Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Then you make the currency with special magical watermarking or detection of magical generation or using a unique material or something like irl currency has for anti counterfeiting
Otherwise it's just a variation on the plot of Making Money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Super Jay Mann posted:

One of these days I’d like to see an isekai protagonist try to explain some modern economic paradigm only to be replied with “oh we tried that but it didn’t work cause this isn’t earth and things work differently.” Maybe fiat currency isn’t viable cause magic makes counterfeiting/fraud too easy and thus physical stores of value are necessary for any economy to function

You know, do something interesting with the idea of “another world” besides putting it forth as “Earth, but dumber”

Tbf, the joke is he doesn't quite understand it himself, and was just vaguely quoting whatever he remembered from textbooks. But other smarter characters understand the theory better and are able to do it instead, but attribute it to him being a genius anyways.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Romantic Killer with the obvious:

"AAAH DON'T LOOK AT MY UNDERWEAR"

"Meh it's probably not that good."

"HEY MY UNDERWEAR IS AWESOME HAVE A LOOK!"

Cliche but I still laughed.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I forgot that was out because of Netflix's stupid release model. Might have to check it out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I watched a few episodes of killer and it's funny. Netflix's release schedule is doing the show no favors but that's the same for a lot of their shows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But it's okay because now you can watch it with ads while still paying a monthly fee

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Super Jay Mann posted:

One of these days I’d like to see an isekai protagonist try to explain some modern economic paradigm only to be replied with “oh we tried that but it didn’t work cause this isn’t earth and things work differently.” Maybe fiat currency isn’t viable cause magic makes counterfeiting/fraud too easy and thus physical stores of value are necessary for any economy to function

You know, do something interesting with the idea of “another world” besides putting it forth as “Earth, but dumber”

"gently caress, so do I have to invent magic bitcoin? No, that's too evil."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Super Jay Mann posted:

I remember someone posting in here the farmer isekai doing something like that. Can't remember exactly what is was but it was like:

"Hey here's this thing we do on Earth to help your crops survive."

"I've actually done that already and my crops are still dying."

"Ah"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's a western web serial so not even slightly anime related but I love Ar'Kendrythist for having a lot of those interactions. mostly in the protagonists head because he's smart enough to figure that stuff out. but like yeah obviously the steppe cowboy nomads never invented better suspension for their wagons, they can just fix it with magic, and it's too expensive to fund mechanical research when basically anyone in their society who could do it cheaper can and will gently caress off to be a rich mage somewhere else lol.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Okay yeah I'm enjoying this.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The trailer for romantic killer looked interesting, so I'll probably check it out sometime this season. Did Netflix drop the whole show at once?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's twelve episodes up right now so I think that's everything that's been ordered.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Arknights anime sucks.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Clarste posted:

Arknights anime sucks.

Just like the game

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clarste posted:

Arknights anime sucks.

What's wrong with it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
DIY is really, really good. I need to get off my rear end and actually watch poo poo but it's so far my fave new show of the season.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

What's wrong with it?

I think so far for an anime that is adapting what is generally considered the game's worst story content it's doing alright so far? Mephisto is a poo poo but he was like that in the game too. Talulah and Faust are suitably threatening with their attacks getting some pretty heavy and solid sfx. There's still exposition convos but at least they happen during lulls in the action so you're not too pulled out of things. OP and ED are pretty good too.

Overall I personally wouldn't say it sucks but I wouldn't say it's amazing either. It's just solid.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's doing way better than Girls Frontline but that's not saying much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a decent adaptation of not-great material. it is probably one of the better mobage adaptations i have seen of the stuff that's pretty straightforwardly adapting the story but thats not very high praise considering that babylonia, a show with really nice production values adapting a pretty good story, managed to kind of suck due to a complete refusal to do stuff like cut the two identical wolf attacks in the first 10 minutes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Season 3 is gonna be hype

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fun fact: the end of episode two where Talulah makes her fiery entrance and the team goes "oh gently caress we're screwed" corresponds to everyone's favourite game stage, 1-7.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah it kinda of reminds me of Granblue Fantasy which was another straight forward adaptation of the least interesting parts of the story

Priconne doing its story super fast and more as a comedy is more an exception than the rule for Mobage anime

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I understand the complaint that it took way too long for players to understand what the hell was going on on a basic level, but the solution to that isn't to have gigantic infodumps every so often. It's well-animated only in the sense that they deliberately cut away from animating anything too complicated; there are a lot of cases where for example it'll just make a quick cut while playing a "thunk" sound effect to avoid having to show an attack or detail any kind of battle choreography that could be followed. Also the early story sucks and they don't seem at all interested in remedying that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean theres only so much they could do *to* remedy it. you cant really change the things that make it suck because the things that make it suck are important for the parts that dont suck as much. you'd have to completely rewrite the entire story forever, you can only do so much massaging to this one section. and frankly they are doing a lot to make it better even with it still not being that good. at the very least it feels slightly like a chaotic situation instead of walking down the same dirt road while reunion members pop up like goombas in super mario.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Season 3 is gonna be hype

I do wonder how they'll adapt the rest. If S1 covered chapters 0-3, maybe S2 can cover the Frostnova arc and S3 can do both Patriot and Talulah? Or maybe split the last two and go for 4 seasons.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly at this point I'm not sure I have faith in them pulling off a dramatic scene like Frostnova anyway. I mean, not that there's been anything comparable so far, I'm just not sure I have the faith.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah it kinda of reminds me of Granblue Fantasy which was another straight forward adaptation of the least interesting parts of the story

Priconne doing its story super fast and more as a comedy is more an exception than the rule for Mobage anime

Priconne's story also wildly diverges from what's in the game; I believe the prevailing theory is that it's a "but what if?" version that branches off from a later story event.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

GBF gonna be tight when it gets to season 5. Or whenever it gets to Nalhengrade.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nemo2342 posted:

Priconne's story also wildly diverges from what's in the game; I believe the prevailing theory is that it's a "but what if?" version that branches off from a later story event.

It's explicitly that.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Clarste posted:

Arknights anime sucks.

In addition to all the other complaints: in the game, I got the impression that when your guys talked to enemy commanders they were, like, shouting to each other across the battlefield from behind cover, rather than standing 1.5m away from a guy whom you're not hitting with your big hammer for some reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair shouting at each other across the battlefield would also look somewhat ridiculous in animation

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Needs more conversations with a knife to the throat, like that one Crownslayer bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It sucks that the GFL anime was both just bad on a technical level and didn't find a way to jump straight into the chapter 10 twist, because now we'll get to see any of the cool parts animated.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

to be fair shouting at each other across the battlefield would also look somewhat ridiculous in animation

https://youtu.be/OBm3wnQH32M

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The thing that distracts me is how it bends over backwards to make what I assume was the player character in the game as featureless as possible. Like instead of calling them Doctor they might as well have just have gone all the way and called them Protagonist or INSERT NAME HERE.

Say what you want about the FGO and GFL animes, they gave their main characters a name and appearance at the risk of annoying any weirdos who would get upset that “their” character isn’t in the show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but the player character is also like that in game. that isnt the show thats just the canon design. they dont have a canon name or canon face. if anything the anime is giving them far more concrete an identity than the game ever did.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

their featureless and identityless shtick is also tied in fairly heavily to the plot. that isnt them bending over backwards to preserve people's player characters thats just the plot. its the character. its the idea. its the concept. its the theory. its the hook. its the theme. what

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

their featureless and identityless shtick is also tied in fairly heavily to the plot. that isnt them bending over backwards to preserve people's player characters thats just the plot. its the character. its the idea. its the concept. its the theory. its the hook. its the theme. what

I see. I guess it can't be helped if that was a big deal in the original game's plot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive seen some fan designs for the doctor but its also not really the kind of character that people self-insert on much i feel like, very few of the characters in the game express anything like romantic interest or affection and a fair amount of the main cast outright dislike them.

there's not even like, a gender option for male/female in the game, they're just referred to ambiguously in general. so keeping the gender kinda ambiguous is cool imo. idk, doctor isnt exactly an amazing main character but the more mysterious and ambiguous parts of them are the interesting parts, i really dont want the doctor to be like, A Guy. i dont think itd improve the character any and itd remove the more interesting angles they have.

like ritsuka in the fgo anime might have a canon name but hes still a void of personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

like ritsuka in the fgo anime might have a canon name but hes still a void of personality.

Yeah that was a bit of a missed opportunity. I guess they were afraid because too much deviation would end up changing the storyline, but imo they should've taken that risk.

Personally I would’ve loved to see the Ritsuka from the Grand Carnival specials put into the serious Babylonia storyline. Maybe dial down the overall zaniness a bit but keep him or her as a hyperactive eccentric who’s always coming up with crazy plans.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 5, 2022