Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

for a production designer who is "non-Star Wars in every way", Hull makes the most Star Warsy sets and props since 1980

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

for a production designer who is "non-Star Wars in every way", Hull makes Star Wars sets and props

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the set design is good even when not in a starwarsy place. when they first panned through mothma's condo i was agape

edit but syril's mom's place is the best. he's got his action figures on the shelf

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I think it helps to film in actual location, using actual props, and speaking to something besides a golf ball taped to a boom mic

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I thought the rebels' AK-looking blasters were a little on the nose though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grevling posted:

I thought the rebels' AK-looking blasters were a little on the nose though.

i'm mostly okay with this stuff because it's not like the general audience has read through ho chi minh's wikipedia web like we all have

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

I think it helps to film in actual location, using actual props, and speaking to something besides a golf ball taped to a boom mic

It's crazy what happens when you decide to make something good and not bad

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i watched the netflix All Quiet on the Western Front. i enjoyed aspects of it but it was definitely lacking.

the sets and costumes were lavishly produced and looked very expensive. i liked the performances and the lead had several scenes to flex his muscles where he showed some good acting. i always liked the anecdotes of german soldiers pausing during attacks in the Spring Offensive to raid allied trenches for food, which is faithfully depicted here.

however, the ending is very melodramatic and hollywood and silly. my understanding of the book is that the main character is killed in the last month of the war, basically at random during an otherwise peaceful day, thus the title of the book: his death is a total nonevent which doesn't even register in the larger scope of the war. here, his jackass commanding officer orders an attack during the literal last 15 minutes of the war. the protagonist, scarred by the death of his best friend, runs forward and goes 300 on a bunch of frenchmen and kills like 5 guys before being stabbed, at which point he staggers forward and looks at all the slo-mo devastation around him. the second the armistice goes into effect, the french and german soldiers stop in mid-battle and walk away from each other's trenches like a paintball match.

overall, it's a far cry from Come and See, a movie which it's clearly aping at several points

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

theflyingexecutive posted:

for a production designer who is "non-Star Wars in every way", Hull makes the most Star Warsy sets and props since 1980

See the quote about 'bend Star Wars to your talents'. That's what Star Wars is for. It's literally made out of a grab bag of genre media with some spaceships and greeblies slapped on, which the article outright says. Make your gritty grim drama and build Star Warsy sets and props around it, and it works just fine.

Like half the reason Disney's Star Wars sucks so much is they're desperately trying to Be Star Wars, or being contrarian to what they see Star Wars as, to the exclusion of all else. Resulting in an incoherent mess whose only purpose is to try to push various Nostalgia Buttons as hard as possible. Just have the confidence to make your own stories and fit the setting around them and suddenly you get something good!

...ironically this is the same problem the old EU had, drat near all the original protagonists half the time are full on OC Do Not Steals of Luke and Han, especially the latter where there's like half a dozen not-Millennium-Falcons in the franchise at this point. (There's even one in Star Trek!) And most of the adventures of them or the OT crew are basically just re-enacting variants on the OT over and over and over.

Ghost Leviathan has issued a correction as of 10:57 on Nov 4, 2022

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol i just realized who she-wolf of the isb is

yennefer from the witcher games

also good job on carrying that printer syril, you've got her interest now

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They should have called the Empire the Sheevists, like maoists or stalinists or whatever. The followers of Sheev.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
gently caress I gotta catch up on Andor I guess. Liked the first ep but got too busy to watch more.

Xaris posted:

is this basically a modern Are you Afraid of the Dark?

cuz if so, that's cool

It's a little more...philosophical than that? The mid-episode ghost stories are basically ways for the characters to talk about why they're so hosed up, but they don't always work in that capacity. I didn't like it as much as other Mike Flanagan stuff but it's still worth your time I'd say.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

projecthalaxy posted:

They should have called the Empire the Sheevists, like maoists or stalinists or whatever. The followers of Sheev.

Palpateers

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

youth organization is called the PalpaTeens

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Aglet56 posted:

however, the ending is very melodramatic and hollywood and silly. my understanding of the book is that the main character is killed in the last month of the war, basically at random during an otherwise peaceful day, thus the title of the book: his death is a total nonevent which doesn't even register in the larger scope of the war. here, his jackass commanding officer orders an attack during the literal last 15 minutes of the war. the protagonist, scarred by the death of his best friend, runs forward and goes 300 on a bunch of frenchmen and kills like 5 guys before being stabbed, at which point he staggers forward and looks at all the slo-mo devastation around him. the second the armistice goes into effect, the french and german soldiers stop in mid-battle and walk away from each other's trenches like a paintball match.

I know you have to differentiate the remake from the original, but that's a ridiculous perversion of what the book stands for.

The 1930 movie is still pretty amazing.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1588205064501559298 good read, Adam does good work

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

is it lib and or succ?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

is it lib and or succ?
no I put that poop in the succ thread

I understand your apprehension because it's The Atlantic

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

no I put that poop in the succ thread

I understand your apprehension because it's The Atlantic

quite frankly i just like accusing people it gives me a rush

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The real funny part is that Metal Gear is absolutely Star Wars in the 20th/21st century

Complete with world-ending superweapons with exploitable weak points, secret father reveals, and a prequel trilogy detailing the father's origins and fall from grace

kaz is obi wan??? (mentors the hero)

revolver ocelot is han solo????? (does cool gun stuff)

quiet is chewbacca??? (good at fighting and follows you around communicating in acknowledging grunts)

huey is r2d2??? (is a robot, does robot poo poo idk is kind of annoying, maybe also is c3po)

e: ah poo poo these should be prequel characters. uhh ocelot is dex jetster and huey is jarjar

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Nov 4, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm holding off on watching Andor because even though I keep hearing that it's good I've been burned before by thinking a Star Wars thing was good and then at the end Luke Skywalker appears out of nowhere to remind the audience that there are only four people in the whole galaxy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Saw Guerrera did nothing wrong

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

I'm holding off on watching Andor because even though I keep hearing that it's good I've been burned before by thinking a Star Wars thing was good and then at the end Luke Skywalker appears out of nowhere to remind the audience that there are only four people in the whole galaxy

well the show isn't over so there's always time for space magic bullshit, but so far there's none of that.

it's just really grounded in a way a lot of these shows aren't, not that I've seen a lot of them.

highest compliment i can pay to the show is that you can watch it without knowing anything about the star wars

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Btw in case anyone thought I was being hyperbolic when I said JKR's fans are claiming she literally formed Daniel Radcliffe from clay

https://twitter.com/Sara_Rose_G/status/1588116877766795264

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the weasel words they'll use is "we said she created the actor not the person" but even that isn't true lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the weasel words they'll use is "we said she created the actor not the person" but even that isn't true lol

she was neither director, scriptwriter, casting director, nor producer for the film, she just wrote the book it was based on, and it could be argued that Radcliffe is as responsible for JKR's success in the film world as she is for his, perhaps more so

like, "created the actor" would be stupid even if she HAD done all that stuff; she's not his acting coach, he did the acting himself

e: let's compare Rowling's post-Radcliffe film career to Radcliffe's post-Rowling film career lmao

loquacius has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Nov 4, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyway everybody go find out what the most famous person to be vaguely associated with your first job thinks about every issue because apparently you now need to spend your whole life advocating for all their views or you're being ungrateful to your creator

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loquacius posted:

Anyway everybody go find out what the most famous person to be vaguely associated with your first job thinks about every issue because apparently you now need to spend your whole life advocating for all their views or you're being ungrateful to your creator

my first job was ar Subway so ah hmm

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
jk rowling is daniel radcliffe's mom, it's the only thing that makes sense

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

my first job was ar Subway so ah hmm

lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Justin Tyme posted:

kaz is obi wan??? (mentors the hero)

revolver ocelot is han solo????? (does cool gun stuff)

quiet is chewbacca??? (good at fighting and follows you around communicating in acknowledging grunts)

huey is r2d2??? (is a robot, does robot poo poo idk is kind of annoying, maybe also is c3po)

e: ah poo poo these should be prequel characters. uhh ocelot is dex jetster and huey is jarjar
you forgot to mention that chewbacca also runs around basically naked

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

The Unnamed One posted:

The People's Champ vs the People's Republic of China Champ

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Aglet56 posted:

i watched the netflix All Quiet on the Western Front. i enjoyed aspects of it but it was definitely lacking.

the sets and costumes were lavishly produced and looked very expensive. i liked the performances and the lead had several scenes to flex his muscles where he showed some good acting. i always liked the anecdotes of german soldiers pausing during attacks in the Spring Offensive to raid allied trenches for food, which is faithfully depicted here.

overall, it's a far cry from Come and See, a movie which it's clearly aping at several points

Very much agree. The sequence where they charge the French trenches, capture them, then get repulsed by tanks, flamethrowers, planes and what have you was bizarre. A book about how war is terrible and pointless and they decided to have a cool rear end action sequence with every awesome war machine at once. Haven't read the book but if Paul's death really goes down like that, just dying on an otherwise unremarkable day, and that's why the book has that name, it's remarkably lovely to the source material that every named character's death is so heavy and dramatic in the movie.

The recent movie/miniseries adaption of Unknown Soldier followed the book very closely and was all the better for it. Classics are classics for a reason.

Grevling has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Nov 4, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grevling posted:

Very much agree. The sequence where they charge the French trenches, capture them, then get repulsed by tanks, flamethrowers, planes and what have you was bizarre. A book about how war is terrible and pointless and they decided to have a cool rear end action sequence with every awesome war machine at once. Haven't read the book but if Paul's death really goes down like that, just dying on an otherwise unremarkable day, and that's why the book has that name, it's remarkably lovely to the source material that every named character's death is so heavy and dramatic in the movie.

The recent movie/miniseries adaption of Unknown Soldier followed the book very closely and was all the better for it. Classics are classics for a reason.

The book is very much about how war is hell and it's terrible and pointless. The protagonist's death gets like two sentences because the point is to communicate that even though you've been following him around for two hundred pages, he dies unremarkably on a quiet day because that's what war is like and it's important enough to the themes and narrative that it's the title of the book.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

vyelkin posted:

The book is very much about how war is hell and it's terrible and pointless. The protagonist's death gets like two sentences because the point is to communicate that even though you've been following him around for two hundred pages, he dies unremarkably on a quiet day because that's what war is like and it's important enough to the themes and narrative that it's the title of the book.

Really dislike what the movie did with this, I have to say.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
there are parts of the book that could be adapted well for big action setpieces, like the part where paul's in the middle of a bunch of shellfire and he crawls into a coffin unearthed by a blast to have any shelter at all while everyone else gets obliterated around him. was that kept in?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
on behalf of Mr West I choose the second option

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now tell my mama i belong in that slow class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Malleum posted:

there are parts of the book that could be adapted well for big action setpieces, like the part where paul's in the middle of a bunch of shellfire and he crawls into a coffin unearthed by a blast to have any shelter at all while everyone else gets obliterated around him. was that kept in?

That's funny, that part wasn't kept in. Instead there's a bunch of scenes that as far as I know aren't in the book at all.