Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

So they plan to launch it a day after finishing the code?

That’s going to be a shitshow

They are also getting rid of something like half of the backend infrastructure. They won't have much of a choice but to skip all those wasteful smoke tests, canaries and gradual rollouts. You might as well just deploy and pray at that point. What else are you going to do, just wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CharlestheHammer posted:

So they plan to launch it a day after finishing the code?

That’s going to be a shitshow

And if earlier reports are to be believed, three days after he fires 50% of his staff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Musk is desperate for cash if he’s pushing it this hard.

And it won’t make that much a difference anyway

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I hope there's some catastrophic bug that does something like ban every verified account.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

I hope there's some catastrophic bug that does something like ban every verified account.

The silver lining is that every single hacker in the world, no matter the color of their hat, is going to be running this thing through the wringer 24/7. So I am looking forward to a period of unusual calm for the rest of the internet.

edit:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Perhaps. More likely he just wants to prove the haters wrong by turning this ship around in record time.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 4, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Elon's going to offer his fans the chance to pay to work for him at Twitter HQ.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

CharlestheHammer posted:

Every insane solution would still only be a literal drop in the bucket just on twitter’s debt right now, let alone making any kind of profit. And that’s before losing advertisers or alienating celebrities by letting people slide into their DMs. Not to mention that’s assuming every user will pay for this garbage, which they won’t. It’s the stupid logic of “I have millions of users, if each pay me a dollar I’ll have millions”, it’s basing your business decisions on what you want to happen, without even allowing that it might not.

And all of that is not even counting the fact that he’s literally now insulting his customers constantly for daring to even consider not thinking it’s genius and throwing money at the poor billionaire, a strategy that has historically always worked out great for companies.

It’s amazing that he had months to come up with some plan, any plan, and instead decided to crowdsource it over the period of a week. How anyone can see him as a genius is just completely baffling to me but I love having a front row seat to this incredible clusterfuck and I look forward to whatever insanity is going to happen over the next few days.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

My first idea, lets half rear end the code handling payment processing and databases

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol they're going to revive VINE.

I can't loving believe it.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Steadiman posted:

It’s amazing that he had months to come up with some plan, any plan, and instead decided to crowdsource it over the period of a week. How anyone can see him as a genius is just completely baffling to me but I love having a front row seat to this incredible clusterfuck and I look forward to whatever insanity is going to happen over the next few days.

It's better than that, most of this stuff is things he suggested months ago while just posturing about the deal, this nonsense is his advance planning

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Ellon: "Free speech must reign free! Everyone should have a chance to do and say as they please!"

Advertisers: *Homersimpsonbushesgifinreverse.gif

Elong: "No, not like that."

vaginite posted:

My first idea, lets half rear end the code handling payment processing and databases
Since they're not going ahead with actual ID verification, at least getting your credit card numbers stolen is a lot of better than getting your ID stolen or passport info sold to criminals.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
oops, edit/quote mixup.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Big day for spam

https://twitter.com/tsrandall/status/1588337152563113985?s=20&t=MNxXFf9UuG1bMhFq-50IAg

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lets not poo poo on the only good part of this

Its still hilarious to me that he just got an a bender and signed a legally binding shitpost to purchase Twitter

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/anthony/status/1588330366791819271

Scratching my head trying to think of ways in which Elong could have somehow handled any of this worse

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"You! Employee... uhm... Carol, what is this one's name?"

"#311 sir."

"#311, I understand you have been working for 80 hours straight at this point on project CoolBeansX. That's great. Anyway I had a dream last night that it wouldn't work, so we are going to pivot to my new concept. I haven't picked a name yet, but this one is WAY cooler. Full team meeting in 20 minutes. Go tell the other ones to assemble"

"Carol, where is my "special container"?

"Here sir."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1588327896120430595?s=46&t=MYFrNn0X4Eh0ZMuJDMpRKg

Seems like the most professional way to handle this that would cause the least morale loss definitely

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Wellwinds posted:

It's better than that, most of this stuff is things he suggested months ago while just posturing about the deal, this nonsense is his advance planning

Elmo is surely the greatest business genius in history. And yes, my phone autocorrects his name to Elmo and I’m leaving it that way

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Aramis posted:

They are also getting rid of something like half of the backend infrastructure. They won't have much of a choice but to skip all those wasteful smoke tests, canaries and gradual rollouts. You might as well just deploy and pray at that point. What else are you going to do, just wait?

You're forgetting, Musk will be code reviewing it himself, so it will be perfect and ready for live once he hits approve.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Steadiman posted:

Elmo is surely the greatest business genius in history. And yes, my phone autocorrects his name to Elmo and I’m leaving it that way

They both have fake fur, but Elmo's looks better

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
just sit back and watch this poo poo burn to the ground

not too many opportunities to see a billionaire gently caress up this badly

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

sticksy posted:

https://twitter.com/anthony/status/1588330366791819271

Scratching my head trying to think of ways in which Elong could have somehow handled any of this worse

lmao holy poo poo elon sucks so much rear end

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thank you.
Twitter

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Please check your spam folder to find the "you're fired" email

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

kazil posted:

Please check your spam folder to find the "you're fired" email

You’ll recognize it, the subject line is “happy holidays from your former Twitter family”.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does your employer even have your personal email address? Don’t think mine does.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
jfc christ twittrer may go offline tomorrw and we'll have to post withwords and poo poo

get out the loving dictionary grandmas

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

I was expecting maybe two weeks to a month before he started yanking copper out of the walls for rent.

I guess that line of thinking is just why I’m not one of the richest men on the planet!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Doug Sisk posted:

You're forgetting, Musk will be code reviewing it himself, so it will be perfect and ready for live once he hits approve.

the thought of Musk heading into a code review and seeing a bunch of weird Scala monads makes me smile

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

smackfu posted:

Does your employer even have your personal email address? Don’t think mine does.

My like recruiter does. I have no idea if that lives on somewhere

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

smackfu posted:

I know I had to have a personal address associated with me for stuff that took place during the hiring process before I was officially an employee with an active employee account. As far as I know, it's still listed in my account somewhere as an alternate contact point.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It’s musk doing it so the launch will be the digital equivalent of a wet fart, but this could actually be a good idea if done properly, by competent people.

Users (for some reason) clearly love the short video format of TikTok. An alternative that isn’t CCP spyware could be a success, especially since it’s still possible for TikTok to be legislated out of the App Store. Whether they’re actually going to ban TikTok is another question, legislators have been talking about it without any actual result for a while.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

King Carnivore posted:

It’s musk doing it so the launch will be the digital equivalent of a wet fart, but this could actually be a good idea if done properly, by competent people.

Users (for some reason) clearly love the short video format of TikTok. An alternative that isn’t CCP spyware could be a success, especially since it’s still possible for TikTok to be legislated out of the App Store. Whether they’re actually going to ban TikTok is another question, legislators have been talking about it without any actual result for a while.

You know what is interesting about this is I wonder how much musk is working with right-wing elements to lobby the banning of tick tock while simultaneously attempting to revive vine. Obviously it hasn't happened yet under Joe Biden but it's still being talked about however under trump it was talked about quite a bit more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can’t believe he didn’t even sign the “there will be layoffs tomorrow” email. What a jellyfish.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
My uncle is 100% sure he is going to be able to buy a CyberTruck soon and argued adamantly about it at family dinner.

I was drunk enough to make a bet that I would buy a single TSLA share, and hold for 5 months since he was so sure going to the moon and all.

To back out makes me a coward, but uh, I'm not an idiot. I'll just play poker or something next time with him to keep my honor.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You know what is interesting about this is I wonder how much musk is working with right-wing elements to lobby the banning of tick tock while simultaneously attempting to revive vine. Obviously it hasn't happened yet under Joe Biden but it's still being talked about however under trump it was talked about quite a bit more.

Ah this is a good point. I thought bringing vine back is a moronic idea because they can't compete with tiktok but this would do it

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Based Elon is cratering Twitter and folks...... It rules

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

big black turnout posted:

Ah this is a good point. I thought bringing vine back is a moronic idea because they can't compete with tiktok but this would do it

Trump's idiotic crusade against TikTok was absolutely gonna run into a brick wall in the court system. Luckily for Trump some other events happened that made everyone forget his bluster about forcing TikTok to sell itself to a US company for a dollar.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

https://twitter.com/markmobility/status/1588273055524347904

Would you believe... $16 for Blue? He'll be back up to $20.

Reminder. He's been at this A WEEK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Tbf if I could afford to buy Facebook and whimsically layoff staff by the hundreds whenever the mood hit me I absolutely would.