Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, that's how it went in the web novel.

He had chronic health issues, there seems to be an overlap between super successful artists and chronic illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The artist was, as far as I can tell, also the founder and former CEO of REDICE, the studio that does the art for a lot of webtoons (like Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint).

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Remember when Lookism was about high school stuff?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TV Zombie posted:

Remember when Lookism was about high school stuff?

Yeah like 5 years ago.

It's still kind of fun though but I do wonder where it's going.

The Manager Kim spinoff is fun for a "angry dad goes on a rampage of vengeance" kind of deal. Also fun because the dad's of characters in Viral Hit and My life as a loser are featured prominently. Story is meh but no end to angry superpowered dad wrecking goons which is fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Any high school webtoon with fighting will inevitably escalate from delinquents to gangsters to underworld mobs and corporate thugs (where CEOs are actually martial artists).

That's the Korean webtoon law.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Everyone seems so overpowered and in a gang that it's just ridiculous.

Is there any information on the creator of Fake Humans? It just seemed to end out of nowhere, leaving such a dissatisfying conclusion.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was surprised that Viral Hit was by the same guy as Lookism, since I think Viral Hit is significantly better/funnier. Lookism has a certain tone to it that is hard to describe; it has this sort of "heartwarming hallmark movie, except Korean" feel to it. There's this other webtoon that has a similar tone but to an even greater extreme (the one about the guy with the giant head, forget the name of it).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I was surprised that Viral Hit was by the same guy as Lookism, since I think Viral Hit is significantly better/funnier. Lookism has a certain tone to it that is hard to describe; it has this sort of "heartwarming hallmark movie, except Korean" feel to it. There's this other webtoon that has a similar tone but to an even greater extreme (the one about the guy with the giant head, forget the name of it).

There's a bunch of interconnected stuff in the same universe. Like, Lookism and Viral Hit and My Life as a Loser and Manager Kim are all part of the Park Tae-jun Universe (named after Park Tae-jun of the Park Tae-jun Company that produces the webtoons).

There's also YLAB, another webtoon company that has the YLAB Universe which has a bunch of connected universes. Works like Hanlim Gym and Get Schooled and To Not Die are all in the same universe, stuff like Blade of the Phantom Master, Terror Man, Distant Sky, etc. are all interconnected, and so on. It's all very complicated.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm a sucker for the shared universe gimmick stuff. Sometimes it pays off really well. Also, Terror Man is in the YLAB shared one heavily. Just wanted to mention it specifically because goddamn does the author make great/ interesting use of color to black and white effects in the comic outstandingly well. It's beautiful in many moments.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
God of High School: It was a long time coming but I have to admit "I'm going to...start using my legs." is a worthy payoff. :ssj:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Breaker Part 3 is the first Breaker to have an official English translation and, uh... It's not lookin' great.

They translated Nine Arts Dragon (구문룡, Gumunryong) as Munryong Gu. As if it was a Korean name, and not, you know, a title. 9AD has his own name, it's Han Chunwoo (or Chunwoo Han if we're going by the First-name Lastnam format).

The webtoon's also not consistent with hyphens in names. Shi-un's name is hyphenated but no one else's is?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yeah the Breaker Part 3 has been a marked step down from part 2, now that this new wimp continues breathing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Only on free chapters of God of high school but lmao I love this idiot series

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Speaking of not great translations, is anyone decent doing Peerless Dad these days?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The junk collector posted:

Speaking of not great translations, is anyone decent doing Peerless Dad these days?

I assume the official scans are better quality than fan scans, but also, Peerless Dad is on a break right now, which is why you haven't seen any updates.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Grouchio posted:

Yeah the Breaker Part 3 has been a marked step down from part 2, now that this new wimp continues breathing

You will regret your words and deeds in 130 chapters from now when he awakens his fighting potential and dudes start creaming their pants around him.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
True remember the start of part 2 where we kept getting disappointed when Shiwoon wasn't curb stomping people. Then would get excited when he started kicking butt, and then disappointed when he went back to not being able to use his power, and so on and so on until he finally got his power back seemingly for good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's still the problem isn't it

I don't think people have been disappointed that new kid isn't beating people up. they're disappointed that he's the main character at all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I'm enjoying the new Breaker so far. The older characters are there and doing things. So far the new character seems pretty decent and also is likely there as a vehicle to slowly reveal the present day story for the MC while bringing in new elements. IDK it doesn't seem like a big deal to me but a lot of people feel otherwise it seems.

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022
god of highschool fastpass please, please let this be mubong's final health bar

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm after something not particularly good but with 100+ chapters ideally 130+ I can just sit and smash through when I'm feeling bored and struggling to make a decision. I just read murim login and second Life ranker for examples as well as max level returner and max level newbie. Just something with decent action i can waste a day reading before I start my new job because I'm currently starting and quitting rimworld games but for whatever reason the first 2 series I named didn't have me do that

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

I'm currently starting and quitting rimworld games but for whatever reason

lol same

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Like if anything similar to what I said I raid has appeared in the manga4lifr.com top series it's highly likely I read it

I actually quite like regressor or however you want to call it series for whatever reason

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 30, 2022

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm after something not particularly good but with 100+ chapters ideally 130+ I can just sit and smash through when I'm feeling bored and struggling to make a decision. I just read murim login and second Life ranker for examples as well as max level returner and max level newbie. Just something with decent action i can waste a day reading before I start my new job because I'm currently starting and quitting rimworld games but for whatever reason the first 2 series I named didn't have me do that

Volcanic Age
Nano Machine
Descent of the Demonic Master

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Oh hey, I didn't know there was a Webtoon thread, neat! I read a ton of stuff on the app bc it's basically what I do while im cooking/eating meals; I did a scrub through the thread to see what was already mentioned, so here's some stuff that hasn't been brought up before:

Death's Game is a finished comic about a guy who commits suicide but wakes up in Death's realm because Death is disgusted by how flippant he is towards dying, so she subjects him to a punishment where he wakes up in up to 13 people's bodies- each one being a person who is slated to die in the near future (thus forcing him to relive death over and over again with the hope that it imparts respect). However, she does give him an out- if he can find a way to dodge the imminent death, then he will be allowed to live out that person's lifetime going forward. Starts out pretty straightforward but as he ends up moving from person to person down the line each of their lives start getting tied up and he begins using his knowledge from a previous person's perspective to his advantage when he gains his next body.

If AI Ruled the World is a finished sci fi comic that starts out as an anthology but is quickly apparent that despite following different people/self-contained stories they all take place in the same world and connections start forming over time. It's hard to talk about without spoilers, but if you like sci fi give this one a chance.

The Savior's Time is a finished comic about a young man who is investigating his little sister's suicide, which seems to be connected to a mysterious online app/community that offers features such as gaining access to another person's private messages, temporarily stealing another person's identity for your own personal use, etc. As he begins tracking down each of the app users that she came into contact with in the months leading up to her death, he learns more about the kind of people who make use of this app as well as getting drawn into the reason for the app's existence, as well as the growing evidence her death was not a suicide.

Parallel City is a webtoon currently between seasons, where the setup is that recently more and more strange reports have been coming out about people encountering a doppelganger of themselves; eventually, the protagonist encounters his own doppelganger and the mystery of who these mirror people are (and what their intentions are) carry into the second season (I'm being vague for spoiler reasons).

Flawed Almighty is a comedy/supernatural webtoon by the creator of Sweet Home and Bastard about a guy who's been assigned an angel and told he must do good by helping other people or else be sentenced to hell. Pretty straightforward, it does have its serious moments (and there are action scenes) but a big part of it is the dynamic between the lead guy (who wants nothing more than to be left alone and not be bothered) and his assigned angel (who knows nothing about how human society works but is endlessly fascinated by everything- she loves fried chicken and, as of recent episodes, has also become a huge fan of internet streamers)

Zero Game is another death game/survival game webcomic in the vein of stuff like DICE, but this one's about a game where all the participants are people who are dissatisfied/fed up with their life and are competing in a supernatural game for one singular goal- the opportunity to completely rest their entire life and live it all over again, but with their own desired path in life to be guaranteed. The protagonist receives an invitation from her deceased father, and her motivation for entering the game is also to find out what happened to her parents and what connection they have to the game itself.

Never-Ending Darling is a sci fi thriller webcomic about a woman who stumbles across a dead body in her fiancee's house- HER dead body. She quickly realizes that she's being cloned and her boyfriend is killing her every time she steps out of line for his tastes, and the plot involves her finding ways to leave messages for the next 'her' to learn quicker and quicker about the truth of their existence- and try to find a way to expose what he's doing so she can successfully escape his clutches. Currently ongoing.

Honestly kinda surprised Escape Room hasn't been brought up in here, if you like ontological mystery stuff like zero escape but with the horror/violence cranked up to slasher film levels then this is your jam; this is another one that's REALLY hard to talk about without massive spoilers, but a big part of the overall story involves the public's perception, what people will justify to themselves to perpetuate or ignore cruel acts happening in front of them, and why people grow attached to personal narratives they can relate to (at the cost of overlooking red flags or danger).

In the world of Jungle Juice, a mysterious bug spray contains a dangerous chemical that transforms anyone that comes into contact with it into half human half insect hybrids. The protagonist is one such unlucky victim, but is soon brought to NEST, a society outside of the regular world for other such half-insect people, to train and develop their abilities in a college-like system where the valedictorian graduate is given the choice of using a very, very limited chemical compound to undo their metamorphosis and leave to rejoin human society. ...it's basically a shonen but everyone's powers are tied to real life insects (and in the comments there's an actual entomologist that goes into more detail about how the comic compares to the insects in question- it's actually insanely well researched and the writer actually uses lesser known insect traits as superpowers in a way that's really compelling)

Once a month, the students of the Happy Class hold a vote to determine the social hierarchy of their class. The lower your class, the more you are picked on and taken advantage of, with the one designated F student functionally the socially accepted target for bullying/stress relief. When a new transfer student first encounters this Pyramid Game, she quickly determines that she wants nothing to do with it and, upon witnessing the abuse firsthand, makes it her goal to topple the game entirely. Shockingly well constructed thriller/drama story with a ton of moving parts, every single student in this class has their own backstory, personality, and interconnections. Horrendously slept on.

Chasing Tails is a mystery comic about a group of nine college students who wind up trapped under a collapsed building for two weeks, only kept alive by the water from a damaged pipe and what little food they had left. Upon rescue, however, three of the nine are found dead, in such a way that it can't be considered anything but homicide. The story follows the detectives investigating this case as well as a renowned neuropsychiatrist who has been brought on as a special team member due to her connection to a similar incident in the past. It's functionally one gigantic locked-room murder case but each episode reveals a little bit more about everyone involved as interviews begin, crime scene investigations occur, etc.

Tomorrow is a webcomic about an unemployed college grad who falls into a coma after an accident leads to him falling off a bridge. While he is still alive, he is contacted by a pair of agents from the underworld who mistook him for being deceased and offer him a job helping them help other people from dying before their time as a way of earning karma/passing time until he wakes up from his coma (with the implication that doing so might result in his coma ending sooner). Surprsingly well written and gets into some pretty heart-wrenching territory as they investigate the people they've been tasked with saving.

The protagonist of Locker & Opener is, well, the 'Opener'- he has the supernatural ability to open anything and anyone he uses his power on, but only three times a day. He usually uses this gift to open people he encounters as part of his job as a detective to get them to confess to crimes, but one day he encounters a woman with a supernatural ability opposite his- the 'Locker', capable of shutting off anything and anyone she uses her power on, also only three times a day. A rivalry soon begins as they become aware of each other, with a cat-and mouse dynamic quickly asserting itself (and of course romantic tension, especially when other supernatural talents start entering the picture :v:)

Hey did you ever want a webcomic with the energy of a sports manga but it's about esports/an online arena fighter? Read Double Click.

Code Helix is an Indonesian webcomic about a high school student who's a tech expert and, upon witnessing one of his friends be mistreated by a classmate, is compelled into inventing an online hacker persona named Helix that he begins using to enact vigilante justice on others in the school, and as more people become aware of Helix's presence (and people begin reporting/requesting other students as his next target) things get more and more complicated, especially when one of his best friends is head of the Student Council (and is explicitly investigating Helix to reveal his true identity and stop his vigilante reporting).

Those are the big ones that aren't already, like, on the front page of the app semi-regularly :v: There's a bunch more that I read but these are like. the big ones right now

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Mix. posted:

Chasing Tails is a mystery comic about a group of nine college students who wind up trapped under a collapsed building for two weeks, only kept alive by the water from a damaged pipe and what little food they had left. Upon rescue, however, three of the nine are found dead, in such a way that it can't be considered anything but homicide. The story follows the detectives investigating this case as well as a renowned neuropsychiatrist who has been brought on as a special team member due to her connection to a similar incident in the past. It's functionally one gigantic locked-room murder case but each episode reveals a little bit more about everyone involved as interviews begin, crime scene investigations occur, etc.

I'm really liking this.
Started yesterday after reading your post, and now i'll have to fast-pass because it's genuinely addictive (even if i am skeptical it will have a conclusion that lives up to the story). Do you know if it's finished in Korea?
I'll be sure to check out your other recommedations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I'm really liking this.
Started yesterday after reading your post, and now i'll have to fast-pass because it's genuinely addictive (even if i am skeptical it will have a conclusion that lives up to the story). Do you know if it's finished in Korea?
I'll be sure to check out your other recommedations.

It's still going in Korea, the english release started only a couple months after the korean release so really all it means is they're a few chapters ahead of us

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The new Manhwa by the Cheese in the trap author is really cute. After school lessons for unripe apples

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I started reading The Newbie is Too Strong just cuz I was caught up on everything else and it seemed interesting, with the MC eating blue rocks on the cover.

Turns out it reminds me a LOT of "Omniscient Reader" meets "Tower of God" - with the MC going into a mysterious tower where he goes up the floors, but similar to Omniscient Reader he doesn't go in clueless and also the MC is basically streaming to viewers. The viewers just aren't gods, they're other people.

There are cute (but dangerous) little guys that remind me of Fizzgig from The Dark Crystal. Little mascot things called 'Popoi' that everyone hates because while they're cute, they're also basically teeth and stomachs. But the MC befriends them and it's great.

Worth a read IMO. Lots of mystery about the tower, the administrator, the MC's purpose and the like. And the running comentary from the viewers of his livestream are pretty great.

khy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 21, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the gayness power levels keep rising without limit in hero killer. it's good.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lmao at Prosecutor just showing up again like nothing happened. I love him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hero Killer and the Florist manhua have been cracking me the gently caress up recently

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

lmao at Prosecutor just showing up again like nothing happened. I love him.

that's an impostor. he's still wearing the necklace he gave to highnoon that she is holding in that scene.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Which one is the Florist one?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe “The Strongest Florist”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

Maybe “The Strongest Florist”

That one

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I posted it a bit ago in another thread but I'm reposting it here because it rules.

https://asura.gg/manga/academys-undercover-professor/

Magical steampunk. Technically isekai but that's mainly used as an excuse for the MC to use famous literary characters for his aliases.
(IE : When he's a wandering mercenary he goes by Machiavelli, when he goes off monster hunting he calls himself Van Helsing, and when he decides to set up an underworld criminal faction he calls himself Moriarty)

MC acts calm, cool, collected, and always in charge yet he's basically blundering through blindly and getting lucky most of the time.

The art is fantastic and despite only being 30 chapters in it's engaging to me.

khy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 5, 2022

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I just started reading that yesterday and it's really good.

He also called himself Arsene Lupin at one point.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's also available legally on Webtoon, though it's behind.

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/the-academys-undercover-professor/list?title_no=4636

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Reaper is translating the webnovel as well. c29 of the webtoon is ~c57 in the WN.