Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Gears always had the dumbest loving stories.

I'll still pick up a Gears game and play every few years (tactics owns), but the story is always incredibly dumb. Put your mind in comic book movie mode and just enjoy the pretty graphics.

They'd have to make a fun game first. Some people like them but I think cover shooters are one of the biggest crimes against god in the gaming world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Larry Parrish posted:

They'd have to make a fun game first. Some people like them but I think cover shooters are one of the biggest crimes against god in the gaming world.

Why do you think I like Tactics the most out of all the Gears games?

But yes, I generally agree. They can be a slog to get through sometimes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I think 343 might be the most disappointing developer in recent time, although I discovered from an InfernoPlus video they patched a bug for the MCC mod tools that affected literally only him which is cool. Of course, because 343 is insanely fail, I only learned about the MCC mod tools from this video that came out more than a year after the mod tools did.

343 is proof that time and money can’t buy a good product.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

343 is proof that time and money can’t buy a good product.

same but the PS5

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’ll be curious to see if the management shakeup at 343 manages to right the ship.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Rocket cat! I love the art in this game.

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1588569315665641474?t=Omuc0ldcLLS7fAdO3K15oQ&s=19

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can't stop playing vampire survivors. Got to level 3

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Illusive Man posted:

UHD Blurays are cool, but if you're into them to any degree it's worth it to get a dedicated player instead of using the XSX

For example, the XSX doesn't support Dolby Vision with the Bluray app

wtf really? Do you need to download an extra license, or the hardware straight up can’t do it?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Whole lotta people in here saying severance is the best tv show clearly haven't watched Patriot (Amazon)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Laserface posted:

Whole lotta people in here saying severance is the best tv show clearly haven't watched Patriot (Amazon)

Patriot is very good, but almost too depressing. poo poo I need to finish the final ep, thanks for the reminder!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Laserface posted:

I think they're saying it's the best currently running show. I haven't watched it but that would be pretty bold to already be calling it all-time best

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

wtf really? Do you need to download an extra license, or the hardware straight up can’t do it?

There's no way to do it on any Xbox currently.

The thing with Dolby Vision is there are multiple different versions of it, and they're not all compatible with all playback devices. The version used on UHD Blu-ray is weird because it leverages the Blu-ray 3D tech by having the raw video data being in HDR10 or HDR10+, and then the "Dolby Vision" data is basically a patch layer that's overlayed over the video. This allows discs to work in HDR10 setups natively, but at the expense of you actually need a player that knows how to do the patch layer shenanigans for Dolby Vision, kind of the same way you needed an actual Blu-ray 3D player in order to use 3D discs.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Martman posted:

I think they're saying it's the best currently running show. I haven't watched it but that would be pretty bold to already be calling it all-time best

I haven't really got into severance but I like the idea of it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Danganronpa 2 is the Bioshock of visual novels. I loved it even though it melted my brain.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I've come to the conclusion game pass is a scam. I'm being scammed into playing too many games for nothing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve learned my lesson to refrain from heaping superlatives on televised dramas until they stick the landing.

That’s not to minimize the impact of early seasons, but look at something such as Game of Thrones and imagine calling it the best TV show of the past … amount of years.

:chloe:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

univbee posted:

There's no way to do it on any Xbox currently.

The thing with Dolby Vision is there are multiple different versions of it, and they're not all compatible with all playback devices. The version used on UHD Blu-ray is weird because it leverages the Blu-ray 3D tech by having the raw video data being in HDR10 or HDR10+, and then the "Dolby Vision" data is basically a patch layer that's overlayed over the video. This allows discs to work in HDR10 setups natively, but at the expense of you actually need a player that knows how to do the patch layer shenanigans for Dolby Vision, kind of the same way you needed an actual Blu-ray 3D player in order to use 3D discs.

drat. From some cursory googles the ps5 can’t do it either.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Movies & TV app will also output HDR10 if you feed it a straight BD remux from an external SSD, meanwhile DV passthrough works out of the box with an Nvidia Shield Pro

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Don’t know I bought Bladerunner 2049 on YouTube and watched it on my LG C and it’s basically as good looking as my eyes can discern. Granted my internet is decent but how much better can it get?!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

SilkyP posted:

Don’t know I bought Bladerunner 2049 on YouTube and watched it on my LG C and it’s basically as good looking as my eyes can discern. Granted my internet is decent but how much better can it get?!

I can tell the difference between the 4k blu ray and the 4k digital streaming editions of those same movies that come included

if you're streaming poo poo, you're introducing some amount of fidelity loss just by compression if nothing else

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap yet effective player for UHD discs?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't been able to tell the difference between 1080p and higher res encoding yet lol. But I can usually tell if a movie scene was recorded in analog or digital. Even Hollywood can't quite get film grain right.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Laserface posted:

I haven't really got into severance but I like the idea of it.

I got into it with the same feeling, but the actual show is even better.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

What say you, good goons? Is this Pillars of the Earth game worth $3?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lol, so that is how Gears of War 4 ends?

What an absolute wet fart of an ending, gameplay AND story, especially if that was someone's first Gears game and they've never seen the Locust Queen's sigil before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lol, so that is how Gears of War 4 ends?

What an absolute wet fart of an ending, gameplay AND story, especially if that was someone's first Gears game and they've never seen the Locust Queen's sigil before.

Dont worry, the next ends with a "gently caress this were out"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SilkyP posted:

the Xbox series x op

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SilkyP posted:

the Xbox One s op

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SilkyP posted:

I have a Sony UBP-X700. It's a 2018 player but it does Dolby Vision and I think even Blu-ray 3D for the real sickos, and seems to be needs-suiting and, at least in Canada, as cheap as 4K DV disc players get until either the PS5 or Series X are updated to support Dolby Vision (not sure if it's possible or not, I could see this being an addition to future revisions of each console).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

drat, Control is such a trippy, creepy game. I'm enjoying the story so far, it reminds me of SCP stuff.

I've turned down the difficulty so I can hopefully complete it before the free period is over. I mostly want to find out what it's all about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Control is like 25% creepy and 75% pure comedy. It's one of the funniest games I've ever played.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never played very much of it but it was far from creepy lol. Like there's been so much horror about stuff like that written that it's hard for me to take seriously let alone actually get spooked by.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

creepiest thing about it was the load times last gen . great game

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

creepiest thing about it was the load times last gen . great game

Yeah they were bad on the One X using the stock hard drive, but after I moved Control to an external SSD, they were fine.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
The beginning is creepy, before you find your footing. People frozen suspended in the air, mist and unnatural harsh red lights coming from mysterious sources, the feeling of happening upon something deeply wrong after it's ruined an area, creepy janitor. Jesse just rolls with it because she has a mission, though.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I normally bounce off souls games immediately because I hate playing the same parts of games over and over.

Saw Mortal Shell on Gamepass and gave it a try. I love the atmosphere, but yeah... I've died countless number of times so far. I wish enemies stayed dead after I die, or there was a difficulty option, or it was an RPG instead, or gameplay was more like DMC.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

exquisite tea posted:

Control is like 25% creepy and 75% pure comedy. It's one of the funniest games I've ever played.

I'm only just past the first mission and I'm getting a lot of creepy vibes at this point. Can't wait for the comedy to start.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

John F Bennett posted:

I'm only just past the first mission and I'm getting a lot of creepy vibes at this point. Can't wait for the comedy to start.

Read all the lil notes and stuff.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SilkyP posted:

Sony UBP-X700 like univbee said. I sprung for the Sony UBP-X800M2 because I'm one of those people with a lingering collection of DVD-Audio discs.

Also note that these are almost guaranteed to drop in price in a couple weeks for Black Friday; I snagged my X800M2 a year ago for $200 during Black Friday week. IIRC the X700 was $150-ish at the time.

One other benefit of UHD discs - the audio is significantly better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

It gets really wacky as it goes on. Honestly one of my favorite games ever and I'm so glad for the accessibility options letting me make the game as easy as possible because the journey was so much more fun than the combat to me after a while.