Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

The big thing about it was like, how obvious it was that iraq didn't have WMDs and you'd have people suggesting completely insane ways they could have them. I remember there was a rush limbaugh thing that got really popular in dallas where I lived where people would say saddam had the nukes strapped to donkeys and was moving them around in the desert with a broom tied to their tail to cover their tracks. I think Limbaugh meant it as like a joke about how much iraq sucked or whatever, but two separate people repeated it to me very seriously as an explanation of how they probably had nukes.

lol that's a pro move, trucks are for losers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Calibanibal posted:

war is gross. full stop.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

The big thing about it was like, how obvious it was that iraq didn't have WMDs and you'd have people suggesting completely insane ways they could have them. I remember there was a rush limbaugh thing that got really popular in dallas where I lived where people would say saddam had the nukes strapped to donkeys and was moving them around in the desert with a broom tied to their tail to cover their tracks. I think Limbaugh meant it as like a joke about how much iraq sucked or whatever, but two separate people repeated it to me very seriously as an explanation of how they probably had nukes.

Lol the mobile biolabs that moved around Iraq’s extensive rail network

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

speng31b posted:

putin's are of sturdier construction but lack zelenskyys phalangeal dexterity

Sure zelensky could play Nintendo with his tootsies but it would be harder to knock putin over which I think is more useful

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it really is all just iraq again, remember when this all started and all the places started renaming anything russian and all other insane dumbass hysteria

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

30.5 Days posted:

tank feet vs. dps feet

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Starsfan posted:

yeah but unlike the Iraq War runup nobody you are likely to ever meet IRL gives a poo poo about this war or your opinion on the war one way or the other. It's only a thing for the terminally online NAFO crowd and certain elements in the media.

**what Raskolnikov said

It ebbs and flows here, largely because of the Deputy PM, and while I know our diplomats and intelligence people are working very hard in Europe and DC, there’s not much we can do independently, hence trying to shift events indirectly. The Deputy Prime Minister’s Office might singlehandedly get Petro Poroshenko out of jail, on their own initiative, in a move basically unprecedented in Canadian politics, but absent increased NATO activity, our military commitment is limited and so, people don’t really care.

I mean, it’s producing a great deal of work, as the M777 is seeing combat, Russian Fire Strikes are being observed etc. it’s producing volumes of literature to sift through, but professional excitement about things like tactics and doctrine has slowed too because contrary to reporting we’re not seeing anything novel, so much as a natural progression from the Georgia War, plus some of the New Generation Warfare concepts and their countermeasures.

Nobody’s looking at a proposed role for Canadian artillery in some Pacific war with China, which seems appropriate, but Ukraine isn’t seen as the future or anything like that. Or at least, not at my desk.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Nov 4, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

HallelujahLee posted:

it really is all just iraq again

For whom?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1588309029691871232?s=20&t=AMunl6JhlCMYhhXM4L-qjA

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

How long will it take to capture Kiev?2 days
Will Volodymyr be killed?Yes
Total Ukrainian civillian casualties:500 dead
Total military casualties Ukraine:3000 dead
Total military casualties Russia:15 dead
Will the Ukrainian army regulars hold the lines?No
Will the Azov Regiment fight to the end?No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?:Yes
Will Volodymyr launch attacks on the Moldovans?Yes
Will Volodymyr launch attacks on Israel?No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly?Yes
Will Volodymir sacrifice Kiev (gas/nuke it)?No
Will the Moldovans make a grab for independence?Yes
Will Belarus do anything silly like try for land?Yes
Will Volodymir burn the oil fields?Yes
How long will the Russia be occupying Ukraine?~15 years
Will the Ukraine war catalyze increased terrorism in Russia?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world?Good

Comments/Thoughts:The most difficult part will be holding Romania and Transnistria back from the Moldovan territories after it's all said and done. I think most Ukrainians will just surrender. Those that don't are most of the 3,000 dead. I expect hardcore troops to launch chemical attacks, but I expect them to have very limited effeciveness.

Edit- drat, I posted, then went back to read everyone else said- why are you all thinking this'll take weeks and weeks and weeks? Even if there's stiff opposition, Russia will be in Kiev 24 hours after the first tank rolls into Ukraine...

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

For whom?

did you even read what i said

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

evilmiera posted:

Maybe someone just decided the flag was very very dirty and needed a wash?

From all the shelling and whatnot.

a competently planned invasion would surely include backup flags to be used on laundry day

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1587569238918811650

speng31b
May 8, 2010

spacemang_spliff posted:

Sure zelensky could play Nintendo with his tootsies but it would be harder to knock putin over which I think is more useful

zelenskyy gonna kite putin all day

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Its time to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler before he can get started. This is our 1939 moment.

Please ignore how literally every attempt by the United States to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler has ended in millions dead and nations in ruins. Those other times were oopsies and not even our fault, the communists were to blame! This time its 100% real.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

pretty sure the kherson standoff is still brewing

You are misidentifying the situation on purpose.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

it really is all just iraq again, remember when this all started and all the places started renaming anything russian and all other insane dumbass hysteria

lmfao that was epic and did not at all make me want to play Ukrainian roulette

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hoooooly gently caress that's harrowing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

putin's are of sturdier construction but lack zelenskyys phalangeal dexterity

Putin's feet look like little kid feet to be honest, that said, Zelensky probably needs need a wider shoe, you can tell looking at his fourth and little toes.

Yes, I am talking about feet now.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

NAFO Proudboy

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Hoooooly gently caress that's harrowing.

her mentions from NAFO are a lot worse, that's just the one she curated to post lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
tatar binks

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

lmfao that was epic and did not at all make me want to play Ukrainian roulette

it was like a replay from 20 years ago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did the something awful mod event have any impact on the war ?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This is why the "happy at Ukraine winning" sentiments are so misguided. There is no good outcome for the average Ukrainian here. Even if Ukraine somehow managed to retake literally all of its former territory with few additional casualties, it'll just become another poor country ruthlessly exploited by the West. The only people standing to benefit are the corrupt leadership/rich, just like in every other similar situation (and in this case said corrupt leadership is also nazi-adjacent at best).

Being in the same position as other Russian federation states is unironically better than that. Russia is also an extremely corrupt country, but it's at least somewhat functional as an independent state. Under the alternative, all of Ukraine's assets/resources get sold off to highest bidder, while its population is exploited as cheap labor (or worse).

The first paragraph is right but I think the second is pretty naive. Ukraine is very unlikely to be in the same position as other Russian federation states - at the risk of starting a 'Russia is/is not imperialist' shitfight I see no way Ukrainians would be treated the same, the war and bloodlust has likely killed many feelings of Russia-Ukraine brotherhood in Russia as well, and the country would need to be heavily policed as a part of Russia.

Also the USA would not take this lying down and do everything it could to make life miserable in Ukraine specifically as a part of Russia. You could say 'well that's the USA's fault and they shouldn't do it', but it's not that much more convincing than saying 'if Putin hadn't invaded none of this would have happened so every bad outcome is his fault'

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

just to clarify, are these discussion threads or actual fronts in a war

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

On the posting front? Absolutely.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Putin's feet look like little kid feet to be honest, that said, Zelensky probably needs need a wider shoe, you can tell looking at his fourth and little toes.

if you wanna kick someone in the shin, sure, go with putin's sturdy stompers. but that'll only get you so far. lil Z has a slight edge in an unobstructed area.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

euphronius posted:

KPIs have gone down so the posting bonus for 100k rubles is unlikely to be achieved

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Ardennes posted:

Yes, I am talking about feet now.

you can take the star from the poster but......

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
no war but post war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My sense, and I’m not a strategist by any means, is that the focus has shifted onto how Western Europe fares this winter, as Ukraine’s fortunes entirely hinge on their support. Destroying the Ukrainian power grid only raised the stakes there as now Europe is further stretched to provide them with electricity and other support, there is a further chance for domestic enthusiasm for Ukraine to flag as the cold sets in.

From a certain point of view there is no use spending Russian lives now to achieve what collapsing European support might do in a few months. Military action becomes less imperative in that case.

Besides the desire to wait, there’s now the need to, as the mud is back and so any stroke worth bearing the price of would have to wait anyways to achieve anything of note.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Its time to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler before he can get started. This is our 1939 moment.

Please ignore how literally every attempt by the United States to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler has ended in millions dead and nations in ruins. Those other times were oopsies and not even our fault, the communists were to blame! This time its 100% real.

That’s a whataboutism you dumb whatabouter

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i can't believe general mud has defected to the russian side

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BGrifter posted:

welcome back pro posters and amateurs alike

post on posters, post on

the noob posters are sent to the front en masse while the pro posters from a second line behind them

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

general benedict mud

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/JamesGRickards/status/1588124915147816960

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Thank goodness that I can now return to my habit of rapidly skimming through the hundreds of daily posts here looking to see if anything actually significant has happened in the war.

Same

I'm still mad they closed the old thread without much explanation, that was handled poorly; there's a lot of people who use that thread for semi real-time information on that's going on over there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oh, by the way, somebody hacked the Danish rail system this weekend and apparently our critical rail infrastructure is dependent on an app.