Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lightpole posted:

A good part is his money and everything is so stupid Tesla stock is getting crushed, which he will have to sell if he wants Twitter to continue as a going concern, further driving down the price. Theres no genius here, only completely loving stupid. He bought at 54.20 and that 4.20 alone cost him hundreds of millions for a stupid meme.

Again you're presuming his money works like yours and mine when the motherfucker has billions. He literally loses no sleep over the money figures, because he doesn't plan on making the money in the first place.

Dude made his billions off of investing in moving money digitally, including cryptocurrency which is actively financing Russias invasion of Ukraine. That's not weird at all, especially if say, all that Tesla green tax credit money was being siphoned off as he established market dominance by being first and shutting down domestic competition.

CommieGIR posted:

Gee, I wonder how the Saudis, who just voted in favor of OPEC cutbacks that favor Putin, feel about Twitter, that they helped fund the purchase of...

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Big Nytimes article dropped, here is a non-paywalled link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/...&smid=share-url

Highlights:

quote:

Confusion and Frustration Reign as Elon Musk Cuts Half of Twitter’s Staff
The layoffs hit across many divisions, including the engineering and machine learning units, the teams that manage content moderation, and the sales and advertising departments.

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — When the ax came down at Twitter on Friday, it did not fall smoothly.

The first sign that some of the company’s 7,500 employees had been laid off came when their email accounts were shut off late Thursday. Yet they received no official word about termination and some of their Slack accounts still worked. In Twitter’s offices in Ireland and Britain, employees stayed up late waiting for the San Francisco headquarters to inform them of their job status. Some learned they were unemployed in the middle of their night.

The cuts were so haphazard that at one late-night meeting about the Twitter Blue subscription product, at least one worker was locked out of the company’s systems during the call, according to three people with knowledge of the meeting and internal messages viewed by The New York Times.

Many employees vented on Twitter. Chris Younie, a member of the partnerships team based in London, discovered he had been laid off when he checked his corporate laptop and email account after midnight and could not access the internal systems.

“So grateful this is happening at 3am,” Mr. Younie posted sarcastically on Twitter. “Really appreciate the thoughtfulness on the timing front guys.”

By early Friday, the scale of the layoffs by Elon Musk, Twitter’s new owner, was becoming clear: Roughly half of the company’s work force, or about 3,700 jobs, had been eliminated, four people with knowledge of the matter said. The cuts hit across many divisions, including the engineering and machine learning teams, the trust and safety teams that manage content moderation, and the sales and advertising departments. Rarely have layoffs this deep been made by a single individual at a tech company.

quote:

At the same time, some advertisers, which provide 90 percent of Twitter’s revenue, have paused their spending on the platform, citing fears over how the site’s content might change under Mr. Musk. That pullback accelerated on Friday as advertisers like Volkswagen Group joined the growing boycott. Civil rights groups have repeatedly warned that loosening Twitter’s content rules might lead to a rise in toxic speech.

quote:

Twitter’s communications team, which was almost entirely laid off, did not respond to a request for comment. Mr. Musk did not respond to a request for comment.

Sandra Sucher, a professor of management at Harvard University who has studied layoffs for more than a decade, said Twitter’s cuts were among the most poorly handled that she had seen. While the scale was not unprecedented, it was unusual to see layoffs done so quickly without a detailed explanation provided to workers about who was being laid off and why, she said.

“This is a master class in how not to do it,” Ms. Sucher said. “If you were going to rank order ways to upset people, telling them you’re going to do it in advance, without rationale, that is a particularly inhumane way to treat them.”

quote:

A small group of employees tuned into the meeting via video conference as Ms. Crawford walked through product updates and troubleshooting issues. Suddenly, one member of the team dropped off in the middle of the call, said three people with knowledge of the incident. The person’s access had been cut off from the Twitter network.

Many of the cuts were deep. The human rights and disability experience teams were cut back, said three people familiar with the decision. The internet technology team — which is partly responsible for keeping the site functioning — became “a skeleton crew,” two people said. The marketing, social, curation, studio and enforcement teams, and the “Redbird” division of platform and infrastructure support, were also hit.

People who work from home were targeted for cuts, two people said.

On Friday morning at Twitter’s San Francisco offices, which were closed to most employees, at least nine security guards patrolled the two buildings that make up the headquarters, pacing around the perimeter and checking that some doors were locked. On a floor above one of the lobbies, the lights overhead were dim.

Those who were not let go tried to assess who remained, according to private group messages seen by The Times. They traded notes of support for workers who lost their jobs while they were pregnant or on work visas. Some employees had volunteered to be laid off so that colleagues on visas would not lose their jobs, two people familiar with the layoffs said.

3,700 gone?! No way it can keep things running especially with this obviously being a hack job.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And if you don't think Elon musk is intentionally misstepping, consider how "he just wanted to" was enough to exonerate Tom Barrack (who can't be tried for the same crime again now).

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/jury-finds-trump-friend-tom-barrack-not-guilty-foreign-lobbying-lying-rcna55257

quote:

Barrack, who served as the chairman of Trump’s inaugural committee, was charged with acting as an agent of a foreign government without prior notification to the Justice Department, a violation that carries up to 10 years in prison. In addition, he was charged with obstruction of justice and lying to the FBI about his UAE contacts during a 2019 interview with federal agents.

Barrack, a California billionaire, had denied doing the bidding of the UAE, and maintained that he had arranged meetings between Emirati and White House officials and made media comments praising the UAE government because he wanted to, not because he was being directed to.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Big Nytimes article dropped, here is a non-paywalled link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/...&smid=share-url
3,700 gone?! No way it can keep things running especially with this obviously being a hack job.

quote:

“This is a master class in how not to do it,” Ms. Sucher said. “If you were going to rank order ways to upset people, telling them you’re going to do it in advance, without rationale, that is a particularly inhumane way to treat them.”

i'm sure ol musky sees that as a benefit, but also just lmao. twitter isn't going to last to the end of the year, is it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

i'm sure ol musky sees that as a benefit, but also just lmao. twitter isn't going to last to the end of the year, is it

The open question is about how long twitter's vendors will give them on costs and things like that.

Or they're going to somehow get a government bailout, as Cruz et al are currently going all-in on the idea that twitter is going down just because of the lefty woke mafia forcing advertisers to not like the n-word and are going to call them in front of congress for reasons.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chopping with an ax that big, he's sure to get the people who deprovision internal service accounts before much longer

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I feel like anyone with any tangible experience with coding already know this, but it's gonna be pretty funny once the wheels truly start to fly off.
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1588391497468383232

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Wow, plus would assume the usual incentive not to wreck the site would be concern about losing severance but considering how much effort musk is putting into screwing them out of that, hmm

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp, deactivated my Twitter account since Musk is only ramping up the pro-fash rhetoric. There's been at least two suspensions of verified users changing their names to Elon Musk to clown on him. So much for "free speech"!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm closing down the Twitter ferry good dogs, you must now be an insta fan
https://www.instagram.com/invites/contact/?i=1h1avx04xlz1w&utm_content=7bwv94g

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Now is OnlyFans' chance to be the digital town square.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Never fire the guys who keep the chips bags on top of the server racks refreshed.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuai_Kuai_culture

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm still on team Keep Twitter To Kill It Like Yahoo's Tumblr Investment, but it just occurred to me that Elon is attempting to neg companies into advertising on twitter now. It also fits with replyguying that incel freak earlier!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I feel like anyone with any tangible experience with coding already know this, but it's gonna be pretty funny once the wheels truly start to fly off.
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1588391497468383232

I didn’t realize Radium worked at Twitter as well; surely Musk will keep the load-bearing racist parts of the code.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Foursquare and TripAdvisor reviews are how I communicate with family and the government, so that's it

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Welp, deactivated my Twitter account since Musk is only ramping up the pro-fash rhetoric. There's been at least two suspensions of verified users changing their names to Elon Musk to clown on him. So much for "free speech"!

Yeah me too, drop in the bucket as I barely used it anymore but didn’t want to be helping that creep

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I wonder if all the people who have been Elon simping (thank you based Fetterman for teaching me this word) will realize Elon is in fact not a super mega genius or if lol yeah right they're just going to go harder on actually the woke left not being ok with nazis is the problem

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/TinaDesireeBerg/status/1588653330670444544?s=20&t=ZX3Ei9soUG7NkvoMyGJMlQ

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Twitter firings are so haphazard, employees are mass-messaging everyone and loading up a Google doc with whoever responds

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1588680977752395777?t=5P-iCeGU2kVHDKOL_wz3RQ&s=19

Move fast and break everything

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ADVERTISE ON MY PLATFORM OR I NUKE YOU

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588676939463946241

It has been seven days.

Edit: And here's a part of it - Elon's probably just now learning that Twitter only has about 15-20% of their usual advertising money booked for 2023.And they're not getting more because of Chief Twit

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1588696162261143553

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 5, 2022

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

So yeah, struggling to think of a good reason to keep my twitter account. I mainly use it for aggregating news on the Ukraine war and doomscrolling during downtime at work, so not a huge loss for me.

This really loving sucks for a lot of creative people though. I'm seeing a lot of artists/musicians/authors hemorrhaging followers left and right, and many of them have gotten the bulk of their exposure through twitter for years now. Tiny niche communities just don't get the word out in the same way.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Academia, too. This is a terrible loss of a surprisingly valuable tool for scientist-communicators to interact with the public, and for the public to ask direct questions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Threaten them, yeah that'll do it

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There's one thing i know about businesses, they like being blackmailed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

True, I wish the guy who got into trump’s Twitter had done that.

Kinda surprised Musk hasn’t gotten busted for excessive replies to young women that he doesn’t realize are viewable to everyone, seems to be in the age range for that. Poor Andy Richter.

What about Andy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What about Andy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

From the buzz (this was rumors so might be wildly off base) he was a noted unsolicited reply guy to female comedians and figures like AOC, not obscene stuff but clearly checking their profiles way more than a married father over 50 should be doing, and it was assumed it contributed to his unexpected divorce.

Might be untrue but heard it from multiple sources, so always think of it when an older male Twitter user is in the news as they didn’t know their likes or follows were visible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Godholio posted:

Kroger is buying Albertson's.

Edit: I did not realize there were FIVE MORE PAGES. Christ, you guys post fast.

Everything is crazy lately. I keep expecting the nukes to be in the air with 200 posts every time I check

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Everything is crazy lately. I keep expecting the nukes to be in the air with 200 posts every time I check

Keep Ukraine chat in the Ukraine thread thanks

I had applied for a bunch of jobs with Twitter over the past year and now I’m very very glad I didn’t get any of them. On one hand, getting fired would suck, but working for Elon Musk would suck harder.

Twitter would be better if Hank Scorpio existed and bought it.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I had applied for a bunch of jobs with Twitter over the past year and now I’m very very glad I didn’t get any of them. On one hand, getting fired would suck, but working for Elon Musk would suck harder.

Twitter would be better if Hank Scorpio existed and bought it.

On the other hand, one can't help but appreciate the masterstroke on Dorsey's part, manipulating an idiot into wiping out the chief competitor to his new project.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Everything would be better if Hank Scorpio existed and bought it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Keep Ukraine chat in the Ukraine thread thanks

Not about ukraine as such, generally when the thread explodes it's not good

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

In non-Twitter news, SpaceX shut off service to 1,300 Starlink units in Ukraine (~7% in-theatre) at the end of October when Ukraine did not pay the $2,500/month/unit they were invoicing. Their website state $110/month anywhere in the world, so IDKWTF about that.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/politics/spacex-ukraine-elon-musk-starlink-internet-outage/index.html

e: oh hey, there's a Ukraine thread, sorry

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Lake of Methane posted:

In non-Twitter news, SpaceX shut off service to 1,300 Starlink units in Ukraine (~7% in-theatre) at the end of October when Ukraine did not pay the $2,500/month/unit they were invoicing. Their website state $110/month anywhere in the world, so IDKWTF about that.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/politics/spacex-ukraine-elon-musk-starlink-internet-outage/index.html

e: oh hey, there's a Ukraine thread, sorry

I was heading here to post about that! I just told my wife (humble brag) that it was a total dick move on the part of Elon.

Previously she had been an evangelist of his.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tiny Timbs posted:

Threaten them, yeah that'll do it

This may be the best one click summary of the Twitter advertising saga:

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1588698683662831617?t=68X3kIP_oNfGvkt32bjm6Q&s=19

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just wonder what the next online public square will look like, let alone be named. It can’t have a name for posting like “toot” or the several other weird names that Twitter knock-offs have. I dunno, it has to be done differently in several ways. But it’s almost impossible to imagine anything being the friendly, inviting, well moderated place the world needs because the internet is such a loving mess of radicalism these days.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Nuclear Tourist posted:

So yeah, struggling to think of a good reason to keep my twitter account. I mainly use it for aggregating news on the Ukraine war and doomscrolling during downtime at work, so not a huge loss for me.

This really loving sucks for a lot of creative people though. I'm seeing a lot of artists/musicians/authors hemorrhaging followers left and right, and many of them have gotten the bulk of their exposure through twitter for years now. Tiny niche communities just don't get the word out in the same way.

The accessibility community is also caught between a rock and a hard place, with a lot of the most prominent and knowledgeable advocates being completely tied to Twitter. All their networks are through twitter, all their linked studies, their walls upon walls of discussions about best practices are on twitter and almost the entirety of their audience has been reached through Twitter.

They might be able to move that following on to a different platform, but their ability to further grow and build that audience has been massively crippled.

https://twitter.com/arhayward/status/1588587436661407745?s=20&t=sDJGWZIkWFZg3UIiHrAEHQ

@TwitterA11y was a direct channel for completely random people to get into contact with fairly high ranking, relevant people at places like Ubisoft, EA and Microsoft.
Now we're back where we started, having made some important connections but having lost the ability to reach more of the main stream industry through transparent networking.
Back to knowing someone who knows someone at nepotism inc.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I didn’t realize Radium worked at Twitter as well; surely Musk will keep the load-bearing racist parts of the code.

lol, I love that anecdote.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/RichyCraven/status/1588555585704071168?s=20&t=m_gz0eEAgp4UYXehKmkUSg
https://twitter.com/RichyCraven/status/1588638055380160513?s=20&t=m_gz0eEAgp4UYXehKmkUSg
https://twitter.com/TheComradeFox/status/1588729633348161536?s=20&t=m_gz0eEAgp4UYXehKmkUSg
https://twitter.com/adamrofer/status/1588733176809414657?s=20&t=m_gz0eEAgp4UYXehKmkUSg

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just wonder what the next online public square will look like, let alone be named. It can’t have a name for posting like “toot” or the several other weird names that Twitter knock-offs have. I dunno, it has to be done differently in several ways. But it’s almost impossible to imagine anything being the friendly, inviting, well moderated place the world needs because the internet is such a loving mess of radicalism these days.

I formally submit the bingo square 'Return of Usenet (attempted)' for the 2023 real-time-history bingo card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

piL posted:

I formally submit the bingo square 'Return of Usenet (attempted)' for the 2023 real-time-history bingo card.

I already check usenet every day, so no real change

Might be some more binaries I guess