Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

every power bottom has a coveted ring

post-custom title combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shifty Nipples posted:

so it wants you to want it?

that's right. you can think of middle earth as actually the world manifested as a structural physical reality of political capital. like how our world is finance capital, theirs is political capital

basically barack obama is sauron

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Xaris posted:

well if he put it on his penis it'd cut off hte circulation and make it look pretty big yeah

Excuse me, but the ring automatically resizes to fit the wearer, unless it *wants* to slip off. Boromir could easily wear the ring snugly on his penis unless he was in the presence of some orcs who would take the ring back to Sauron. Do you even know the lore?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Putin? Zelensky?

What about a president that can actually win a war.
https://twitter.com/AbiyAhmedAli/status/1586278510036848640?s=20&t=bCIHYGV_uMVcOiq_OLm5lw

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Xaris posted:

the ring doesn't even have any power. It's purely a lacanian icongraphy that itself is the symbiosis of power by desire of it's power as an icon in the real. that's what gives it's power, not intrinsic property of the ring, but rather the cartesian projection of the eikon

whats symbiosis of power by desire of its power mean

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

Excuse me, but the ring automatically resizes to fit the wearer, unless it *wants* to slip off. Boromir could easily wear the ring snugly on his penis unless he was in the presence of some orcs who would take the ring back to Sauron. Do you even know the lore?

canonically we can't be sure if the ring interprets being mashed onto a bearer's dick as "wearing" or not.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the Ring is a HIMARS, and Zelensky is Boromir. You tankies are Gandalf. Obviously you can figure out the rest

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What if instead of Gandalf he was named Gunkata and he had these sweet akimbo pistol moves

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Putin, who I do not support, is invited to come with me and Zelensky to Disneyland for negotiations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Calibanibal posted:

the Ring is a HIMARS, and Zelensky is Boromir. You tankies are Gandalf. Obviously you can figure out the rest

are you an ent

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588345283477266434

Oooh, love that confidence...from a government that isn't Ukraine's, and has some rather perverse incentives wrapped up in all of this!

every time the Ukrainians gear up for one of these all out assaults to retake a position where the Russians have months to prepare it goes horribly wrong for Ukraine.. The Ukrainians themselves seem to recognize this, as the last attempt on Kherson was half assed while they had the Kharkiv operation in their back pocket.

I expect Ukraine to do something symbolic around Kherson but if they are going to make a real move I expect it to be somewhere else in the country. Maybe in the center against Donetsk? something unexpected.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Starsfan posted:

every time the Ukrainians gear up for one of these all out assaults to retake a position where the Russians have months to prepare it goes horribly wrong for Ukraine.. The Ukrainians themselves seem to recognize this, as the last attempt on Kherson was half assed while they had the Kharkiv operation in their back pocket.

I expect Ukraine to do something symbolic around Kherson but if they are going to make a real move I expect it to be somewhere else in the country. Maybe in the center against Donetsk? something unexpected.

If that happens and it works it will be so funny. So it is probably what will happen, per the Felix Biederman principle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

Bees individually are weak, but a hive of bees working together could take a dragon I think. Just sting inside its mouth a lot. Or maybe its allergic like that kid in My Girl.

In the scenario you describe, are these fireproof bees

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1588345283477266434

Oooh, love that confidence...from a government that isn't Ukraine's, and has some rather perverse incentives wrapped up in all of this!

Quite the turn from when Ukraine was posting rah rah Kherson hype updates and the US was like "Hey, sometimes, Ukraine surprises you, so I guess we'll see, but I don't know if I'd call this a 'counteroffensive' per se..., but the operations are deliberate and calculated"

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

500 good dogs posted:

please elon save us from all of these bots

I'm sure the nafo dorks will continue to suck up to elon as reddit bros do despite the fact that he is now on the official Ukrainian government kill list

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Quite the turn from when Ukraine was posting rah rah Kherson hype updates and the US was like "Hey, sometimes, Ukraine surprises you, so I guess we'll see, but I don't know if I'd call this a 'counteroffensive' per se..., but the operations are deliberate and calculated"

"awwww they're really going for it, that smol bean uwu" -the US

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

gandalf the gunmetal

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

I'm sure the nafo dorks will continue to suck up to elon as reddit bros do despite the fact that he is now on the official Ukrainian government kill list

Slava Ukraini.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lord of Pie posted:

like, who isn’t on that list at this point

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

fits my needs posted:

richard spencer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fits my needs posted:

overpaid computer touchers

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

KomradeX posted:

Remember the mobile weapons lab, or that he shipped them all off to Syria and any number of endless Tom Clancy explanations that were given

I've posted this before but one of my favorite pastimes is browsing the dadfic/milfic shelves at used bookstores and reading the 80s Vietnam cope plus all the books about how Iran or Libya is trying to destroy America! Honest! And the sick twisted pov you have to be in for any of it to be inspiring ... this time, the genocidal imperialists get to win!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Lit. one of these old rear end books had back cover copy about the "beloved Lord Mountbatten" and how his assassins were actually masterminded by the PLO! or whoever. Shed some tears for the pedophile monster, our pedophile when you think about it.

Another one had the Soviets keeping all the secret Vietnam POWs in a camp in Siberia and ACTUALLY they were gonna kill em all! Worse than Auschwitz even! Literally the double genocide poo poo in pop fiction form, pathetic.

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Nov 4, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'd rather they not win any wars at all and just stopped killing people instead.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

good. flies are the basic-est flying bug, they deserve to stay at 0 votes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

has anyone said Son of Thunderyeast yet

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Filthy Hans posted:

has anyone said Son of Thunderyeast yet

not yet but one time I asked why people were doing the "more like <oldpainless pun>" jokes and someone said "more like son of wonderbeast"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Majorian posted:

If that happens and it works it will be so funny. So it is probably what will happen, per the Felix Biederman principle.

Yeah, no, Donetsk is actually a frontline

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1588326374820945924

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

love that self determination

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Who knows, maybe they've found a gap!

I am joking. I supremely doubt they have found a gap.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

The stripes are 'war zone' in the map legend, so all of Russia is a war zone and things in Ukraine are just peachy

is this an obvious error or do I just have map reading deficiency

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I shouldn't be surprised that you freaks think both bats AND birds can defeat a dragonfly. After all, you thought the orcs could defeat Ukraine in 3 days 🤣

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

I shouldn't be surprised that you freaks think both bats AND birds can defeat a dragonfly. After all, you thought the orcs could defeat Ukraine in 3 days 🤣

THANK YOU.

It has "dragon" in the name. FFS.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
has anyone said detroit, new york and LA but im stuck in the ukraine yet

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The stripes are 'war zone' in the map legend, so all of Russia is a war zone and things in Ukraine are just peachy

is this an obvious error or do I just have map reading deficiency

The legend applies to the smaller detail maps. "War zone" is also more of a "No Man's Land".

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

has anyone said detroit, new york and LA but im stuck in the ukraine yet

Niu York was shelled, not a week ago

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Starsfan posted:

The Kherson offensive already happened. If Ukraine was actually strangling supplies to the right bank like CNN says they are a collapse would have happened months ago. Ukraine has been attacking Kherson constantly for nearly two months and have almost nothing to show for it except getting obliterated at Sukhyi Stavok and Dudchany, hence the constant insistence that the real Kherson offensive will start any day now. Lately they've been making bizarre statements that Kherson is actually an impenetrable fortress due to irrigation ditches or something, which is hilarious because the south Ukrainian steppe is historically some of the worst defensive terrain on Earth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Russians were pretty reluctant to drive tanks into the big urban canyons of Kiev too

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That's a pretty good description, thanks for linking it!

I think that in the context of these discussions it's probably better for people to just be explicit about things. It's the same issue I have with the use of "fascist," which is usually just used as a proxy for "the thing which is worse than all the other things to the extent that you can shut off your brain when it comes up." Similarly, in these discussions "Russia is imperialist" is used to mean "and therefore they are worse than all other involved parties and there is a moral necessity to oppose them at all costs."

I think that Russia could reasonably be described as imperialist towards Ukraine, but only if one acknowledges that the US/NATO already had/have control over the country for their own interests. I think the framing of "sovereign Ukrainians trying to fight for their independence" is pretty wrong, because it's more "Russia trying to directly seize control of an undemocratic US-backed government" (or intimidate it into taking certain actions, which seems to have been the initial goal with the push to Kiev).

oscarthewilde posted:

reading the godawful QCS thread (rather, it started it out good, but then descended into the exact kind of moralistic slapfighting it was meant to address) I was suddenly reminded of Thucydides' Melian Dialogue. It looks to me that what I'd vaguely describe as the anti-Ukranians, of which this thread is a decent example, resembles the Athenian, 'realist' position that understands politics and warfare as fundamentally determined by raw, naked power, while the moralistic Melian position - preferring death in defeat over life in negotiated surrender - can be recognised in the more loud voices in the Western pro-Ukrainians (not to mention the Ukrainians themselves, once you've found yourselves in an existential life-or-death struggle you can hardly interpret the conflict in any other manner). Interesting to know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzHOqjMHwY

I think that the "realist" position can take different forms. Stopping violence in the short term might not be worth it if it leads to something worse in the long term (which is why the "we should fully back Ukraine in the war" people need to insist that Russia is going to literally genocide them - it's the only way to plausibly argue that continuing/escalating the war is a good idea).

If I were arguing from the "pro-Ukrainian" (as short-hand for "the people who think we should fully back Ukraine in the war") side, I'd probably make a counter-argument along the lines of "would you say the same thing about Iraq/Afghanistan (that no one should have resisted the US)?" This is where the special circumstances of the countries in question come into play (and is also why I generally don't bother to argue with other people about this, because there's too much to reasonably cover in forum posts/tweets/whatever and I don't trust myself to communicate it well). In the US's imperial endeavors (or Britain's during its time), it's a bunch of complete foreigners appearing and trying to seize power, as opposed to a dispute between neighboring countries with deep ties (who have even been the same country in living memory) and largely mixed populations. The rather..."morally dubious" nature of Ukrainian nationalists throughout the 20th century further complicates the situation, with emphasis on "the Ukrainian identity*" often being tied into really racist views (note the Ukrainian government pushing the "Russians are Asians while Ukrainians are true Europeans stuff" - they're not exactly subtle). I've seen people equate this with the treatment of indigenous Americans by Europeans, which is such a comically stupid comparison that I'm not even sure how to address it.

* I'm not saying Ukrainian national identity doesn't exist, but there are multiple ethnic groups who have been native to the region of Ukraine (just like Russia, or China, or pretty much any big country), and the frequent use of "Ukrainians" as some sort of distinct ethnic group from "Russians" seems questionable at best and "racist as hell" at worst, especially when the people in question frequently focus on the inferiority of Russians

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Steve Kerrson and the Sovereign State Warriors