Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think people need to define what they mean by "imperialist" (or come up with another term). In this content, the term is almost always used to attempt to draw some sort of parallel with the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

speng31b posted:

yeah, it's almost like dirty bombs aren't real and never have been. makes ya think

Oh yeah, then why is pripyat so irradiated?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You'll find all the dirty bombs you want in tankie pamps

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

CODChimera posted:

so when is the next russian offensive? how are those conscripts doing?

The camera cut away from Russia and has been on the SomethingAwful arc for a while now. Don't expect much development until this gets resolved.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think people need to define what they mean by "imperialist" (or come up with another term). In this content, the term is almost always used to attempt to draw some sort of parallel with the US.

it's when an empire does something, hth

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nix Panicus posted:

Its very funny to me that Ukraine spent so much effort on destroying all the bridges across the Dnieper and now their counter attack is never going to get off the ground because someone blew up all the bridges across the Dnieper. Really looking forward to the upcoming narrative shift to where it was Russia that blew up the bridges to avoid having to face the might of Ukraine

Well, they wouldn't need bridges across the Dnieper, that said, I don't think all of them were destroyed either. That it was also odd that the Russians made a giant panic about the dam being destroyed, to the point of near certainity, and there hasn't been a peep about it for a week.

Maybe the Russians were just working off bad intel, but the end, it didn't matter. (That or the Ukrainians had planned a larger assault that now is on hold.)

I wonder if it just was the result of the Kerch bridge attack being not what the Ukrainians want and along with everything else, it got put on hiatus.

There is chaos in war, but this one is a real odd duck. Also, there has very minimal movements going back and forth for a week.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
can someone make it their gimmick to post D&D battlemaps of orcs vs human paladins with analysis on the war. I always wanted that for the old thread but I'm too poo poo a poster to do it

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

speng31b posted:

it's when an empire does something, hth

How many empires exist in the world right now?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ytlaya posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fraKCzza0To

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7tHRm8GS8R0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vhdcnQZf3fo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv6f3lplUf8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-kiLApX8FbQ

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7EA6zxj2e-U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oBYVmnMFMtA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHew1ozkM1w

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
first post

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

How many empires exist in the world right now?

all of them

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

can someone make it their gimmick to post D&D battlemaps of orcs vs human paladins with analysis on the war. I always wanted that for the old thread but I'm too poo poo a poster to do it

you're not allowed to talk about d&d

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

speng31b posted:

all of them

First sensible post you've made.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
The United States is not an empire lol. Jesus Christ what am I even reading. Uh hello? We literally took no land in Iraq. Or Vietnam. Or anywhere! We never took any land from anyone.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Imperialism is a state of mind

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

speng31b posted:

5th ed is pretty good

E: poo poo!!

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
But for real. Russia is an empire.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

The big thing about it was like, how obvious it was that iraq didn't have WMDs and you'd have people suggesting completely insane ways they could have them. I remember there was a rush limbaugh thing that got really popular in dallas where I lived where people would say saddam had the nukes strapped to donkeys and was moving them around in the desert with a broom tied to their tail to cover their tracks. I think Limbaugh meant it as like a joke about how much iraq sucked or whatever, but two separate people repeated it to me very seriously as an explanation of how they probably had nukes.

Remember the mobile weapons lab, or that he shipped them all off to Syria and any number of endless Tom Clancy explanations that were given

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Well, they wouldn't need bridges across the Dnieper, that said, I don't think all of them were destroyed either. That it was also odd that the Russians made a giant panic about the dam being destroyed, to the point of near certainity, and there hasn't been a peep about it for a week.

Panick is a bit of an exaggeration. Ukrainians have been shooting at it for a while and Russians decided that they weren't going to bother defending it and just take precautions for the possible eventuality of it breaking.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

First sensible post you've made.

the thread has had this debate 3 times before and each time, after much hemming and hawwing, has very seriously decided that "imperalism is best defined as when an empire does a bad thing." don't point at me i'm just the lorekeeper here.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Nix Panicus posted:

Its time to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler before he can get started. This is our 1939 moment.

Please ignore how literally every attempt by the United States to intervene on the world stage to stop the next Hitler has ended in millions dead and nations in ruins. Those other times were oopsies and not even our fault, the communists were to blame! This time its 100% real.

Every time we intervene to stop the next Hitler we are stopping the holocaust. 1 million dead in Iraq, more like 9 million saved from Sadam Adolf Hussain, checkmate.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

5th ed is pretty good

E: poo poo!!

mods !!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

Every time we intervene to stop the next Hitler we are stopping the holocaust. 1 million dead in Iraq, more like 9 million saved from Sadam Adolf Hussain, checkmate.

More like Saddam Insane.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

speng31b posted:

the thread has had this debate 3 times before and each time, after much hemming and hawwing, has very seriously decided that "imperalism is best defined as when an empire does a bad thing." don't point at me i'm just the lorekeeper here.

I was just banting.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
I'm into Saddamism and Maoschism

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
That Qusay game too strong

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

speng31b posted:

begs the question, what is an empire?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

uncop posted:

You could slightly oversimplify it as self-perpetuating dependence. You start from a position where dependence relations between nations have become pretty one-sided, there's no equal exchange of favors between them but instead one expects the other to give tribute to it in some form, in exchange for not messing with it in some serious fashion. The favors demanded, in turn, are calculated to perpetuate the existing dependence relation and produce new ones.

The pre-capitalist form was principally a military dependence similar to the dependence relation within tributary societies between their state and population: the obviously superior military force demands the other to pay them what they want in exchange for not loving their poo poo up and defending them from rivals instead. It worked in the Americas because the native peoples either weren't very organized or their societies happened to be in disarray, so a small force was enough to get a snowball effect going. To do the same for most other places, technology had to develop to the point where some countries could build these naval forces that could function autonomously far away and for long periods of time, blockade countries and bombard their trade hubs. This imperialism was pre-capitalist because the tribute it extracted was for consumption rather than production. Of course it enabled capitalism to quickly develop within and around the empires because they were spending like crazy and hungry for goods from anyone who could supply them.

Capitalist economic relations altered the field by creating the world economy. Countries were no longer mostly autarkic, trading mainly for convenience and luxury, each was dependent on imports for basic necessities or their production. The autarky used to be why e.g. China could tell the British to piss off, confident that since the British couldn't invade, there was nothing they could do that would have been worse than submission. But yeah, so the world economy emerged from the context of pre-capitalist imperialism, where countries had been divided into "workshops of the world" turbocharged by free stuff shipped in, courtesy of genocidal below-subsistence slave labor, on one side, and those that still mostly subsisted off of tribute from peasants on the other. At this point trade and investment became the primary lever of dependence.

Imperialism started to become more about entering countries to invest in the cheap labor power of their poor populations and sell exotic manufactured products to their wealthier people, independent producers extracting wealth from supply and demand imbalances. Eventually it started dawning to empires that keeping a military presence on dependent countries wasn't paying for itself anymore since economic dependence was doing the heavy lifting. A close enough effect could be had by denying them the ability to produce things things they needed for for consumption or export, forcing them to subsist off of selling cheap and buying dear. Being able to threaten naval blockade and bombing of productive infrastructure was typically weapon enough if force of arms was needed. People used to think they could escape imperialism by expelling the militaries and officials of the colonists, but that wasn't the case anymore. There were only two ways out, striving for an industrial autarky under a blockade and denial of foreign investment (the Soviet & early PRC way) or finding some weak point in the structure of the global system that could enable them to force foreign investors to serve the independent rather than the dependent development of their economy (South Korea, Taiwan, modern China).

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
reading the godawful QCS thread (rather, it started it out good, but then descended into the exact kind of moralistic slapfighting it was meant to address) I was suddenly reminded of Thucydides' Melian Dialogue. It looks to me that what I'd vaguely describe as the anti-Ukranians, of which this thread is a decent example, resembles the Athenian, 'realist' position that understands politics and warfare as fundamentally determined by raw, naked power, while the moralistic Melian position - preferring death in defeat over life in negotiated surrender - can be recognised in the more loud voices in the Western pro-Ukrainians (not to mention the Ukrainians themselves, once you've found yourselves in an existential life-or-death struggle you can hardly interpret the conflict in any other manner). Interesting to know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHOqjMHwY

oscarthewilde has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Nov 4, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

im going to start syqing d&d

monster manual, players handbook, all of it. that'll show em

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also it's actually a Russian false flag

https://twitter.com/ukraine_world/status/1587785651277144067

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Imperialism is when a country coups the democratically elected leadership of a different country, installs fascists, then takes advantage of an ethnic minority noping out of the sudden shift to fascism to stoke nationalism and paranoia as a lead up to expanding a military alliance in order to have a better vantage point to harass a geopolitical rival

Imperialism is when you take actions to defend an ethnic enclave that has been under siege for eight years in violation of international treaty and to stop the expansion of a hostile military alliance into a neighboring country

Imperialism is also when you way the gently caress overshoot that goal and decide first on some nebulous 'regime change' and then on as much land as you can grab with the plan for how to govern that territory to be determined later.

Imperialism is *not* when a geopolitical power uses its influence and control over the international banking system to try and force its rivals into compliance

Imperialism *is* when a nation uses control over its own natural resources as a bargaining chip to try and force its rivals into compliance.

In short, imperialism is very complicated.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

GURPS is OK though

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

oscarthewilde posted:

reading the godawful QCS thread (rather, it started it out good, but then descended into the exact kind of moralistic slapfighting it was meant to address) I was suddenly reminded of Thucydides' Melian Dialogue. It looks to me that CSPAM has taken the Athenian, 'realist' position that understands politics and warfare as fundamentally determined by raw, naked power, while the moralistic Melian position - preferring death in defeat over life in negotiated surrender - can be recognised in the more loud voices in GBS and DND. Interesting to know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHOqjMHwY

It's an interesting question, and I appreciate you posting the video - but remember, we're not talking about GBS or another other forum in this thread!:)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Panick is a bit of an exaggeration. Ukrainians have been shooting at it for a while and Russians decided that they weren't going to bother defending it and just take precautions for the possible eventuality of it breaking.

They supposedly gave up on it at one point, but it is unclear if they actually stopped trying to repair it or not. There are also other bridges/pontoons/ferries etc, and it seems the Russians are able to get in and out enough to bring in pre-fab bunkers.

It may simply be that the gamble didn't work out as hope and there were simply too many interlocking factors: from the Kerch bridge still being up, a change of the weather, the Russians being well entrenched, infrastructure damage to transportation etc etc that it didn't pencil out.

On the other hand, there hasn't been much movement if not at all from the Russians. No real clear sign of an offensive on their part. Basically, it is back and forth trading, people are dying but there isn't much territory trading hands.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Corky Romanovsky posted:

GURPS is OK though

The GURPS historical books are annoyingly well researched and written for a game not intended for anyone to play.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

GURPS is OK though

Roll 3 times on table 164-3c: War Crime Accusations, and take the highest result.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I don't remember if it was GURPS or not but I found a campaign module set during the Fall of Constantinople. That was pretty fun.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
Anyone excited about the fact that world war 3 has started? Because it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
D&D: Out of the QCS

the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark admin Jeffrey of YOSPOS, Arch admin of the dead and gay casts a foul spell meant to suppress the magical energy that suffuses the subforums and tears open portals to the demonic leper's colony. What posts through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the somethingawful escalates and threatens to shake the forums to its foundations. Stop the posting war before it consumes you!