Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Len posted:

Is this the thing people decided was probably a Parasite Eve remake?

Yeah lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Is this the thing people decided was probably a Parasite Eve remake?

Yup, since Symbiogenesis involves mitochondria

e: beaten. But yeah, to go from a possible Parasite Eve sequel/remake to...this...is, uh, pretty disappointing and I didn't even really find the original game that compelling.

e2:
"brand-new entertainment content"
https://twitter.com/MarioPrime/status/1588179869850116097

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 3, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was committed to playing The Chant if it was a 7/10 game but based on early reviews it's looking more like a 6/10. Some of the complaints like the linearity and shortness of the campaign don't really bother me but a few are also talking about major story and character problems, too. I'm still bored/rich enough to probably give it a shot, though.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

I was committed to playing The Chant if it was a 7/10 game but based on early reviews it's looking more like a 6/10. Some of the complaints like the linearity and shortness of the campaign don't really bother me but a few are also talking about major story and character problems, too. I'm still bored/rich enough to probably give it a shot, though.

i was excited for it when it looked like a weird story driven adventure game and got so unenthusiastic when a trailer came out and it looks like Control or some poo poo where you fight sparkly monsters with magic and dodges and there's probably a skill tree

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Control ruled, this I'm not so sure about.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Also, the synthetics might actually be scarier than the Xeno. They're a legit horror gaming nightmare in their own right.

"You and I are going to have a talk about safety." and "You are becoming hysterical." are REAL good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Morpheus posted:

Yup, since Symbiogenesis involves mitochondria

e: beaten. But yeah, to go from a possible Parasite Eve sequel/remake to...this...is, uh, pretty disappointing and I didn't even really find the original game that compelling.

e2:
"brand-new entertainment content"
https://twitter.com/MarioPrime/status/1588179869850116097

I also like how they include "and a dedicated community" in the product pitch like that's a bullet-pointed feature they've added (and not something entirely up to the hypothetical customers they're pitching this slop to).

All of these always-online, NFT-centric, GaaS, multiplayer games failed because they forgot to code in the dedicated community!

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 3, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Parasite Eve not Parasite Steve (Aoki, a DJ who is really into NFTs or something I just googled it)!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A:I synthetics remind me of the midwifes from System Shock 2. A reassuring voice from a homicidal robot is universally unsettling.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Glagha posted:

I can't get too worried about synthetics because they're so easily handled by stun prodding them and bonking them with a wrench. Or just running away they're not super threatening.

I think what people don't particularly love are the ones in the bulletproof cleansuits. On paper they provide a new spin on gameplay situated between the Frictional-style alien sequences and the more forgiving, classic resource-rationing survival horror of the standard Joes, but in practice taking away means of deleting the enemies just prolongs the stages they appear in.

I'm quite hyped for Townfall, since No Code is largely made up of creative emigres from the A:I development team, and Observation proved they very much still have it in terms of stylish sci-fi horror.

* Though let's be real, A:I's encounter design in that regard is miles ahead of any comparable Frictional sequence up to and including Rebirth. Idk whether to chalk that up to ambition, ability, or funds-at-hand. Probably all of those.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

A:I synthetics remind me of the midwifes from System Shock 2. A reassuring voice from a homicidal robot is universally unsettling.

SS2's protocol droids, too. "If my service was unsatisfactory, please note my ID number."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna have to drag Maria with me the whole rest the game am I.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

lol no

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

No thats SH4

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

SS2's protocol droids, too. "If my service was unsatisfactory, please note my ID number."
Frankly the worst thing in SS2 (aside from the cyber midwife lore, at least) was that the shotgun grunts were very clearly still conscious and coherent and able to speak, but otherwise not in control of their bodies. They either scream for you to kill them or they tell you to run, not as a taunt but an earnest plea

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've only played a little bit of Alien Isolation, but I keep hearing it's frustrating because there's no real logic to the way the alien works and it will always catch you if you hide? So you just gotta run whenever it's not close, and also crouching is completely useless? I don't know, I should get around to playing it, but that sort of stuff just scares me away.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hakkesshu posted:

I've only played a little bit of Alien Isolation, but I keep hearing it's frustrating because there's no real logic to the way the alien works and it will always catch you if you hide? So you just gotta run whenever it's not close, and also crouching is completely useless? I don't know, I should get around to playing it, but that sort of stuff just scares me away.

The main thing, iirc, is that it'll adapt to whatever tactics you use.

Dodge it by hiding in lockers a bunch? Now it'll be more careful to search them. Throw a bunch of noisemakers? It'll start ignoring the noisemaker and start checking where it came from.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Hakkesshu posted:

I.. don't think that's true. Running is just about one of the worst things you can do and is a much more direct route to being found.

It's absolutely possible to hide from the Xeno in Isolation. However it's not 100% reliable, and if you spend too long hidden or repeatedly hide in the same places, it will start finding you in those places more quickly. Crouching is fine too. You can hide by just crouching under tables, although again, this isn't risk free.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, I think one of the neat design decisions of A:I is the best way to handle the xeno is to basically keep powerwalking. If you move too slow or hide too much, it will track you down. It was a clever twist on the Amnesia style game that makes you feel more vulnerable even if it's the best way of doing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the alien works on a hidden “leash” that keeps it from straying too far from your location and gradually shortens the more you linger in one place. it’s less “sprint everywhere” and more “just keep moving”

and don’t play on hard, because that locks the leash to its shortest setting and makes the alien near-inescapable

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hakkesshu posted:

That's not true at all. It's more that if you just hide in a locker expecting the alien to just gently caress off, it won't. It'll keep circling around your general area and if you just stay there eventually it'll check the locker and kill you. Crouching won't stop it from seeing you across the room like it would in other games it has extremely good vision, but it will let you hide behind and under objects which is crucial. Like other people said it's more you can't just hide and wait for it to go away because it won't, it'll keep wandering near you until it finds you, you have to hide and wait until it isn't looking or wanders out of the room, and then move before it comes back. It just kind of works differently than most horror game monsters where your just hide until you get caught and then run away and hide in a locker or something. That just doesn't work on the alien because it WILL catch you. Instead you just kind of... Dodge it a lot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Basic Chunnel posted:

Frankly the worst thing in SS2 (aside from the cyber midwife lore, at least) was that the shotgun grunts were very clearly still conscious and coherent and able to speak, but otherwise not in control of their bodies. They either scream for you to kill them or they tell you to run, not as a taunt but an earnest plea

The pipe mutants bellowing "I'm sorrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy" as they rain blows down on your head is also unsettling.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like that everyone who has played A:I has a story about stepping on the alien's tail.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

al-azad posted:

I like that everyone who has played A:I has a story about stepping on the alien's tail.

Why is its tail like 8 feet long????

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

al-azad posted:

The worst thing is when you’re hiding under a table and the tail just sneaks under there with you as the Alien walks past.

I don’t know where the “hit detection” starts or ends so it’s always tense as gently caress trying not to touch it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It is an absurdly long tail by canon standards but I wonder if it was a gameplay conceit so that you usually see the tail around blind corners or snaking out from a vent.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Actually my favorite thing is how physics objects actually block line of sight so when I made a noise on accident and the alien came over and shoved its head under the desk to find me, the bag that just happened to be sitting under the desk next to me was enough cover to hide behind and it didn't see me.

Edit:

al-azad posted:

It is an absurdly long tail by canon standards but I wonder if it was a gameplay conceit so that you usually see the tail around blind corners or snaking out from a vent.
That's actually a really good point the tail is really good for keeping track of it when it's close without sticking your head out. That and the sound design is really good so you can track the alien's giant thumpy footsteps despite the fact that its supposed to be the perfect predator.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

some footage of Kojima's new game Overdose leaked https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJv7lDXu3XM

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't really understand that and is the true horror the shirtless body of the dude taking the vid

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

it looks like a mobile game. theres a woman in the corner of the video playing it on her phone, i think

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Something with someone playing on a phone while a TV player interacts somehow?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some kind of wild Jackbox party horror game is the kind of poo poo I'm surprised Kojima hasn't made yet.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Really excited for you to play Observation!

I am loving Observation so far! I somehow missed out on the fact that I'd basically be playing HAL 9000, but it works so well with NoCodes point and click style puzzles. Really curious now if their Silent Hill will play this way, and how they'd get that to work with the setting.

Anyway, just gained access to the UN part of the station. Eager to see what comes next.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Silent Hill was in the Pacific Northwest, why would there be a civil war era prison.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I thought Silent Hill was in the Pacific Northwest, why would there be a civil war era prison.

the canonical silent hill is in maine so a civil war-era prison wouldn't be too out of place

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vermain posted:

the canonical silent hill is in maine so a civil war-era prison wouldn't be too out of place

I forgot it was in Maine, I hope the SH2 remake fills it up with Stephen King-accented characters spouting ominous lines like "why, they-ah's not been a hotel in town since it burnt down, nigh on forty year ago"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot it was in Maine, I hope the SH2 remake fills it up with Stephen King-accented characters spouting ominous lines like "Ayuh."

FTFY. :colbert:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The games never specify where Silent Hill is (at least not in the first four).

The movie puts it in Virginia and I assume the games that came after it did the same since they took so many other things from the movie.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I forgot it was in Maine, I hope the SH2 remake fills it up with Stephen King-accented characters spouting ominous lines like "why, they-ah's not been a hotel in town since it burnt down, nigh on forty year ago"
why not just play Alan Wake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Crowetron posted:

The games never specify where Silent Hill is (at least not in the first four).

yeah, it's something you piece together almost entirely from secondary materials. i think the most direct it gets is the instruction manual for the first game stating it's somewhere in new england, but maine specifically only comes up outside the games proper