:

Lemme guess, the all hate speech all the time tier is free bc free speech is free!!!! :usa:

No hate speech? $14.99/mo because it costs more to get the magic computer wizards to filter all the slurs

for $14.88 you get extra slurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Azathoth Prime posted:

for $14.88 you get extra slurs.

:allears: