Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wait a minute... That card...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

bows1 posted:

dang it I finally beat the Museum Boss (the Artist) first phase without a death and was so excited I totally fuckin blew it on the second phase and I didnt get the age I wanted.

At least her second phase is much much easier

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

FireWorksWell posted:

At least her second phase is much much easier

thats what makes it so painful to fuckin blow it ! !

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:suicide:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Bioshock Infinite went from being considered one of the greatest games of all time with a mind blowing ending to being largely panned and hated over the course of what felt like a week, maybe a month since launch at the most.

Unless you're just talking about a specific subsection of goons I think your memory is indeed hazy. I don't remember the shine wearing off of that one until at least the end of 2013, which I feel is was a turning point year for how theme and subtext in games started to be viewed critically as it is today. TLOU was also a part of this convo and came out in the same window.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

Well I could not use the g-sync capabilities anyway! :)

At least I can output to 1440p natively now and it looks fantastic.

IIRC it doesn't work with Freesync either, just HDMI VRR which is generally only on TVs not monitors

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Finally, a smart game for smart gamers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Policenaut posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Good Skyrim joke at least

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I think something that hurts BS:I’s reputation in retrospect is the dev cycle for it was a complete nightmare, and the conclusion of the game was Ken Levine firing everyone because he felt he made his magnum opus and nobody else needed jobs anymore.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Made it to challenge level 5 of Kaycee's Mod, this poo poo is addictive and I am way better at it than I used to be.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't recall poo poo about bioshock infinite outside of being pretty glad when it was over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

I can't recall poo poo about bioshock infinite outside of being pretty glad when it was over.

Half way through they shift to another dimension where the blacks and irish are the real villians

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Half way through they shift to another dimension where the blacks and irish are the real villians

It's probably in its best interest that Infinite is forgotten, if it got a critical reappraisal today it would get torn to shreds

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I remember being actively pissed off while I was finishing Bioshock Infinite and considering it the worst game I've ever completed. At this point I don't actually remember much about it but I do remember everyone hyping up how Elizabeth was the most well-written, fully realized female character ever in a video game and then it turned out she's both insanely powerful and also needs a Regular rear end White Dude to save her and her role is mostly throwing me coins and ammo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I feel like Bioshock Infinite having a nonsense ending wouldn't be as big a deal if the combat had kept upping the ante, but I think around the midway point you've seen everything interesting about encounter design and plasmid powers and such that you're going to

That's also right around when the plot goes completely off the rails, like every aspect if the game's design just gave up simultaneously

Also the twist that an older version of you is the villain is not only hack bullshit, but they try to disguise it by going "oh um that version of you sounds like a totally different voice actor because ummm magic radiation" and I feel like thats the moment the game went from kinda bad to funny bad

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I played bioshock infinite for the first time this year. It was entertaining enough, and I stopped playing at the point you start trying to buy guns for the black slaves cos the checkpoint system is awful, and I ended up having to replay a huge set piece fight I'd already won, and just couldn't be hosed. I don't know if that says more about the game or about 2022 tho really.

It is transparently of that ps3 era of 'spectacular poo poo going on all around you, but you're just on rails (literally, in the case of bioshock) shooting at dudes in the foreground' gaming. Kind of awe inspiring until you recognise the artifice of it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

On-rails turret segments were the bane of the PS360 generation, every big game had to have some dumbass sequence where like Commander Shepard or Chris Redfield got on a vehicle to shoot at A Big Thing and you're expected to just put up with it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I miss those sections tbh

Where my BEACH HEAD 2000 people at

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Holy poo poo that’s a throwback.

Favourite ‘turret’ sequence is max Payne 3 at the airport on the tarmac and this is playing

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh god, yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pulcinella posted:

Bioshock Infinite went from being considered one of the greatest games of all time with a mind blowing ending to being largely panned and hated over the course of what felt like a week, maybe a month since launch at the most. (Though my memory might be hazy. Also there were people at the time who thought it was bad from the start.)

It does indeed sound like they improved enemy variety, which was a big complaint of mine. Also it sounds like the side quests are greatly improved and far more meaningful (no dude I don’t want to help you find the bones of your dead wife, especially when you said they could be literally any where, and that she was an evil witch. Also my kid and I are obviously right in the middle of something!). Also the fact that GoW Ragnarok is the conclusion of the story and actually has the important characters makes it far more compelling. Coming to GoW 2018 far after release in the lead up to Ragnarok, the 2018 game really just feels like a prologue and setup for this game. You spend a lot of time fighting a bunch of bit players in the 2018 game.

It's politics are a complete mess.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

it's wild that this short description is so accurate. libertarians, man, the fuckin brains on them.

Wolfsheim posted:

I feel like Bioshock Infinite having a nonsense ending wouldn't be as big a deal if the combat had kept upping the ante, but I think around the midway point you've seen everything interesting about encounter design and plasmid powers and such that you're going to

That's also right around when the plot goes completely off the rails, like every aspect if the game's design just gave up simultaneously

Also the twist that an older version of you is the villain is not only hack bullshit, but they try to disguise it by going "oh um that version of you sounds like a totally different voice actor because ummm magic radiation" and I feel like thats the moment the game went from kinda bad to funny bad

it's true that a lot of heinous and racist poo poo is overlooked if gamefeel and mechanics are pleasurable. the COD devs know it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I played Bioshock in order for the first time during the first month of Covid lockdown and I thought the series got worse as it went, but the drop from 2 to infinite was much more massive compared from 1 to 2. Everything that made the series fun was taken out (seriously, only carrying two weapons was dumb as hell), and the plot did not age well at all. It felt like it was Bioshock only in name. I think someone said it’s much better with the DLC, but it was such a slog I wasn’t going to bother. Such as shame after how hyped it was in early release and how good the first two are.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

I think someone said it’s much better with the DLC

whoever said that had been sent by the devil to destroy you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2 is the one where people liked the DLC, absolutely everyone hated the Infintie DLC

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The Initial city reveal of Bioshock Infinite is really cool, then you get to the racism baseball show.

The ghost boss fight was also terribly unfun.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I played that off some CD full of shareware and warez my friend gave me and going by the name I thought it was going to be, saucy

alas

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Bioshock 1 was pretty cool. That was the first game I saw on a 360, next gen gaming was crazy with that plane crash at the beginning.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Dewgy posted:

I think something that hurts BS:I’s reputation in retrospect is the dev cycle for it was a complete nightmare, and the conclusion of the game was Ken Levine firing everyone because he felt he made his magnum opus and nobody else needed jobs anymore.

It’s probably one of the few non-FromSoft games I would like to actually see the cut content for (though with how the released game’s politics turned out, maybe not). You see some of the old in-development footage and it’s just like “guys this is fine, just put it into the game.” There is probably at least another game or two worth of development work that was never released. Talk about destroying a franchise. Though I guess Dead Slace 3 also killed that franchise but the first one is still well regarded enough to get that remake that is coming out, so maybes Bioshock 1 will get remade some day.

One of my pet peeves with Infinite is that there is a gear system (basically equipable loot) that has obvious skill synergies, but since the gear you get going through the game is entirely random, you can’t work towards a specific build or play style.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I and pretty much most of the goons posting in the Hitman thread got into the Freelancer Technical Test that's running right now. It's on Steam but progress doesn't carry over anyway, also my PC doesn't run it as well as my PS5, so that's fun.

The short of it: Rogue-lite Hitman is good, it changes things up, and maintains a good flow between missions.

The objectives it gives you often have you deviate from the perfect silent assassin run, even asking you to kill guards and other non-targets sometimes. I've run into different item and npc placements, sometimes it makes your starting point rather difficult so you have to improvise, etc. Really gets one out of the usual rut that's easy to fall into with the base game.

It is a bit tough at first when you just have a single pistol with no silencer, making some objectives impossible to complete, but after acquiring new toys over 4 or 5 missions it gets into a really nice spot, although maybe I was just lucky. I'm really looking forward to the full release.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Brightman posted:

I and pretty much most of the goons posting in the Hitman thread got into the Freelancer Technical Test that's running right now. It's on Steam but progress doesn't carry over anyway, also my PC doesn't run it as well as my PS5, so that's fun.

The short of it: Rogue-lite Hitman is good, it changes things up, and maintains a good flow between missions.

The objectives it gives you often have you deviate from the perfect silent assassin run, even asking you to kill guards and other non-targets sometimes. I've run into different item and npc placements, sometimes it makes your starting point rather difficult so you have to improvise, etc. Really gets one out of the usual rut that's easy to fall into with the base game.

It is a bit tough at first when you just have a single pistol with no silencer, making some objectives impossible to complete, but after acquiring new toys over 4 or 5 missions it gets into a really nice spot, although maybe I was just lucky. I'm really looking forward to the full release.

Sounds pretty cool, I definitely want to give it a whirl

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bioshock Infinite has a 95% positive review on steam and an 86% user score on metacritic (94% critic). I have never seen it get consistently trashed anywhere but here.

Coincidentally I've never seen anyone say bioshock 2 is the best game in the series elsewhere but here it's quite a consistent feeling

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Bioshock Infinite has a 95% positive review on steam and an 86% user score on metacritic (94% critic). I have never seen it get consistently trashed anywhere but here.

Coincidentally I've never seen anyone say bioshock 2 is the best game in the series elsewhere but here it's quite a consistent feeling

Yeah I thought everyone loved it when it came out. Now that I'm reminded of the mid game change I recall why I didn't like it.

Throwing birds at people was neat tho

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah, that's why it's really always struck me as this niche goon/internet opinion. I've really never heard anyone trash it aside from goons who do it constantly.

I've just always been confused by the level of hate on here, because I don't care about Bioshock much at all. Tried the first two and got bored, but picked up Infinite anyways because of the hype and it was, pretty good? Like, the game was fine. Whatever. I don't even care that much about it, but it kind of makes me roll my eyes with how dramatic people are about how bad it supposedly is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bioshock Infinite is a game about how the revolutionaries are actually the bad guys, people were making GBS threads on that and the “there is always a lighthouse” thing from day one

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I recall Bioshock Infinite was pretty well-received at the time and the most people had an issue with was the "console-ification" where you only have two guns at a time, and that Elizabeth's powers were significantly less interesting than what was shown in the trailers. The DLCs were pretty well-received until the final one, and I recall people everywhere being quite negative on the bioshock series and levine from then on

e: oh boy i forgot that the original b:i had you killing the black revolutionary because she was too into the whole "destroy the system" thing and then the DLC had you traveling back in time to witness her agreeing to be killed "for the greater good" which made her story even worse

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, that's why it's really always struck me as this niche goon/internet opinion. I've really never heard anyone trash it aside from goons who do it constantly.

I've just always been confused by the level of hate on here, because I don't care about Bioshock much at all. Tried the first two and got bored, but picked up Infinite anyways because of the hype and it was, pretty good? Like, the game was fine. Whatever. I don't even care that much about it, but it kind of makes me roll my eyes with how dramatic people are about how bad it supposedly is.

Goons are really weird and dramatic about things they dislike and make it into this sort of Big Picture projected idea. It’s a classic goon trait that has managed to stick around for as long as I’ve been around here. It’s pretty amusing once you get the sense for it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

Goons are really weird and dramatic about things they dislike and make it into this sort of Big Picture projected idea. It’s a classic goon trait that has managed to stick around for as long as I’ve been around here. It’s pretty amusing once you get the sense for it.

Okay, but that still isn’t the case when it comes to Bioshock Infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Bioshock Infinite is a game about how the revolutionaries are actually the bad guys, people were making GBS threads on that and the “there is always a lighthouse” thing from day one

i remember that plot twist vaguely and it being dumb, but in general AAA video game stories were so loving stupid and boring in 2013 the fact that I wasn't actively ignoring the story felt out of the ordinary. That was my main takeaway from it was that actually sort of cared what was going on.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 4, 2022