Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of Thomas, new Jan 6th emails just dropped! I think we knew about them from a few quotes from a judge's ruling but I guess they're now public?

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/02/trump-lawyers-saw-justice-thomas-as-only-chance-to-stop-2020-election-certification-00064592

Seems to show pretty clearly that they thought Thomas would help them, and that everyone knew the fraud claims were bullshit. So pretty bad for them!

Inadvertently made public at that!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1587880117828997120

Eastman's legal team: "Here's a dropbox link. Don't look at it. Also, it's going to remain live so when you have to include it in a submission to the Appeals Court, reporters are probably going to find it and try it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's the kind of whoopsie you make after eating a big bowl of chili for lunch

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
No way in the hell is there someone with the last name being that close to “Cheesebro”.

Also just quietly laughing at how in the year 2022, twice has an inept lawyer given an open link to their client’s crimes.txt .

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kenneth Chesebro is the dude who came up with the Jan 6th plan and his hilarious name pops up all over.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Kenneth Chesebro is the dude who came up with the Jan 6th plan and his hilarious name pops up all over.

"now, during your first meeting with Mr. Cheesebro, was he-Sir! this is congressional testimony! please compose yourself!"

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Am I reading correctly that in their own private emails they're describing the likelihood that Justice Thomas will help them as "1 percent"? Not really a smoking gun...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oracle posted:

Looks like. Too bad its not a trial its just a hearing, and the DOJ isn't going to move before midterms.

Xiahou Dun posted:

What does that have to do with the price of fish?

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think it moves the needle much.

1/3 of the country already knows these people are criminals and despises MAGA to the core, another third is tuned out and burnt out on all of it and the final third has already shown time and time again that any evidence regarding or attempt to prosecute crimes based on such is fabricated made up fake news false flag biased Soros funded witch hunts picking on poor Trump and trying to take down the Great Savior American Patriot.

I find that a bit depressing but here we are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

negativeneil posted:

Am I reading correctly that in their own private emails they're describing the likelihood that Justice Thomas will help them as "1 percent"? Not really a smoking gun...

The smoking gun is that they knew the fraud claims were fraudulent when Trump made them. Thomas stuff is just a bonus

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait was this the same guy Trump wanted to fire the attorney general and replace him with? Some mid-level Justice Dept loser?

Oh no, that was Jeffrey Clark, my bad.

Also seriously considering going for a law degree because if these idiots can pass the bar…?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Oracle posted:

Wait was this the same guy Trump wanted to fire the attorney general and replace him with? Some mid-level Justice Dept loser?

Oh no, that was Jeffrey Clark, my bad.

Also seriously considering going for a law degree because if these idiots can pass the bar…?

Are you rich and is your daddy a judge/senator already?
These are important.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

mobby_6kl posted:

The smoking gun is that they knew the fraud claims were fraudulent when Trump made them. Thomas stuff is just a bonus

Ahh ok that makes sense. Is their knowing the claims were bs something that's implicit in the "1 percent" statement or is there a more explicit admission? Because I could see them easily explaining the 1% as "we just assumed SCOTUS would be too scared to join us in our patriotic endeavors" or some poo poo.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

negativeneil posted:

Ahh ok that makes sense. Is their knowing the claims were bs something that's implicit in the "1 percent" statement or is there a more explicit admission? Because I could see them easily explaining the 1% as "we just assumed SCOTUS would be too scared to join us in our patriotic endeavors" or some poo poo.

The emails (and others) are about removing the numbers from the statement asserting "x amount of votes were fraudulent in Georgia" because Trump would have to sign off on the affidavit and signing off on the incorrect numbers would constitute perjury. With the overarching discussion happening because they are hoping that the Supreme Court's consideration of the case will lead to a delay in certification of the vote.

Effectively they are filing what they know to be a fraudulent case strictly to delay and obstruct the finalization of the Georgia vote, which I'm pretty sure is illegal in one way or another.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

idiotsavant posted:

The emails (and others) are about removing the numbers from the statement asserting "x amount of votes were fraudulent in Georgia" because Trump would have to sign off on the affidavit and signing off on the incorrect numbers would constitute perjury. With the overarching discussion happening because they are hoping that the Supreme Court's consideration of the case will lead to a delay in certification of the vote.

Effectively they are filing what they know to be a fraudulent case strictly to delay and obstruct the finalization of the Georgia vote, which I'm pretty sure is illegal in one way or another.

Yes, but the even bigger deal is that means they knew they were committing a crime, thus fulfilling the "corrupt intent" clause of the charge. Up until their was always the specter that Trump would swear up and down that nope, he totally believed it was election fraud, he's just that dumb.

It's a big deal because that's legally about as close as you can get to proving intent short of psychic powers.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ringo Star Get posted:

No way in the hell is there someone with the last name being that close to “Cheesebro”.
That's the French version of the name. Around here we just call him "Quarter Pounder Bro".

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Paper shredders, burn bins, and toilets have existed for years. Think of all the documentation we don't have from their criminal activities. Instead of house arrest with gps locator anklets, we've graduated to a new level of sci-fi criminal monitoring: Here we need 24/7 audio visual recordings of every utterance, a dozen watchers to tag transcripts for review. Bleh a few score seem to need implants with remote electric shock therapy.

What's it say about a country when it can't conduct honest government without 1984?

A much easier solution would be to start electing good public servants.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What's it say about a country when it can't conduct honest government without 1984?

A much easier solution would be to start electing good public servants.

The bad public servants are making that a much more daunting thing to do, unfortunately

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1588269587862196224

Its like having a folder named \dontlookinheremom\

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/news-aggtwvftwx0
https://twitter.com/AVindman/status/1587988276442537985

OgNar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 4, 2022

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
“Peekaboo”? Cutting your nicknames a bit sharp these days, eh? Is he saving the full out racist name calling for the post indictment call to Hannity?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Is it just me or have Trump's posts on Truth lost something? It's like the higher character limit lets him ramble longer and the tweets lose some of their punchiness.

Sad!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Murgos posted:

“Peekaboo”? Cutting your nicknames a bit sharp these days, eh? Is he saving the full out racist name calling for the post indictment call to Hannity?
Letitia "Peekaboo" James sounds like she would be played by Pam Grier and would have kicked Trump's butt in the 70s when he was a slumlord.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Murgos posted:

I don’t even get it?

I just kind of am assuming it’s an old racist thing I don’t understand.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t even get it?

I just kind of am assuming it’s an old racist thing I don’t understand.

Murgos posted:

think of some old timey slurs that end with "-aboo" and you've got it

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I always thought of it as this

https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/1572681157262843904

"On the other hand, Newsweek notes that term is “archaic,” and former Trump fixer Michael Cohen thinks the “J-word” is “not an option.” While Cohen has testified before Congress that Trump is a “racist,” he told Insider that “there’s no chance” Trump would use such an obvious (near) racial slur against James in public."

When asked if it was something Urban Dictionary related...
“There’s no way in the world that Donald Trump knows the Urban Dictionary,” Cohen told Insider. “Considering he doesn’t even know the English dictionary.”

Most just think its Dementia.

gregday
May 23, 2003

OgNar posted:

I always thought of it as this

https://twitter.com/BettyBowers/status/1572681157262843904

"On the other hand, Newsweek notes that term is “archaic,” and former Trump fixer Michael Cohen thinks the “J-word” is “not an option.” While Cohen has testified before Congress that Trump is a “racist,” he told Insider that “there’s no chance” Trump would use such an obvious (near) racial slur against James in public."

When asked if it was something Urban Dictionary related...
“There’s no way in the world that Donald Trump knows the Urban Dictionary,” Cohen told Insider. “Considering he doesn’t even know the English dictionary.”

Most just think its Dementia.

His dementia addled brain combined jiggaboo and pickaninny.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

gregday posted:

His dementia addled brain combined jiggaboo and pickaninny.

It's like one of those synthetic drugs thats technically legal because it's been changed to be chemically distinct from existing scheduled substances, but biosimilar enough to produce the same effect.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://twitter.com/realtuckfrumper/status/1588692330634424320?s=46&t=IGyZpDKPKTu5oy0wCCwSUg

Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Just in time for him to announce he's running and then everything go on pause b/c he's a candidate

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am now suddenly motivated to vote harder. /s

What a loving joke lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Just in time for him to announce he's running and then everything go on pause b/c he's a candidate

Being a candidate wouldn't affect anything, but also lol loving limp-dicked assholes need to stop giving him more time.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Someone looked at the calendar and realized that publicly pouting about Trump ignoring them days before the election was not a good idea. So, they gave it another week.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's fair that no one will pay attention right now, but next week could be even worse. Elections, hurricanes, DOJ investigations in the news, special masters. Next, three weeks of whining about stolen elections then months of manual recounts.

Let this be a lesson kids: Prosecutions and indictments need no procrastination.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It makes a bit more sense if you go look at the single tweet that the entire article is sources from, instead of filtering it through two layers of telephone.

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1588681517328629760

So his lawyer sent them something saying he couldn't or wouldn't produce papers by the deadline, and so they gave a few extra days (from the wording and the fact they gave more time, "couldn't" is more likely than "wouldn't") but are not moving the deposition date.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

It makes a bit more sense if you go look at the single tweet that the entire article is sources from, instead of filtering it through two layers of telephone.

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1588681517328629760

So his lawyer sent them something saying he couldn't or wouldn't produce papers by the deadline, and so they gave a few extra days (from the wording and the fact they gave more time, "couldn't" is more likely than "wouldn't") but are not moving the deposition date.

I expect Trumps counsel submitted something along the lines of, “we’d love to help you but we’re super busy right now.” So the committee is playing the game, calling their bluff and extending a week.

If they just straight up were like, nah, after trumps lawyers did actually engage with them it would be tough to convince people (DoJ, a Judge, a jury) that a week delay was really so onerous.

Yes, it’s likely just delay for the sake of delay, but if you want to eventually convince a jury that you were totally reasonable and the other guy is the problem then you have to actually act reasonable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

I expect Trumps counsel submitted something along the lines of, “we’d love to help you but we’re super busy right now.” So the committee is playing the game, calling their bluff and extending a week.

If they just straight up were like, nah, after trumps lawyers did actually engage with them it would be tough to convince people (DoJ, a Judge, a jury) that a week delay was really so onerous.

Yes, it’s likely just delay for the sake of delay, but if you want to eventually convince a jury that you were totally reasonable and the other guy is the problem then you have to actually act reasonable.

Apparently he's planning to announce his candidacy that same day, on the 14th. This will probably not impress the DOJ.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If they serve him with papers at his announcement it will prove we're in the weirdest timeline.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
The should have started on this a year ago.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cranappleberry posted:

The should have started on this a year ago.

The committee's been on "this" for more than a year.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The committee's been on "this" for more than a year.

I mean they should have subpoenaed Trump a year ago.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cranappleberry posted:

I mean they should have subpoenaed Trump a year ago.

They didn't have the supporting testimony to know what to ask him about a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

If they serve him with papers at his announcement it will prove we're in the weirdest timeline.

Slip someone into the front of the crowd during the meet and greet. Like that crazy bug eyed lady trying to throw her baby at Trump over the barricade to have him be blessed by the golden pissesed one, only the baby has a subpoena strapped to their coveralls this time.