Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also keep in mind that every line of code committed is then a burden going into the future that needs to be maintained and updated. less is more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Someone could have just added the entire text of Atlas Shrugged as a block comment, committed that, and then removed it, character by character, committing each individual character deletion. They’d be chief engineer at Twitter next week.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

lol the world's richest man burned billions of his own money in order to ruin a company and fire 4,000 people. capitalism is great.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

pretty soft girl posted:

Yep, right on the money. It also ignores any vital non-committing activities like research tasks, assessing 3rd party libraries and vendors, data maintenance, mentoring, code reviewing, failure recovery efforts, etc

There's a reason the industry moved away from assessing engineer quality solely by lines of code written back in like, the 90s lol. That's some straight up pressed shirt and tie 1970s IBM type poo poo

Cheers for the explanation which confirms my right to lmao at Musk - what an absolute cabbage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elon Trump started PayPal out of the trunk of his car when he was a broke college student and within a year it was worth 10 billion dollars. Then he started Tesla and did the same thing. Then he started Spacex and did the same thing. And ya’ll think he’s not going to make billions on Twitter? C’mon son.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I heard a podcast yesterday that said Elon owes $1b a year in interest on the twitter buyout loans, so if he tanks the company he'd be forced to sell Tesla shares over a fairly long term period.

Supposely he could be pushed out of Tesla (I assume SpaceX too) altogether which is kinda funny if true

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Plus one good software engineering practice is that after you finish a feature, you go back and squash your many commits into one (or a few) before pushing to the full repository. The commit history is ideally the most succinct story of atomic changes of how a code base was built. Good developers will do this, bad developers (like me) won’t. It’s not even a random metric, it’s an actively harmful metric. I’m kinda guessing it’s fake though.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Total Party Kill posted:

LOL I would have survived because every pull request I make has a dozen extra commits for me to get rid of all my
code:
console.log('fart');
and other notes in the code that I made for myself while working.

I'd have survived because one of my current projects cannot be built locally so I put in a lot of minor fixes and tests

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Dalmuti posted:

Hr should be making commits to git repos, duh

Terminations as Code is the future of HR.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

crime weed posted:

more commits = better
Except it's worse than that, reading the tweet. It's the most LINES of code, not the most commits.

So basically someone who penned an extraordinarily verbose README.md lives to fight another day!

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

smoobles posted:

I heard a podcast yesterday that said Elon owes $1b a year in interest on the twitter buyout loans, so if he tanks the company he'd be forced to sell Tesla shares over a fairly long term period.

Supposely he could be pushed out of Tesla (I assume SpaceX too) altogether which is kinda funny if true
is this where the "find 1bil/yr in infrastructure cuts" came from?

its just all gonna to towards paying off twitter's massive loans that Elon essentially had twitter take out on itself

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That's about as effective as firing everyone who sends the least e-mails, or walks the least steps in a day.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

smoobles posted:

Good. IMO SpaceX is such a subsidy charity case that loving with Starlink in Ukraine over talking on the phone with Putin should have mobilized the DoD to nationalize it and fold it into NASA as a R&D division, but that's galaxy brain wishful thinking.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mobby_6kl posted:

How does this work for like sales or HR or IT?

IT and engineers are both computers so IT's a redundant department anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Musks plan seems to be to search the couch cushion for change, by setting the couch on fire

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Elviscat posted:

What does this mean, for those of us that don't code or whatever?

OK, to simplify things a bit, a commit is basically when you submit some code you have made for review and approval. If you don't think about it a lot or don't really understand software development, you might think that "more lines of code committed / more commits made" is a good metric of who is the most productive coder in your team, but it doesn't work like that.

I've been at my current company for some months now, and I'm working in a new programming language. I don't still always know the best ways of doing things in this new language, and I don't always know the "house style" for some things, so when I write code, I have to submit it, get comments and feedback, make changes, submit the amended code and repeat several times. Contrast with someone who is able to do the same thing in one or two commits and you'd have to be a real galaxy brain genius to say that I am a more valuable coder for my company because I committed more lines or made more commits.

Even beyond that, writing clean and concise code is a good skill to have. Every programmer can take more lines to do a thing they could do in just a couple, so if you make "more lines == better than" your metric for retaining coders, you are either fostering a culture where people are pressured to write inefficient and ugly code, or rewarding those who do over those who can do the same thing more elegantly.

It's the same school of thought as Elon's really dumb "bring us the latest 50 pages of code you wrote this month" idea. It just betrays a staggering lack of understanding for what modern software development is, and what are useful metrics for measuring performance in it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

crime weed posted:

every time you save code you write, its a "commit". this includes corrections to previous errors.

so if you write a super long, verbose book full of errors, you're gonna have a huge leg up on everyone else.

TIL I'd be an excellent software engineer codey type person. I've written a few excel formulas in my time so how hard could it be anyway?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Durzel posted:

Except it's worse than that, reading the tweet. It's the most LINES of code, not the most commits.

So basically someone who penned an extraordinarily verbose README.md lives to fight another day!

Time to check in a few Jupyter Notebooks I wrote

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Outrail posted:

TIL I'd be an excellent software engineer codey type person. I've written a few excel formulas in my time so how hard could it be anyway?

You're not wrong

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol, thanks for all the answers, that is truly some Galaxy Brain poo poo.

Not surprising coming from the dude who had people printing out code they wrote, which even my software illiterate rear end can recognize as dumber than poo poo.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Excellent pro-musk comment on Hacker News:

quote:

You mean like the guy who's trying to address the main existential risks facing humanity right now? Last I checked, Musk created Tesla to counteract the existential risk of climate change, Neuralink to counteract the existential risk of AI, and SpaceX to counteract the existential risk of asteroids and other planet-killing catastrophes. Maybe that's why the people at his companies stay despite being pushed so hard?

lol

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Edit: ^^^lol, now I'm imagining Musk watching Armageddon in the theater, stands up in the middle of it and yells "someone has to do something!" before rushing out and starting spacex.

Until we get a more concrete source than a random screenshot, I am going to assume the commit thing is bullshit.
But god drat, if that's true.....gently caress.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

fishing with the fam posted:

Until we get a more concrete source than a random screenshot, I am going to assume the commit thing is bullshit.
But god drat, if that's true.....gently caress.

it sounds right up Elon's dumbass alley

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Outrail posted:

If you're a quick learner and know algebra, there are a zillion well paying tech jobs that you are easily qualified for. There are many very hard problems in tech that genuinely need very skilled people, but for every one of those, there are a thousand more jobs that just need someone who can learn quickly, string two coherent thoughts together, and communicate with humans.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Twitter is a bloated Behemoth, so let's only keep the employees who contributed the most to bloating that beast. :hmmyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK Twitter employee saw his laptop screen 'flash grey'

quote:

We've been hearing from Twitter employees who find themselves locked out of their own work accounts - without being told whether they have been sacked or not.

The BBC spoke to one employee in London who described how his work laptop screen went grey. He says this is what happens when a laptop is "remotely wiped".

"You don't wipe a laptop... if you're planning to keep somebody on", he says.

again,

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Durzel posted:

If it leads to people writing better documentation, I'm ok with this.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

put a hammer through it and send it back

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588538640401018880

funny tweet or transparent attempt to evade the warn act? you decide!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ColdPie posted:

If you're a quick learner and know algebra, there are a zillion well paying tech jobs that you are easily qualified for. There are many very hard problems in tech that genuinely need very skilled people, but for every one of those, there are a thousand more jobs that just need someone who can learn quickly, string two coherent thoughts together,

Sweet!

ColdPie posted:

and communicate with humans.

Lol hard pass. I've met engineers before gently caress that noise.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

Ironic considering he's the one trying to charge money for it. :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

No this is him whining about the advertisers dropping twitter because they are absolutely terrified of Musks insane goals

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Poor Elon. Seriously hope he is taking care of his mental health and not considering self-harm.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

An entertaining turn towards Trumpian phrasing :sad:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

In order to protect free speech we must destroy freedom of association. The law for us all to tithe $8 to lord Elon will pass shortly

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Coca Cola not wanting their ads next to the saddest stupidest freaks on earth is oppression, to me

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

It's free speech for "activist groups" to pressure advertisers to drop Twitter, too, Musky.

oh you meant that free speech.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
If my business isn't successful, it's because of Antifa terrorists who hate freedom of speech

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lmao just keep posting through it

it hasn't worked at all but maybe if you keep at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I think the biggest activist group driving advertisers away is called "MUSK". They're a terrorist organization dedicated to the destruction of social media companies.