Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
“Admit it: you have an addiction. You’re addicted to true crime.”

I mean, I guess BTB is true crime in a way :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Papyrus.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

I mean, I guess BTB is true crime in a way :shrug:

That commercial is all that I hate about true crime distilled into a syrupy black liquid. Everything outside of Casefile and occasionally Criminal is loving tasteless dreck.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, people actually listen to those ads?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I set up Overcast (legit app btw, if you’re on iOS) to use skip track forward as fast forward 60s and skip track back to rewind 15s. The only ads that gently caress me up are the ones that Robert records.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t get the ones Robert records outside of the US, we just get a lot of Ad Council & iHeart adverts.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

He’s got uh mattresses and I think LifeLock (dumbass Norton AV offshoot for ID theft). There’s probably more but hell if I’m listening to ads willingly.

Fake edit: Mattresses might be Dollop, idk.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

teen witch posted:

I don’t get the ones Robert records outside of the US, we just get a lot of Ad Council & iHeart adverts.

Yeah, I used to only get the generic ones for eons even in the US but lately I've been getting a bunch of local election ads so iHeart must've finally got some harvested data about me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
9/10 of the ads on behind the bastards for me are just for betterhelp online therapy

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

rotinaj posted:

9/10 of the ads on behind the bastards for me are just for betterhelp online therapy
Ironically, a company that might deserve its own episode based on what a lot of people say about it

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

the only ads I actually listen to are because robert reads them so I'm not automatically jumping to the skip button

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

rotinaj posted:

Same.
What do ad networks know about us?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, people actually listen to those ads?

When I'm not in a situation I can use the skip button, yeah.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I will eat poo poo in whatever video game I happen to be playing if the alternative is listening to a loving iHeart or BetterHelloFresh ad, and only the convenient controls on my car's steering wheel keep me from doing the same on the interstate.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

I will eat poo poo in whatever video game I happen to be playing if the alternative is listening to a loving iHeart or BetterHelloFresh ad, and only the convenient controls on my car's steering wheel keep me from doing the same on the interstate.

Zugzwang posted:

"HEY SIRI, CALL AN AMBULANCE" I say as i attempt to tre flip my Acura across the median

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remulak posted:

Same.
What do ad networks know about us?

That we are leftists and leftists tend towards being depressed, anxious, neurotic messes that could use some therapy

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also that we might be interested in the Washington State Highway Patrol

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

rotinaj posted:

That we are leftists and leftists tend towards being depressed, anxious, neurotic messes that could use some therapy

And gold. Don't forget about the gold :pram:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don’t get fun ads for gold or predator missiles or the highway patrol or koch industries

Mostly just betterhelp and whatever other Sophieverse podcast is being hyped

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By the way, that 3-hour video they mention is pretty great:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hSNWkRw53Jo&feature=share&utm_source=EKLEiJECCKjOmKnC5IiRIQ

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 2, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What are you talking about, it's a normal quick lookdon't look at the timestampinto Jordan Peterson

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Yeah im outside the US and i mostly get ads for other podcasts, never heard an actual product/service ad. Before i used to get these kind of PSA ads too but alot rarer nowadays.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I use a VPN, but I just use Chicago as my cover, so I get interesting ads for local live theatre performances in Chicago. Of course weirdo podcast listeners would be interested in jumped up musical dinner theatre.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

It's been recommended to me a couple times but I decided to actually watch it today! As a sped-up podcast weirdo this is my first time hearing Cody at 1x. :sweatdrop:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

In Australia all I get 2 types of ad:
1. A targeted ad for Australians about a new movie, a university or a bank. These are always read by the same lady, no matter what is being spruiked.

2. An ad for another podcast. Either the one about the loud autistic lady or a show hosted by a literal teen.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i get podcast ads for really tasteless sounding music scandal podcasts too

but yeah from canada its entirely podcast ads, occasionally an ad council thing

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

neongrey posted:

i get podcast ads for really tasteless sounding music scandal podcasts too

but yeah from canada its entirely podcast ads, occasionally an ad council thing

The thing about most, not all, but a significant majority of the iHeart podcast adverts is that the commercials make me less likely to want to check the other podcasts out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Advertising a podcast seems tough. I subscribe to a ridiculous number of them, I am a podcast guy (:rip:), but I have never in my life heard an ad for a podcast that made me want to listen to it.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I have, exactly once, checked out a podcast based on the Ad, and it was because the actual premise of the show was unique enough for me to see if it was any good. But generally the quality of the host and material is more important to me than the specific premise, and an ad can't convey that well.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Marsupial Ape posted:

I use a VPN, but I just use Chicago as my cover, so I get interesting ads for local live theatre performances in Chicago. Of course weirdo podcast listeners would be interested in jumped up musical dinner theatre.

Wait, I live in Chicago and I don't get those ads. Just various other podcasts and whatever Robert is shilling

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I get podcast ads, and two healthcare networks in my area with increasingly competitive ads towards each other.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
My favorite podcast ads are the one where two people come on, say how they are good friends with a great chemistry that they just had to bring to a podcast, and now they are going to talk culture, politics, pop culture, Hollywood, and whatever else comes up.

And then they laugh and end the ad without ever giving me a reason to care unless i already knew them or liked their voices

I have heard an infinite amount of boring dude podcasts like that, but there have been a lot more of those with two women in the past few years, especially who bonded over true crime, and now, the ones i hear the most are targeting a minority group

Did i say favorite, i mean i fuckin hate those ads

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
“We’re just two best friends, chattin’ about our lives, and tryin’ to be a little better every day :neckbeard:

— the hosts of 500,000 different podcasts

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

“We’re just two best friends, chattin’ about our lives, and tryin’ to be a little better every day :neckbeard:

Sometimes they like to get a bit zany, or even wacky on occasion.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lol I know exactly which podcast ads you're referring to. Couldn't tell you the name of the podcast to save my life though!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zugzwang posted:

God, this x1000

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Advertising a podcast seems tough. I subscribe to a ridiculous number of them, I am a podcast guy (:rip:), but I have never in my life heard an ad for a podcast that made me want to listen to it.

Ghost Church got on my radar from ads, but I already liked Jamie Loftus from BtB and I didn't actually pull the trigger on downloading it until I got around to listening to the Madam Blavatsky episode a few weeks ago. That's the closest I can think of

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

#MATTER was pretty good and I (probably) heard about it on BtB, I don’t think I listen to any other iHeart podcasts.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

OtspIII posted:

Ghost Church got on my radar from ads, but I already liked Jamie Loftus from BtB and I didn't actually pull the trigger on downloading it until I got around to listening to the Madam Blavatsky episode a few weeks ago. That's the closest I can think of

I used to not know what to make of Jamie Loftus. I got that she was talented, but I couldn’t figure out her schtick. I looked up her work history and stuff and I’m now fairly certain she’s doing an Andy Kaufman on Gamer Gate Chuds.

Or she’s not and I’m a cringey rear end in a top hat. Either way, I’ve grown to enjoy her appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

rotinaj posted:

My favorite podcast ads are the one where two people come on, say how they are good friends with a great chemistry that they just had to bring to a podcast, and now they are going to talk culture, politics, pop culture, Hollywood, and whatever else comes up.

And then they laugh and end the ad without ever giving me a reason to care unless i already knew them or liked their voices

I have heard an infinite amount of boring dude podcasts like that, but there have been a lot more of those with two women in the past few years, especially who bonded over true crime, and now, the ones i hear the most are targeting a minority group

Did i say favorite, i mean i fuckin hate those ads

Imagine this but it's an ad for "Rudy Giuliani's Common sense"

"Rudy Giuliani gives insight on leadership, courage and the most pressing issues of our time."