Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I regret to inform you that the hotdog is a landlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Zamujasa posted:

phew, good thing this was already covered

And this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY1P1N00BZ8

Its weird, its like money has velocity, until some greedy gently caress decides they want to run up their score.

Anyways, we need a few more presence patrols going on around this thread. Let the enemy know not to try anything here.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hot dogs burgers and sandwiches ate nothing, Kebab is the superior food. The only thing greater than kebab is Bánh mì

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm hungry for char siu.

A char siu sandwich would kick rear end.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

hypnophant posted:

fundamentally, this only happens because the bigger store is able to offer lower prices than two competing smaller stores could because of economies of scale. There isn’t any other advantage to being big; you keep out competitors by undercutting them on price. If you can raise your prices and still undercut any potential competitors, the price increases aren’t because of your profit margin; they’re because costs have gone up for everyone.

That's a pretty naive take. There are a million ways to keep out competitors including but not limited to:

• purchasing your new competitors while they're nascent and then killing them off.

• Working with or threatening distributors to make it harder for competitors to source basic grocery products

• working with existing competitors to fix prices because it's more profitable for both of you to keep prices high. (technically illegal, but very hard to prove!)

• lobbying the local municipality to aggressively limit the number of grocery stores allowed

• Doing proactive site selection scouting and buying up or otherwise working to deny the availability of good locations for competitors to open at

Thia is before you even get to the advantages of being a larger established incumbent (lower prices from bulk purchases, established vendors, established customer bases and loyalty programs, etc. etc.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm hungry for char siu.

A char siu sandwich would kick rear end.

My dude I will make you a char siu smoked pork belly sammich that will blow your loving mind

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

phew, good thing this was already covered

that article is free of details but I assume you have them and can show us how the perfidious Bread Price Fixing Scheme resulted in increased costs to the consumer of some amount the consumer would actually notice, like a tenth of a percentage point of their grocery budget or something? because if this was a plot to overcharge for bread by like 0.002%, and it's been found out and is resulting in criminal charges, then that does not at all convince me of how I'm wrong about grocery pricing power

Steezo posted:

And this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY1P1N00BZ8

Its weird, its like money has velocity, until some greedy gently caress decides they want to run up their score.

Anyways, we need a few more presence patrols going on around this thread. Let the enemy know not to try anything here.

wow a sound bite and a poster board from a congressional hearing??? what a compelling argument!!

also I spent all of five minutes researching this (found the clip on c-span, googled and couldn't find the paper) and the paper isn't about food price inflation specifically. It doesn't claim and you shouldn't assume that the percentages are even across sectors; the author (who is the guy speaking) says price increases were highest in sectors where companies have pricing power, which again, is not in retail groceries

El Mero Mero posted:

That's a pretty naive take. There are a million ways to keep out competitors including but not limited to:

• purchasing your new competitors while they're nascent and then killing them off.

• Working with or threatening distributors to make it harder for competitors to source basic grocery products

• working with existing competitors to fix prices because it's more profitable for both of you to keep prices high. (technically illegal, but very hard to prove!)

• lobbying the local municipality to aggressively limit the number of grocery stores allowed

• Doing proactive site selection scouting and buying up or otherwise working to deny the availability of good locations for competitors to open at

Thia is before you even get to the advantages of being a larger established incumbent (lower prices from bulk purchases, established vendors, established customer bases and loyalty programs, etc. etc.)

most of these are very expensive compared to just keeping your prices low enough that competitors don't try to enter the market in the first place. buying up unnecessary real estate, buying up potential competitors, and bribing or threatening your suppliers are expensive and risky, while keeping prices low is cheap and tends to make your business more stable over time by building a good relationship with your customers. the other advantages - the economies of scale I was talking about, which includes your relationship with both your vendors and customers - are things that enable you to keep those prices low and still make large profits, not things that cause you to want to raise prices.

political corruption, localism and capture are problems, I agree. But I don't think they're responsible for % increases in food prices across the country.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

hypnophant posted:

that article is free of details but I assume you have them and can show us how the perfidious Bread Price Fixing Scheme resulted in increased costs to the consumer of some amount the consumer would actually notice, like a tenth of a percentage point of their grocery budget or something? because if this was a plot to overcharge for bread by like 0.002%, and it's been found out and is resulting in criminal charges, then that does not at all convince me of how I'm wrong about grocery pricing power

wow a sound bite and a poster board from a congressional hearing??? what a compelling argument!!

also I spent all of five minutes researching this (found the clip on c-span, googled and couldn't find the paper) and the paper isn't about food price inflation specifically. It doesn't claim and you shouldn't assume that the percentages are even across sectors; the author (who is the guy speaking) says price increases were highest in sectors where companies have pricing power, which again, is not in retail groceries

most of these are very expensive compared to just keeping your prices low enough that competitors don't try to enter the market in the first place. buying up unnecessary real estate, buying up potential competitors, and bribing or threatening your suppliers are expensive and risky, while keeping prices low is cheap and tends to make your business more stable over time by building a good relationship with your customers. the other advantages - the economies of scale I was talking about, which includes your relationship with both your vendors and customers - are things that enable you to keep those prices low and still make large profits, not things that cause you to want to raise prices.

political corruption, localism and capture are problems, I agree. But I don't think they're responsible for % increases in food prices across the country.

You're getting baited into the weeds in bad faith.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I was on the fence about posting Musk Dumb Thing Number One:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1588271675933704192

Then there's th-HEY I REALLY LIKE YOUR FEET POST TITS

https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1588293173532454913

I AM EL0N MUSK, PAY ME $5 AND I'LL DM YOU A MEME

https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1588295736944312320

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 3, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

lightpole posted:

Honestly if anything, I dragged this argument into the weeds, sorry to anyone who didn't want to read too many words about grocery prices

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

lightpole posted:

The bad faith was coming from the guy going "price gouging isn't the problem, ignore the record profits, and Katie Porter doesn't know what she's talking about." It is the problem and she does, in fact, know what she's talking about.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
economics talk? booooring

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hot dogs burgers and sandwiches ate nothing, Kebab is the superior food. The only thing greater than kebab is Bánh mì

:yeah:

Watching Musk tank Twitter is :chefkiss: hopefully he follows Lowtax and leaves this mortal plane

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't some rear end in a top hat chop down an ancient tree in one of our national parks back during trumps big government shutdown? I did google it but I can't remember the details of which state

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't some rear end in a top hat chop down an ancient tree in one of our national parks back during trumps big government shutdown? I did google it but I can't remember the details of which state

I wanna say it was Joshua Tree NP

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nick Soapdish posted:

I wanna say it was Joshua Tree NP

indeed

one of the first results for "idiot chops down tree national park government shutdown". i wasn't expecting to actually find it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

Watching Musk tank Twitter is :chefkiss: hopefully he follows Lowtax and leaves this mortal plane

Check out the clusterfuck he's about to unleash:

https://twitter.com/ariehkovler/status/1588305369616764929

$8/month to be verified @BofaBank and demand that olds reset their password at [shadylink] and give them a DEEZ NUTS private message after you empty their bank accounts

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

hypnophant posted:

yeah and because revenue is larger than cost, the absolute change in revenue is bigger than the absolute change in cost, when the relative change is zero. that’s how percentages work

thats all fine and dandy if every expense was paid out when inflation was at its lowest. But spending doesnt happen all at once, it happens continuously.

They might be saving a bit on paying their employees, but maintenance, material cost, shipping costs, all have gone up with the inflation rate.

Theres not some massive gap, costs scale with inflation.

Edit: so if corporations are posting record profits its because their emplpyee's wages have not scaled with inflation. And therefore, record profits during inflation shouldnt be happening.

PROFIT IS UNPAID LABOUR.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 4, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol called that they weren’t going to bother doing the actual verification part after expanding the potential user base so much

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

When will they have the premium checkmark level, where you can change it to other icons, like the various badges for platinum available here?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol called that they weren’t going to bother doing the actual verification part after expanding the potential user base so much

I dont thinl anyone thought they would. Half the fun of twitter is satire. Nobody is going to pay for a verification that forces a static name.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa posted:

indeed

one of the first results for "idiot chops down tree national park government shutdown". i wasn't expecting to actually find it

Well now they're saying they pulled an oopsie daisy on it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hypnophant posted:

no. corporations are profitable when they have access to a labor pool of educated, healthy workers in secure housing and with reliable access to transportation. They also need good infrastructure to connect them to their suppliers and customers, and good governance to reduce systemic uncertainty; from natural disasters, from political instability, and from crime. This is why the most profitable companies are found in the most developed cities; because that is where the the deepest and most productive labor pools, the best infrastructure, the least volatile governments are all located. None of this improves when schools get worse or people’s health care gets cut off or the housing stock crumbles from lack of occupancy.

Ok so if corporations are going up in profit margins while “have access to a labor pool of educated, healthy workers in secure housing and with reliable access to transportation” along with “good infrastructure” are declining how does that work?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Also "least volatile governments" is a weird way to say bought and paid for politicians with lobbying money

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
i use twitter for work and had a discussion with the team about 'what do we do if twitter implodes?' and the consensus was 'lol' and also 'lmao' and 'loving lol' and 'one less thing to worry about' so here's to hoping!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
everyone is sick of it so if you want to keep getting schooled in basic economics feel free to pm me, but if marx’s contributions to humanity had included sound political economic theory well we wouldn’t be having this loving conversation any more would we

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
dawg just log off

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol with employees fleeing wonder how long it will take for major celebrity or corporate accounts to be hacked and not get fixed for like a week or more

facialimpediment posted:

Then there's th-HEY I REALLY LIKE YOUR FEET POST TITS

https://twitter.com/ClaraJeffery/status/1588293173532454913

This seems similar to the early days of cameo when folk figured out they could send insults to Joe Arpario to record and he’d reject them but they knew he was reading them and weren’t charged anything.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hypnophant posted:

everyone is sick of it so if you want to keep getting schooled in basic economics feel free to pm me, but if marx’s contributions to humanity had included sound political economic theory well we wouldn’t be having this loving conversation any more would we

Not sure if you’re talking to me but I honestly was asking you a question in my last post.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

hypnophant posted:

only you, because youre wrong and dont want to embarass yourself anymore.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

That Works posted:

Not sure if you’re talking to me but I honestly was asking you a question in my last post.

How does what work? the corporations are in the areas (cities) that have good schools and hospitals and infrastructure. The areas that lack those things are more and more impoverished every year. What part of that do you think contradicts what I said? Why do you think the richest state is DC and the second richest is New York and Mississippi is the bottom of the list?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

That probably has more to do with a civil war

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

hypnophant posted:

How does what work? the corporations are in the areas (cities) that have good schools and hospitals and infrastructure. The areas that lack those things are more and more impoverished every year. What part of that do you think contradicts what I said? Why do you think the richest state is DC and the second richest is New York and Mississippi is the bottom of the list?

Because those sectors are generally in decline across the board, even in cities that are ahead of the curve, yet corporations who require the things you mentioned don’t seem to be in decline.

Regional granularity to individual corporation profit isn’t something I’ve seen that much of. Any good resource for that?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Atlanta burned to the ground during said Civil War. Ohio remains Ohio.

Meanwhile, the bloodletting begins at Twitter:
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1588327896120430595?t=5U6fpeGYsB9r-C1GHhTAIw&s=19

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

only you, because youre wrong and dont want to embarass yourself anymore.

This is the internet equivalent of talking poo poo at the guy walking away.

It’s not a great look.

Edit- I’m posting about posting and I’m sorry about that, McNally- I won’t say anything further on the matter.

In current events: Kyrie Irving is suspended without pay for refusing to say isn’t an anti-Semite.

Boy are there… opinions out there.

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 4, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Yashar got the whole email and it really *is* slot machine layoffs:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1588327845348093952

And the wild thing is that per Ben, most of twitter's people WANT to get fired so they can collect their severance, versus possibly getting fired for cause for disagreeing with Elon and the toxic bro culture he brought in/empowered.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

Atlanta burned to the ground during said Civil War. Ohio remains Ohio.

Meanwhile, the bloodletting begins at Twitter:
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1588327896120430595?t=5U6fpeGYsB9r-C1GHhTAIw&s=19

I thinking burning to the ground is a lesser punishment than remaining ohio

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

This is the internet equivalent of talking poo poo at the guy walking away.

It’s not a great look.

:waycool:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
CBS on that suspension I mentioned:

CBS posted:

NEW YORK -- The Brooklyn Nets have suspended Kyrie Irving for a minimum of five games without pay, they announced on Thursday, a week after Irving first publicized a film full of antisemitic tropes.

Irving promoted a film entitled "Hebrews to Negroes: Wake Up Black America," on social media last Thursday, and has since refused to fully disavow its contents or say he's sorry despite having multiple opportunities to express some form of contrition.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in a prepared statement on Thursday that he is "disappointed" in Irving's decision not to apologize, and Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt tweeted that Irving has "a lot of work to do."

Irving said Thursday that he "cannot be antisemitic if I know where I come from." Asked what he meant by that, he repeated, "I cannot be antisemitic if I know where I come from."

Here is the Nets' statement in full:

"Over the last several days, we have made repeated attempts to work with Kyrie Irving to help him understand the harm and danger of his words and actions, which began with him publicizing a film containing deeply disturbing antisemitic hate. We believed that taking the path of education in this challenging situation would be the right one and thought that we had made progress with our joint commitment to eradicating hate and intolerance.

We were dismayed today, when given an opportunity in a media session, that Kyrie refused to unequivocally say he has no antisemitic beliefs, nor acknowledge specific hateful material in the film. This was not the first time he had the opportunity - but failed - to clarify.

Such failure to disavow antisemitism when given a clear opportunity to do so is deeply disturbing, is against the values of our organization, and constitutes conduct detrimental to the team. Accordingly, we are of the view that he is currently unfit to be associated with the Brooklyn Nets. We have decided that Kyrie will serve a suspension without pay until he satisfies a series of objective remedial measures that address the harmful impact of his conduct and the suspension period served is no less than five games."

This story will be updated

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

CBS on that suspension I mentioned:

Yeah it's purestrain Black Israelite poo poo, but the especially anti-Semitic kind. Adam Silver and the NBA tried their loving damnedest to keep their heads down and practically begged Kyrie to just do the basic apology stuff. So instead he says "well, I didn't make the movie!"

At some point you're not a different thinker, you're just an rear end in a top hat. Most of these people lately are missing that point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i don't think i've ever seen a company quite so publicly collapse as twitter is currently doing

My Spirit Otter posted:

I thinking burning to the ground is a lesser punishment than remaining ohio

:waycool:

they told sherman he could only leave ohio if he burnt a city to the ground, the rest is history

also costco opened here recently and i have a few thoughts
1) their hotdogs are real good and only 2 nzd with a drink, which is like.... a quarter, USD?
2) you can buy an economy size 5lb package of american cheese slices, so i may have to reenact one of my favourite Simpsons scenes one night
3) their meat is good quality, i smoked a brisket and it was excellent
A+++ would save money on bulk purchases again