Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Random Stranger posted:

Anyone remember the AI Microsoft trained on Twitter and it went from "Hello. I am a robot," to "Hitler did nothing wrong," in two days?

Fascism, uh, finds a way.

e: poop snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mozi posted:

code:
WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(
                  storage.GetUserData(
                                browser.GetAttributes(
                                               "loggedInUserID"))
                   .visualPrefs)
there ya go, approved

really though removing code is supposed to involve refactoring things out and making it more sensible and readable, in some cases this is easier than others

yeah you can go out of your way with line breaks if you really want, but most people aren't maliciously writing unreadably long compound lines and the 80 character ruler in a text editor is a handy marker to let you know it's time to reign it in a bit

or time to write a drat function instead of a 5th nested scope block

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Blarghalt posted:

Musk will either

1.) quietly sell off the company to the saudis and other shady types while twitter becomes a living FOX News adspace filled with spam for dick pills and prescription pillows and the site begins a long death march to myspace obscurity

2.) [Please, God, this one] Musk's ego refuses to let him admit defeat and he actively starts cannibalizing SpaceX and Tesla to prop up this doomed venture and while he doesn't end up intentionally killing himself, he probably ends up drunk driving or something one night to deal with the stress and ends up with a telephone pole halfway inside his tesla, which then explodes

2 would be the best way for this all to end. Musk's Tesla malfunctions and locks him in after a crash, then it's lovely batteries catch fire and burn him to death. A Tesla team of lawyers show up to argue and threaten first responders into not implicating Tesla in the cause of death.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

the coding standard that hasn't been updated at work since the 90s still specifies an 80 character column max, and i enforce that with delight in code reviews because it really does prevent a lot of abuse like WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)

it's not a silver bullet and there are times for exceptions, but it's probably the only good thing i have to say about the code style we're supposed to follow in our corporate process manuals

80 columns max rules. Beyond forcing a sane style, being able to fit two columns of code side-by-side on a laptop is an absolute godsend.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bad Purchase posted:

the coding standard that hasn't been updated at work since the 90s still specifies an 80 character column max, and i enforce that with delight in code reviews because it really does prevent a lot of abuse like WebBrowser.ApplyPreferences(storage.GetUserData(browser.GetAttributes("loggedInUserID")).visualPrefs)

it's not a silver bullet and there are times for exceptions, but it's probably the only good thing i have to say about the code style we're supposed to follow in our corporate process manuals

ITS YOU!

you are the person encouraging the use of emojis as variable names in modern programming!

Saw a short video explaining why not use emojis as variable names? why can't setting someone's birthday be simply

🎂= user.birthday;

God, explaining it just gives me more headaches

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Right now 4 of the top 10 posts on the reddit front page are about Musk eating poo poo.

:lol:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the best solution is to get your teams to adopt an auto formatter and run all files through it before committing them, but that can be too disruptive on legacy projects where that would basically make every file show up as brand new in the diffs. also works really well for some stuff like python with well defined community standards and mostly sensible syntax, but i've never found a c++ formatter that does a good job and can figure out the twisted nightmare of preprocessor macros generating templates and stuff like that.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
me bursting into the Twitter offices with poo poo smeared on my face: "WE JUST GOTTA CHARGE $1 TO LIKE A TWEET" *farts*

elon: "hire this man"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
A lot of modern languages even come with their own standard formatting tools to enforce code style. They don’t fix godawful variable names though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cheesus posted:

This I can believe.

I am in software and I was was wondering if this meant the difference between lines added and lines removed, or just lines added.

Either way, lmao

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

A lot of modern languages even come with their own standard formatting tools to enforce code style. They don’t fix godawful variable names though.

gently caress you Go, I just want to check if it'll work real quick.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Why have humans around to code when he could just use AI to build twitter. Just dump the codebase into github's copilot, mix it with siri, and you're done, you can ask it to code for you.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
He's 100% going to blame twitter failing on "the left", and it'll make him go even more fash.

Joy

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chainclaw posted:

Why have humans around to code when he could just use AI to build twitter. Just dump the codebase into github's copilot, mix it with siri, and you're done, you can ask it to code for you.

honestly, I think a good open source AI tool that is not copilot will come along and do this.

what the new tool or copilot will give you something to run to do what you ask

it will also not be efficient if you go beyond something like "//open file" or anything that requires to be fast and efficient.

every night we had all of Europe's credit card transactions come in for our clients. the file was 4gigs compressed. Since it was just text, it expanded into ungodly massive size.

You cannot ask copilot to write a db query to load terabytes of data and expect the result to be fast. The database admins made their salt by making efficient staged loads so it didn't take all day to load the data.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Made their salt.

I like that expression.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

deoju posted:

Right now 4 of the top 10 posts on the reddit front page are about Musk eating poo poo.

:lol:

At a glance it's kind of astonishing the night and day difference between the number of hangers on seen on Twitter vs Reddit, I wonder how much of this is Musk manipulating his engagement numbers. I wouldn't put it past him to give himself hundreds of thousands of fake likes

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/arb/status/1588619837160722432?s=46&t=0Yw7W4UrsQ6UAgsjaiPKkg
If you’re currently verified then you might as well blow your check mark on an Elon dunk right now. I’m hoping more will do this because invariably the stans are gonna keep falling for it

Account suspended, guess the free speech policy hasn't taken effect yet

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

honestly, I think a good open source AI tool that is not copilot will come along and do this.

what the new tool or copilot will give you something to run to do what you ask

it will also not be efficient if you go beyond something like "//open file" or anything that requires to be fast and efficient.

every night we had all of Europe's credit card transactions come in for our clients. the file was 4gigs compressed. Since it was just text, it expanded into ungodly massive size.

You cannot ask copilot to write a db query to load terabytes of data and expect the result to be fast. The database admins made their salt by making efficient staged loads so it didn't take all day to load the data.

that's a lot of building complex software, especially video games. You have designers using high level languages like C#, Lua, or visual scripting. Then you hit performance bottlenecks and bring in the C++ people. If that's not enough, you bring in the C++ people with wizard beards that wear sweatpants and flip flops to the office. If that's not enough, you go deeper than C++, assembly or something else.

Speaking of games, this thread doesn't talk about the one good thing Elon Musk has worked on enough, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for the Sega CD.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i hope someone convinced him to be a ride along for a documentary of the takeover of twitter

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Philthy posted:

i hope someone convinced him to be a ride along for a documentary of the takeover of twitter

:pray:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He'd demand full editorial control.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hotdog feet posted:

me bursting into the Twitter offices with poo poo smeared on my face: "WE JUST GOTTA CHARGE $1 TO LIKE A TWEET" *farts*

elon: "hire this man"

unironically, the SA model of charging people to post would have been a lot less toxic than his plan to pay to be verified (without the verification part). For the advertisers and brands, its not just all of the hate speech that is gonna show up next to their ads, its that it'll be trivial to get verified, change your name to "NABISC0" and start tweeting out crazy poo poo. All with a little verification sticker saying you paid $8 to prove that you're, ummmm, somebody with a credit card

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

All with a little verification sticker saying you paid $8 to prove that you're, ummmm, somebody with asomeone else's stolen credit card

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's official. Saying honky in any context is hateful conduct.

That platform is over. What next?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

dphi posted:

Yeah and this is just a tiny little nibble of how bad it’s gonna be when everyone can get that checkmark. Only times this happened before was someone blowing their own account or someone being hacked. This is gonna be an insane clusterfuck and I kinda feel sorry for the one moderator they probably have left who’s gonna have to deal with this from Monday

https://twitter.com/tinadesireeberg/status/1588653330670444544?s=46&t=0Yw7W4UrsQ6UAgsjaiPKkg

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The Something Awful Forums are back

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Chainclaw posted:

that's a lot of building complex software, especially video games. You have designers using high level languages like C#, Lua, or visual scripting. Then you hit performance bottlenecks and bring in the C++ people. If that's not enough, you bring in the C++ people with wizard beards that wear sweatpants and flip flops to the office. If that's not enough, you go deeper than C++, assembly or something else.

Speaking of games, this thread doesn't talk about the one good thing Elon Musk has worked on enough, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for the Sega CD.

It always amuses me that there is a direct correlation between "jesus christ how do you live with yourself" and programming expertise.

exception being like, Linus Torvalds looks alright? Gates was a dork but not shlubby. [but also more on the business side afaik]

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It’s somehow only been days between “print your code for Lone to review” to mass firings and the cancel culture style complaints. It’s a hell of a speed run he’s doing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I hope those assholes enjoy their echo chamber I guess.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

kazil posted:

Truth social claiming it will be bigger than Twitter is actually going to come true lmao

Trump is going to be proven to be the bigger business genius just because he knows when to stop alienating his source of revenue.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

AOL chatrooms are back, baby.

A/S/L?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

deoju posted:

AOL chatrooms are back, baby.

A/S/L?

51 no and over here.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Unlucky7 posted:

I am in software and I was was wondering if this meant the difference between lines added and lines removed, or just lines added.

Either way, lmao

Ah, here we go

https://twitter.com/nemanjaYVR/status/1588652448591540224?s=20&t=6m_vFJLdynQzD3SPTv76cg

:rubby:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Strategic Tea posted:

OTOH they chose to make six figures, in an absurdly high demand field, working for an international repository for hate speech and fascist propaganda

gottem

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah all those twitter employees should've plied their trade at an ethical american corporation such as, well, hmm

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dphi posted:

What was that tweet? I guess I just scrolled past when it was first posted.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

mobby_6kl posted:

What was that tweet? I guess I just scrolled past when it was first posted.

Some accounts that already have a check are changing their name and profile picture to post as Elon

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Steadiman posted:

Yeah and this is just a tiny little nibble of how bad it’s gonna be when everyone can get that checkmark. Only times this happened before was someone blowing their own account or someone being hacked. This is gonna be an insane clusterfuck and I kinda feel sorry for the one moderator they probably have left who’s gonna have to deal with this from Monday

https://twitter.com/tinadesireeberg/status/1588653330670444544?s=46&t=0Yw7W4UrsQ6UAgsjaiPKkg

Just imagining this same tweet situation but instead of someone pretending to be elon they are pretending to be the official coca cola twitter.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

He is now threatening to burn the bridges with advertisers who pulled ads from Twitter lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588676939463946241?s=20&t=QTQWum9Len2K0R4q73uhAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I know of one name that is shameful