Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

Growing up on MacAddict Forums, rip/mix/burn, and the early days of the iTunes Music Store with 99¢ per track!; albums were always this very boomer concept to me.

I don't think I've ever listened to an album start to finish except for Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

~Coxy posted:

Growing up on MacAddict Forums, rip/mix/burn, and the early days of the iTunes Music Store with 99¢ per track!; albums were always this very boomer concept to me.

I don't think I've ever listened to an album start to finish except for Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds.

Oh hey, I remember getting MacAddict Magazine! The disc was the real highlight of the whole thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?

Proto-siri told you what you were playing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve always hated playlists and any sort of randomised play. I need to listen to complete albums. A lot of thought goes into putting an album together and choosing the order of the songs, they often convey a narrative.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well, they did.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm also a full album type of gal but otoh it's very nice to be able to skip all the skits and filler songs on 90s rap albums where they had to fill the whole drat cd up for some reason

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Weedle posted:

i'm also a full album type of gal but otoh it's very nice to be able to skip all the skits and filler songs on 90s rap albums where they had to fill the whole drat cd up for some reason

Pre-Twitter, those skits were the only way we could stay up to date with rappers’ views on women and/or other rappers (they hated both), thus fulfilling an important social function

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Don't forget homosexuality.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Thanks folks, the free version of Proton seems to be keeping the auto ban off of me for the moment. I’m going to stay off of r/trains for good this time, I swear.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Thanks folks, the free version of Proton seems to be keeping the auto ban off of me for the moment. I’m going to stay off of r/trains for good this time, I swear.

We all know this isn’t true

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just noticed today that there’s a decent sized chunk in my official silicone case for my phone. Should I be looking into new cases as it won’t protect my phone well or am I still good?

Alternatively, does Apple have warranty for their cases as I got it with the phone when it released (14 Pro Max).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

~Coxy posted:

:confused:

I get different people have different priorities but I basically only listen to albums? The down side is listening to something new is daunting because I have to set aside ~40 minutes to have a go. And I’m a weirdo who has to listen to something like 3-4 times to form my opinion (unless it’s just obviously terrible).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

I get different people have different priorities but I basically only listen to albums? The down side is listening to something new is daunting because I have to set aside ~40 minutes to have a go. And I’m a weirdo who has to listen to something like 3-4 times to form my opinion (unless it’s just obviously terrible).

Sometimes it takes me longer than that. Unless something is amazing it's probably not going to get played repeatedly and there's been some stuff I've been pretty meh about that I revisited like 10 years later.

It's weird, when I was a teenager and I bought a new album I'd listen to it like 100 times and now it's 1-3 times before I'm tired of it. I don't buy more music now than I did then, either.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I have carried the same iTunes library forward since 2005 and have a playlist called "The Best Music" which contains only music I have rated five stars. It is a thousand songs long and is the only playlist I sync to my phone. When I want to listen to music I can just hit play and know that all of the songs are good, but maybe I need to skip twenty tracks until I find one I am in the mood for.

It's me. I'm the iPod Shuffle customer.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I had the 4th gen shuffle and used it purely on runs. Makes me nostalgic, I remember tucking the headphone wires under my shirt

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just noticed today that there’s a decent sized chunk in my official silicone case for my phone. Should I be looking into new cases as it won’t protect my phone well or am I still good?

Alternatively, does Apple have warranty for their cases as I got it with the phone when it released (14 Pro Max).

Not sure on the warranty, but probably ? Of all things, I would recommend texting apple. Their text customer service is actually very responsive overall and usually resolves any concerns I have. Quick way to find out if they would swap it or not.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

blastron posted:

I have carried the same iTunes library forward since 2005 and have a playlist called "The Best Music" which contains only music I have rated five stars. It is a thousand songs long and is the only playlist I sync to my phone. When I want to listen to music I can just hit play and know that all of the songs are good, but maybe I need to skip twenty tracks until I find one I am in the mood for.

I do this too. It took me like 5 years to passively star rate every song in my library and it pisses me off that they incrementally remove star functionality with what seems every update.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

blastron posted:

I do essentially the same thing but with the personalized radio station Apple Music makes. I don't really like having to look for an album I'm in the mood for, especially if I'm driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I do this too. It took me like 5 years to passively star rate every song in my library and it pisses me off that they incrementally remove star functionality with what seems every update.
My current scheme is to add any new album to a 'Try' playlist and give it a couple play-throughs, setting thumbs down on every song that's a dud and later deleting it from my library. The survivors get added to an appropriate genre playlist.

It's nowhere near as good as the star rankings, but Timmy has determined us peons are only capable of liking/disliking things.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure on the warranty, but probably ? Of all things, I would recommend texting apple. Their text customer service is actually very responsive overall and usually resolves any concerns I have. Quick way to find out if they would swap it or not.

Oh hey! I remember you from the Sprint thread when I had them.

Thanks for the recommendation. I texted them, they scheduled a Genius Bar appointment at the local store and I’ve got a free replacement coming in a few days.

Thanks again!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 7, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I could’ve sworn it used to be possible to get support with Apple through means other than a phone call. I tried their twitter but they basically just told me to call them, but my throat’s a bit hosed at the moment and I really don’t wanna spend half an hour talking just to repeat all the stuff I could already tell them in a chat box.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

xzzy posted:

My current scheme is to add any new album to a 'Try' playlist and give it a couple play-throughs, setting thumbs down on every song that's a dud and later deleting it from my library. The survivors get added to an appropriate genre playlist.

It's nowhere near as good as the star rankings, but Timmy has determined us peons are only capable of liking/disliking things.

You can still use star rankings! They're just slightly hidden: on your Mac you can enable it in the "general" tab of Music's preferences and then set ratings via the contextual menu, and on iOS you can enable it via the Settings app and then set the ratings via the ... menu on each song.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

blastron posted:

You can still use star rankings! They're just slightly hidden: on your Mac you can enable it in the "general" tab of Music's preferences and then set ratings via the contextual menu, and on iOS you can enable it via the Settings app and then set the ratings via the ... menu on each song.

Usually don't have my PC with me in the car though. :v:

And the star rating toggle is gone from iOS. I can't find it anyways. Though I found a post that suggests the option is only there if you have tracks on the phone that already have star ratings, which what the hell Apple. But I can mess with it later I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Question Mark Mound posted:

I could’ve sworn it used to be possible to get support with Apple through means other than a phone call. I tried their twitter but they basically just told me to call them, but my throat’s a bit hosed at the moment and I really don’t wanna spend half an hour talking just to repeat all the stuff I could already tell them in a chat box.

Duckman2008 posted:

Their text customer service is actually very responsive overall and usually resolves any concerns I have. Quick way to find out if they would swap it or not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Download the Support app!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Usually don't have my PC with me in the car though. :v:

And the star rating toggle is gone from iOS. I can't find it anyways. Though I found a post that suggests the option is only there if you have tracks on the phone that already have star ratings, which what the hell Apple. But I can mess with it later I guess.

It’s still there, but only shows if the song is in your library:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s still there, but only shows if the song is in your library:

I get that, but the quirk is getting that option to show up in the menu.

If you have no star rated songs in your library, the option to show star ratings in Settings is not there and that option is not available in the '...' menu. Apparently all my star ratings were lost at some point, so I opened up iTunes, put a star rating on some random song, and after a minute or so the ability to enable ratings in Settings showed up. Do that, and now I can star rate songs.

Apple really wants it to be hard to discover.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’ve been using my personalised Apple Music station more often in recent months. It’s mostly good and gives me music I want to listen to.

But when I listen to (for example) the Triple J Hottest 100 playlists from 1998-2004, Apple Music decides that the artists which were most popular during that period are my ‘favourites’, and they end up in rotation on my station or in my Favourites playlist week after week until it finally learns that when I hit ‘suggest less like this’ I actually mean it.

Basically, I wish there was an option to play music without it contributing to the algorithm. Like an incognito mode or something. When I get the urge to relive my youth it doesn’t mean that I want to hear Silverchair and Grinspoon all day every day from then on. 😓

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I am not "album only" but I do get the urge to listen to full albums in order on a fairly regular basis.

I found this shortcut from an apple device reviewer and love it.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/2ba9aecfaeee4b419d21b31de30442f3

Literally just picks a random album in your Apple Music collection and plays it in order.

^^^
Ugh yes! I put on a sleep playlist once. ONCE! For six months after that my "new music" suggestion playlist was all floaty new age crystal poo poo. Disliked every single track too. Annoying as gently caress.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 6, 2022

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Download the Support app!
This is all I can see?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Creature posted:

I’ve been using my personalised Apple Music station more often in recent months. It’s mostly good and gives me music I want to listen to.

But when I listen to (for example) the Triple J Hottest 100 playlists from 1998-2004, Apple Music decides that the artists which were most popular during that period are my ‘favourites’, and they end up in rotation on my station or in my Favourites playlist week after week until it finally learns that when I hit ‘suggest less like this’ I actually mean it.

Basically, I wish there was an option to play music without it contributing to the algorithm. Like an incognito mode or something. When I get the urge to relive my youth it doesn’t mean that I want to hear Silverchair and Grinspoon all day every day from then on. 😓

Same. I listen to lofi beats when I am doing school work a few times a week but I can't listen to it on Apple Music because if I do then it thinks I want to listen to that all the time. That's just focus music Apple, not weekend yard work music!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Trying out the Shared Library feature that 16.1 introduced and I’m not sure if I’m missing something here but is there no way to get a notification for when photos get added to the shared library?

I see an option for deletion notifications but it seems weird that I can’t have a notification for whenever photos get put in there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just deleted 8GB of downloaded podcasts from Overcast. In the app it shows the reduction in storage used, as does the overall storage meter in iOS Settings, but below that where it shows how much each app uses, that hasn’t changed. I’ve tried rebooting. Is it just gonna take some time to update? 13P on 16.1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In my experience that stuff takes a bit to update for whatever reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got a new iPhone 14 Pro Mac and I’m having a weird problem. Specifically, when I try to log in to Google accounts for calendaring or contacts, the web view just sits there trying and trying after I enter my username.

I’ve tried it on 2 wifis and cell network, and for both my personal and work (Okta-backed) accounts. Have also tried restarting the phone. OS is up to date (16.1). Tried deleting the accounts and adding them back fresh, also.

I’ve only had the damned thing for like 4 days now, so I don’t know how I could have broken it. Anyone have ideas?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My mom and her husband just switched over to iPhone after always being on Android. Her husband is having an issue with an old LG bluetooth headset he uses. He needs it max volume for reasons, but iOS keeps automatically turning it down. Reduce loud volume is turned off in sound & haptics, headphone notifications is turned off, and he’s tried changing device type to everything in Bluetooth settings. No matter what, the phone automatically reduces volume. Is there any way to get around this?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I hope there’s a way around it but afaik Apple doesn’t let you change that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom and her husband just switched over to iPhone after always being on Android. Her husband is having an issue with an old LG bluetooth headset he uses. He needs it max volume for reasons, but iOS keeps automatically turning it down. Reduce loud volume is turned off in sound & haptics, headphone notifications is turned off, and he’s tried changing device type to everything in Bluetooth settings. No matter what, the phone automatically reduces volume. Is there any way to get around this?

The only solution I have found is to get really angry and curse at apple.

It just is what it is, and it is the one apple thing that drives me absolutely crazy.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are you in Europe? There’s some EU directive about this that requires the phone to turn down the volume after a certain duration above a threshold:

(Settings > Sound & Haptics > Headphone Safety)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You can set up the third party headset as a car stereo so the safety isn't triggered. This trick doesn't work with native apple audio product obvs.