Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Edward Mass posted:

OK, something odd has just happened. I have a deactivated Paramount+ subscription and I was trying to see if I could use a promo code to get another free month, but when I signed in it acted like I had an active account. The thing is, under "Paramount+ Plan" on the account page, the space is blank. My email doesn't have any mention of renewed subscription, and my bank account hasn't been hit. Does anyone know what's up?

I had a similar issue with Paramount+.

I signed up through Apple TV channels a year or so ago but turned the sub off because I wasn't using it at the time.

Paramount+ has a thing where you can sign into with your Apple ID if you signed up for it through Apple TV channels. While I cannot watch it through Apple TV anymore, I can however, still login to the Paramount+ with those credentials and watch it despite not having an active membership. It's ad-free too! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Edward Mass posted:

OK, something odd has just happened. I have a deactivated Paramount+ subscription and I was trying to see if I could use a promo code to get another free month, but when I signed in it acted like I had an active account. The thing is, under "Paramount+ Plan" on the account page, the space is blank. My email doesn't have any mention of renewed subscription, and my bank account hasn't been hit. Does anyone know what's up?

If it’s like Netflix, they keep your deactivated account around so you’ll get your watchlist back if you sign up again. I’m guessing the feature to prevent logins when your account is deactivated just wasn’t a high enough priority to get done. As long as you can’t watch anything it’s just a non-optimal user experience from their point of view, not an issue costing them money.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

On the other hand AMC+ just let me keep using their service for free for over a month, after the free trial expired.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had a similar issue with Paramount+.

I signed up through Apple TV channels a year or so ago but turned the sub off because I wasn't using it at the time.

Paramount+ has a thing where you can sign into with your Apple ID if you signed up for it through Apple TV channels. While I cannot watch it through Apple TV anymore, I can however, still login to the Paramount+ with those credentials and watch it despite not having an active membership. It's ad-free too! :)

Well, Paramount's loss I guess! Time to visit some Strange New Worlds.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh weird, it’s actually letting you stream stuff on a deactivated account?

Basically this is the reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OnoxKotPQ

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hot take: "free with ads" is not fuckin free.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hot take: "free with ads" is not fuckin free.

It is with adblockers

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

God Forbid the doc about Jerry Fallwell Jr and the pool boy is actually not a sketchy or exploitative as I thought it might be. Just about a kid being manipulated by two Christian monsters and now coming forward to clear the air. And it's only a movie knstead of a bloated six part series!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

God Forbid the doc about Jerry Fallwell Jr and the pool boy is actually not a sketchy or exploitative as I thought it might be. Just about a kid being manipulated by two Christian monsters and now coming forward to clear the air. And it's only a movie knstead of a bloated six part series!

yeah it's really good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’ve noticed Prime is getting more insistent about pointing you to Freevee and/or the sub channels you have to pay for separately. Not making enough on Prime membership I guess?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I’ve noticed Prime is getting more insistent about pointing you to Freevee and/or the sub channels you have to pay for separately. Not making enough on Prime membership I guess?

Yeah, it seems like they've pushed the majority of their streaming library to Freevee and keeping Prime for their largely lackluster original content.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I just gave up on Amzn Prime and will let it expire in December after what seems like 20 straight years. There was nothing left to watch and anything new they may have brewing can wait a few years.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah you're right it sucks now :( I used to love it

I just wanted another fortitude

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
They have Columbo, so there's that

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i never watched that before

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

i never watched that before

Do yourself a favor and check out an episode or two.

It's a detective show, but it flips the murder mystery formula on it's head. Instead of being fed clues that you are supposed to figure out and guess who the killer is, the show shows you exactly who the killer is and how they committed the murder right up front. The fun of the show is in watching Columbo, who is one of the most entertaining characters in t.v. history, piece things together and box the suspect in until he eventually catches them or gets them to confess.

It's one of the best formulas that episodic t.v. ever came up with. It's also a show that knew exactly what it was pretty much right away so if you watch two or three episodes and you're not liking it, you can drop it right there. It's not one of those "oh you have to give it a season or two to find it's footing" shows.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Columbo also has incredible stunt casting for the murderers. Dick Van Dyke! Johnny Cash! Fisher Stevens as Steven Spielberg (but a murderer)!

There's also an episode with José Ferrer, Jessica Walters, and Robbie The Robot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Colombo's great, yeah, binged most of the early seasons during the lockdown. A huge part of the appeal for me, other than the abovementioned stuff, is just the vibes/aesthetic/celebrity guests of the 70s. great Leonard Nimoy guest spot among others.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If I may add a bit to Basebf555's description, another great bit of brilliance with Columbo is that the murderers are almost always upper class amorals who are killing for material benefit, and Columbo is specifically coded as working class and basically as far from a cop as a cop can be (he doesn't carry a gun). The episodes play with this dynamic and it's always very entertaining.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Does anything modern come close to the satisfaction of Columbo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea for sure if you're into the whole 70s aesthetic and you're fond of a lot of that era's character actors, that's another huge reason to watch the show.

Like, I don't care what the show is, if you tell me I'm gonna see Donald Pleasance as an arrogant winery owner, I'm gonna watch it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Columbo just might be the greatest television character of all time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

"oh and one more thing..." might be the best character tagline of all time.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

They have Columbo, so there's that

I can get Columbo on Peacock! My tv shows were basically down to this and I can wait to finish a 3rd lap through the Expanse (fell off mid S4).

It looks like you don't need a Prime sub to watch X Files, Rockford or Columbo anyway since it's on Freevee. :meh:

Almost all the movies I had saved all are unavailable/somewhere else now anyway.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Baron von Eevl posted:

Columbo also has incredible stunt casting for the murderers. Dick Van Dyke! Johnny Cash! Fisher Stevens as Steven Spielberg (but a murderer)!

There's also an episode with José Ferrer, Jessica Walters, and Robbie The Robot.

Also the curious guy, Spielberg directed the first Columbo episode.

Others notable murderers: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Martin Landau, Roddy McDowal, Robert Cup, John Cassavetes, Patrick McGoohan, Robert Vaughn, Ricardo Montalban.

I could talk about Columbo all day,

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Columbo is my favorite “new to me” tv show of the last three years. Even when the episodes are boring Falk is still incredible.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Quit spoiling it how am I supposed to guess that shatner is the murderer now

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Probably from the opening of the episode where they show Shatner murking a dude, probably while mispronouncing "sabotage."

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the only "mysteries" in Columbo are:

1. how arrogant, somewhat clever but ultimately dumb the perps are
2. how badly Columbo will humiliate them in the last 10 minutes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The best episodes are the ones where Columbo knows who did it within ten seconds of arriving and just spends the whole episode trolling the suspect and letting them trip themselves up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My favorite episode is the one with Dick Van Dyke because it so expertly closes every avenue to Columbo until he has to make a desperation play. He almost meets his match but, of course, knows what he has to do to get his target to incriminate themselves.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Columbo is my favorite “new to me” tv show of the last three years. Even when the episodes are boring Falk is still incredible.

Same. Not really my kind of show at all at a glace but I gave it a chance and Falk is so charming, and the guest stars I know of have been fun. I watched the Nimoy episode last week and he did a great job of being an rear end in a top hat I hated him!! Spock why

Also I like how sometimes the same guest stars are back in other episodes, like Robert Vaughn.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Every single killer on Columbo would get away with it if they just remembered that it was Shut the gently caress Up Friday, and they never do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't given up on prime because they still keep letting my do free trials without ever paying lmao

This is going on like 4 years of that

I haven't even had to change the card number or my login. I just keep clicking the button lol

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yay! An opportunity to cross post this masterpiece

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Modern Leper posted:

:lol: at Columbo calling in to Frasier's show with his one more question.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Got around to Do Revenge. Amazing 90s send-up. Literally the only gripe I have with it is she went too far for that last-minute make-up to work. Everything else was fair game, but the cliched speech being sincere and working after her mother's life was threatened and the vehicular assault took me right out of the movie.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chas McGill posted:

Does anything modern come close to the satisfaction of Columbo?
Rian Johnson is making a TV series starring Natasha Lyonne as a Columbo-type, called Poker Face, but it's not coming out for a while.

Amazon Prime has The Peripheral which I haven't watched yet, but the book it's based on is pretty great and I've heard lots of people praising it. Also, The White Lotus season 2 is starting up on HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Thank you, this owns.