Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Some random notes from teaching class the past couple months:
- it's nice to see regular training partners form bonds, and also sad to see them get broken up. There were two women who were frequently the smallest two in class and thus had a lot of face time. They were always high fiving or dabbing after drills, just really enjoying themselves. Very encouraging to see a martial arts class be able to foster that. Unfortunately, one of the two students started taking a new night class and couldn't make the time anymore.

- More recently, I got these two friends who are 6'5" and 6'8", and naturally get paired with each other. They honestly don't feel as tall as those heights suggest when on their feet, but when they're doing sprawls or getting thrown, they just take up so much more space on the ground.

- I joined my wife for a fitness challenge where you have to do various calisthenics each day, and I've been spreading mine out to make it easier on myself. So at the start of class, while I was waiting for everyone to settle in (my first session has a TBD location -- 3 classes get allocated different spaces depending on attendance), I absentmindedly started doing some split lunges. And after 20s, I noticed my class had started copying me even though I hadn't said what our warmups would be. That's too much authority!

- Just sampling what I see the other instructors doing, outside of rolling in BJJ, my class by far has the most 'interactive' or freeform exercises. I'll work a technique the whole class and start with a few drill rounds --
- one person low kicks, other person steps out of range
- one person low kicks, other person checks
- one person low kicks, other person catches and trips

And then I let the students practice these in a limited sparring context:
- one person on low kick offense, other person can do any defense
- both sides on offense and defense simultaneously

I think this will help new students develop their senses of timing, distance, and risk faster, but will leave them catching up on refinement of techniques. It's an ok tradeoff, and I'm also fine with my class being different so that students who're crosstraining multiple styles/coaches have different options to fit their preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I would rile at getting called sensei here and really try hard (not always succeeding) not to argue from a position of authority.

You can't really compare a hakama to any other object of western clothing and it can feel uncomfortable, having the heavy straps in places where you aren't used to having any.
Wearing a kaku-obi underneath can add a little extra support, but learning to tie those reliably is also a learning curve.
Get your teacher and/or senpai to check that it's more or less correct, wear it for at least 10 practices or so and then start to tweak how you tie/wear it. You can then vary the position on the straps from the backside on where they wrap around in front, which can significantly change how it feels and how the hakama looks.
Having a wider gap on the straps crossing in front can also help prevent the hakama riding up.
(Similar to what Paul does here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR90nsQuauE&t=340s).
Note, he ties his main strap relatively high, which is more typical for iaido people (he does both), but again, there's no hard and fast rules for this.

Also finally a new, quality cotton hakama will always be stiff and uncomfortable and will need time to break in.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I'm still getting used to the politics of address so I appreciate knowing explicitly I shouldn't call you that here.

I'm going to try all these points. I've been using a wide kakuobi and it does smooth out lumps very effectively. Learning the knot wasn't too bad; I've been doing iai 1x a week so not really optional. I'm a big fan of the stiff supportive belts; they feel like they were made for someone like me who needs constant posture correction.

I do strongly prefer the garment to terminate at my natural waist, but that's compatible with Paul's method - he wears his much closer to how I prefer it than how I see cis-guy senpai wearing theirs. Thinking back to the pair I'm needing to send back, I definitely tied the backside and kakuobi too high by a couple inches, which threw off the appearance and probably made the fit worse. I do still need the remake; the fit issue is pretty dire and they offered based on the embroidery error alone, but it'll look much better if i take advantage of the himo crossing over that bone shelf on the pelvis.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Question I would like to ask those that do, or more importantly work or organize tournaments or non "regular class" events.

We have a core group of BBs that are very involved and attend pretty much every meeting, assist teach, ref/judge at tournaments, etc and I would be curious on ideas to expand it.

It's not that the other bbs we have are lazy assholes, they're absolutely not. They are all excellent people. But we really want to get more people involved to help out so it's not mostly the same group all the time.

Threats or ultimatums are not really our style (and likely be counterproductive in my experience ) nor would most of these people respond to financial incentives (ie: cut dues... Which we actually do for instructing anyhow.. But I'm thinking more the non-normal stuff like tournament duties which are just a small handful of times a year)

For us it's kind of a weird situation as we're in post COVID recovery. Our membership numbers have *strongly* recovered but the black belt contingent is a really short bench. This is mostly due to people retiring, moving away and long-term injuries that have decided to leave over the past few years... So we are really skewed junior probably will be for at least a few years.

There is no reasonable way to fill that bench up more sooner than later other than getting experienced black belts still with us to step up that may have been reluctant before for various reasons.

There are some things where we could certainly use senior color belts (set up, timekeeping for example), but other things like judging and reffing that is simply not an option.

Ideas? Others run into a similar situation? I'm thinking the Masters are probably going to have to talk to each and every BB in a one on one but curious how others may have dealt with it.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Hakama update: Tozando fixed it in one working day and shipped it back in a hurry. I think they felt bad. Fits perfect now, I'm really happy with the look.

Dropping the kakuobi (and with it the koshiita a touch) seems to have resolved many smaller issues, too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

Fits perfect now, I'm really happy with the look.

:justpost:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Next time I'm in uniform and have access to a full-length mirror I'll get a shot. Takes me like ten fuckin minutes to put on and twenty to fold still.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1595580614412902402?s=20&t=XbsBZnfEfnMgQMe9g8wvMQ

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't get why people agree to this. The guy clearly got issues.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't get why people agree to this. The guy clearly got issues.

Brain damage

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

I tried to go back to my old Judo club, but covid really cleared out the regulars. It was just a weird vibe where they were more focused on having small talk all the time than training. I was also told that I choked another Brown Belt too hard during randori, but he refuses to tap the whole time and gave him ample space to get out of it. Also, all my gis don't fit me properly anymore, so I am thinking of going to the BJJ club around the corner from me. It has to be better than what my Sensei did, ghosted me when I asked if I could donate my gis to the club on my way out.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Lots of older Judo focused clubs are really bad these days. In most cases you’ll have better luck at a BJJ school trying to add standup to their repertoire than you will at an old judo school. Not enough bodies and weak instructors and pedagogy.

Lots of serious Judo coaches are also migrating to BJJ clubs for access to more motivated athletes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

wedgie deliverer posted:

Lots of older Judo focused clubs are really bad these days. In most cases you’ll have better luck at a BJJ school trying to add standup to their repertoire than you will at an old judo school. Not enough bodies and weak instructors and pedagogy.

Lots of serious Judo coaches are also migrating to BJJ clubs for access to more motivated athletes.

I've had a few judo black belts come to my fundamentals class over the past few months. New guy competed at a national level and is also an accomplished wrestler plus is built like a truck. It's a bit sad to see Judo being eaten away at by BJJ. I really appreciate the art/sport of judo but a lot of its problems are of its own making. It is nice to see people with actual stand-up doing BJJ though.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Count Roland posted:

I've had a few judo black belts come to my fundamentals class over the past few months. New guy competed at a national level and is also an accomplished wrestler plus is built like a truck. It's a bit sad to see Judo being eaten away at by BJJ. I really appreciate the art/sport of judo but a lot of its problems are of its own making. It is nice to see people with actual stand-up doing BJJ though.

The major issue with the club is that the Sensei is getting older and he is more focused on getting his later dans than anything else. He is on the Kata grading board and ref grading board for Judo Canada, he reffed at the Canadian Nationals, and the Pan-Am Games. Right now, he wants someone from the club to win on the international stage, but our club isn't that deep anymore and willing training partners less so since he keeps trying to get people who regularly injure others as his "champions". Sensei will keep saying it is the risk you take coming onto the mats.

He is more focus on the political side of the sport, making sure the rep for provincial body is someone he knows. Sensei always wanted me to get my black belt but he just wanted to have the most black belts during the annual general meeting to push through his agenda. Sensei is also picking people for matchups to try and gatekeep them out of the club. He actively try to get me into reffing when I was struggling with mental health because he did not me to embarrass him when I lost to a lower belt due to a anxiety/panic attack. When I went back to the club for the first time since Covid, the old regulars, the handful that were left, were happy to see me. I introduce myself to the new people and they looked at me like I was a alien or something. Sensei then made me spar with the riodhead who punches people all the time the whole class and then his son for randori. Even after 6 years of judo, Sensei's son will keep wrapping his leg around yours during standup and this is the main reason why so many people get injured and never come back.

I bought a BJJ white belt before the pandemic looking to leave, but I didn't have the nerve. The judo club took me in when I was overweight, depressed, anxiety-ridden 20 something, made me feel like I was part of a family and really showed me how to improve yourself. After last week, it really does feel like I see the club with rose-tinted glasses and understand why all the old regulars left. At the same time, I wanted a fresh start in grappling. I am in better mental health, my body has been in the best shape I ever been in, and I feel like I could do well learning BJJ and integrating it with my Judo down the road.

Last thing a BJJ school needs is a Judoka who thinks he should be a blue belt due to judo knowledge. I am just going to shut up, and learn BJJ. Also I get to say OSS.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Termyie posted:

The major issue with the club is that the Sensei is getting older and he is more focused on getting his later dans than anything else. He is on the Kata grading board and ref grading board for Judo Canada, he reffed at the Canadian Nationals, and the Pan-Am Games. Right now, he wants someone from the club to win on the international stage, but our club isn't that deep anymore and willing training partners less so since he keeps trying to get people who regularly injure others as his "champions". Sensei will keep saying it is the risk you take coming onto the mats.

He is more focus on the political side of the sport, making sure the rep for provincial body is someone he knows. Sensei always wanted me to get my black belt but he just wanted to have the most black belts during the annual general meeting to push through his agenda. Sensei is also picking people for matchups to try and gatekeep them out of the club. He actively try to get me into reffing when I was struggling with mental health because he did not me to embarrass him when I lost to a lower belt due to a anxiety/panic attack. When I went back to the club for the first time since Covid, the old regulars, the handful that were left, were happy to see me. I introduce myself to the new people and they looked at me like I was a alien or something. Sensei then made me spar with the riodhead who punches people all the time the whole class and then his son for randori. Even after 6 years of judo, Sensei's son will keep wrapping his leg around yours during standup and this is the main reason why so many people get injured and never come back.

I bought a BJJ white belt before the pandemic looking to leave, but I didn't have the nerve. The judo club took me in when I was overweight, depressed, anxiety-ridden 20 something, made me feel like I was part of a family and really showed me how to improve yourself. After last week, it really does feel like I see the club with rose-tinted glasses and understand why all the old regulars left. At the same time, I wanted a fresh start in grappling. I am in better mental health, my body has been in the best shape I ever been in, and I feel like I could do well learning BJJ and integrating it with my Judo down the road.

Last thing a BJJ school needs is a Judoka who thinks he should be a blue belt due to judo knowledge. I am just going to shut up, and learn BJJ. Also I get to say OSS.

this is surprising because this poo poo can get you dqed pretty easily at the tournament if the ref decides its a kawazu gake

Lots of this political stuff sounds familiar. There's something a bit rotten at the higher levels in Judo Canada I suspect, just from hearing stories like this and my own interactions with people who have similar CVs. It's as if there's something in the incentive structures that is causing them to lose sight of the need to attract and retain recreational judoka, and they often seem to work from the assumptions that rokudan or sachidan -> good organizational leader and olympic medal or two -> all national recruitment for the next four years.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

CommonShore posted:

this is surprising because this poo poo can get you dqed pretty easily at the tournament if the ref decides its a kawazu gake

He will always do this when he gets frustrated which is really easy. He is out of shape, only does like 3 things, and you can block and counter him to the tune of a clock. His judo is 1D while everyone he fought before was 4D Chess. His highest showing is Bronze at almost every tournament, choking really hard in the semi finals most of the time. Somehow, Sensei is going to make him a champion even though he is 26.

I am just glad I am leaving that place and going somewhere that isn't in the basement of the university gym which the space is shared with a day care.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Termyie posted:

Coming in with a beginner's mindset is great, but you also don't need to completely downplay your time spent learning judo. Every BJJ gym I've ever trained in has a lot of respect for other grappling arts, to the point where the black belt competitors at my gym will actively seek out people at open mats who they know are good wrestlers in order to work on their standup, even if they happen to be white belts in BJJ.

Here's hoping you can find a new place to call home, but I suspect you'll do just fine. :)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Termyie posted:

They do this at a good number of BJJ gyms in Korea so i mean you'd have your prime pickings for judo practice AND saying "oss" a bunch.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Huge fan of getting corrected and booming out HAI personally.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been going to my Judo club for a year or so now and absolutely no one else has joined (adults, anyway). In fact, there's only one other adult there, an orange belt who can't come every night. Most times class is me and one or two Senseis I can train with.

Meanwhile, at my jiu Jitsu school I wouldn't think anything of seeing one new adult every month. Some of that is location, but it also just seems to be the sports. I liken Judo to fencing: you can find clubs, but it's nothing like Jiu Jitsu/mma.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Well, the first BJJ club I visited was a massive shitshow. It was part of a steroid-positive gym and while the Coach teaching the class was great, the Professor was a dick. I also had to sign up with a gym membership and pay dues to the BJJ school for a total of 200 dollars a month. No Thanks.

Going to another one tonight. They gave me a free class and were excited about my judo credentials. Hoping this will work out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Termyie posted:

Well, the first BJJ club I visited was a massive shitshow. It was part of a steroid-positive gym and while the Coach teaching the class was great, the Professor was a dick. I also had to sign up with a gym membership and pay dues to the BJJ school for a total of 200 dollars a month. No Thanks.

Going to another one tonight. They gave me a free class and were excited about my judo credentials. Hoping this will work out.

I'm so excited to see someone make the opposite move as me, where you go try Jiujitsu with a Judo back ground.

Two little tips to watch out for once you're in Randori:

One, jiu Jitsu players will base their hips super far back in like an exaggerated Jigo tai (Is that right?spelling? Anyway, defensive posture); when that happens try a ken-ken uchi mata because they really cannot at all stop you from rolling their shoulders with your back step.

Two, if you have a good high lapel or collar grip and they either pull guard or you throw them down into guard, let that collar grip go and bring your hand down to their hips/belt ASAP or you'll be wide open for guard based attacks like arm bars and chokes.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 1, 2022

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Second BJJ gym was a better experience overall. I felt welcomed, I was humbled and got my rear end handed to me many times. It gave me the same joy i felt when I started judo, so I signed up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Termyie posted:

Second BJJ gym was a better experience overall. I felt welcomed, I was humbled and got my rear end handed to me many times. It gave me the same joy i felt when I started judo, so I signed up.

Nice!
Did you mention/ask about the first gym?

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

kimbo305 posted:

Nice!
Did you mention/ask about the first gym?

I did. The first school was original founder of the second school I visit. He had a affiliation with Brazilian Top Team which gave the school a bad rep for having Gracie-style bullshit like mandatory gis that were garbage, having to travel to get your grading because the head guy did not want to visit, and other stupid pricing policies like having to pay to get stripes. The current Professor is a really chill down to earth lady who was just checking in on me because my overweight pandemic fat rear end got whooped so many times she wanted to make sure I wasn't going to give up. I did do some standup and i got some good throws in that impressed the school.

All in all, a good crew and I can see that my old Sensei did not teach me anything in newaza that I can use here so it will good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Termyie posted:

All in all, a good crew and I can see that my old Sensei did not teach me anything in newaza that I can use here so it will good.

That's all awesome to hear!

Not to suggest you fish for ways to "win" in your new Martial art but I'd think that , if they let you start in a pinning position, they should have a harder time escaping your pin as opposed to starting in a more neutral position.

In my limited experience Judo practitioners have relatively good pins, because it's a more common winning strategy on the ground than chokes and joint locks. I think my Judo club understands kesa gatame much better than my Jiu Jitsu school understands scarf hold.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Termyie posted:

Termyie posted:

I did. The first school was original founder of the second school I visit. He had a affiliation with Brazilian Top Team which gave the school a bad rep for having Gracie-style bullshit like mandatory gis that were garbage, having to travel to get your grading because the head guy did not want to visit, and other stupid pricing policies like having to pay to get stripes. The current Professor is a really chill down to earth lady who was just checking in on me because my overweight pandemic fat rear end got whooped so many times she wanted to make sure I wasn't going to give up. I did do some standup and i got some good throws in that impressed the school.

I'm glad you seem to have found a place :3:

Your post about dues made me remember something we were recently talking about in class. There used to be 2 ITF TKD clubs in our town and the pandemic forced their merger into 1 for basic survival, which I actually respect that they were able to do that.

However we've (our traditional school) gained about 8 new students in the past few months that came from their assimilated school. Discussing with them we found out that they now charge $140/month dues. For 2 classes/week. We charge $80/month and our main school has adult and advanced classes 4 days a week. However if you're willing to drive for 20 minutes our dues include access to our satellite schools so you could train 6 days/week if you so desired... which if you're going through the BB program you almost need to for a while to get an hours cushion. We also do not turn away a economically disadvantaged person and stop them from training if they can't pay. We are also associated with charities and fundraise for kidsport which is a charity specifically for disadvantaged youth to take part in any sport (not just martial arts).

Ironically, the other TKD club in town loves taking funding that we raise to subsidize their students but wants nothing to do with us for friendly tournaments or anything. Oh well.

We do charge for a color test. $50 - but that also includes a new belt (if awarded). Compared to pretty much every other sport our monthly rates seem to be very reasonable so I think that's a fair $$ for only 1/year (on average) test.

Our biggest problem is instructors. We lost several seasoned BBs over the covid shitshow to retirements and just moving away. So fairly fresh 1st dans, such as yours truly, are being trained up for instruction to assist/fill in. Unfortunately, there is only a small handful of us that are suitable to undertake it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 4, 2022

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Steroids are rampant all over competitive BJJ, which is no secret. Winning a lot of tournaments brings reputation for the gym. It’s not surprising that gyms are like this, but I feel like that shouldn’t be thrust in your face on the first day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

- More recently, I got these two friends who are 6'5" and 6'8", and naturally get paired with each other. They honestly don't feel as tall as those heights suggest when on their feet, but when they're doing sprawls or getting thrown, they just take up so much more space on the ground.

Ok, after some more training time with the 6'8" guy, I reverse my position and now say that yeah, he seems pretty tall on his feet. If I use him for technique demonstrations, even if I kick reasonably high, he has to crouch unnaturally down to block it on the middle of his arm.

Last night was an interesting experience, in that there was one completely new to MA person trying out the gym and picking my class as his first.
The rest of the small class was in a rough cohort of 1-3 months (4-12 classes) training, with some prior experience in other striking.
This kid had nothing, so I was going between showing the others a new throw to teach the newcomer stance, breakfall, and how to kick just so he could participate in the drills.

He got through the material ok, but it was kind of an eyeopener that I had to teach someone how to kick. In my Level 2 class, I assume people can do it, and in my Level 1 class, I try to differentiate the material from Muay Thai, mostly as a favor to the cross trainers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My first "feels" moment as a part time instructor today.

Fridays are typically a smaller attendance day so we allow the senior belt kids to join the adult class, I am very reliably there so I often help instruct and run warm ups

A few min before class I'm up front chatting with master and a young greenbelt comes up. About 10ish. Head bowed, a little sheepish but looking at my eyes.

"Mr Slidebite??" he says

"Yes?" I say

"Merry Christmas" and he hands me this huge ferro rocher chocolate and thanks me, and stands there for a second beaming before scampering away.

I am not comfortable with kids nor do I particularly enjoy teaching them vs adults, but that gave me in the feels and was nice to be appreciated. :3:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 17, 2022

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Ok so I been doing BJJ for a month now, and I wish I went to BJJ after the pandemic. I love having gi that do not gently caress up a washing machine and drys within a day. I like that the gis are light and not feeling like a burlap sack. The BJJ school I am with are genuine excited to have a brown belt judoka and they actually make me feel welcomed. I am learning more about ground fighting than in judo, where my Sensei just got me to turtle up and not fight on the ground because "it's not what heavyweights do". I am actually excited to go to class and earn those bruises again!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Judo and BJJ are basically the same where judo just said "no indent wanna be on thenground" and BJJ said "I wanna butt scoot!"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Our traditional TKD dobuks are basically lightweight old school karate gis. I know it's a different art without the floorwork that you Judo/BJJ guys do but I would be miserable if our uniforms were any heavier as our cardio work can be very intense.
https://bushido.ca/product/drako-light-weight-karate-gi/

These are actually getting hard to find in the style we like so chatting with master before the holidays he was saying that he's considering going to a WTF style pull over, but doesn't like the idea of being confused with a WTF school. I personally like that style.

Speaking of, do any of you wear undershirts/rashguards? I know a couple guys do but I can't help but think the added layer would not be enjoyable. Or are they even noticeable?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 27, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I only DON'T wear a rash guard in the formal tournaments that disallow them and I feel totally gross without one - it must be largely a matter of familiarity. I train in No Gi, BJJ Gis, and Judo Gis, which I think is a fair range from least to most clothing, and I don't notice much difference - once you're soaked through with and have done three + rounds of sparring, you're just sweaty, hot, and nasty.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I always wear an undershirt of some sort. When I was in TKD, our normal uniform was the regular pants and JUST a dri-fit shirt, then the dobok on top of that for "formal occasions" like testing, testing week, belt ceremonies, and tournaments. In my BJJ class, the only real requirement is "white gi." Some folks wear just the gi with nothing underneath; some wear tshirts, some dri-fits, some full rash guards. I always wear an undershirt; usually one of my Adidas type dri-fits that I normally wear when I cut the grass or just on super hot Florida days. my Sanabul gi is MUCH heavier than the dobok I wore in TKD, which is weird at first and I asked my instructor if it would soften up over time and he said that the one I got is technically a "medium" weight one and is lighter and thinner than the ones he usually wears. Not a big deal and I've come to like the weight, BUT we were doing collar cross chokes this week and the pearl/bead texture of them really irritated my neck since I hadn't shaved for a couple of days.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I wear 750gsm gis with long sleeve rash guards year round for jits. The heavier the gi the more uncomfortable it is for your opponent to grip and the more painful it is when you grind your forearm across their neck looking for the cross collar choke. I’m going to be hot and sweaty regardless so might as well make my opponents life as miserable as possible is my strategy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I typically wear a rash guard, moreso for BJJ than for Judo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah also all I've bought lately are the heavier and looser Judo Gis because IME BJJ doesn't really care but Judo wants you to have a Judo gi. If you wear a Judo gi to BJJ you look a bit frumpy in your old man outfit but if you wear a much more tightly cut BJJ gi to Judo people are gonna be mad that your sleeves are so tight and hard to grip.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Interesting. Only a couple of the guys I train with wear undershirts or rash guards. I might buy one just to try as all the t-shirts I own would be too heavy for comfort under my uniform. I could totally see just wearing one and not the uni top but we always have our full uniforms on unless we are doing a 100% advanced sparring class where it is optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

slidebite posted:

Speaking of, do any of you wear undershirts/rashguards? I know a couple guys do but I can't help but think the added layer would not be enjoyable. Or are they even noticeable?

I wear a rashguard. I find it more comfortable than bare skin against rough cotton. When you get fighting, you barely notice it.