Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I was on vacation for 10-11 days since release, so I finally finished up the quick play win goal for opening competitive play, decided to play a ranked game or two this morning

ranked games take so loving long compared to quick play. I don't know what I was expecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Bastion's rifle is good. Or "good". It's fine. It's going to kill someone that's not being healed fairly reliably. It's dead simple to aim and takes only a few shots on point to put someone down. It's not instant death like his minigun, but it'll get the job done. I wouldn't deliberately engage with it, but I also wouldn't retreat just because Turret went on cooldown. You can also suppress with it fairly easily. Let enemy snipers know you're not some kind of a sitting duck while you get into a better position.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bastion in kiriko ult is fun as hell lol.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Mystery heroes: turns out it is stupid fun. Also, makes me play chars I’d never touched before. Thumbs up.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

teagone posted:

Bastion in kiriko ult is fun as hell lol.

There's such a "Okay, you kids have fun!" feeling to activating Kiriko's ultimate.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Jack's Flow posted:

Mystery heroes: turns out it is stupid fun. Also, makes me play chars I’d never touched before. Thumbs up.

It's the only mode I play right now and the range of skill involved is hilarious. I got my first ever POTG as Widowmaker by headshotting 3 people at point blank range while standing next to them in an alley. The replay showed 2 of the shots but the bulk of it was me going to get a health pack in between because I was sure they'd spotted me. The games are great fun to see which side inevitably ends up with 4 tanks and a Lucio led by a Zarya or two and RNG decides you know what you need is Tracer.

I actually had two people in voice comms in one the other day for two games and it worked pretty well!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Slammed through my first placement games thanks to a very lax work from home day and gold 5. If anyone needs a carry lemme know, I'm on point today

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
this was an EXTREMELY selfish Rein game but holy gently caress if it wasnt one of the most fun matchess i've had since launch

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Goddamned right you endorse both supports

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Omnikin posted:

always

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omnikin posted:

I mostly play MH and I usually just endorse whoever lived as one character the longest, since that tends to be the MVP.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
also idk how it happened but i had a few matches last night v zarya and asking my team to not shoot her when shes bubbled and just let me be the only one who whacked her actually loving worked

"SHOOT ANYONE ELSE BUT HER"
*enemy team is shredded as I walk past a double self bubbling zarya to smash some people with a hammer*
"SEE"

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiPClQL7Dcw&t=16s

How wrong (or right) is this guy and what are you guys running on PC dip/sens

1600 / 4% but I haven't hosed with the weird settings yet...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

96 spacejam posted:

800 / 7%, but i'm making a conscious tradeoff between speed and accuracy in doing so. i find that anything lower than about 6% just makes it far harder to actually track anyone who doesn't have a tank's hitbox and makes flicking far more wearying on my shoulder and arm

i also play kiriko a lot so being able to 180' faster to heal flankers and quickly retreat with swift step is important, so ymmv

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm surprised to say this as someone who's much better at support than the other classes: I'm having a lot more fun now that I don't queue for support anymore.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rick posted:

I'm surprised to say this as someone who's much better at support than the other classes: I'm having a lot more fun now that I don't queue for support anymore.

it's "funny" to swap to DPS for a couple of rounds and find that all the magically invincible enemy tanks suddenly die in a couple seconds

one of the many unsolvable mysteries of the overwatch universe

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
"monkey be careful, they have a cassidy and a reaper"

*solo-dives the cassidy, reaper and moira*

*dies*

"0 heals loving inbred"

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

96 spacejam posted:

That video was way too long but I watched the first minute and "lower your sens" is spot on. I had to halve my OW2 sens from whatever the default was that it gave me to feel "better" but I also have different sensitivities per character.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

96 spacejam posted:

I had my sensitivity at just under 4% back in OW1, but when my last mouse died, I didn't replace it with another gaming mouse, and it's too much resistance, now. So it's up to about 11%, maybe?
Edit
8, apparently.

I've discovered a paradox with Widow. The better I play, the worse my actual games go. If I do too well, and block the whole team for a few minutes, I get endlessly dove by multiple guys, and lose. If I do just sort of ok but pick the supports here or there, then I will win.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

96 spacejam posted:

32.5 cm/360; 1600 dpi / 2.66% for characters that have to aim

My recommendation for sensitivity is to put it in the ballpark of most good players at between 15cm/360 and 50cm/360. Put it as low as you can go while still being able to comfortably do the fastest important thing for your character. For most characters that's being able to deal with a point blank tracer/genji. No aim tanks/tracer/genji do better with a faster sens and flick characters can use a slower sens.

there was an actual bug with video proof where controller settings were loving with mouse aim that they seem to have silently hotfixed like a week or two after release, but I wouldn't worry about it now

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Veryslightlymad posted:

I've discovered a paradox with Widow. The better I play, the worse my actual games go. If I do too well, and block the whole team for a few minutes, I get endlessly dove by multiple guys, and lose. If I do just sort of ok but pick the supports here or there, then I will win.

Yeah people *hate* an even moderately competent Widow, to the extent that they will come and sit on your face and throw the match while your team stand on the objective in extreme cases. Hey at least you're serving a purpose!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

The answer is to stop playing widow.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SadisTech posted:

Yeah people *hate* an even moderately competent Widow, to the extent that they will come and sit on your face and throw the match while your team stand on the objective in extreme cases. Hey at least you're serving a purpose!

I like to zip around everywhere with my hook, using it to skate across the ground or launch me to weird places where I don't see other Widows. You pull that poo poo off a couple times in a match and congratulations! You have a dedicated Moira/Sombra loving with you forever.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SadisTech posted:

I played a game recently where I refused to let Widow do loving anything from the very second the doors opened. I was Junkrat too so she coulda just like... shot me. But I kept jumping up to her and doing the grenade/mine combo and deleting her. I did nothing else the whole match. She couldn't play the game. I hope that player had a terrible time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Macaluso posted:

I played a game recently where I refused to let Widow do loving anything from the very second the doors opened. I was Junkrat too so she coulda just like... shot me. But I kept jumping up to her and doing the grenade/mine combo and deleting her. I did nothing else the whole match. She couldn't play the game. I hope that player had a terrible time.

If they're too dumb to use their machine gun, mine, and melee, then they deserved it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

in general, when it comes to FPSes, i think the "best" sens is the one that you can most comfortably comport to. i know that sounds like an obvious "no poo poo, dumbass" thing, but i think it's easy to get bound up in copying specific settings from the best players and expecting that it'll translate directly to improving your own experience. i've tried playing on ultra low sens before with a big ol' mousepad and i've hated every second of it, even after giving it a fair 20+ hour shake

i settled on 7% after messing around with the settings until i felt like my viewport was neither iceskating around nor being dragged along by a string, and that specific "sweet spot" is ultimately going to be different for everyone

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yah sensitivity depends very much on a person's mouse, grip, surface, mousepad size, anthropometry, comfort with using the arm, fingers, wrist, and some combination thereof, playstyle, character selection, etc.

but the vast majority of players probably play at way too high of a sensitivity (i.e. faster than 10 cm/360) b/c the default for most fps games is absurdly high

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Pattonesque posted:

"monkey be careful, they have a cassidy and a reaper"

*solo-dives the cassidy, reaper and moira*

*dies*

"0 heals loving inbred"

This except Rein.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I always felt like I wanted my sens to be lower but it was already difficult to do a 180 at the speed I was at.

Then I watched Surefour's video on mouse accel and it's so much better now. It's slow enough for close range tracking but still fast enough to turn around when I need to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5yU5rCxuk

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you want to try a super slow sens but still 180, you can also use a dpi shift button on logitech mice w/ only on-board memory

I think players like ryujehong had this setup

IME it is really hard to try aiming close range switching to a much faster sens instantly and I would only recommend using it for movement. Also, it is easier to track aim close range with a faster sens than a slower sens since you can rely on your more precise wrist instead of being forced to arm aim.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I'm good with the mouse accel :) Squeezing a button on the mouse would affect my aim too much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

if mouse accel was good enough for faker, it's probably good enough for the average pub OW2 player too

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
lol open queue is such garbage. which team has players who are willing to stack the most tanks? ok you win. oh your team mates are locked into sitting on Sombra and Widow into Zarya/Sigma/Winston? welp

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

SadisTech posted:

lol open queue is such garbage. which team has players who are willing to stack the most tanks? ok you win. oh your team mates are locked into sitting on Sombra and Widow into Zarya/Sigma/Winston? welp

yeah i have no idea who that mode is for because its just flat out worse in every way

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Watching league games, it's painfully apparent how bullshit of a char Sojourn is. I don't know how they ever balance that railgun. It's worse than Widow ever has been in terms of "stuff that clearly doesn't belong in this MOBA-like game".

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BabyRyoga posted:

Watching league games,

oh i'll check that out too i guess

:lmao:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i will defend unranked open queue with my dying breath. it is good and fun and shouldn't be taken too seriously IMO. more tanks doesn't always win if the enemy team is willing to pick up a reaper, etc.

ranked open queue seems kind of like unnecessarily splitting the user base, i'll give you that.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
New tank is an omnic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd_SPOkaZZ4

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks cool. Staff tank :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase