Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly even in the Yorknew arc the predictions turn out to be meaningless almost as soon they're given. Like, nothing even slightly close to what was predicted happened. One gets the impression that simply knowing about the future immediately causes it to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
neon is in heaven with that dog manipulator dude and ponzu

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I know we're never going to see it but I'd love a fight involving the person on the top floor of the tower

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

Honestly even in the Yorknew arc the predictions turn out to be meaningless almost as soon they're given. Like, nothing even slightly close to what was predicted happened. One gets the impression that simply knowing about the future immediately causes it to change.

Yeah that’s explicit. If you get your fortune told, that future is avoidable.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

Tbh fortunetelling that was just self fulfilling Oedipus prophecy bullshit wouldn’t be highly sought after in practice, if Neon’s fortunes worked like that there’d be no business to begin with.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Pigbuster posted:

This is the manga that established a detailed tragic backstory for a character that immediately died offscreen when it was over. Literally any narrative assumption you can make is up in the air.

(okay gyro still has the potential to be relevant but not yet!)

I was in utter disbelief that the Gyro thing was adapted. I thought for sure it would be cut.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gyro shows up in a speedboat and brings gon onto the ship

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It makes sense cause he’s the best, but I had no idea how much Killua dominated the first popularity poll, like nearly 3x the votes of Kurapika at number 2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah that’s explicit. If you get your fortune told, that future is avoidable.

Yeah, but they didn't actually do anything specific to avoid their future, it just turned out differently on its own. What I meant is that JUST by making the prediction, it necessarily changes the future and becomes untrue, which means the predictions are useless. There isn't really a situation where they CAN come true unless you deliberately make it so.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 3, 2022

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Them knowing their fortunes did change how they approached going after Kurapika which was really all that was needed to avoid losing half their numbers too him. Shalnark and Shizuku both had fortunes that indicated they would die if left alone so pairing up would be enough to offset any danger. Everyone else stayed in teams as well as a general precaution contrast to the current situation on the black whale where Franklin and Machi have opted to work solo. And since the fortunes indicated they would lose 5 people in the next week the rest of the arc takes place over the next couple days so I think that avoids pushing things further into the original Bad ending. Pakunoda was the only one to wind up walking back into her own fortune despite the deviations from whatever was originally going to happen. And Chrollo's fortune always indicated that he would survive but he'd find help to the East which is what brought the troupe to Greed Island to find Abengane so perhaps him getting a judgement chain to the chest was always going to happen because his capture was constant between the original sequence of events and the new ones.

By nature Neon's fortunes are only there to prevent bad things from happening so simply knowing something like "stay away from ladders" will be enough to avert what she predicts. The rest gets into a fucky and complicated discussion on causality.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best thing to do would have been to immediately back off and leave york shin, but that's not how the spiders roll. but even then, pakunoda probably died because hisoka lied about his fortune. he wanted to make things messy and unpredictable and it worked.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought that Chrollo’s response to the fortunes was to immediately just cut his losses to avoid further death because it would have been dumb to do the standard Shonen bad guy thing of going on a revenge spree, and that Hisoka pretty much manipulated the spiders into staying. That’s what I remember, at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh right, yeah. hisoka said that even more would die if they simply left.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Clarste posted:

Yeah, but they didn't actually do anything specific to avoid their future, it just turned out differently on its own. What I meant is that JUST by making the prediction, it necessarily changes the future and becomes untrue, which means the predictions are useless. There isn't really a situation where they CAN come true unless you deliberately make it so.

Except there were multiple times when you have characters avoid their fate by reading the fortune. The Mafia bosses who didn't go to the auction, Shalnark and Shizuku . The fortunes all read that the spiders were going to lose half their number, so they decided to pack up and leave. The only reason they stayed was because of Hisoka, however they still followed some of the instructions on the fortune so they avoided being killed in the numbers predicted by pairing up in groups of three and never being out alone.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

If Neon's ability was to show you some sort of twisted self-fulfilling prophecy you can't *actually* stop it would be a really poo poo power. The fact that it's a mutable future is what makes it useful, as well as the fact that in addition to 'showing the future' it gives allegorical insight into post past and current events.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly Hisoka is fuckin' cracked, dude thought up a loving poem on the fly based off the Phantom Troupe reading Shizuku's fortune and immediately created a fake one that had them all fooled.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Honestly Hisoka is fuckin' cracked, dude thought up a loving poem on the fly based off the Phantom Troupe reading Shizuku's fortune and immediately created a fake one that had them all fooled.

Well not quite he read his own first.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/4720/hunter-x-hunter-chapter-393

Luini dead! They didn't need 4-5 pages to kill him, it was much quicker. RIP. It's interesting other Hei-Ly members were using his ability to get fed.
Hisoka going to the first deck. Oh boy! He will meet Kurapica and some Princes!
The Troupe is going for Morena in Tier 3. Which is what the other two families are already doing in Tier 3. In fact I suspect we will follow the two underbosses in their fight against the Hei-Ly family and when things turn dangerous and seems they are gong to die, the Troupe will come to rescue, as we know they are going there but are some minutes behind.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 4, 2022

Lpzie 2
Nov 1, 2022

When you elect nuts, you get squirrels!
good ch.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Very good chapter. I'm so pleased things are happening quickly and there's not much messing around or exposition anymore. I've got the feeling togashi might want to move things along quickly in case of a new hiatus, which is great for story telling.

hinrigh remains a phenomenal character, he knows his limits and acts accordingly. The high density of nen users and high level actors in the ship are really coming together.
Also it seems like we'll see the troupe in action some more which is always a treat.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

Very good chapter. I'm so pleased things are happening quickly and there's not much messing around or exposition anymore. I've got the feeling togashi might want to move things along quickly in case of a new hiatus, which is great for story telling.

If you review the last 3 chapters, it only had one new tertiary-level character (the corporal). All the other real 'actors' in the plot are already known, he doesn't have to spend time presenting them. Unlike the first 20 chapters of the arc that were all new princes, new bodyguards, new Benjamin soldiers, new mafia members, and new powers of each nen users, etc. That's why now things can move faster now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Great chapter. I don't think the corporal is going to be collecting his money.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Love how Hinrigh's motivation for protecting Hisoka is so he can put off Hisoka's fight with the spiders until after he's allowed to stand back and enjoy it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'm a bit surprised hisoka didn't just decide that getting caught up in the mafia war is more exciting, but if he does go to tier 1 then the spiders will surely follow before too long (after the mafia war is resolved to some degree) and all hell will break loose

glad kurapika and hisoka might be meeting a lot quicker than expected

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Loving that smile!

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It's funny that in real time, Luini took years to die, but in the history, he was around for like, less than a volume.

I'm torn between wanting to see Hisoka in the middle of chaos with the mafias, and him in the middle of chaos with the princes.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

lih posted:

glad kurapika and hisoka might be meeting a lot quicker than expected

there are so many ways kurapica could plausibly react to seeing hisoka again, and I can't wait to find out which it is. immediate high alert? too loving busy right now? flashback revealing he knows Hisoka killed Neon? or maybe an immediate "how can I trick this maniac into killing people for me."

...oh gosh, forget kurapica for a sec, what if hisoka uses his reconstructive tissue as an ammo supply?

i'm so happy this series is back

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

i hope hisoka and the mob guy kiss

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Uvo would be having so much fun if he were here

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

i hope hisoka and the mob guy kiss

Triangle situation between the two mob guys and Hisoka.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

lih posted:

i'm a bit surprised hisoka didn't just decide that getting caught up in the mafia war is more exciting

Genuinely think that if Hinrigh had given a suck-up "I bet you can beat all the spiders" answer, Hisoka would have just merced him then and there out of boredom. But I think Hisoka knows that's genuinely outgunned against the spiders, and his "I'm quite fond of honest people" is just him enjoying Hinrigh's frank assessment of the situation at the expense of his own ego. I figure he'll play along for the same reason he let Leorio and Kurapika set up the "deal" for that badge instead of just killing them.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I like the mob guy who's just like "wow, the troupe is sick. I gotta get their autographs"

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Hisoka is going to explode if he ever gets within 100 meters of Tserriednich and probably a few times after if they actually meet, so him going up to the VVIP area is only a good thing.

Actually holy poo poo Tserriednich vs the Troupe might be a cool showcase, too.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

hito posted:

Genuinely think that if Hinrigh had given a suck-up "I bet you can beat all the spiders" answer, Hisoka would have just merced him then and there out of boredom. But I think Hisoka knows that's genuinely outgunned against the spiders, and his "I'm quite fond of honest people" is just him enjoying Hinrigh's frank assessment of the situation at the expense of his own ego. I figure he'll play along for the same reason he let Leorio and Kurapika set up the "deal" for that badge instead of just killing them.

Hisoka respects competence and dedication. That's why he killed Gotoh :(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Desumaytah posted:

Hisoka is going to explode if he ever gets within 100 meters of Tserriednich and probably a few times after if they actually meet, so him going up to the VVIP area is only a good thing.

Actually holy poo poo Tserriednich vs the Troupe might be a cool showcase, too.

I actually was thinking how they are going to interact. It seems the movement in the corridors is pretty restricted, so Princes wouldn't meet in them, and it isn't like he is going to be allowed in a Prince room. Maybe he will recognize Kurapica in the weekly party they have. Then again, it occurred to me Hisoka will learn very soon that something is happening, even before that: he will feel Halk's team aura, or will see some nen beast going through a wall, etc.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
A floor of brutal fights-within-fights with a dozens of newly-born nen-users and a handful of crazy beasts he'll have a whale of a time.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
All this "After-death Nen" focus is leading directly into a "Before-Birth Nen" story pivot involving Nasubi and the pot; Ging and Gon. The Zoldycks choosing the current head of the family. Woble or something.

The story brings us back to a past scene of Netero Smiling as Mereum rips him apart.

Leorio wipes his brow after a successful operation

What I'm saying is Kite's the main villain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hisoka has never been too fond of random killing, so I doubt his meeting with Hinrigh would have resulted in bloodshed short of Hinrigh attacking him.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Desumaytah posted:

All this "After-death Nen" focus ...

Speaking of, what Togashi is doing in general in HxH, is reinterpreting lots of known supernatural events as 'actually, in this setting is nen!'

Ghosts? Nen (we had an example on the girl who dispossess corpses, normal people can't see her, but if some rando genius has a weird affinity with nen or is 'nen awakened' without knowing, he/she will see the 'ghost'.
Curses beyond the grave? Powerful, dangerous post-death nen, as we have been told many times. An example, Camilla's curse users.
Hypnosis? Nen (manipulator powers, obviously)
Fortune telling? Nen (Neon)
Objects with seemingly magical powers? Nen (any conjuration poo poo).
Etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hisoka has never been too fond of random killing

RIP like half the hunter exam contestants in the forest who got clown murder hoboed