Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
is it considered a pro russia position to say ukraine would be marginally better off being rebuilt as part of the russian federation than getting carved up by the IMF and sold off piecemeal to US business interests?

here, i've drawn a helpful diagram to explain this wild, zany tankie position that i personally do not hold;

like i said, not my personal opinion as i'm certain the good ole US state dept will write off those hundreds of billions in military aid as 'doing a buddy a solid' and happily allow ukraine the freedom (:911:) to democratically govern itself as a sovereign nation.

also, i'm 100% sure a triumphant zelensky's first move will be to immediately decriminalize organized labour and opposition parties and declare an immediate moratorium on pogroming roma as that's just the kind of vibe he's putting out y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Calibanibal posted:

war is gross. full stop.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Welcome back thread. You’re not wrong about that QCS thread. It goes places. I’m not sure how much longer spaces that look at the war in a nuanced skeptical way are going to last on any English language platform, that’s hardly SA specific. There’s a certain dogged moral certainty that has overtaken pretty much everyone. It’s almost been remarkable to watch it develop in real time

I really don’t think it helps at all that most of the higher profile voices in opposition to US involvement have been MAGA types

The CPC letter and the push to deplatform BJG are other examples. It’s wild out there

Did you listen to the interview? It was hilarious how the guy had no actual substantive objections to the letter and could only cast aspersions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Either way, it is certainly going to have an effect, supply lines and energy prices really didn't need another shock coming in after COVID and the much of the West is in a rather intractiable economic mess. The UK is already saying the recession is going to be 2+ years in part because it is going to be very difficult to provide the type of stimulus measures available during COVID because of inflation.

So...I don't know if capitalism is going to go but I wouldn't say it is looking that healthy either.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Amethyst posted:

posting about the ukraine war in a comedy way. putin is wide walking hahahaa they even set it to a "dub step" soundtrack 👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good poo poo

tthere is not a single poster on the previous page worth a single poo poo. this is the most pathetic display of attempted shitposting i've seen in my life. you are all stinking loving nerds posing as jaded policy analysts and your pretend jokes make me god drat sick!!!!!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wor9NbepITo

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i dont feel safe living in a world where a war is happening.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

6,614 posts behind on the previous thread, any actually interesting war developments between then and now?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

G7 countries + Australia (basically america- western Europe -Japan) officially adopt price caps on Russian gas and oil

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1588279795489439745?s=46&t=AL2Tlynnt40aOqWz6AfWfg

How the gently caress do you the buyer set a price cap on the seller if he can sell it to someone else, this seems like flailing.

Also with all the talk of gas reserves being full and the price coming down, has the average idiot Euro seen a descrease in their electricity bill or are they still getting destroyed?

Unrelated post to the gas question how do people square the idea that Russia is waging a genocidal war on Ukraine with the fact that they keep having prisoner exchanges?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Welcome back thread. You’re not wrong about that QCS thread. It goes places. I’m not sure how much longer spaces that look at the war in a nuanced skeptical way are going to last on any English language platform, that’s hardly SA specific. There’s a certain dogged moral certainty that has overtaken pretty much everyone. It’s almost been remarkable to watch it develop in real time

I really don’t think it helps at all that most of the higher profile voices in opposition to US involvement have been MAGA types

The CPC letter and the push to deplatform BJG are other examples. It’s wild out there

It's like a NoJoe I told you so, but the only people listening are other NoJoes.

:sigh:

At least Brie is still fighting the good fight

speng31b
May 8, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

6,614 posts behind on the previous thread, any actually interesting war developments between then and now?

pretty sure the kherson standoff is still brewing

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Calibanibal posted:

war is gross. full stop.
that's right. we are pro peace and anti-war here. anyone who disagrees can gently caress off

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

At least in online spaces this feels more absolute than the run-up to Iraq. Things got heated for sure but there wasn’t the overwhelming consensus, and there was a lot of vocal opposition even if it turned out to be utterly for naught

I think it's because the casus belli was based on a falsifiable assertion: that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. People don't like being wrong much, so they had to ask themselves "gee, do I really think Iraq has weapons of mass destruction?"

Here it's more about like "under what circumstances should america get involved with a war" which is just an opinion and nobody will ever be embarrassed since any bad thing that happens as a result of our escalation can still be Russia's fault. Even if there's a nuclear war and we launched the first nuke, the worst hypothetical outcome you can think of, you can always insist in the irradiated ruins that Russia just shouldn't have invaded Ukraine if they didn't want to end the world.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

is it considered a pro russia position to say ukraine would be marginally better off being rebuilt as part of the russian federation than getting carved up by the IMF and sold off piecemeal to US business interests?

here, i've drawn a helpful diagram to explain this wild, zany tankie position that i personally do not hold;

like i said, not my personal opinion as i'm certain the good ole US state dept will write off those hundreds of billions in military aid as 'doing a buddy a solid' and happily allow ukraine the freedom (:911:) to democratically govern itself as a sovereign nation.

also, i'm 100% sure a triumphant zelensky's first move will be to immediately decriminalize organized labour and opposition parties and declare an immediate moratorium on pogroming roma as that's just the kind of vibe he's putting out y'know?

I don't think it's worth speculating over. The areas Russia will annex will likely get just as carved up and exploited by Russian oligarchs. I do recall there was a dispute over pensions getting sold out by Poroshenkos government, but the amount of cuts Russia will have to make to reorient itself after the war are going to affect these types of policies as well.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

SplitSoul posted:

Next big shoe to drop is speculated to be either Ukraine attempting to capture Kherson or Russia trying to go in the back door through Belarus with some new army group that is apparently being gathered up there.

Literally nothing of interest has happened since Lyman swapped hands... a month ago? feels like it's been forever.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I fought tooth and nail to keep this loving hellhole closed. But now that we're here lets make the best of it. That means no more hate, no more being rude, no more tankie BULLSHIT. I've been given permission to chain-probate annoying posters and I will exercise that power if need be

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

KomradeX posted:

Unrelated post to the gas question how do people square the idea that Russia is waging a genocidal war on Ukraine with the fact that they keep having prisoner exchanges?

you can just say whatever man. It doesn’t have to be true as long as it shuts down any kind of discussion or critical thinking and in 15 years if we’re all still alive we’ll sort of fuzzily remember having been on the right side

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

does it seem weird to anyone else that we're mostly talking about the war in terms of russia, ukraine and nato/other countries instead of class

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

You know, it hadn’t occurred to me but the conversation in another thread sparked my interest about what I’m going to term Triple Genocide Theory, that German policies in East Africa prefigured the Holocaust. This was in vogue in the 90’s when books came out about Hermann Goering’s father, for example.

The scholarship now, which I guess is the second generation of post-colonial studies, paints a very different picture. Crucially, and this is what I want to draw attention to, it shows that the Germans were not all-powerful colonial overlords and instead came into a situation without much control, much administrative capability, unfolding chaos, and a food supply problem there was no easy solution to. What they did in reaction to that was reprehensible and often criminal, but they didn’t create the situation because they weren’t omniscient and omnipotent.

To be clear - there were widespread famines in German East Africa, German policies often made it worse, and some policies targeted specific groups, or at least, did not extend relief to them.

The difference between the Soviet Archives being opened and not is knowing how much (or indeed how little) information the Soviets had, and how much ability to act. It’s led to reappraisals across whole fields and disciplines, for example the realization the Stalinism presented a sort of executive control that did not actually exist in the bureaucratized USSR, but the popular memory endures. People believed that the Soviets were a towering Totalitarian™️ state, but of course we know now that they were wary of mass politics, the committees and Party handled nearly all of the functions of state, the bureaucracy often did not have the kind of perfect information and total control that it appeared to and so on.

None of this would be apparent to people suffering under it, or writers afterwards. In the case of German East Africa, Prussian Efficiency and Bureaucracy are such strong stereotypes in the English speaking world that there’s been resistance to the idea that they could have possibly been in a situation where they didn’t have much authority, regions and people within their formal borders were outside their control, they were unable to remedy the food supply situation, etc. We think of an all-powerful German state, an all-powerful Soviet state, and so assume all events that transpire within it are under their total control, that they have total information, can act totally, and so in both cases the often very dry and boring records that bear out administrators trying to cope with a situation - and again, often acting reprehensibly - that’s ignored because it doesn’t fit with the English speaking world’s idea of their state power.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Nov 4, 2022

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Azathoth posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Iraq War runup and so much of what is happening in the media feels just like that.

i was aware of it but probably too young to appreciate it, 25% cognisant i would say, which is probably a godsend because if i wasn’t i’d probably have pulled my hair out and gone insane over the past few years especially now

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

speng31b posted:

I'm going to at least post the link to what was said in the old thread so people can see discussion of it is possible without blind insanity if you don't mind. specifically, to my post about how what russia is doing is gross and they say the quiet part out loud about their intentions, but it's also a nighmarish bureaucratic fuckup with few good options

Yeah, Russia is loving up majorly here. I don't know the difficulties and logistics in opening humanitarian corridors for reuniting parents with their children (not to mention coordinating multinationally with different foster systems) but they don't seem to be even trying.

I get that probably nobody signs up to wrangle war orphans unless they're exceptionally idealistic or exceptionally psychotic and that's why you probably shouldn't invade countries on a whim. Somebody needs to handle this poo poo yesterday.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

KomradeX posted:

The long story short is that Russian soldiers heal much more quickly than humans do, they can even regenerate lost limbs. That makes prisoner exchanges a net positive for Putin. Its also my understanding that the exchanges are happening at a 1:10 ratio of Ukraini:Russians , which honestly is a steal for Zelensky

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Azathoth posted:

Listen to all of Blowback, but yeah Season 3 is loving incredible.
make this the top of the OP

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think it's worth speculating over. The areas Russia will annex will likely get just as carved up and exploited by Russian oligarchs. I do recall there was a dispute over pensions getting sold out by Poroshenkos government, but the amount of cuts Russia will have to make to reorient itself after the war are going to affect these types of policies as well.

the difference is russian oligarchs who fall out of favour fall out of windows while american oligarchs dictate domestic policy and political discourse with complete impunity. hence "marginal", a word so often misunderstood (especially when talking about rates of taxation).

corrupt dictators sure are yucky, but i'm sure whatever's left of the roma population will surely welcome an end to ukranian "direct democracy".

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
everyone should apologize and then putin and zelenskyy kiss on national tv

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
full tongue contact or else brandon lets the nukes fly

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jose Mengelez posted:

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah that's kind of my feeling on it as well. I don't think speculating about it is "pro-Russian" in any meaningful sense, but at this point it's basically an angels-dancing-on-the-head-of-a-pin thought experiment. Ukraine's getting hosed by oligarchs from one direction or another (or likely both) no matter what.

I do like the diagram, though - I'll put it in the pics post!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

i was aware of it but probably too young to appreciate it, 25% cognisant i would say, which is probably a godsend because if i wasn’t i’d probably have pulled my hair out and gone insane over the past few years especially now

even if you werent old enough to remember the runup you should still be able to remember the smug liberals selectively rewriting history to pretend they were anti-war the whole time with regards to Iraq and bludgeoning republicans with that baton, and those same people now hooting and hollering for more debasement and bloodshed. more weapons, unlimited weapons, murder the rashists, nuke them, etc.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

the difference is russian oligarchs who fall out of favour fall out of windows while american oligarchs dictate domestic policy and political discourse with complete impunity. hence "marginal", a word so often misunderstood (especially when talking about rates of taxation).

corrupt dictators sure are yucky, but i'm sure whatever's left of the roma population will surely welcome an end to ukranian "direct democracy".

I mean, the number of anti-roma pogroms in russia isn't **zero**. It's mostly a function of how bad things are going in any given european nation.

e: the fact that russia is considerably more prosperous than ukraine will likely be a factor, but also maybe not

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

corrupt dictators sure are yucky

aint that the truth

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Minera posted:

everyone should apologize and then putin and zelenskyy kiss on national tv

When I say "full communism now" aloud and then close my eyes this is what I see.:hai:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

This is why the "happy at Ukraine winning" sentiments are so misguided. There is no good outcome for the average Ukrainian here. Even if Ukraine somehow managed to retake literally all of its former territory with few additional casualties, it'll just become another poor country ruthlessly exploited by the West. The only people standing to benefit are the corrupt leadership/rich, just like in every other similar situation (and in this case said corrupt leadership is also nazi-adjacent at best).

Being in the same position as other Russian federation states is unironically better than that. Russia is also an extremely corrupt country, but it's at least somewhat functional as an independent state. Under the alternative, all of Ukraine's assets/resources get sold off to highest bidder, while its population is exploited as cheap labor (or worse).

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Majorian posted:

Good posts will go here as people suggest them. In the meantime, enjoy some feet:

Even wikifeet is politicized today is nothing sacred?

Sorry but putins feet are better than zelenskys at least from a technical standpoint

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Olena Zelenska says she hopes Musk’s Ukraine peace tweet was ‘chance mistake’

Exclusive: First lady says ‘even smartest people could be influenced by Russian propaganda’

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

speng31b posted:

even if you werent old enough to remember the runup you should still be able to remember the smug liberals selectively rewriting history to pretend they were anti-war the whole time with regards to Iraq and bludgeoning republicans with that baton, and those same people now hooting and hollering for more debasement and bloodshed. more weapons, unlimited weapons, murder the rashists, nuke them, etc.

The big thing about it was like, how obvious it was that iraq didn't have WMDs and you'd have people suggesting completely insane ways they could have them. I remember there was a rush limbaugh thing that got really popular in dallas where I lived where people would say saddam had the nukes strapped to donkeys and was moving them around in the desert with a broom tied to their tail to cover their tracks. I think Limbaugh meant it as like a joke about how much iraq sucked or whatever, but two separate people repeated it to me very seriously as an explanation of how they probably had nukes.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

Sorry but putins feet are better than zelenskys at least from a technical standpoint

putin's are of sturdier construction but lack zelenskyys phalangeal dexterity

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

it'll just become another poor country ruthlessly exploited by the West.
become? it already was. it's not a hot take to say that life for the working people was worse after US did the coup and armed far-right extremists to facilitate IMF gutting pensions, privatizing resources and selling it off piecemeal (i.e. forests/farmland).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

This is why the "happy at Ukraine winning" sentiments are so misguided. There is no good outcome for the average Ukrainian here. Even if Ukraine somehow managed to retake literally all of its former territory with few additional casualties, it'll just become another poor country ruthlessly exploited by the West. The only people standing to benefit are the corrupt leadership/rich, just like in every other similar situation (and in this case said corrupt leadership is also nazi-adjacent at best).

Being in the same position as other Russian federation states is unironically better than that. Russia is also an extremely corrupt country, but it's at least somewhat functional as an independent state. Under the alternative, all of Ukraine's assets/resources get sold off to highest bidder, while its population is exploited as cheap labor (or worse).

The only win condition for both parties of this conflict is a reformation of the USSR including both nations but not including all the weird nationalists currently running russia and ukraine who i guess can all move to canada or england or something

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

I've only listened to Season 1 (Iraq) and a bit of Season 2 which goes over Cuba and the missile crisis.

The bonus eps for season 2 are good. More detail from people there during the revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

speng31b posted:

putin's are of sturdier construction but lack zelenskyys phalangeal dexterity

tank feet vs. dps feet