Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

it's important to remember that DoFo's core constituency in the 905 are pretty rabidly anti-union too, and they will not stand with CUPE when their kids are home for the day

Well trip report from the picket line in the 905, a few thousand people showed up in front of a MPPs office, then people started taking shifts. Lots of support, I saw about 5 different unions represented. There were two lonseome anarchists standing around with their flag, and a woman with a DICTATOR DOUG placard that had Doug Ford photoshopped as Stalin.

A good start, but I worry about the financial cost of carrying on. $4k/day per person is a lot of cash and these people aren't paid well to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Dreylad posted:

Well trip report from the picket line in the 905, a few thousand people showed up in front of a MPPs office, then people started taking shifts. Lots of support, I saw about 5 different unions represented. There were two lonseome anarchists standing around with their flag, and a woman with a DICTATOR DOUG placard that had Doug Ford photoshopped as Stalin.

A good start, but I worry about the financial cost of carrying on. $4k/day per person is a lot of cash and these people aren't paid well to begin with.

hopefully judges are in a snit enough about this that they either don’t apply the fine or they set a payment term of a million years or something.

saw both libertarian types and even some the gently caress Trudeau people where I was. there actually are a couple of true believers in “are freedums”

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Dreylad posted:

I think the $4K fine is a mistake from the government. For most CUPE workers you may as well fine them infinity billion dollars a day. So the threat becomes empty, because they can't possibly pay it anyway. Whereas a smaller fine of a few hundred dollars would have actually been much more scary.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

FWIW Unifor is pledging $100k to pay the fines for workers, CUPE has already said they're telling the government to shove it and won't pay their $500k fine.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...egislation.html

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Isizzlehorn posted:

FWIW Unifor is pledging $100k to pay the fines for workers, CUPE has already said they're telling the government to shove it and won't pay their $500k fine.

carve it out of those rat bag “unions” that supported that poo poo sack

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Calumanjaro posted:

I think the $4K fine is a mistake from the government. For most CUPE workers you may as well fine them infinity billion dollars a day. So the threat becomes empty, because they can't possibly pay it anyway. Whereas a smaller fine of a few hundred dollars would have actually been much more scary.

Yeah and CUPE says it'll cover their members as well, it's just tough. There was a woman there who works as a school secretary who was having trouble keeping it together because she's on the verge of bankruptcy and already works a second job. :smith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

if the government were to actually enforce the fines they put in the bill, Unifor's $100k would cover 25 workers striking for a single day

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

thehoodie posted:

all parents will stand behind the gov't and parents are the biggest support base of conservatives, or some bullshit like that. sadly might be true because the world is terrible

I assure you, it is true.

Nobody hates unions more than the 905s and such transparently unconstitutional efforts to crush labour will only bolster tory support.

Ontario fuckin blows

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

former glory posted:

GOOOOOOOO CUPE :cheersdoge:

In what world do they (govt) think they'll have public support for this tactic, against this union specifically, and right now when nearly everyone is acutely aware of inflation and how it hits these members first, and hardest.

Lots of parents hate spending time with their kids OP

Combine that with the media running sob stories about teachers not caring about their students or whatever and I don't see this ending well for CUPE, or labour rights in general. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

Legit question from a non-Ontarioan - Is there anything someone not in Ontario can do to support CUPE / CUPE members, financially or otherwise?

ColdBlooded has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Nov 4, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's kind of surprising there's like no review bit to the notwithstanding clause, like a referendum or the relevant supreme court has to go "Yes, this is justified" but hey, we only made this up in the 1980s we had no idea what politics were then

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Are the fines being levied through the use of the Notwithstanding clause? Feels like that's an avenue to obviate them in the event of a political settlement to the crisis, just say "on second thought the clause doesn't apply so the fines are retroactively cancelled".

Of course that assumes they actually win the political showdown first! Really hard to take the temperature of the situation from BC.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Dolash posted:

Of course that assumes they actually win the political showdown first! Really hard to take the temperature of the situation from BC.

The Ontario tories won a substantial election like, 4 months ago or something so this ultimately is unlikely to bite them on the rear end since the voters will forget about it within the next year irrespective of what happens

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

it's kind of surprising there's like no review bit to the notwithstanding clause, like a referendum or the relevant supreme court has to go "Yes, this is justified" but hey, we only made this up in the 1980s we had no idea what politics were then

It feels very funny in contrast to the fact there's ongoing hearings for the emergency powers act.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

drat horror queefs posted:

The Ontario tories won a substantial election like, 4 months ago or something so this ultimately is unlikely to bite them on the rear end since the voters will forget about it within the next year irrespective of what happens

Popular support in electoral politics is only tangentially related to the political power of unions, though, which comes from their organizational ability to hold out for the demands of their membership. You don't need to win over the Conservative base to force a government to begrudgingly come to the table and ink a deal that ends a crisis.

I guess what I'm curious about is whether those conservative voters' spite is stronger than their desire to get their kids back out of their house no matter the price, given that the money involved is purely an abstract notion to them but their chosen premier failing to get things "back to normal" is an actual material condition.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

the theoretical review process is that any use of the notwithstanding clause has a 5-year sunset period, and provincial elections are held every four years, so if the voters of a province disapprove of the use of the notwithstanding clause, before the 5-year period expires they have the option to elect a new government that will not repeat it

in practice, lol

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

the theoretical review process is that any use of the notwithstanding clause has a 5-year sunset period, and provincial elections are held every four years, so if the voters of a province disapprove of the use of the notwithstanding clause, before the 5-year period expires they have the option to elect a new government that will not repeat it

in practice, lol

"voting for doug ford act" it is now mandatory to vote for doug ford :tipshat:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

if the voters of a province disapprove of the use of the notwithstanding clause, before the 5-year period expires they have the option to elect a new government that will not repeat it

now that's a depressing thought

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

voting rights aren't subject to notwithstanding thankfully but still a funny idea and I'm sure they could find a way to make it work

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
these are the constitutionally-protected rights that can be arbitrarily taken away by any provincial government at any time according to the "because I said so" clause

fun to think about just what a truly evil government could do in five years if they decided to overrule all these rights in every bill

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
quebec notwithstanding (heh) you would assume the federal government would step in at that point, but of course that depends entirely on the federal government at the time.

we get some conservative provincial/federal synergy going and you could see some serious poo poo

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

infernal machines posted:

quebec notwithstanding (heh) you would assume the federal government would step in at that point, but of course that depends entirely on the federal government at the time.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/we-will-win-ontario-education-workers-refuse-to-back-down-as-schools-close-indefinitely-1.6137585 posted:

4 p.m.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he spoke to unions Friday morning and that his government is looking at "all options."

"It is a very, very serious thing to suspend people's rights and freedoms," Trudeau said while in Toronto."The pre-emptive use of the notwithstanding clause is actually an attack on people's fundamental rights."

Ehhh don't hold your breath

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to be clear, i do not expect the federal liberals to lift a finger on behalf of organized labour either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also in labour unrest: probably going to see a strike from atu 1587, the metrolinx workers local, come monday

it's a great time to get off the go

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://twitter.com/Evan_Hadfield/status/1588526426231164929

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Disallowance is a cool word but I don't see the federal Libs having the political capital to invoke it for the first time in 80 years to overrule the province, even if they genuinely wanted to do a Good Thing. The Tory machines would have a field day.

Anyways, swung through the Queens Park picket/protest this morning for about 45 minutes and it was pretty tight. Lots of other unions' flags out there, big energy, good honks from the cars driving by (up until the cops shut down University Ave around 10, ACAB)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dieselfruit posted:

Disallowance is a cool word but I don't see the federal Libs having the political capital to invoke it for the first time in 80 years to overrule the province, even if they genuinely wanted to do a Good Thing. The Tory machines would have a field day.

they are currently being propped up by the ndp and if jagmeet had any stones this would be a confidence issue right now

it's possible for a minority government to have more immediate concerns than the conservative outrage machine, and the only reason they don't is that the ndp has fully abandoned labour

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

dieselfruit posted:

Anyways, swung through the Queens Park picket/protest this morning for about 45 minutes and it was pretty tight. Lots of other unions' flags out there, big energy, good honks from the cars driving by (up until the cops shut down University Ave around 10, ACAB)

I think they need to use it. Quebec has already used the notwithstanding clause to bludgeon minorities. And Alberta and Saskatchewan are lining up behind Ontario. The feds must use dissallowance or else I can see Canada starting to unravel as a cohesive entity.

Further, other posters have mentioned that Ford is unlikely to suffer politically because the next election is 4 years off. This is also true for the liberals.

I also don't think people care about abuses of power, so long as they support the actions taken.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Why would the Liberals want to take away a safety valve for the next time they feel like legislating an end to a strike.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Rutibex posted:

you’d still get goons in the other thread yelling that you need to vote and the result is good because it was what we voted for.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
“looking at all the options” means “let the free market handle it”.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

"we're waiting for the market research data to come back before taking a firm position"

Segue
May 23, 2007

We're in the maximalist policy option phase. PM Pierre Poilievre will probably use Disallowment when a province passes its own climate plan when he cancels them all.

Justin is a coward but the Cons aren't. This poo poo sucks, but gotta keep fighting and not back down on any front. Power to unions.

Also Metrolinx maintenance is going on strike Monday. poo poo is gonna go down (my lovely white collar union just voted 82% on an awful new contract. Cowards.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
lol even sid sexeiro was tearing the ford government a new one on breakfast television. when the loving breakfast tv yelling dude is mad at you you've hosed up dougie

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the Liberals wont use disallowance because they agree with Ford and labour must be crushed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

thankfully their minority government is being propped up by the ndp, surely jagmeet has something to say on the subject

https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1588557040297070593

that's a start, now on the subject of not backing down...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

voting rights aren't subject to notwithstanding thankfully but still a funny idea and I'm sure they could find a way to make it work

section 7 is the one that says they can't execute me for no reason. so i think they could figure out something

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

the Liberals wont use disallowance because they agree with Ford and labour must be crushed

This is why I lmao every time someone bitches about FPTP

who gives a gently caress if 3/10 people vote for the Blue Cravens if another 3/10's principal objection is "i prefer my Cravens Red"

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

same with NDP

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
madone

https://twitter.com/QueensParkToday/status/1588534376845172743

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormaldehydeSon