Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I’m so sad Elon took Twitter private because the best barometer for how much he’s sucking is not available to us just vibes

$TSLA is still up, and $ARKK is very heavy TSLA and private twitter shares - yes twitter still has multiple owners. I don't know what percent of Twitter this fund owns but of their publicly traded stocks 10% is in Tesla it's their top ticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Did he really post the "I told you I was hardcore" tweet; or was that just a joke 'shop?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Internetjack posted:

Did he really post the "I told you I was hardcore" tweet; or was that just a joke 'shop?

yes he posted it its real

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dang. Where am I going to post Genius of Love now that said honky?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I agree. You want code to be elegant and efficient, but you also want it to be readable. You don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who drops in a

code:

var smVarBshRdTwtForMdnb = smBshRdVar.ValidateArgument(smTshRedBrt.CheckArgument(lkVsCmdRdBsh.FetchCells(json.Marshal(alGnTwMnRdt[0].GetCellCountVar.ToString))))

which nobody can loving parse. It's something I see people do all the time when they've gotten over the initial hump of learning to program and think they're far too clever. Then they come back to try to debug that poo poo a month later, or better yet, have to debug someone ELSE's huge loving pile of poo poo, and learn.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I know very little on the subject but I'd like to learn. Is writing it in the way you've just described kind of like writing in a personal shorthand that no-one else can easily interpret?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pookah posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I know very little on the subject but I'd like to learn. Is writing it in the way you've just described kind of like writing in a personal shorthand that no-one else can easily interpret?

The parts that are gibberish could be better names.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pookah posted:

I think what you're looking at as the shorthand is the variable (var) declaration, but that variable conains the result of the string of arguments from different sources, which may also include other variables declared elsewhere (but you have no idea where).

I am probably wrong but I'm just posting to be explained where I'm wrong.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The parts that are gibberish could be better names.

What? That's industry shorthand for "Small Variable Bash Read Tweet for Medium Drum n Bass".

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2022

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I agree. You want code to be elegant and efficient, but you also want it to be readable. You don't want to be the rear end in a top hat who drops in a

code:

var smVarBshRdTwtForMdnb = smBshRdVar.ValidateArgument(smTshRedBrt.CheckArgument(lkVsCmdRdBsh.FetchCells(json.Marshal(alGnTwMnRdt[0].GetCellCountVar.ToString))))

which nobody can loving parse. It's something I see people do all the time when they've gotten over the initial hump of learning to program and think they're far too clever. Then they come back to try to debug that poo poo a month later, or better yet, have to debug someone ELSE's huge loving pile of poo poo, and learn.

Or you can end up in position like my old company thought was a great idea, in which project developers were never responsible for maintaining their own garbage code after go-live and their standards would continue to get worse and worse because they never had to experience the consequences of their laziness

Meanwhile those of us on the production support team screamed into the void until we had a collective nervous breakdown dealing with stuff that even a first year hobbyist programmer would barf at

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Revins posted:

Him having his av a picture of him as a toddler is too much given everything going on lmao

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Pookah posted:

kind of yeah.

instead of naming your function something descriptive like multiplyNumberTimesTwo or whatever you name it something that you have to look up elsewhere in the codebase to even see what the function is meant to do

this is extremely time consuming and brain draining

it's also done on outwardly visible code (like javascript that executes in the browser, visible to the end-user) to obscure source code

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chainclaw posted:

hasn't he done basically everything he said he would do ahead of time? Mass layoffs, gently caress with how verification works.

He had a plan going in. It was just a plan that would destroy Twitter.

he was gonna get rid of all the bots

that's gonna be pretty hard with no developers

VVV e: gently caress, got me there. Elon wins again!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 4, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Klyith posted:

he was gonna get rid of all the bots

that's gonna be pretty hard with no developers

If he gets rid of the service there won't be any bots.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress twitter

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

gently caress twitter

many people are saying this

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

perfect

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

ben shapino posted:

yes he posted it its real

JFC. Out of all the stupid behaviour that's been reported in this thread, that has got to be the most abhorrent.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Internetjack posted:

JFC. Out of all the stupid behaviour that's been reported in this thread, that has got to be the most abhorrent.

totally

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Truth social claiming it will be bigger than Twitter is actually going to come true lmao

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ben shapino posted:

many people are saying this

I got email and phone numbers for three people and thought I was paranoid. Glad I did.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Elon Musk still loving sucks

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harminoff posted:

If he is saying that each email is unique, then isn't what he means is that each one had different spaces throughout the email, therefore being able to identify it by seeing where the double spaces are?

Pretty easy to defeat though as it's easy to see and you can just find and replace all double spaces with single.

Also, they're not Twitter employees any more and it was a personal e-mail that was sent to them rather than to their corporate e-mail. So even if they could find someone "leaking" the e-mail, so loving what? Next time, don't illegally fire people, and do so publicly, over their private email.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ben shapino posted:

kind of yeah.

instead of naming your function something descriptive like multiplyNumberTimesTwo or whatever you name it something that you have to look up elsewhere in the codebase to even see what the function is meant to do

this is extremely time consuming and brain draining

it's also done on outwardly visible code (like javascript that executes in the browser, visible to the end-user) to obscure source code

Ah, ok, so it's pointlessly obscure to the extent that even the person who wrote it is likely to be confused if they come back to it after a few months?
For full disclosure, my only experience actually using code was when I was a wee tiny child trying to transcribe simple games written in BASIC, which I remember as being completely obscure and arbitrary.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I got banned for saying honky but I am still getting alerts.

Good job firing the competent programmers already dunce.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I got banned for saying honky but I am still getting alerts.

Good job firing the competent programmers already dunce.

Elon demonstrating that he isn't remotely the talented engineer type he bills himself as with this action moreso than any of his other stupid bullshit.

Pressuring out/firing good (or at least familiar with the system) engineers that probably had fuckall to do with business decisions you didn't like as a way to appeal to the angry reactionaries really just shows that he's not just a poo poo businessman; he's got no concept what development is like. Like, Twitter's DevOps team wasn't banning people for being bigoted dickheads.

Like, I don't love all the business decisions/policies my employer has, but I'm not gonna fire DevOps over it if I became CEO tomorrow. They didn't make the decisions; they just kept the servers on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

someone said this a few days ago but chuds don't actually want a platform to talk to chuds. they want a platform to 'piss off the libs' and if elon scares off all the sane people then why would the racist loons use twitter?

yeah this is why no one uses all those right wing (or left wing) social media sites.

theres two types of twitter users. people who dont care about politics/culture war poo poo and those who do.

the ones who dont care about it will just use whatever site is more popular, because they want to see as much naruto fanart as possible or whatever

the ones who do care about it will use whatever site is more popular, because they dont want a group of likeminded people, they want to engage in the culture war. thats why they care about it.

this is true regardless of political alignment, even if the outcome is different. broadly generalizing, rightwingers want someone with 12 followers to call them an idiot so they can rail about how theyre being cancelled. leftwingers want to find someone with 12 followers who has a dumb opinion on trans people so they can point out how its dumb. one side enjoys feeling persecuted, the other side likes feeling morally and intellectually correct. neither impulse can really be fed if you just go somewhere where everyone agrees with you.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Keep the servers on

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Decon posted:

Elon demonstrating that he isn't remotely the talented engineer type he bills himself as with this action moreso than any of his other stupid bullshit.

Pressuring out/firing good (or at least familiar with the system) engineers that probably had fuckall to do with business decisions you didn't like as a way to appeal to the angry reactionaries really just shows that he's not just a poo poo businessman; he's got no concept what development is like. Like, Twitter's DevOps team wasn't banning people for being bigoted dickheads.

Like, I don't love all the business decisions/policies my employer has, but I'm not gonna fire DevOps over it if I became CEO tomorrow. They didn't make the decisions; they just kept the servers on.

He's firing half of twitter's employees because he is a worthless idiot that thinks that will save the company money.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

IShallRiseAgain posted:

He's firing half of twitter's employees because he is a worthless idiot that thinks that will save the company money.

Don't forget the part where he can use those firings to validation from his new fanbase.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Musk: hmmmmm I need to make money who should I fire

https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/1588497001398009856?s=46&t=_nvm3sZTFKTnN7Sp2VdPkg

Musk: they didn’t make any code, so they gotta go

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I can see a scenario where he just fucks around with Twitter to pull odf pump and dump crypto poo poo to multiply his money, and not really care about Twitter as anything other than that.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

hopeandjoy posted:

https://twitter.com/yohosiefgc/status/1588497001398009856?s=46&t=_nvm3sZTFKTnN7Sp2VdPkg

God fuckin' drat the replies there.

Bitter losers angry after being banned for posting racial slurs angry at ... an advertising team that probably had less than zero power over who got banned or why.

People are staggeringly loving stupid.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

hopeandjoy posted:

They’re just the only division that directly and measurably generates revenue. Probably not that important.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Decon posted:

Bitter losers angry after being banned for posting racial slurs angry at ... an advertising team that probably had less than zero power over who got banned or why.

Elon epically owned these twitter libs with a big overpay for the stock they had

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Decon posted:

yeah as funny as all this has been it still pisses me off to see people, almost all of whom have the chud standard car selfie, being like "lol good luck with your stupid lawsuit idiots get a real job" to people who just lost their jobs to the whims of a megalomaniac

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Revins posted:

yeah as funny as all this has been it still pisses me off to see people, almost all of whom have the chud standard car selfie, being like "lol good luck with your stupid lawsuit idiots get a real job" to people who just lost their jobs to the whims of a megalomaniac

cruelty is the point

but also lol that these people will make up a larger and larger percentage of the user base as the site collapses, advertisers will start coming in to take advantage of them, furthering the exodus of everyone else as their timelines fill up with mypillow and black rifle coffee ads

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
The only people left on twitter who like Elon are only placated by firing more twitter employees. I'm sure Elon's objective and thoughtful leadership won't be influence in any way.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Hear me out...Non fungible tweets!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Revins posted:

OTOH they chose to make six figures, in an absurdly high demand field, working for an international repository for hate speech and fascist propaganda

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hey check out this billionaire he'll give you $1 if you like his tweet and he tweets like 50 times a day! That's $50/day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Strategic Tea posted:

OTOH they chose to make six figures, in an absurdly high demand field, working for an international repository for hate speech and fascist propaganda

america?