Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I fortunately have literally not even read GBS in at least a year so my excellent posting will remain immune from all purges :yayclod:

This post has bad vibes. Putting a little smiley face on the end doesn't fool anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

i read da op and the last bad quote is weird to pick out. too much irreverence? too much sounding like conspiracy nut? but its basically factually true, its the exact incentive structure that happened in the US were people tried to maximize economic activity prior to covid restrictions. in short, kidnapping ftw

That's some incredibly thin ice you're venturing out onto, comrade.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like listening to this guy about shipping mainly because I haven't looked into if he is a horrible person or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X42cN6Yj88

But here is a video about the black sea grain initiative

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

you're not allowed to blame those in power for what they've done, op

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Majorian posted:

That's some incredibly thin ice you're venturing out onto, comrade.

unlike some others, thin ice can actually support me :smugdon:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

speng31b posted:

no the orcs are idiots. It was Sauron doing the brain thinking.

And Sauron was nothing more than a pawn of Morgoth... makes you think...

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it is so weird (not weird) that the guardian is like, check out this camera drone video of the us / ukraine suicide drone bombing a russian ship

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nix Panicus posted:

My current D&D game revolves around the rights of artificially constructed people and the responsibilities of their creators with the underlying question of do all people deserve a cultural homeland at any cost. Its pretty good.

do the artificial people have any gold or magic items

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

This post has bad vibes. Putting a little smiley face on the end doesn't fool anyone

I don't even know the forumID of GBS. If I wanted to open a thread there to troll I'd be halted by the simple URL wall, scratching my head

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I don't even know the forumID of GBS. If I wanted to open a thread there to troll I'd be halted by the simple URL wall, scratching my head

That's great. Stop talking about it or I will probate you. That goes for everyone else after this post, too.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

SourKraut posted:

And Sauron was nothing more than a pawn of Morgoth... makes you think...

nah dude, Morgoth's gone by that point. Just a spirit floating in the void. At that time Sauron is his successor, not his minion

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I watched like the first 20 minutes of the new Top Gun but it was worse than Morbius. Was the place they were gonna bomb Russia?

Subjecting a plane load of people to Morbius is the real war crime IMO.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022/11/03/ukraine-risks-being-locked-into-endless-war-in-bid-for-perfect-peace/

quote:

Ordinary Ukrainians on the front lines are divided on a ceasefire and negotiations. My Ukrainian colleague Karina Korostelina and I surveyed the attitudes of both residents and displaced persons in three Ukrainian cities close to the southeast battlefields this summer. Almost half agreed it was imperative to seek a ceasefire to stop Russians killing Ukraine’s young men. Slightly more supported negotiations with Russia on a complete ceasefire, with a quarter totally against and a fifth declaring themselves neutral. Respondents were torn when considering whether saving lives or territorial unity were more important to them. Those most touched by the war, namely the internally displaced, were more likely to prioritise saving lives. Other research reveals that those farthest from the battlefields have the most hawkish attitudes.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

Tolkien is a loving idiot. Boromir is 100% right, they SHOULD use the ring to save people and make the world a better place

what could the ring even do other than corrupt people and turn them invisible?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Only Boromir suspected the truth: it was a cockring.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zodium mentioned it earlier in passing and I also do wonder how war support in Ukraine breaks along class lines.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

speng31b posted:

nah dude, Morgoth's gone by that point. Just a spirit floating in the void. At that time Sauron is his successor, not his minion

Its like Morgoth gave his old gaming PC to Sauron so Sauron could play a sick RTS

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

speng31b posted:

Its refreshing that at no point does Sauron hatch a plan to bring his master back. gently caress that guy, he's gone and probably never coming back, also the gods have abandoned the world so Sauron can pretty much do whatever so long as he can avoid the classic blunder of over reach.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I watched like the first 20 minutes of the new Top Gun but it was worse than Morbius. Was the place they were gonna bomb Russia?

It's Not-Iran

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Only Boromir suspected the truth: it was a cockring.

look Boromir, if you want to gently caress the ring just gently caress the ring. stop telling me it feels like someone else is doing it when your dick's invisible

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The entire movie is about bombing not-Iran before they can get nukes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Always seems like REMFs are always the most blood thirsty

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
uk-backed-by-us blowing up a pipeline just like they blew up a good peace deal back in feb makes perfect sense imo. it'd also be the funniest outcome that uk just wants to take everything down with it as it sinks in the atlantic ocean

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nix Panicus posted:

The entire movie is about bombing not-Iran before they can get nukes
I assume the one name in the credits that wasn't "James Caucasian McHonky" was the bad guy then.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

New tread means a new beginning!!! Here's hoping we can keep the inter-form BS out.

Fake edit: At least we good close to 11 pages of post before someone touched too much poop I guess.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

This is the hardest thread to follow because the nature of modern war makes it such that there are so many damned Bernies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588345283477266434

Oooh, love that confidence...from a government that isn't Ukraine's, and has some rather perverse incentives wrapped up in all of this!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

CODChimera posted:

Its the Ring of Power. It grants power. Gollum, Bilbo and Frodo experience power as invisibility because they're voyeuristic little perverts and cowards, and also because they lack imagination.

Of course, it doesn't corrupt people either - just because Gandalf says so doesn't make it true. The Ring is just... like, a gun, or whatever. If somebody you knew walked up to you and was like "That gun you have... it must be destroyed! It will corrupt your soul! Not even I can be trusted with a gun! I would become a dread tyrant, and bring ruin to this world!" your first thought would probably be that you should avoid this guy

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if he was intended to have a gun, jrr tolkein would have named him gundalf

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

redneck nazgul posted:

:hmmyes:

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Yeah bro I could totally capture that city dude

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Calibanibal posted:

Its the Ring of Power. It grants power. Gollum, Bilbo and Frodo experience power as invisibility because they're voyeuristic little perverts and cowards, and also because they lack imagination.

Of course, it doesn't corrupt people either - just because Gandalf says so doesn't make it true. The Ring is just... like, a gun, or whatever. If somebody you knew walked up to you and was like "That gun you have... it must be destroyed! It will corrupt your soul! Not even I can be trusted with a gun! I would become a dread tyrant, and bring ruin to this world!" your first thought would probably be that you should avoid this guy

the ring doesn't even have any power. It's purely a lacanian icongraphy that itself is the symbiosis of power by desire of it's power as an icon in the real. that's what gives it's power, not intrinsic property of the ring, but rather the cartesian projection of the eikon

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

the ring doesn't even have any power. It's purely a lacanian icongraphy that itself is the symbiosis of power by desire of it's power as an icon in the real. that's what gives it's power, not intrinsic property of the ring, but rather the cartesian projection of the eikon

Sure, but do you think if Boromir put on the ring it'd give him a giant schlong?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

redneck nazgul posted:

gandalf the gunmetal

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Xaris posted:

so it wants you to want it?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588345283477266434

Oooh, love that confidence...from a government that isn't Ukraine's, and has some rather perverse incentives wrapped up in all of this!

US like the bad friend egging you into drunken fights. Do it dude you could totally take him. Yeah totally bro, he's not even that big.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Nix Panicus posted:

Sure, but do you think if Boromir put on the ring it'd give him a giant schlong?
well if he put it on his penis it'd cut off hte circulation and make it look pretty big yeah

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

US like the bad friend egging you into drunken fights. Do it dude you could totally take him. Yeah totally bro, he's not even that big.

We TOTALLY got your back dude, c'mon, you go high we'll go low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

every power bottom has a coveted ring