Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

, the Dr. Bathattan Who Laughs

i want to read about this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

why bother anymore when it gets blown up every three years
DC is paying him to do it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

i want to read about this one
So you know how there is a Multiverse and also a Dark Multiverse and most of the Dark Multiverse is "what if Batman But Also Another Thing, but also evil, and takes over/destroys his world?"

Metal had Joker Batman lead Doomsday Batman, Aquaman Batman Who Is a Woman, Flash Batman, Cyborg Batman, Green Lantern Batman, Wonder Woman Batman, etc. in a big fight. Then the Dark Universe got beaten by metals.

Then some other stuff happened that led to Joker Batman being the right hand of Perpetua, who is the mommy of Monitor and Anti-Monitor and made the whole multiverse. She took over the multiverse and as her second in command Joker Batman was allowed to create or recruit even more evil Batmen But Also Another Thing, like Darkseid Batman and Alfred Batman and T-Rex Batman and Vampire Batman to be his minions!

The Evil Batman But Another Things found and killed Dr Manhattan Batman, aka Dr. Bathattan. They kept his corpse inside Batman Except Also a Haunted Castle, and waited for Wonder Woman to confront Joker Batman and decapitate him. This was all part of Joker Batman's plan, because once he was decapitated his minions could take his brain out of its decapitated skull and shove it into Dr. Manhattan Batman's corpse, which gave him Dr. Manhattan powers. That made him an even more powerfuller Evil Batman But Also Two Other Things.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
wait....

it's real? I thought it was just you being clever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Edge & Christian posted:

So you know how there is a Multiverse and also a Dark Multiverse and most of the Dark Multiverse is "what if Batman But Also Another Thing, but also evil, and takes over/destroys his world?"

Metal had Joker Batman lead Doomsday Batman, Aquaman Batman Who Is a Woman, Flash Batman, Cyborg Batman, Green Lantern Batman, Wonder Woman Batman, etc. in a big fight. Then the Dark Universe got beaten by metals.

Then some other stuff happened that led to Joker Batman being the right hand of Perpetua, who is the mommy of Monitor and Anti-Monitor and made the whole multiverse. She took over the multiverse and as her second in command Joker Batman was allowed to create or recruit even more evil Batmen But Also Another Thing, like Darkseid Batman and Alfred Batman and T-Rex Batman and Vampire Batman to be his minions!

The Evil Batman But Another Things found and killed Dr Manhattan Batman, aka Dr. Bathattan. They kept his corpse inside Batman Except Also a Haunted Castle, and waited for Wonder Woman to confront Joker Batman and decapitate him. This was all part of Joker Batman's plan, because once he was decapitated his minions could take his brain out of its decapitated skull and shove it into Dr. Manhattan Batman's corpse, which gave him Dr. Manhattan powers. That made him an even more powerfuller Evil Batman But Also Two Other Things.

I hate all of this.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Technically I believe most characters referred to The Batman Who Laughs But With Dr. Manhattan/Bathattan powers as "The Darkest Knight" but yes, there really was a Dr. Bathattan Who Laughs, who eventually got punched so hard he flew out of time itself by Super Golden God Wonder Woman.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Vandar posted:

I hate all of this.

This is the only good part:

Edge & Christian posted:

Batman Except Also a Haunted Castle

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
E&C you really need to summarize DC events more often.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I miss the JLI.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Technically I believe most characters referred to The Batman Who Laughs But With Dr. Manhattan/Bathattan powers as "The Darkest Knight" but yes, there really was a Dr. Bathattan Who Laughs, who eventually got punched so hard he flew out of time itself by Super Golden God Wonder Woman.

Oh wow, Wonder Woman went Super Saiyan.

What are people's thoughts on Justice League: No Justice?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

All of that is stupid but The Darkest Knight is pretty good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Opopanax posted:

All of that is stupid but The Darkest Knight is pretty good

DC wants to be absurd and fun but winds up being absurd and depressing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

DC wants to be absurd and fun but winds up being absurd and depressing.

Huh, seems like a running them with DC and Snyders.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Since Infinite Earths means every possible variation there could ever be exists then Paraiah’s world must already exist out there and he’s just wasting time and oh no I’ve gone crosseyed.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Does all of that make more sense/come across as "normal" if you're reading it monthly? It all sounds very stupid, even by normal stupid standards.

For example, if I was antagonistic towards Hickman, I could probably make a dumb sounding F4/time runs out/secret Wars by really focusing in on the storyline to where Doom ate the Beyonders power (?), but for the most part it all of it plays out "naturally" using the medium to build tension, lean on other plot lines, etc, and also doesn't really lean on Doom that much because he was one of many characters.

But DC really seems to like hanging everything on Batman so that version seems more plausible (and confusing).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Does all of that make more sense/come across as "normal" if you're reading it monthly? It all sounds very stupid, even by normal stupid standards.

Kinda? But mostly no. I liked Snyder's Batman but his JL/ events are written just like kids on the playground play-fighting and going "wouldn't it be cool if [x]?" with no idea of how to make [x] happen.

With a villain who also follows playground logic of "nuh uh, my villain already planned for his head to get chopped off".

It kinda reminds me of this old joke commercial about Michael Bay where he just wants everything "awesome"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy8_EIcl3u4

Snyder writes for cool moments more than he writes for telling an actual decent story.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zachack posted:

It's ok in th sense that these are fantastical stories with no limit to the imagination. So something crazy like "A Batman who Killed Darkseid and was contaminated by his Essence chains Superman to an intergalactic hotrod that funnels ANTILIFE into him as a stained-glass wall of prismatic kryptonite drains his cells of sunlight" sounds pretty cool.

But it's just one in like 20 pages of similar stuff and gets kind of ... Ok.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I love Batman but I think there should be a moratorium on certain things like:

1. Gotham City being completely taken over by someone/something. Every week it seems Gotham has been completely taken over by someone and it just gets so old so fast.

2. Villains killing people in the tens/hundreds/thousands. We don't need to see how serious a threat the Condiment King is now because he killed 800 orphans.

3. The Joker.

4. Intergalactic threats.

5. Everyone in the JLA saying "where's Batman?" where is Batman.

6. Batman bring the center or the world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why would superman call his mom Martha when talking about her?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Metal/Death Metal are pretty rad when they’re not trying to rewrite the multiverse. It’s pretty much Jason Aaron’s Avengers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why would superman call his mom Martha when talking about her?
it is a very odd choice when batman could likely have the very same reaction to someone saying "save my mom" with a brief shot of pearls clattering across the pavement as emphasis.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Metal/Death Metal are pretty rad when they’re not trying to rewrite the multiverse. It’s pretty much Jason Aaron’s Avengers.

Well that's a sure way to get me to not read it. I haven't been this bored with Avengers since before Bendis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I never realized dick disappeared after Jason's death. When does he interact with Tim for the first time?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 8, 2022

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Mr Hootington posted:

I never realized dick disappeared after Jason's death. When does he interact with Tim for the first time?

They first meet during the Lonely Place of Dying storyline.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Dick was off in Titans land while Jason was alive. What I’m curious to know if Nightwing interacted with Jason while he was Robin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CopywrightMMXI posted:

They first meet during the Lonely Place of Dying storyline.

Oh yeah. I forgot about Tim's entire stupid origin lol

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So my daughter has been interested in Star Wars of late and picked up the TBB Skywalker Strikes! from the local library's remainder bin, and enjoyed it. It looks like it's book 1 in a series of 14, set between ANH and ESB. As she liked the first one, is it worth seeking out the others?

(Most of her Star Wars experience has been SW lego books from the library, but she has seen ANH and wants to watch ESB and ROTJ for our next two movie nights.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Marvel SW books vary pretty widely, but I think if she liked that, it's worth continuing with. The Darth Vader series that ran roughly concurrently was also very good, as is the spinoff Doctor Aphra series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

So my daughter has been interested in Star Wars of late and picked up the TBB Skywalker Strikes! from the local library's remainder bin, and enjoyed it. It looks like it's book 1 in a series of 14, set between ANH and ESB. As she liked the first one, is it worth seeking out the others?

(Most of her Star Wars experience has been SW lego books from the library, but she has seen ANH and wants to watch ESB and ROTJ for our next two movie nights.)

From the initial launch of Marvel's Star Wars, the Star Wars main title, Vader, and Dr Aphra have all been average to great throughout. I remember liking both the Lando and Leia minis, but I bounces hard off any of the Bounty Hunter stuff.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Soonmot posted:

From the initial launch of Marvel's Star Wars, the Star Wars main title, Vader, and Dr Aphra have all been average to great throughout. I remember liking both the Lando and Leia minis, but I bounces hard off any of the Bounty Hunter stuff.

I second all of this. Dr Aphra is very commonly my favorite book of the week.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ToxicFrog posted:

okay hang on how old is she? getting the feeling Vader and Aphra are a little too mature maybe

IDW did a kids/YA series called Star Wars Adventures, and then High Republic Adventures which I actually liked a bit more than marvel's simultaneous high republic book

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, if she's like 8 probably nothing of what I said?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned -- she's 8. She's also reading well above her grade level, which makes it sometimes difficult finding stuff for her that's meaty enough to be enjoyable, but also has content that isn't too violent/scary and not wholly concerned with stuff that she has no interest in/context for. At the moment her main intake is Discworld, with breaks for Gordon Korman and Lumberjanes when she wants a snack, and the occasional Minecraft tie-in novel.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Maybe check out Star Wars The Edge of Balance. It’s published by Viz so it’s in the manga section but it reads in the American style. Viz rates it for teens but it sounds like it could be okay for your daughter

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Oh yeah, if she's like 8 probably nothing of what I said?

You're never too young to learn Darth Vader is a cold motherfucker :v:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

I love and hate how "Wonder Woman kills the bad guys" has become a Thing that people expect in big events.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vincent posted:

I love and hate how "Wonder Woman kills the bad guys" has become a Thing that people expect in big events.

Yeah. I remember when Diana snapping Max's neck felt like it was in every book that month.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Has Dario Aggar shown up anywhere since Xenmu Croenberged him?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
weird request but google is failing me.

i'm trying to find this artwork without all the Wizard text. I swear it was the included poster with the issue but I can't find anything in my searching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Just saw that cover on Transformers The Basics. Some Pat Lee art in there helped Dreamwave get the Transformers license.